Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Center Parcs Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Graham wrote: »
    All those would add up for a family of four ... kids would have you broke staying for a week. Realistically You are probably looking at 4-5 grand for a weeks stay in high season.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'd guess you could spend that much if you really wanted to.

I can't imagine that's anything like the norm for most families though.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Graham wrote: »
    I'd guess you could spend that much if you really wanted to.

I can't imagine that's anything like the norm for most families though.

Well if you are paying 2400 for a week before any activities and food for most people there wouldn't be much left after that ( I would have thought).
    Absolutely crazy prices.
    Anyway if people are willing to pay that's their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

3400 for a week in September, fair play if you are willing to spend that amount but it's not worth it for a week in Ireland basically captive on a Campsite.

I just looked on the website and a lodge for 2 adults and 4 kids is 850 for a week in mid September.

Ahhh stop that Injuryprone, it's after hours. You're not going to generate anything like enough outrage unless you pick the absolute most expensive weeks of the year. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

That's great but my comment was in response to the figures quoted by another poster.
    The 850 covers accommodation and pool access only. Although aren't the kids supposed to be in school in September unless you have preschoolers.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

~850 for accommodation, you're likely to spend that again in activities, plus the cost of food etc, easily a 2k+ holiday for a week in Longford in September.

While it seems like it'd be fun for the kids, it also seems very expensive to me.

I thought the activities would be free, with maybe a few of them having a very small supplementary cost.

Not disagreeing with you Plumbthedepths.

I can only guess that Center Parcs have a notion how to price things at this stage. You'd certainly hope that's the case when a €233million investment is at stake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

awec wrote: »
    ~850 for accommodation, you're likely to spend that again in activities, plus the cost of food etc, easily a 2k+ holiday for a week in Longford in September.

It just seems so expensive to me.

But just think of the saving in sun tan lotion :)

While it seems like it'd be fun for the kids, it also seems very expensive to me.

I thought the activities would be free, with maybe a few of them having a very small supplementary cost.

Or you take your own provisions and spend a week watching the small ones knacker themselves out in the pool while you lounge around in the 29.5 degree heat.

I can't pretend to know what people spend when they're there and I've no doubt you could go over the top if you wanted to.

However much it is, Center Parcs don't appear to have problems filling the existing resorts so they must have got something right.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote:
    I can only guess that Center Parcs have a notion how to price things at this stage. You'd certainly hope that's the case when a €233million investment is at stake.

It's a premium price for what I think is a rather small market. Very few foreign visitors will want to come and spend a week on a Campsite in Ireland when there is so much to see and do country wide. I'm sure the prices at at what CP think the market will bare, personally I think they got it wrong but it's easy to reduce prices from a high point rather than to increase from a low base. Time will tell.....

It is a premium price. Whether that's temporary while there is novelty/newness value or it's a permanent feature, I don't know.

It's certainly not what I'd describe as a campsite, those would usually involve an element of camping. I think the description generally used is 'resort'. One half of me thinks that's marketing speak, the other half of me is aware that most guests don't leave during their stay so perhaps the resort label is justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

a holiday with kids is expensive however you slice it if you are flying they need their own seat, all of a sudden even cheap flights become expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

will someone who's booked this relate their experience on here when they go? I'm really fascinated by it. Who chooses this over more reasonably priced trips to more exotic locations.

cgcsb wrote: »
    will someone who's booked this relate their experience on here when they go? I'm really fascinated by it. Who chooses this over more reasonably priced trips to more exotic locations.

what are you comparing it to when you say more reasonably price trips to more exotic locations? not being smart im interested as to what the comparison is.

we may well book a week for near the end of august, we bringing our 5 year old and 6 month old to vancouver in the summer to see my brother and his family and we might take another week, but if we do i have no interest in doing another flight, being in 30+ degree heat, worrying about sun cream for the kids etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It is a pricy trip and I’m sure the prices will find their level. The activities will be certainly where people pay a lot. A night in a decent hotel for a family of four in a room costs over 100 a night generally and more in summer/weekends. I think as an alternative to a few days down the country staying in a hotel it’s actually not bad value. I’d think staying there for 3/4 days will be quite popular.
    From Dublin you would be there in less time than it would take to drive to the airport, park, check in and board your flight. That’s a big draw for people.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

The 4 night midweek option in October is actually not bad at €399 and with two younger kids we were giving it some fairly serious thought but it's the added activities that Graham posted is where the money shoots up along with obviously money for food etc (although you'd be eating at home anyway). Ended up getting an all-inclusive in Portaventura with park tickets and that for same length of stay for probably not much more than we would have paid door to door. I personally think you would be absolutely mental to pay the peak prices but I can see appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

No passport, no airport, no flight has a value to a lot of people.

I’ve booked a lodge for a disabled adult, geriatric relative, some adult siblings, a dog and some toddlers.
    I’m really looking forward to it.
    I will report back after our stay.

Cyrus wrote:
    what are you comparing it to when you say more reasonably price trips to more exotic locations? not being smart im interested as to what the comparison is.

Just for fun , I priced a week stay on a Campsite in Venice from the 3rd to the 10th of August. Family of 4 , flights and accommodation less than 1500. Booking with Ryanair and the campsite directly.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I will say we got an offer (Maybe like €189) for Monday-Friday in April staying in Trabolgan a few years ago. young fella was nearly 5 and we had a great time. Pool, kids entertainment, nice walks etc.

• Advertisement

Just for fun , I priced a week stay on a Campsite in Venice from the 3rd to the 10th of August. Family of 4 , flights and accommodation less than 1500. Booking with Ryanair and the campsite directly.

I do get the impression Center Parcs don't see a tent and a Ryanair flights as their immediate competition.

Graham wrote:
    I do get the impression Center Parcs don't see a tent and a Ryanair flights as their immediate competition.

Have been on multiple camp sites on the continent, have yet to stay in a tent. It was a response to a query posed, your snarky response was unnecessary tbh.

Not being snarky at all. I assumed that campsite involves camping :confused:

I'm certainly not trying to convince you to switch your holiday plans to Center Parcs.

I don't think there's ever been any suggestion by anyone that Center Parcs is a cheap option. If your thing is a budget break in the Costas, or an all inclusive in the Canaries, or a campsite in Venice, then that's great. I wouldn't knock those choices any more than I would someone who holidays on a private island in the Caribbean.

There will always be cheaper options, there will always be more expensive options. For others (it appears), Center Parcs has an appeal.

Cyrus wrote: »
    we bringing our 5 year old and 6 month old to vancouver in the summer

I would prefer death, but each to their own.

Addle wrote: »
    I’ve booked a lodge for a disabled adult, geriatric relative, some adult siblings, a dog and some toddlers.
    I’m really looking forward to it.
    I will report back after our stay.

I see how such family circumstances might make it attractive.

I would prefer death, but each to their own.

indeed, in my defence my niece was very ill last year so we want to spend time with them now she is better, but i cant say im looking forward to the flight :rolleyes:

Have been on multiple camp sites on the continent, have yet to stay in a tent. It was a response to a query posed, your snarky response was unnecessary tbh.

so what do people stay in on campsites?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,269 ✭✭✭✭fits

We booked it because it seems really hassle free. Our toddlers love the pool. And we love the idea of no car for a weekend. We will be bringing our own food in and will book one or two activities in total. We have friends going the same weekend but we’re not staying together.

Bringing our two year old twins on a flight to stay in a campsite in a hot country does not appeal at all to us at our stage of life. Each to their own though. I love travelling and camping etc but I’ve done plenty of it and the lads wouldn’t get the value out of it at their age.

I will definitely report back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cyrus wrote: »

Typically Mobile homes or chalets.

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote:

Lots of options. Lodges, mobile homes, bungalows, stands and tents.

Advertisement