Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvin Hagler RIP

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

walshb wrote: »
    If the ref doesn’t see/acknowledge it then “it didn’t happen.”

Usually a referee will issue a warning or warnings, then take points, and can DQ as well. It’s a journey!

yeah, I suppose it was like Maradona and Henry's handball. Anyway IMHO Leonard won it. One of the commentators said Sugar Ray insisted it was 12 rounds, is that the max or min for this division? I was amazed at the end of it neither fighter had a cut, bruise or blood on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Tomaldo wrote: »
    yeah, I suppose it was like Maradona and Henry's handball. Anyway IMHO Leonard won it. One of the commentators said Sugar Ray insisted it was 12 rounds, is that the max or min for this division? I was amazed at the end of it neither fighter had a cut, bruise or blood on them.

World title fights used to be 15 rounds.
    In the 80's this started to be changed to 12 rounds for safety reasons.

There was a period of time where title fights were taking place over both 12 and 15 rounds depending on the fight/organisation involved.

All World title fights now take place over 12 rounds, and have done for nearly 30 years at this stage I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

There was well known changes and demands for the fight.

Marvin conceded to some, but it wasn't at all as impacting as some Hagler fans would want you to believe.

Large ring Ray wanted: Got it
    12 rds distance: got it
    Larger gloves: got it (not 100 percent here. Need to check) 10 oz Reyes

But really, the gloves and distance issue not all that important.

Ring size was the one that probably was most helpful for Ray, who did a fair bit of moving, or running in Marvin's eye.

Hagler should not have been losing over 12 rds to quite an inactive fighter.

Smaller man as well, albeit not much smaller. Marvin was not a big MW. He was average....

What won Ray the fight?

In one word.......his "feet"

And Marvin's clearly slower/plodding feet.

The big difference in them was the use of feet, and how Ray's feet allowed him to move and dart in and out and laterally move and keep Marvin plodding forward and forcing his shots. Ray had both fast feet and great footwork overall. Never allowing Marvin to really set any rhythm or set up his punches.

Ray knew standing toe to toe for too long would see him get hit and hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

was amazed at the end of it neither fighter had a cut, bruise or blood on them.

Interesting you mention this

I remember when watching it I noticed that their shots didn't seem to be up to much......Hagler's shots were almost pulled looking.....

He just was not near the same type fighter he had been in previous fights....

Leonard did really put a lot of effort into some his shots, but they barely tickled Marvin's skull.....

I really admired Hagler and loved his toughness and mentality and sturdiness and all that. He had weaknesses that I think others greats could have exposed. I think it boils down to a little bit of zip lacking/speed/explosiveness. Can't put my finger on it....kind of cumbersome at times.......

A good solid puncher with fitness, chin and variety would be a tough match for him.

Canelo-Hagler at 160 would be something truly special.

I know, many would be jumping to pick Hagler, but I reckon it is very close.....

Hagler probably a bit too fit and busy.....but, Hagler better be prepared to be hit clean all night, as well as see a lot of his shots miss....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Interesting you mention this

I remember when watching it I noticed that their shots didn't seem to be up to much......Hagler's shots were almost pulled looking.....

He just was not near the same type fighter he had been in previous fights....

Leonard did really put a lot of effort into some his shots, but they barely tickled Marvin's skull.....

I really admired Hagler and loved his toughness and mentality and sturdiness and all that. He had weaknesses that I think others greats could have exposed. I think it boils down to a little bit of zip lacking/speed/explosiveness. Can't put my finger on it....kind of cumbersome at times.......

A good solid puncher with fitness, chin and variety would be a tough match for him.

Canelo-Hagler at 160 would be something truly special.

I know, many would be jumping to pick Hagler, but I reckon it is very close.....

Hagler probably a bit too fit and busy.....but, Hagler better be prepared to be hit clean all night, as well as see a lot of his shots miss....

What a treat that fight would be. I would be picking Hagler there. On his best night I think he has too much pressure for Canelo. It would go the distance though IMO and that might favour Canelo who might be a bit cleaner and faster.

Hagler reminds me a lot of Holyfield with such toughness and ability to take hits. Super fighter. Those greats are so great that one night couldn’t decide it. I think a lot of them turn into trilogies after a one all and likely both camps would be claiming all three fights.

It’s devastating to be writing about this guy like this. Poor fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

I have watched Hagler-Leonard at least 5 times in completion

7-5 Hagler every time..

No way Ray took that belt..

Well he did and I agree with the decision. Ray did steal rounds and had studied Hagler and knew what he had to do. Anyway Hagler got out with $19 million for that fight so deep down think he knew he was nearing the end. Wasn't he the one who gave the silk pajamas quote?!

Anyway very sad news and at such a young age too. Never ever imagined Hagler would be the first of the Four Kings to go. Must dig out Kimball's book again.

RIP Champ

Advertisement