Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Good luck to the people on the West coast <333 - From the East coast gang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

When are the next chart updates expected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭highdef

easypazz wrote: »
    When are the next chart updates expected?

https://weather.thedeskofmatthew.com/

Storm 10 wrote: »

"... many National Parks will be closed."

How do you close a national park? Oh, wait, they're taking in the roads. Maybe putting the cover on the mountains too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Discodog wrote: »
    People aren't concerned about the West :)

We dont want your pity. We are rugged people and well able for storms. Bring it on! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭endainoz

We dont want your pity. We are rugged people and well able tlfor storms. Bring it on! ;)

I second that, precautions will be taken today and will enjoy the show tomorrow. Bring it on for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

TTLF wrote: »

for that kindness, thank you ;) We will need it. The marine forecast which applies to coastal waters, has gone orange . "strong gale to storm force".

Already the door here is hard to open, and harder still to close. A long, hard, noisy and dangerous night and day ahead.

west mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Hooter23

I think this storm could be bad enough one...those squally hail/thunder showers that come with storms coming from this direction can be very nasty and have there own vicious winds...Hope we are not getting fooled again by all the hype...as I have just looked at the charts and it doesn't even look like a proper storm:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

If it’s not tied down lads it will be gone.
    Batten down yere hatcheens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Has graces been banned yet for writing poems?
    It’s not a proper storm till that happens

• Advertisement

If it’s not tied down lads it will be gone.
    Batten down yere hatcheens

I'll not hunker down before a storm with a name like a suppressed sneeze.

I'll not hunker down before a storm with a name like a suppressed sneeze.

roflol!

NB I am hunkering. Trust me on that. Getting dark already here and I need to count the cats in.

That orange marine forecast is the worst for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Mother is giving out about us asking her to go up to my sisters. Reckons it's just a gale coming. To be honest, I suspect she could be right but won't chance it.

Mother is giving out about us asking her to go up to my sisters. Reckons it's just a gale coming. To be honest, I suspect she could be right but won't chance it.

You are taking no chances and that is the right, caring and responsible thing to do. Even if it does not develop badly, so what? No harm done and your mind at rest. Promise her a treat or three! It is bad out here already now and I will not even open the door now. Far too forceful a wind . And this is only the first stage. Tomorrow will be far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aryan sharma

Thanks for the information

OH MY! met.ie have the new forecasts up and the word " wintry" is used about showers!

But that forecast makes fearsome reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tigletts

Graces7 wrote: »
    You are taking no chances and that is the right, caring and responsible thing to do. Even if it does not develop badly, so what? No harm done and your mind at rest. Promise her a treat or three! It is bad out here already now and I will not even open the door now. Far too forceful a wind . And this is only the first stage. Tomorrow will be far worse.

I'm down here in West Cork and there isn't a puff! Eeerily calm in fact and almost 15degrees.

"... many National Parks will be closed."

How do you close a national park? Oh, wait, they're taking in the roads. Maybe putting the cover on the mountains too.

Easy; read the list. These are gated facilities. Off the road. Lock the gates. eg Killarney House and Gardens. Connemara National Park..

Tigletts wrote: »
    I'm down here in West Cork and there isn't a puff! Eeerily calm in fact and almost 15degrees.

Count your blessings... It was like that here last night. Utter eerie peace. Your turn will come :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Galeforce

The regular posters are gone very quiet 🀫 any update on the storm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

ECM mean winds at 100 metres tomorrow, in m/s. Gold is Force 12. Two cores, the first approaching the southwest late afternoon, the second coming down behind it towards Belmullet late evening. So two waves of peak winds, with the southwest getting hit with both.

Remember, this chart is at 100 metres, but certainly surface gusts of 65-70 knots possible along coastal counties.

ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2019120700_039.jpg

ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2019120700_042.jpg

ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2019120700_045.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met Eireann going with Connemara coastline to get the strongest winds on latest update

Storm Atiyah will bring very windy conditions on Sunday. Westerly winds will reach gale force in many areas. Westerly winds strongest in the afternoon and evening with potentially severe and damaging gusts, with severe gale, to storm force winds on coasts and especially near the Connemara coastline. Winds will be strongest in eastern areas during the evening time. There will be blustery squally showers throughout the day. Many of the showers will be heavy some of hail and thunder and turning wintry over hills in the northwest of the country. Highest temperatures of 7 to 9 degrees. Westerly winds will veer northwesterly later in the day, with gale force winds continuing in places with severe gale, to storm force winds on coasts.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Easy; read the list. These are gated facilities. Off the road. Lock the gates. eg Killarney House and Gardens. Connemara National Park..

Gated car parks maybe. Not Ballycroy/Letterkeen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Fairly windy in Kildare now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerianam

TTLF wrote: »

Thanks very much! Wishing ye all the best too. xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Met Eireann going with Connemara coastline to get the strongest winds on latest update

Storm Atiyah will bring very windy conditions on Sunday. Westerly winds will reach gale force in many areas. Westerly winds strongest in the afternoon and evening with potentially severe and damaging gusts, with severe gale, to storm force winds on coasts and especially near the Connemara coastline. Winds will be strongest in eastern areas during the evening time. There will be blustery squally showers throughout the day. Many of the showers will be heavy some of hail and thunder and turning wintry over hills in the northwest of the country. Highest temperatures of 7 to 9 degrees. Westerly winds will veer northwesterly later in the day, with gale force winds continuing in places with severe gale, to storm force winds on coasts.

Yes, unfortunately, I just saw that now. It is not uncommon for the weather station at Mace Head to register very strong winds during winter storms from a W/NW direction. Hopefully, it will not materialize as severe as predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam Co galway 07/12/19 15.35 temperature 11°C it's calm before the storm
    3dH9DrY.jpg

8LAgoCY.jpg

CLjFPQo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Getting windy in Galway now the rain just arrived

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Nice day in Galway today. Got loads done.
    Rain has arrived now but at least it held odd during hours of light. Tomorrow should be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Wind blowing over flower pots here in Kildare. Didn’t think it wouldn’t be this windy this early. May bring them all in now

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

core of damaging winds just to the west of Ireland on the 06 z gfs

ukgust.png

Batten down the hatches Grases7, looks bad for the islands. Enjoy listening to nature's fury from the comfort of your home :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Away from the considerable straight-lined wind threat we also have a considerable risk for funnel clouds/ weak tornadoes to form.

Strong wind convergence in the west as the first core of the system makes landfall
    gfs_layer_eur27.png

High helicity values in the SW too.
    gfs_stp_eur27.png

The thing though with these setups is that the visibility will be very poor as the LCL will be only a few 100 meters. Its this time of year that Ireland experiences them most too.

One to keep an eye out for and too inspect any reports of damage along a me localised path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭monty_python

I'm in allihies on the beara peninsula and it's calm still.
    I seen a guy on Facebook say castletownbere could get 170km+ winds. 😧

MetLuver wrote: »
    Batten down the hatches Grases7, looks bad for the islands. Enjoy listening to nature's fury from the comfort of your home :-)

Well, there is listening and there is having your eardrums forcibly sundered... I am not a storm fan. They are to be endured perforce and to be safe in. Just a hard part of life is all. If this runs true to form my home will not feel safe either! The worst lately was Callum. the whole dwelling shook and shivered.

All safe; cats all in except the feral I feed who is a wild thing who respects the power of this totally and will not emerge even for food until it is safe. Wise critter...

Like all of us out here ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Shannon airport TAF forecasting gusts up to 58 knots between 4pm and 6pm tomorrow. Wild enough!

• Advertisement

Windy here in Galway city. I was going out to a Cmas party & getting the late bus home, off home for the car now & having a dry night instead. Not risking the walk from the bus if this is only going to worsen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

From a friend on a Trawler Valentia Coastguard putting out storm to violent storm force wind warnings for shipping along the West Coast he is in port

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,338 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The rain has arrived in cork city anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Absolutely torrential rain here in South Kerry. It made for a particularly difficult drive home this evening.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Wind howling and heavy rain in Achill. Slightly regret coming down for the night now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Tipping it down rain in N Donegal now, and getting fairly windy - unfortunately I can't measure it - although I'm sheltered for the moment under a hill, might get a bit more interesting tomorrow if the winds shift to more westerly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

The national parks to close headline is so odd to me. Its propagating through the cheap online news regurgitators now like its a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

sentient_6 wrote: »
    The national parks to close headline is so odd to me. Its propagating through the cheap online news regurgitators now like its a big deal.

I suppose the fact it’s a Sunday and people would go there on a day off. Still though common sense and an orange wind warning would surely mean people stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I might have been dreaming but before sunlight slipped away there was hundreds of birds acting very strangely here in Cork, you would wonder can they sense the storm that’s coming.

Was driving north of the city and on 2 separate occasions I seen flocks of birds circling in a panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

irishfeen wrote: »
    I might have been dreaming but before sunlight slipped away there was hundreds of birds acting very strangely here in Cork, you would wonder can they sense the storm that’s coming.

Was driving north of the city and on 2 separate occasions I seen flocks of birds circling in a panic.

Crows flock here before sunset and at sunrise every single day. It's nothing unsuual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

sentient_6 wrote: »

I feel it's more a case of it being the weekend, so RTE and other media outlets have nothing else to build more weather danger hype around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Crows flock here before sunset and at sunrise every single day. It's nothing unsuual.

As I said I was probably dreaming :)

There's talk of Sunday being cancelled altogether over on the Face book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

There's talk of Sunday being cancelled altogether over on the Face book.

Would mass be rearranged for Monday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Wind ramping already here tonight. North Cork border

• Advertisement
Advertisement