Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula E - Gen.2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,154 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So they're all about conserving power yet failing to use up power when it's unnecessary yields a penalty?

For attack mode yeah. Otherwise drivers may decide not to even bother trying to get attack mode in the first place.

pjohnson wrote: »
    For attack mode yeah. Otherwise drivers may decide not to even bother trying to get attack mode in the first place.

Is that the silly going-off line thing?

Sorry not just trying to be awkward here but in this case if he had the power does that not mean he ran offline to get the power-up but then just didn't use it all in time? I just don't get the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Is that the silly going-off line thing?

Sorry not just trying to be awkward here but in this case if he had the power does that not mean he ran offline to get the power-up but then just didn't use it all in time? I just don't get the point.

You could strategically choose to only activate your second attack mode right at the end, so you could save the power you would otherwise end up using during the attack mode, and use it earlier in the race to gain positions or to pull enough of a gap so you don't lose much ground when going off-line to take the attack.

AM is really the only available strategic option the series has right now, so there has to be some threat to prevent the teams from ignoring it. Just think of it as a Joker lap.

So what if you activate it but have a light foot while it's activated? Functionally it's the same, you haven't used up any extra power so that should be punishable as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

The recalculation killed it. 1 Minute and 1 lap to go 20%left, recalculation happening suddenly 6% left.
    But here the race leader could have crawled to the restart to reduce the last two laps to one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

flazio wrote: »
    Race Live on Quest

Is Sunday's race also on Quest?

Qualifying not on Quest this morning and I cannot seem to find the schedule for Today's(Sunday's) race on any channel

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

rock22 wrote: »
    Is Sunday's race also on Quest?

Qualifying not on Quest this morning and I cannot seem to find the schedule for Today's(Sunday's) race on any channel

thanks
    I do not think it is. I can not find it either. Probably just highlights somewhere later. I would say this one is behind a pay per view somewhere where I do not know.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

It's on Eurosport 2 if you have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I had a look around, in Ireland it says it's on Virgin Media Sports and Eurosport 2.

In the UK the Fe website says it's on the BBC iPlayer and the red button, but there's no listing for it live on the RB Freesat channel. I'll try pressing the red button at 12.30pm to see if there's a stream.

We're not really allowed to talk about VPNs and streaming from the iPlayer ;)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

So what if you activate it but have a light foot while it's activated? Functionally it's the same, you haven't used up any extra power so that should be punishable as well?

Just asked them the question there (they actually answered it live on the TV)! Both Jack and Karun said yes you can, but in theory so can everyone else. As everyone has the same amount of power it's a net zero difference of available power

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote: »
    Just asked them the question there (they actually answered it live on the TV)! Both Jack and Karun said yes you can, but in theory so can everyone else. As everyone has the same amount of power it's a net zero difference of available power

You're famous now, that might bring my Erdos-Bacon number down by 1. :pac:

I dunno, bit like with F1 it all seems like a hammer to crack a nut in terms of the rules.

Ms

Highlights of today's race are on Quest at 12am.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

A race here in Vancouver next year up the road from me. With the horrible past few weeks I have had, and more recent good news, a race in the city I live in...a nice smile brought to my face.

Eh, it's race week...:)

Monaco this weekend with just the one race, on Saturday at 3pm. Qualy is at 11am in the morning.

Usual stations: Virgin Media Sports (Ireland), Eurosport 2 (Ireland and UK) and BBC iPlayer (UK broadband connection needed).

Ms

Eh, it's race week...:)

Monaco this weekend with just the one race, on Saturday at 3pm. Qualy is at 11am in the morning.

Usual stations: Virgin Media Sports (Ireland), Eurosport 2 (Ireland and UK) and BBC iPlayer (UK broadband connection needed).

So not live anywhere then. A pity. I will just have to watch the highlights if there is any. There was none for the second race of the last weekend out in Spain.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

It was on the BBC red button but later at night last time, if you have access to it on Freesat. A bit annoying alright that is effectively behind a paywall in Ireland. Pure shame they are already alienating the fan base.

Ms

Well this turned out to be the De Costa v Frijns for the lead race that was up untill there was only 15mins +1 lap to go which I never get by the way when Mitch Evan's in the Jaguar passed them both but then a safety car was called because Rene Rasts car had come to a stop on the track going up the hill with damage to the front of his Audi car. Rene Rest was fighting for 7th place with Nick Cassidy when he ran out of room trying to pass him and hit the barrier. The restart after the safety car proved very exciting with De Costa putting the pressure on Mitch Evan's and trying to take the lead back from him. Then Nick De Vrius the championship leader and Gunther had a coming together. A yellow flag was called but no full course yellow or safety car which was a surprise considering that De Vries car was still on the track. The racing was very close throughout and then on the final lap coming out of the tunnel De Costa on the outside managed to get by Mitch Evan's but had a huge lock up but managed to hold on and win with Robin Frijns just getting but Mitch Evan before the finish line to get 2nd and Mitch Evans in 3rd.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

This and the historic GP a week or so ago really showcased that you could race at Monaco with smaller cars, either historically or using the smaller Formula-E chassis. The historic racing cars were even smaller so few more overtaking opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Cars looking really good at this track.

Ms

Inquitus wrote: »
    This and the historic GP a week or so ago really showcased that you could race at Monaco with smaller cars, either historically or using the smaller Formula-E chassis. The historic racing cars were even smaller so few more overtaking opportunities.

3 different leaders at the front in the one race and it changed a few times during the race too. You would not get that in F1 today. Maybe next year the cars will be better.
    Harika wrote: »
    Cars looking really good at this track.
    And fast too.
    Formule e needs more tracks like this. They should go get a race at Singapore too and any other street circuits that F1 goes too Baku would be perfect for Formule e.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jv2000

Whilst Race 1 in Valencia showed how things can dramatically go wrong in FE then the opposite can be said of Monaco. What a great race from start to finish. The bravery of Evans up to hill to pull off that overtake on Da Costa!!! And likewise for Da Costa to pull of what was the race winning move on the final lap against Frijns coming out of the tunnel, unbelievable scenes. The funny thing is that in hindsight Da Costa would have had him at the end anyway since Frijns had to coast over the line when he hit 0% usable energy. It made the F1 yesterday seem dull by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's ironic. For years social media has been telling FE to get off the streets and go race on real tracks. Yet the real track was a disaster and the most famous street circuit in the world was a great success.
    I'd be skeptical about the success being repeated in Baku and Singapore however. That long run to the line in Baku would probably need a chicane in the middle for some regen otherwise the cars wouldn't make it past 30 minutes.

201628484_4428312680541912_8746475793340157468_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=8LtFpZwh1RIAX-sqRWd&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=b2f4c9e79fc524c4035ba9e1ca45b2b3&oe=60CEA9F3

Mexico race this Saturday. Qualy is on at 5.45pm, with race coverage from 9.30pm.

Channels live showing:
    Qualy: Virgin Media Sport, Eurosport 2 & player, BBC iplayer/website (no Red button unfortunately)
    Race: Virgin Media Sport, Eurosport 2 & Player, BBC Red Button/iplayer/website

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jv2000

Looking forward to the races this weekend, it is very tight at then top of the championship. Interesting that both races are on the same weekend as a F1 Grand Prix but at least the timing is later in the evening. I don't even know where to begin on a prediction here but it would be great to see JEV and Da Costa do well again.

If I thought the Attack Mode was silly before. :pac:

Technical infringement? Could they maybe say what it was? Awful stuff.

Though I wondered as he crossed the line he was at 0.0%. He was under investigation for something or other though so presumably it's that?

And I thought the F1 guys were feckin useless. :P

That was a bit mad. I'm wondering what the technical infringment is for Wherein? He's going to have a thick head on him more than normal!

Not declaring the tyres? Seems like the kind of thing they could have black-flagged him for a lot earlier.

If I thought the Attack Mode was silly before. :pac:

Mega Joker lap X2!

• Advertisement

Not declaring the tyres? Seems like the kind of thing they could have black-flagged him for a lot earlier.

Jaysis, it's harsh, but thems are the rules! Delighted for Audi.

Advertisement