Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any country you would not go to even if you were paid to go there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭jmreire

glasso wrote: »
    which can be traced back to the huge political corruption and elites under the Shah of Iran

e.g.

Sure they did all that ( and probably a whole lot more, the Savak were not exactly known for their kind and gentle disposition) during the Reza's reign. And yet, if Iranians had the chance today to wind back the clock to the Shah's time, they would do it, Savak and extravagant patrtying not withstanding. That shows just how bad the present situation is for ordinary Iranian's. They managed to depose the Shah when push came to shove, but so far, they have been unable to remove the theocracy, not even in 42 years of trying. The Savak could learn from their replacements, and the Elites of the Shahs time were replaced by even worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

Myanmar

Are you serious! Went to Myanmar for 3 weeks in 2013 amazing country, it was just opening to tourism. Probably the best holiday I've been on, maybe not the best time to go now because of the current unrest though.

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Montenegro - The capital Podgorica is known as the most boring capital city in Europe/The World, and for good reason. There's literally nothing to see there bar a Hard Rock Cafe. Also the people are terrible; I believe Russia pumped a lot of money into it to stop them joining the EU in a referendum so they have a very hard man/anti-West vibe going on there. I got called a couple of gay slurs randomly in the street and in a shopping centre, I'm not gay for the record, but I cannot think of anywhere else that anything like that has happened to me and I'm fairly well travelled to a lot of random places; Argentina, Uruguay, Albania, North Korea etc...

I also went to one of the more picturesque towns by the coast: Kotor, and while nice, it was a complete tourist trap; taxi drivers, restaurants all out to screw you, even more expensive than any of the similar Croatian towns by the sea; Dubrovnik etc...

Either go to Croatia or Albania (if you're feeling more adventurous) I guarantee you'll see similar **** and have a hell of a better and cheaper time!

Montenegro is one of my favourite countries in the world!I
    It is way cheaper then Croatia, particularly Dubrovnik, don't know how you.could possibly have found it more expensive!
    Kotor, is without doubt, one of the most beautiful places in the world, and definitely on that coastline.
    I have spent a lot of time in Croatia and Albania and I love them both, but I would highly recommend Montenegro for anyone.
    Not podgorico though, it's pretty boring.If you don't like Balkan towns.....

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Nigeria . Not if I was paid

I am sure there is not wrong with the country..... the other elements maybe the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

I think for the vast majority of these posts, its typically not the country that's at fault, its the poster with their closed attitude.

One thing that has astonished me in every country I've ever been in, is how much nicer and kinder and more educated the people are than I had imagined.

The world is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭Hamachi

poisonated wrote: »
    I know you didn’t ask me but what I didn’t like about China and why I would never go back was 1)everyone kept spitting so much and it was overall pretty dirty.

Yeah. The prevalence of spitting in China is disgusting. Walking down the street and some guy thinking nothing of spitting out a massive green, dirty phlegm at your feet.

The pollution is pretty bad in the big cities too. Myself and a colleague used to go for a jog after work every day. I was totally fine but he was coughing up all kinds of crap after a week.

Overall, I really enjoyed it though. Beijing is incredibly safe, the food is good, and we had some mad nights out in the Sanlitun district.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

Been to a lot of places, none that I wouldn't go back to. The wealthy Middle Eastern Oil countries don't really appeal to me, though I would never say never.

Iran seems fantastic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭Xander10

Belarus

One thing that has astonished me in every country I've ever been in, is how much nicer and kinder and more educated the people are than I had imagined.

Not disputing your post, but how can you decide that people are nice, kind, and educated if you’re only in the country briefly and don’t speak the local language proficiently?

I lived like a local for a decade in another country. If it taught me anything, it’s that the gamut of humanity exists everywhere. Really nice people vs. awful arseholes, super smart vs. thick as pig ****, outward- vs. inward-looking. There’s light and shadow everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

I know its not a country,but visiting dubai bears no appeal to me atal

Everything there from people i know worked there and pics seem just completly and utter consumption for sake of it,flashy and greed

Likewise with Abu Dhabi. I went there cos I was paid, tho!
    You can see why the world is in its ass with the money and exploitation culture. Kip

• Advertisement

I think for the vast majority of these posts, its typically not the country that's at fault, its the poster with their closed attitude.

The world is amazing.

That's it basically, people go and visit other countries and then judge them by Irish standards.
    Other countries have different cultures and societal norms. Just take them as you find them, don't judge by your own (small limited home) standards, and they are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Any country with Sharia law....

Depressing eastern bloc countries like Belarus, Moldova etc.

Israel for obvious reasons

A majority of Sub Saharan African countries

I dont think we in Ireland realise how good we have it

2 years ago I went to Banda Aceh in northern Sumatra, Indonesia. Was a bit apprehensive as they have sharia Law there, but westerners don't have to wory about as long as you are respective of their laws, has a great time there. Great beaches, food, lovely people, would Highly recommend. I don't think I would go to any Arab country with sharia law though.

Xander10 wrote: »
    Belarus

Great country to visit.

You won't have many finer strolls than a stroll around Grodno.

John Doe1 wrote: »

Depressing eastern bloc countries like Belarus, Moldova etc.

Can't speak about Moldova but Belarus isn't remotely depressing.

Russia. Heard they don't like other nationalities there

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Turkey. The only "good" thing people have to say about the place is that it's so cheap.

Tunisia, for the same reason.

North Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

The world seems a lot more dangerous in this decade. 15 years ago I'd have gone nearly anywhere, except North Korea. And Iraq at that time. Now I'm thinking Europe, USA, Canada, Australia and Singapore are the only places I'd go.

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Turkey. The only "good" thing people have to say about the place is that it's so cheap.

The coastal resorts in Turkey are a nightmare if you’re there with your girlfriend. Went on a beach holiday with an ex- of mine who was very blonde. She wanted to go home after a week.

Esho wrote: »
    Russia. Heard they don't like other nationalities there
    Another country I enjoyed immensely.

Other nationalities are perfectly fine.

LGBTQ people, less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,521 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

rn wrote: »
    The world seems a lot more dangerous in this decade. 15 years ago I'd have gone nearly anywhere, except North Korea. And Iraq at that time. Now I'm thinking Europe, USA, Canada, Australia and Singapore are the only places I'd go.

The world was as big a dump 15 years ago as it is now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

glasso wrote: »
    did you take many photos? brought the auld drone along?
    Took hundreds of photos including the "Bobby Sands" Street sign outside the British Embassy, chatted with soldiers outside the Russian embassy about Spurs and Roy Keane, had every almost tour guide bring me to their home for dinner, got woken up on a bus by the butt of an ak47 and proceeded to have an in depth chat with the soldier about what I enjoyed about Iran and University, had a TV sports presenter buy me a tourist information book in Tabriz Airport where I stood out a little from the crowd.

I could literally write a book about my experiences there in just a month alone. Not being ignorant to its issues but I just love talking about what great a time I had ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Did you come home with a complimentary box of pistachio nuts?
    In an ornate box, your missus now keeps her jewellery in

I actually came back with a Jewellry box made of Camel bone, a little bracelet from an old lady in a hotel and a cross from the Armenian cathedral in Tehran. The nuts there were delicious though.

AMKC wrote: »
    QUOTE=Montage of Feck;117401262]Iran, as the successor of the Persian empire, has got three thousand years of history and culture going on, so don't rule it out completely.

It is a place I would love to go to and see all that great history but probably never will because of the way Iran is.[/quote][/quote]

All you have to do is worry about your own safety not “the way” a country is. There’s always going to be different ideological systems in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Nope. I would travel anywhere. Not into the middle of a live way zone obvs.

fvp4 wrote: »
    It is a place I would love to go to and see all that great history but probably never will because of the way Iran is.

All you have to do is worry about your own safety not “the way” a country is. There’s always going to be different ideological systems in the world.[/QUOTE]

I would love to go to Iran too.
    And the DRC, "Kurdistan" . Everyone I've met from there has been brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

This thread reminded me of Turkey. Yes, it was cheap and the weather was great, by my god they are in the dark ages. The women in our party were unhappy with all the attention. I think we thought it would be more modern as internationally that is the image it has tried to present itself.

No, a very patriarchal society.

Won't be going back there.

I would think long and hard about going to Russia, if I was being paid to go there.
    Never met a Russian who wasn't racist or sexist, reminds me of hiw the Brits used to think about the Irish pre- Riverdance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Genre..

Kazbekhistan

Absolute hellhole

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Really disliked petro-state gulf countries UAE and Qatar. Don't know how to articulate why but they just gave me the creeps, plastic societies. Enjoyed other Arab countries like Jordan and Lebanon though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

great thread,

I'm very interested to read the debate especially about Iran and Belarus.
    I've heard Iran is amazing and i think its most certainly been confirmed by a few great posts on this thread. I will bump Iran up the list of destinations for a family holiday.. (i wonder what its like for 3 small kids?, i'm sure its fine too).

Belarus is not a country i would have given much attention to visiting, however some of the posts have definitely heightened my curiosity about the place.

I was supposed to go to Albania last summer but Covid got in the way.. dying to go there.. i think this region has a lot to offer, Sarajevo is class, as is Croatia, and Montenegro..

I'm quite cautious of Mexico and other central American countries like Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, i'd love to go but i think i'd have difficulty relaxing there.. for fear of being robbed, or worse.. might add Brazil to that list too.

Australia - too far.. for some reason i enjoyed reading the posts that are critical of Australia...

Fascinating to read some of the posters who seem to have travelled to everywhere.. fair play.. its one of the best things to do in life..

Advertisement