Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvin Hagler RIP

Options
  • 14-03-2021 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭

Confirmed by his wife on his facebook. So sad, one of the true greats of the sport.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Morrison J wrote: »
    Confirmed by his wife on his facebook. So sad, one of the true greats of the sport.

Terrible, only 66

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭squinn2912

This is terrible news far too young. One of my favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

My favourite ever fight was Marvin v Sugar Ray. Does anyone know why there wasn't a re-match? Rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

An Icon , plain and simple. Well past legend status.
    What a foursome - Hagler, Leonard, Hearns and my fav Duran. Unbelievable ....
    Proper champions who all fought each other , all true icons in one of the golden eras and all contributed to it by fighting each other and and not avoiding each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

R.I.P. Marvelous.

Icon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Yes indeed a true champion, fearsome, powerful, relentless and lethal, are some of the words that come to mind when I think of Marvelous Marvin.

Will never forget his encounter with Alan Minter whome Hagler destroyed, I always marveled at his physique, bit like a middleweight version of Ken Norton.

Far too young @ only 66 :(
    R.I.P. Marvin Hagler.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Far to young. Rip champ. One of the greatest if not the greatest middleweight of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Undefeated for 11 years and 38 days in one of the toughest divisions in one of the toughest era's. Didn't shy away from a fight, didn't claim to be the best in the world without leaving the UK like a certain modern day fighter we know. Hagler fought them all and beat them all he was a true legend of the sport and 66 is too young.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

One of the best to do it and the best switch hitter I’ve ever watched. RIP!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Tomaldo wrote: »
    My favourite ever fight was Marvin v Sugar Ray. Does anyone know why there wasn't a re-match? Rest in peace.

Hagler wanted out of boxing..

Had a serious disdain for Vegas..

• Advertisement

I have watched Hagler-Leonard at least 5 times in completion

7-5 Hagler every time..

No way Ray took that belt..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

My favourite fighter of all time, fearsome, always in great shape, granite chin, could scrap and box. His was like a rock that other fighters just broke themselves off.

RIP Champ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Genuinely gutted.

Tuned in to DAZN this morning and started it just at the point where Michael Buffer started speaking very somberly... and I just knew. Don't know how, but there was just something there telling me, yet still when he said his name I let out a long "NOOOOOOOO"!!

I don't have heroes but he was the closest I ever came to one. When I was in Leaving Cert, in order to prepare for speaking in public, our English teacher got everyone to stand up in front of the class to give a 5 minute speech - my speech was on Hagler.

I can guarantee you that there is not a hard-core boxing fan in the world who isn't grieving today. He is quite possibly the most respected fighter of all-time. You never heard anybody put him down, which is saying something given the polarising opinions boxing fans are known for.

He was as complete a fighter as there ever was, yet strangely the Hearns epic has kind of done him an injustice, as it portrays him as a hyper-aggressive slugger prepared to walk through anything to win. In fact he was a beautifully skilled switch-hitter who was equally at home boxing from the outside behind a brilliant jab or throwing multiple uppercuts on the inside. He had very good speed, incredible engine, great timing and of course, pound-for-pound the greatest chin I've seen outside of Oliver McCall. His consistency was awesome.

He even looked the part. In a time when 'big hair' was very common, his shaved dome gave him that incredibly menacing look that perfectly complimented his famous 'destruct and destroy' mentality.

This is going to take a while to sink in.

Rest In Peace Champ.

Brian Doogan’s The SuperFight was released last year about Ray and Marvin

Great read. Easy read as well. Be done in 5-6 days..

Gives a great insight into both fighters..

They are mentioning chest pains he was experiencing..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

One thing i liked about those guys was that while there was obviously great bitterness and rivalry between them when they fought, you could tell there was huge respect for each other too that eventually led to them being able to form strong bonds of friendship later, at least that's the impression i get from watching various documentaries anyway. I think thats the way it should be, though not always the case.

You often hear of great sports people's work ethic and I remember hearing a story about Hagler's remarkable attitude many moons ago.

It was around the time he turned pro and he also had to work a manual labouring job on a building site in order to pay the bills. It seems he was such an animal to work that when the boss was hiring somebody new, he put them working with Marvin for 15 minutes and if they could last the pace they were hired. But 15 minutes was the max because nobody could keep up to him for longer than that... and Hagler worked at that pace all day, every day!

No wonder he was always regarded as champ of the blue collar workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Teak tough, yet very talented and that mad streak running through him whereby the grind was well and truly embraced.

An opponents worst nightmare.

Rip.

walshb wrote: »
    I have watched Hagler-Leonard at least 5 times in completion

7-5 Hagler every time..

No way Ray took that belt..

I'm no expert on scoring fights. I've watched it 3 times, I thought a draw was a fair result, 'cos Leonard was also very good. Anyway I'm gonna watch it later, what should I look out for in terms of point-scoring, below the belt punches etc

I'm no expert on scoring fights. I've watched it 3 times, I thought a draw was a fair result, 'cos Leonard was also very good. Anyway I'm gonna watch it later, what should I look out for in terms of point-scoring, below the belt punches etc

Clean effective landed shots is most important.

Other criteria as well

Overall I felt Leonard was trying to steal rds here and there.

Marvin worked harder throughout for me, and was the aggressor..

No problem with a draw, or Leonard winning. For me I felt Marvin took the fight..

I also felt Marvin looked “old” in the fight..

At the Mugabi fight the year before, Ray decided he could beat Marvin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Did his road work in army boots because he felt running shoes were for sissies. He was a different breed.

I loved the Mugabi fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Other criteria as well

No problem with a draw, or Leonard winning. For me I felt Marvin took the fight..

Yes, Duran was the only one up to the Leonard fight who had gone the distance with Hagler when Hagler was champ and Leonard has said that Duran told him he could beat Hagler. The Mugabi fight was a particularly brutal battle.

Hagler-990x568.jpg

I think this fantastic picture says is all about Hagler - even a snowstorm ain't stopping him going out on his run.

I’d argue that Marvin’s greatest trait was his conditioning...

He seemed to never tire. This is both natural and hard graft combined..

Serious trainer..

Good solid power.
    Excellent chin and body sturdiness
    Good speed, not great
    Good feet in the sense balance. Bit slow in sense of movement/adapting
    Good array of punching..

My dream fantasy fights are

Hagler-Toney at 160-168
    Hagler-Canelo 160
    Hagler-GGG 160
    Hagler-McClellan 160-168

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

megadodge wrote: »

He was as complete a fighter as there ever was, yet strangely the Hearns epic has kind of done him an injustice, as it portrays him as a hyper-aggressive slugger prepared to walk through anything to win. In fact he was a beautifully skilled switch-hitter who was equally at home boxing from the outside behind a brilliant jab or throwing multiple uppercuts on the inside. He had very good speed, incredible engine, great timing and of course, pound-for-pound the greatest chin I've seen outside of Oliver McCall. His consistency was awesome.

Yes, this doesn't get said near as often enough. I always think the first Mustafa Hamsho fight is a great one to gauge how incredibly skilled Hagler was as a boxer. Systematically picking him apart behind the jab. Was a joy watching him on the outside using feints and picking his combinations behind the jab.

I always think Leonard suffers from the same misconceptions that Hagler does in that most people’s notion of their styles are based on their most famous fights alone. Leonard wasn’t typically a slick back foot boxer in the same way Hagler wasn't some relentless seek-and-destroy type. They were actually both the opposite of what they were advertised as.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Was it last year that he was calling for one belt for each division? I remember thinking it strange the way he framed it saying that he’d like to see it before he died. I was wondering if it was an indicator that he was very unwell. I rubbished it in my mind thinking sure he’s only a young man. I feel hollow today.

Incidentally I think there’s not a boxing fan in the world who isn’t in agreement. Would love that campaign to gather momentum. What a tribute it would be. The Ali Trophy went some way to tightening things up in certain divisions with the belts on the line too. Hardly ever happen.

Marvin absolutely wanted the rematch, but Leonard 'retired' again, claiming it was just a once-off.

And that was it for Hagler. He stayed true to his word when he retired and never came back.

Yes, Duran was the only one up to the Leonard fight who had gone the distance with Hagler when Hagler was champ and Leonard has said that Duran told him he could beat Hagler. The Mugabi fight was a particularly brutal battle.

He kind of struggled to beat Duran, and if I am correct I think he needed to win the final 2 rds to secure the win..

Duran was two weights above where he belonged, and was not supposed to be any threat.

Hagler beat him, but Duran’s boxing skills, wily skills and experience showed Marvin’s vulnerabilities..

Duran also told Ray that Ray can beat him...as you say.

And really, style and size wise you would have had to have thought that Ray does better than Duran..

Mugabi fight was terrific. Rd 6 is an all time great round.

I remember as a young kid hearing about this Mugabi being 26-0 with 26 KOs I think it was, and being completely wowed by it.

That fight took another few miles off Marvin’s clock

Other criteria as well

Just watched the first 4 rounds, not much in it but Leonard definitely hits Hagler below the belt in the 4th round. Does anyone know what sort of penalty in terms of point scoring that should result in. The ref didn't warn him about it.

• Advertisement

Just watched the first 4 rounds, not much in it but Leonard definitely hits Hagler below the belt in the 4th round. Does anyone know what sort of penalty in terms of point scoring that should result in. The ref didn't warn him about it.

If the ref doesn’t see/acknowledge it then “it didn’t happen.”

Usually a referee will issue a warning or warnings, then take points, and can DQ as well. It’s a journey!

Advertisement