Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberpunk - CD Project Red

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Anyway, i haven't even met Johnny yet so maybe it opens up a bit more but I've already started fast traveling as i don't think there'll be much i find on my way on foot other than a gig of shooting up some goons.

I read some quick tips guide and the guy recommended you don't fast travel as you can miss phone calls. That's what he said. I don't know.

Blazer wrote: »
    Its one advantage of physical media over digital.
    I could have returned it to gamestop etc and taken a small hit instead of having a boring ass game with poor combat lying in my digital inventory.
    Ah well will stick to DayZ and Fifa and get back to it in a few months if its picked up.
    The developer does tend to support games after their launch as evidenced by their Witcher series so fingers crossed they do the same here. Without the DLC costs.

I just look at some footage of console play. That would give you nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

But to me the deeper issues seem harder to fix than No Man's Sky.

I disagree with this. No Man's Sky was advertised as a giant multiplayer game when there was no multiplayer functionality in the slightest, to the point where they had to get stickers to cover online play symbol on the box.

Despite the many many problems this game obviously has, the core mechanics are functional, just disappointingly bare for a game announced 8 and a half years ago.

I agree with the rest of your post about falling massively short of games like yakuza. Even the Witcher 3 had gwent and customizable haircuts/beard growth.

With hindsight, this release and its problems seem inevitable for a game revealed that long ago as what they were promising was clearly what they thought they could do rather than what they had done. Although they're not alone in that considering EA just revealed a mass effect game so early it doesn't even have a title.

I'm not giving them a complete free pass though. This game was originally meant to come out in April so god only knows what state it was in on base consoles then. Also as recently as September they were teasing lifepaths as three distinct lengthy prologues when now it's clear there's about half an hour of dialogue leading into a common prologue mission for each of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

So this game is awful? Thats what im getting from this thread :(

If you aim to play it on the base consoles, I would say it's not worth getting due to technical issues.

But as far as the game goes it's very good. From reading the comments here people expectations were ridiculously high. That's an issue with CDPR's marketing rather than the game itself.

The combat is quite good, better than fallout, mass effect, far cry assassins creed or any other open world game I've played.

The storytelling is great and world's apart from those games mentioned above, with lots of interesting characters. Also the world and environments are very detailed and look great on a decent Pc.

It's very like the witcher 3 in that here's no meaningful interaction with npcs except for shops and when doing quests. Really don't know what people were expecting here.

And just like the witcher 3 there isn't much to do apart from quests and fighting but there are so many quests it can get overwhelming. Most of these quests are often very interesting and branch out into separate stories. They're nothing like radiant Ai quests in skyrim etc.

There are issues with the game, pacing issues due to the huge amount of side quests. Some issues with character leveling being roo slow and not getting access to some perks without huge time investment.
    There doesn't appear to be anything like gwent or other mini games etc.
    The game is also quite slow to get going and the combat picks up the further you get into the game and unlock different options meaning if you're looking to quickly blast through the game you'll be disappointed.

But if you expect a game similar to the Witcher 3 but with better gameplay you'll be quite happy.

There's a reason this game has mostly positive reviews and 90+ on metacritic but play the game and make your own mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

If you aim to play it on the base consoles, I would say it's not worth getting due to technical issues.

But as far as the game goes it's very good. From reading the comments here people expectations were ridiculously high. That's an issue with CDPR's marketing rather than the game itself.

The combat is quite good, better than fallout, mass effect, far cry assassins creed or any other open world game I've played.

The storytelling is great and world's apart from those games mentioned above, with lots of interesting characters. Also the world and environments are very detailed and look great on a decent Pc.

It's very like the witcher 3 in that here's no meaningful interaction with npcs except for shops and when doing quests. Really don't know what people were expecting here.

And just like the witcher 3 there isn't much to do apart from quests and fighting but there are so many quests it can get overwhelming. Most of these quests are often very interesting and branch out into separate stories. They're nothing like radiant Ai quests in skyrim etc.

There are issues with the game, pacing issues due to the huge amount of side quests. Some issues with character leveling being roo slow and not getting access to some perks without huge time investment.
    There doesn't appear to be anything like gwent or other mini games etc.
    The game is also quite slow to get going and the combat picks up the further you get into the game and unlock different options meaning if you're looking to quickly blast through the game you'll be disappointed.

But if you expect a game similar to the Witcher 3 but with better gameplay you'll be quite happy.

There's a reason this game has mostly positive reviews and 90+ on metacritic but play the game and make your own mind up.

Thank you, its hard to sort through the anti hype right now to figure out if this is actually a good game or not. I have a slightly older system (6700k + 1080ti) so unknown as to how that will run it, hoping to build a new rig next year so might hold off until then, or try the stadia version.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I haven't played the game but I seen but was just thinking the same, people giving out about the npc's not doing anything and I was thinking about the npc's in witcher 3 and its sounds exactly the same, I never saw anyone complaining about them, also people giving out about there being nothing to do, it was the same in witcher 3 ,you had merchants and a place where you could get a shave/haircut, what were people expecting? I was expecting more of the same of this tbh, In witcher 3 when I got to a town/city I always headed straight for the mission board .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭naughto

What did the 16 update we got yesterday fix??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The 90% on Metacritic is also heavily inflated by a bunch of no-name fan sites that give every AAA game a glowing review. Most of the sites I’d read regularly gave the PC version a much more critical review, for reasons beyond graphics or bugs.

In general, I’d say it’s not a particularly bad game and not a particularly good one either. Just a mid-tier, half-baked open world game - strong storytelling mixed with many missed gameplay opportunities.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Sounds like the open world of Cyberpunk is a bit like the open world of Mafia, just very pretty no interactive set dressing you just pass through on your way from A to B. To be honest that has its own appeal, where you're not getting constantly distracted by mini games and endless collectables.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I never got into gwent but is there anything like it in this ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Nice to see Agent 47 alive and well driving taxis :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Nice to see Agent 47 alive and well driving taxis :D

Doing drive by shootings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Thank you, its hard to sort through the anti hype right now to figure out if this is actually a good game or not. I have a slightly older system (6700k + 1080ti) so unknown as to how that will run it, hoping to build a new rig next year so might hold off until then, or try the stadia version.

That's more than enough to play it quite well. It averages 67 fps on medium settings at 1080p according to tom's hardware.

Very frustrating time to want to build a new pc, with all products being hoovered up by scalpers, I'll just have to wait until next year too to upgrade.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im glad i stuck to my rule of never pre-ordering games anymore, serving me well the last few years :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The graphics on Cyberpunk 2077 base consoles will never be fixed, the machines simply can't handle it.

Agreed...by next summer AAA titles shouldn't be released on the old gen unless its pacman or something.
    I think close to a year is long enough to give people a chance to upgrade.
    You can't hold back game progress because people won't upgrade or can't afford to.
    Sounds harsh but it happens across all products not just gaming consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Hopefully Capcom are watching and realise RE8 is too ambitious for just-gone-gen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some games play well on last-gen consoles still, to be fair. The Last of Us 2 is only a few months old, and whatever you think of the game there’s no question it’s one of the best looking games ever released. Very different game to this, without doubt, but one that is a bit of a technical triumph even on old hardware.

I’m all for a full next-gen switchover sooner rather than later. But there probably are some upcoming games where supporting older consoles won’t pose quite the same technical challenge as Cyberpunk does.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Hopefully Capcom are watching and realise RE8 is too ambitious for just-gone-gen.

RE is a different animal altogether.
    You're very restricted on where you can go within levels etc so nowhere at taxing.
    Graphics yeah but to be honest I think the last gen consoles could handle it fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Act 2 question (for anybody actually playing the game :D)
    So Delamain just wrote my car off in the parking lot and all of my objectives now are KM away. I can’t afford the car the fixer told me about yet so where the hell am I supposed to get some wheels for now? I need to go Delamain HQ but it’s nearly 2km away from me?

Find and fight a random bunch of street punks, as they usually have a couple of motorbikes lying around you can grab after the fight.
    Going to the Delamain site doesn’t automatically get you a car anyway so you’ll need a vehicle regardless
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Are people bending over backwards to forgive CDPR already?!
    Gamers are borderline masochistic when it comes to the relationship with dev companies.

It goes both ways to the extreme, some will pretend oh everything is fine on my system people are making a story of nothing, whereas the other side is well only a matter of time before the inevitable death threats will get sent by nutcases.
    I find a lot of reviews and coverage of it post launch are uniquely strange as some are reporting bugs with kid gloves and saying The Witcher 3 was as bad when it wasn't near this bad. Other than Anthem & Fallout 76 I can't think of many big AAA games that launched under such a cloud.

ERG89 wrote: »
    It goes both ways to the extreme, some will pretend oh everything is fine on my system people are making a story of nothing, whereas the other side is well only a matter of time before the inevitable death threats will get sent by nutcases.
    I find a lot of reviews and coverage of it post launch are uniquely strange as some are reporting bugs with kid gloves and saying The Witcher 3 was as bad when it wasn't near this bad. Other than Anthem & Fallout 76 I can't think of many big AAA games that launched under such a cloud.

I would say Arkham Knight on pc possibly was as bad. Was unplayable much of time. But smaller audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I would say Arkham Knight on pc possibly was as bad. Was unplayable much of time. But smaller audience.

In their defense, I played that about a year or so later on pc and aside from one choppy bit in a large blimp above the city, it played really well. Worth going back to for anyone who gave up on it, the car parts even played fine and (in my opinion at least) was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

How are people on high spec PC finding it anyway, I feel like the game is carried by its visuals somewhat. Constantly taking screenshots

Act 2 question (for anybody actually playing the game :D)
    So Delamain just wrote my car off in the parking lot and all of my objectives now are KM away. I can’t afford the car the fixer told me about yet so where the hell am I supposed to get some wheels for now? I need to go Delamain HQ but it’s nearly 2km away from me?

The option to call a car just appeared for me at some point in the game. And the car was there callable by me fine. You don't need to buy a car in the game. Nor do you need to go near Delamane to get it back either.

How are people on high spec PC finding it anyway, I feel like the game is carried by its visuals somewhat. Constantly taking screenshots

Just had my first really rainy night, It really is very well done. It better driving too, as you get the great ambient sound they have in this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Blazer wrote: »
    RE is a different animal altogether.
    You're very restricted on where you can go within levels etc so nowhere at taxing.
    Graphics yeah but to be honest I think the last gen consoles could handle it fine.

Except that it was initially PS5/XSX exclusive, with them claiming last gen couldn't handle what they were trying to do with the game - it was being built from the ground up for next gen. Cue minor backlash and now they're re-exploring whether or not they can bring it to last gen. Anyway, this is off-topic.

Advertisement