Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE Spring Cleaning 2021 - Braun Strowman, Aliester Black, Buddy Murphy & More

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Brock and Bobby could be cool.

https://twitter.com/TigerDriver9X/status/1222276615784235009?s=09

Brock gets a lot of shít but no-one in wrestling has his kind of aura and he works well with almost anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

briany wrote: »
    When I see fans on the Internet talk about wrestling improving, it seems to me they're really talking about wrestling returning to some bygone age whether it be regaining the edge of the attitude era or having the storytelling of the 80s. I'm not saying that this is how you specifically see improvements happening, but just in the general chatter around that idea.

But my fear is that wrestling, at least in the west, is in an irreversible decline and it won't be that long before there won't be a single active talent who has come up in the territory system and every adult attending the shows won't care who wins or loses but rather comment on the form with which 540 splash was done.

And then it's just a silly gymnastics performance staffed by 'artists' who profusely thank fans on Twitter for their ongoing support. This takeover is already well underway. The whole thing gets faker and more formulaic by the week and eventually everyone gives up caring, and that's the end of current wrestling.

While I understand your concern I do think this is slightly hyperbolic. Firstly, a lot of the issues you just mention are already being addressed by the existence of AEW. For example there are no territories any more but we have (or at least pre-pandemic had) a thriving indie scene. AEW still lets its guys work indies so they still get that breadth of experience that you cant get from learning a specific style in the performance centre.
    Wins and losses matter, it's a buffet style show so youre getting the flippy sh1t but also the mat wrestling, the brawling, the grappling, the strong style etc... and if you want someone who lives the gimmick, on and off Twitter, MJF is yer man.

The business has always gone through periods of peaks and declines, I'm sure those in the depths of the New Era thought they'd never see the likes of Wrestlemania 3 again

Loughc wrote: »
    While I agree with the Vince issue the problem is whoever they sell to will get an entertainment show runner in.

The big advantage AEW has is Tony Khan is a WRESTLING fan. That’s why AEW is so much better. They pay attention to the small details. Whoever buys WWE will licence it to feck and use it as an entertainment vessel nothing more.

Whoever they do keep on as wrestling advisors will still be in the WWE model that’s gotten so stale.

Apparently, Nick Khan is already filtering out a lot of the more seasoned backroom people and replacing them with the likes of Hollywood execs, so it doesnt bode well for them returning to a wrestling format any time in the near future

Who is someone you would like to see released so they can go to AEW for example (not including untouchables like Roman, Becky, Rollins, Orton etc.)

I would love to see Asuka go to AEW. I think she's brilliant.

If I could get Walter out of WWE and into AEW I'd happily never see that Then Now Forever logo ever again

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Didn't Braun make some smart alecky comments about Independent wrestlers last year?

There's some schadenfreude for you.

He made a couple of questionable comments about how he worked his way to the top and others crying about the pandemic were freeloaders.
    It was a real "why dont homeless people just buy houses" moment. Did not endear me to him as a person

War Machine could be on the block as well.

God I hope so. They'd be amazing in AEW's already brilliant tag division. Retcon all the goofy main roster sh1te and get them back to their roots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,300 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For all this talk about people gong to AEW, where would you put them? The roster is already bloated. Who should get less time for the likes of Black or Murphy?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    For all this talk about people gong to AEW, where would you put them? The roster is already bloated. Who should get less time for the likes of Black or Murphy?

It's a good point. Hopefully the launch of Rampage will open up a wee bit more space. There a still a few people I'd like to see them pick up but not many

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

AEW do have another show coming soon Rampage so the roster could do with another couple of recognisable names.

• Advertisement

A load could be cut from AEW but I don't see Khan doing it, he seems to just let people's contracts expire rather than cutting them (unless it's someone like Havoc when stuff came out about him). I'd say a lot of contracts are due to expire next year though if 3 year contracts were signed in 2019 when the company started.

I see Rampage brought up as well as if it's going to be the answer to everything, but from what I gather, after the initial few weeks to get people watching by having some big matches it could go the way of Main Event or just be a televised version of Dark and Elevation. As someone said, those shows will even be shorter.

With Kong and Shanna's contracts expiring, others must have been signed around the same time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I guess as one door opens for a recently released WWE wrestler, another current AEW wrestler will be shown another :p

I definitely see Braun re-signing with them in a few months at a reduced rate.

I see Rampage brought up as well as if it's going to be the answer to everything, but from what I gather, after the initial few weeks to get people watching by having some big matches it could go the way of Main Event or just be a televised version of Dark and Elevation. As someone said, those shows will even be shorter.

With Kong and Shanna's contracts expiring, others must have been signed around the same time?

I dont know where youre gathering that from. Khan has repeatedly said it will be on a par with Dynamite in terms of importance and storyline development

It astonishes me they're legally able to do that. They really are a scumb@g of a company

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

If he's not done with wrestling, and he very may well be (possible he requested a release maybe), I would say he will be back sometime down the line alright.
    I dunno if AEW need him really, does he bring a huge casual audience? My kid would watch if he showed up, Braun and DB were his favourites after Brock.

Necro wrote: »
    If he's not done with wrestling, and he very may well be (possible he requested a release maybe), I would say he will be back sometime down the line alright.
    I dunno if AEW need him really, does he bring a huge casual audience? My kid would watch if he showed up, Braun and DB were his favourites after Brock.

His Tweet seemed to indicate he might be done with wrestling altogether.
    Like, he was a WWE guy from the ground up. I dont see him hitting the indies to hone his craft or taking a 75% pay cut to work on Impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Nicked this from some wrestling twitter account, Braun was on a MASSIVE guaranteed deal.

E3B92OUXwAE9CKP?format=png&name=large

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

His Tweet seemed to indicate he might be done with wrestling altogether. Like, he was a WWE guy from the ground up. I dont see him hitting the indies to hone his craft or taking a 75% pay cut to work on Impact.

It's very possible. Considering how he was only in a main event of a PPV last month it does come as something of a surprise more than the others. He very well may be done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Nicked this from some wrestling twitter account, Braun was on a MASSIVE guaranteed deal.

E3B92OUXwAE9CKP?format=png&name=large

"Two years past his peak".. and who's fault was that eh execs?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I dont know where youre gathering that from. Khan has repeatedly said it will be on a par with Dynamite in terms of importance and storyline development

I sure hope so, I also hope they bring in some more belts for it cause the Bucks tying up the tag titles forever is really a hindrance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,893 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So bring Brock back for 2 RAW's a month and a few PPV's a year stick the World Title on him and very rarely have it seen on TV and pay him $10m a year for the pleasure.

I can see why they need to cut the dead weight to pay for that alright.

"Two years past his peak".. and who's fault was that eh execs?

"Two years past his peak" - it's a stupid statement right? :pac:
    What about Orton, he's stale years. Goldberg was past it too.

I think the REAL words to use were "they dropped the ball with him" or "he hit the glass ceiling" one or the other. The chap is only 37 and not like is riddled with injuries.

Maybe just burned by WWE. Like when Main Event was announced they made out like it was a big deal, which it was for about a month. Was the same reason it annoyed whichever network it was on.
    And raw going to 3 hours was expected to shine the light more on underutilised talent when instead it just mean more time for the same people.

But even then, there are ones you could go weeks without seeing compete on dynamite who should make it to Rampage at least then, but if these new WWE guys are brought in then it pushes them down again.

Or Dynamite could just take their time for a change instead of rushing everything, like what happened with SCU when they lost and it quickly cut to the back instead of seeing them together in the ring for the last time.

Has any non wrestling outsider ever come into WWE management and had as much power and control that Nick Khan seems to have?

He isn't even there a year and he has streamlined the company and overseen a lot of staff losing their jobs be it onscreen talent or office staff.

He now looks to be the main power player there after Vince.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,363 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Has any non wrestling outsider ever come into WWE management and had as much power and control that Nick Khan seems to have?

He isn't even there a year and he has streamlined the company and overseen a lot of staff losing their jobs be it onscreen talent or office staff.

He now looks to be the main power player there after Vince.

Nope not WWE anyway it’s always been a closed shop even when vince showed what was in the shop so to speak. I wonder how Stephanie feels about old nick Khan coming in and being the favourite child of the boss ? I mean Stephanie has done a masterful job of moving herself into a position of power and past her brother Shane and now it seems she’ll be the brand officer which isn’t a president of the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Vince obviously wanted to hire Tony Khan but got his non union Mexican equivalent.

Seriously though, it doesnt matter to me what happens behind the curtain because its the product thats in the toilet and it shows no signs of changing. Its been this way for years.

WWE has been mismanaged for years now, pandering to an audience of 1 (Vince) trying to portray itself as an entertainment company without saying the word 'wrestling'. Its finally turned me off after years and years of complaining and never switching off, hoping for them to turn a corner. But the sad fact is, people have been swotching off slowly for years and they will continue to be the creative force that never misses and opportunity to miss an opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,909 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

You'd feel a small bit Bruan would be the type of guy to return to wwe in a few years

Ruby riott is the one I think will go to AEW and make a huge impact. She is a bloody good wrestler and she had a hand in training with ronda which shows that WWE had a lot of trust in her to be able to help one of their stars. Imagine her and serena deeb helping the AEW women’s roster ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Ruby riott is the one I think will go to AEW and make a huge impact.?
    Ha

Was that coincidental ?

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Ha

Was that coincidental ?

Haha. I completely missed it when I wrote the post. Completely by accident.

What is
    Adam Braun and Blackend doing in the impact zone

PWInsider reporting that Strowman is charging five-figure booking fee for appearances on the indies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,542 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Black could be back

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Black could be back

'Back in Black'

I'll get my coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

PWInsider reporting that Strowman is charging five-figure booking fee for appearances on the indies.

I am praying Tony Khan stays well clear. He's stale AF and clearly has notions.

So he is charging at least $10,000+ which is well too much!
    Most indys can only get 50-100 people. Like, not talking about big indies but the average one. Anyone subscribe to IWTV on here? They show live indy events. They draw nothing as expected. They're small. Even if they charged $30 a ticket they would need to get 333 people there just to cover Braun's fee :pac: and he'd want his fee up front lol.

One of the lads on Cultaholic said, in relation to braun's fee, that a couple of lads were being paid that when What Culture wrestling was going and that's mental. No wonder they went under.

We can all understand where Braun is coming from because accordingly he is well off and something has to make it worth his while. But a wrestling promoter would be insane to even consider paying that :p

There's also an age old thing in wrestling if you think someone is a mark and has money you charge an insane amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭ThePott

PTH2009 wrote: »
    'Back in Black'

I'll get my coat
    Gonna dock you a mark here for not saying I'll hit the sack :pac:

Dave reporting that the WWE have now added a clause to contracts so when a talent is released they will not be allowed to use there WWE name in way shape or form after they are released.

So they cannot even use formally know as or former WWE superstar at conventions, Indy dates, or even at signings they cannot give autographs using their former WWE name.

• Advertisement

PWInsider followed up today saying 20k to 25k plus first class fights and hotel, food and ground transport for a 3 hour appearance is what his manager has been quoting promoters who have made contact.

PWInsider followed up today saying 20k to 25k plus first class fights and hotel, food and ground transport for a 3 hour appearance is what his manager has been quoting promoters who have made contact.

Unreal notions this lad has after eating at the top table for a few years. I know he apparently apologised for his comments last year and that’s good but it’s clear unlike many of his friends in wwe and elsewhere that he’s never had to work his way up.

Unreal notions this lad has after eating at the top table for a few years. I know he apparently apologised for his comments last year and that’s good but it’s clear unlike many of his friends in wwe and elsewhere that he’s never had to work his way up.

Braun Strowman; Silver spoon MFer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't see how it's notions. He's allowed to set his price, if someone wants to pay the huge fee that's on them. It's clearly a prohibitively large fee where any promoter isn't gonna make their money back so he probably doesn't want any bookings.

If he was making a million a year then he's got $300,000 or so coming to him over the next few months. If I were him I'd be kicking back and taking a nice break.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I don't see how it's notions. He's allowed to set his price, if someone wants to pay the huge fee that's on them. It's clearly a prohibitively large fee where any promoter isn't gonna make their money back so he probably doesn't want any bookings.

If he was making a million a year then he's got $300,000 or so coming to him over the next few months. If I were him I'd be kicking back and taking a nice break.

Indeed, that old adage - "Everyone has a price."

He's just setting his.

J. Marston wrote: »

He’s allowed to set his price alright but the promoters are allowed to tell him to jog on when they get his demands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,542 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Joe and Black linked to Nxt returns

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

He’s allowed to set his price alright but the promoters are allowed to tell him to jog on when they get his demands.

Which is the point.

He doesn’t want to work for “small” promoters. That level of requested payment is basically a gate to immediately cut out offers from places he doesn’t want to work.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Which is the point.

He doesn’t want to work for “small” promoters. That level of requested payment is basically a gate to immediately cut out offers from places he doesn’t want to work.

Yet realistically, how many Independent promotions worldwide could afford Braun and the demands his agent's quoting?

You could run several shows for his demands.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Yet realistically, how many Independent promotions worldwide could afford Braun and the demands his agent's quoting?

You could run several shows for his demands.

I think there’s a weird issue where people are saying this as if that means Braun should lower his demands.

Braun doesn’t want to work small shows. He’s set a price that, as you point out, most Indy promoters won’t find reasonable. If one decides to go for it, fair enough, Braun gets paid a small fortune. But that’s unlikely to happen.

That’s fine. Both are right, Braun doesn’t want to do shows and shows won’t want to book him. Braun isn’t hard up for money, nor does he seem desperate to wrestle. He’s made his choice. He’s under no obligation to go the Indy route or make himself easily available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I don't blame him for setting the price high anyway. He is useful as a special attraction used very sparingly, as soon as you use up that lustre he ends up exactly like he did in WWE, a freakish giant you no longer believe to be a real threat who is neither a great worker or a great promo.

At the prices mentioned AEW could book him for three Dynamites and a PPV and get a hype generating storyline for about 100k. NJPW could do the same, and maybe Impact.

The territories era would have suited him down to the ground, touring the country and keeping it fresh to local audiences. Not sure how anyone could keep him interesting longer term.

• Advertisement
Advertisement