Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uber

1212223242527»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Apart from what you saw, Uber doesn't operate here

If I pick "now" you get an option of a regular cab or a "black" cab service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,400 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If I pick "now" you get an option of a regular cab or a "black" cab service.

The differentiation is around the quality and spec of the car. So you can choose a nicer taxi, should you prefer. But it's a regulated taxi either way.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The differentiation is around the quality and spec of the car. So you can choose a nicer taxi, should you prefer. But it's a regulated taxi either way.

Yes, I know, I was asking why I wasn't offered the standard cab when scheduling an UBER. edit, sorry, scheduling a taxi through the UBER app (some people got confused...)

I don't know what DaCor meant by "apart from what you saw, UBER doesn't operate here" - they use regular taxis all the time.

Anyway, in the end, I didn't schedule, just booked a live booking when I needed it, and the regular taxi option appeared.

So perhaps they don't allow scheduling except for the 'black cab' option.

Yes, I know, I was asking why I wasn't offered the standard cab when scheduling an UBER.

I don't know what DaCor meant by "apart from what you saw, UBER doesn't operate here" - they use regular taxis all the time.

Anyway, in the end, I didn't schedule, just booked a live booking when I needed it, and the regular taxi option appeared.

UBER don’t operate in Ireland. They have nothing to do with black cabs.

Sorry, I had assumed that people would know what I meant when I referred to them "operating in Ireland" in the sense that they use the services of regular cabs, and premium "black" cabs (rather than private cars).

They do operate in Ireland, in the sense that they engage with registered taxis and take payment on the UBER app etc. I presume you meant they don't offer the private car service here.

I shouldn't have referred to them as "uber cabs" as that obviously confused a couple of people, though I thought that they would understand "schedule black", vs. normal cabs.

Sorry, I had assumed that people would know what I meant when I referred to them "operating in Ireland" in the sense that they use the services of regular cabs, and premium "black" cabs (rather than private cars).

They do operate in Ireland, in the sense that they engage with registered taxis and take payment on the UBER app etc. I presume you meant they don't offer the private car service here.

I shouldn't have referred to them as "uber cabs" as that obviously confused a couple of people, though I thought that they would understand "schedule black", vs. normal cabs.

I mean, UBER do not operate in Ireland.

ah the joys of trying to talk to someone about Uber

I mean, UBER do not operate in Ireland.

Yep, heard you the first time, thanks. It would be great if you could elaborate as to what you mean by operate? I've already said that I know (and knew) that they aren't allowed operate in Ireland using private cars. But they do operate in Ireland in my view - given that they have contractual relationships with taxis and take payment, and offer bookings through the app.

ah the joys of trying to talk to someone about Uber

Not sure what you mean, if I was paranoid I would nearly take that as some form of sarcasm. But why would I get that in a forum where most of us try to help each other ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

Uber DO operate in Ireland using licenced taxis and chauffeurs, in the UK they use licenced private hire cars (known here as Hackneys). They do not use unlicensed drivers or cars in the UK contrary to popular opinion they do not use regular people in their family car, though it may appear that way as licenced private hire do not have roof signs or signage, they do use regular part time people in their own cars in places like Australia and the USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's some terminology confusion here from "Uber Black" to "black cabs" I think. Totally different things.

Uber Black vehicles here are either registered taxis or registered limos, above a specific standard.

A Black Cab is a UK registered taxi; which Uber in the UK doesn't often used - they use hackneys, something we still have but are extremely rare.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    There's some terminology confusion here from "Uber Black" to "black cabs" I think. Totally different things.

Uber Black vehicles here are either registered taxis or registered limos, above a specific standard.

A Black Cab is a UK registered taxi; which Uber in the UK doesn't often used - they use hackneys, something we still have but are extremely rare.

I don't think so to be honest.

I think some people are being deliberately pedantic, when my post would have been quite clear to most people, bar people trying to be smartass by trying to link with UK black cabs and pedantically trying to insist that Uber doesn't operate here, which it does, albeit in a different way through arrangements with licenced taxis.

Anyway, I'll leave karma to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Thing is taxis in Ireland are of a far lower standard than the UK especially London. Drivers in Ireland don't have to anywhere near as rigorous a test as the knowledge. In Ireland I have that the standard of driving and directions from some taxi drivers is poor especially late at night.

Also the standard of vehicles in the UK is much higher all taxis there are wheelchair accessible at least in London but not the case here. I think personally it should be mandatory for all taxi drivers to buy a wheelchair accessible vehicle when they go to change vehicle. Minimum age for a taxi in Ireland is 10 years old so if it was made mandatory for all new taxis to be wheelchair accessible we would have a 100% wheelchair accessible taxi fleet within 10 years.

GT89 wrote: »
    Thing is taxis in Ireland are of a far lower standard than the UK especially London. Drivers in Ireland don't have to anywhere near as rigorous a test as the knowledge. In Ireland I have that the standard of driving and directions from some taxi drivers is poor especially late at night.

Also the standard of vehicles in the UK is much higher all taxis there are wheelchair accessible at least in London but not the case here. I think personally it should be mandatory for all taxi drivers to buy a wheelchair accessible vehicle when they go to change vehicle. Minimum age for a taxi in Ireland is 10 years old so if it was made mandatory for all new taxis to be wheelchair accessible we would have a 100% wheelchair accessible taxi fleet within 10 years.

what does any of that have to do with the topic at hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,400 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yes, I know, I was asking why I wasn't offered the standard cab when scheduling an UBER. edit, sorry, scheduling a taxi through the UBER app (some people got confused...)

Apologies - I didn't fully understand your original question.

What you're asking is a good question - it would seem to me that scheduling taxis should be possible. I don't really know why they only allow "premium" options for scheduling tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Apologies - I didn't fully understand your original question.

What you're asking is a good question - it would seem to me that scheduling taxis should be possible. I don't really know why they only allow "premium" options for scheduling tbh.

In all likelihood, (until recently ) many "normal taxi services" such as pre bookings have been hard to cater for (many drivers feeling it's not worth or safe working until CoVid 5 ends )

Given that Uber have a minority of taxis signed up to it ( majority seem to be with Free Now) , it's plausible that they just didn't have the cars to cover requests

• Registered Users Posts: 4 grahamdunne32

nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Mr.S wrote: »
    Of course they operate in Ireland? Registered EU HQ is in Limerick and the Irish business is run out of Dublin.

Uber isn't just Uber X.

To be clearer, the standard Uber business model of people using their own cars to give lifts and charge people doesn't work here in Ireland. No-one can charge people for lifts unless they are a PSV driver in a PSV vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Yesterday I shared a uber from Camden to Luton Airport with an American couple. I paid for the uber and one their mobile numbers after we got out of the car. They didn't have mobile internet and we very late fot the flight to Rome.

Is there a way to split the bill after the journey?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Has uber arrived in Ireland ? A friend swears they got an Uber in Dundalk, Co Louth today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They operate by using fully licenced taxis, not by using any oul vehicle/driver as they do in other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Ordered an XL uber the other day as there was 5 of us, they sent a regular sized Prius

Not very impressive if they can't get the basics right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

When you get offered a driver it tells you the car type and has a picture.

Did a different car show up to the one stated ?

Never had it happen to me but I would refuse and report it.

It said it was a Prius picking us up so I just assumed it was one of the 7 seater priuses that are out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes but unfortunately they are only licensed taxis allowed use it here, rather than the US equivalent

Another strange one last night, ordered an uber, 5 minutes away, great, then 8 minutes away... Hmm

Checked the map only to see the driver was going AWAY from my location, cancelled and ordered a new one... Very strange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Billydoc

Hi, quick question or questions about Uber Driver,

I know the costs involved are high but to be a Uber driver who isn’t a taxi driver,

Is this right?

I’d have to do the SPSV licence first.
    Get taxi /hackey insurance on the car.

And away ya go……

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Uber is dangerous and unregulated but Irish taxis and drivers are perfectly safe....

McEntee vows to reform taxi licensing system in wake of Shorten rape sentencing

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/2024/07/26/mcentee-vows-to-reform-taxi-licensing-system-in-wake-of-shorten-rape-sentencing/

Advertisement