Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Felix Jones is God.

tommycahir wrote: »
    Some great deals to be had on lifestyle for Munster gear at the minute, 50% off alot of gear and then running buy 1 get 1 half price ..

https://www.lifestylesports.com/ie/munster-rugby/

Got a polo and a training t shirt for €39 with free delivery to parcel motel..

Seems to be all buy 1 get 1 half price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

tommycahir wrote: »
    Some great deals to be had on lifestyle for Munster gear at the minute, 50% off alot of gear and then running buy 1 get 1 half price ..

https://www.lifestylesports.com/ie/munster-rugby/

Got a polo and a training t shirt for €39 with free delivery to parcel motel..

Ordered a T-shirt and polo last night at 21:55 for 33€
    Just got it delivered right now. That is some service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Backrow could be stretched over the interpros

Botha suspended for another 2 games
    Beirne injury looked quite serious
    POM could miss few weeks

Stander and JOD will probably need their minutes managed

Will need the likes of Cloete and Tommy O'Donnell to play quite a bit.

An opportunity for Conor Oliver too

Could play Holland or Whycherly at blindside

Might see Gavin Coombes or Jack O'Sulliavn make an appearance or two

Depending on John Ryans injury TH could be an issue too, with Parker also injured we are down to Archer and Knox

Might see Ben Healy make a few appearances too. with him being our only fit outhalf apart from JJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

While rugby would not be one of my favorite sports, I would be very interested in what fellow Munster posters think about whether Johann Van Graan, will get the sack as Munster head coach, at the end of the season. While I don't get to watch too many Munster matches these days, it appears there is great disappointment over the continued "direct" style of rugby, that Munster are employing again this season. That's in spite of the arrival of Stephen Larkham as backs and skills coach.

If Munster fail to qualify for the quarter-finals of the Champions Cup, surely that is the end game for JVG? Many were surprised (this poster included) that he got the head coach role in the first place. From the bits I have seen Munster since he took over, I don't think that the southern province have expanded their game, during the South African's tenure as head coach.

I will be interested in what other posters think, about the direction Munster are heading under JVG. Another thing that I noticed is the difference in physique between Munster and Leinster. Some of the Munster players look bulky, a bit big. While Leinster look fitter, trimmer, leaner and more sharper as evident in their two performances against Northampton. Any thoughts on that will be most greatly appreciated by this poster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

While rugby would not be one of my favorite sports, I would be very interested in what fellow Munster posters think about whether Johann Van Graan, will get the sack as Munster head coach, at the end of the season. While I don't get to watch too many Munster matches these days, it appears there is great disappointment over the continued "direct" style of rugby, that Munster are employing again this season. That's in spite of the arrival of Stephen Larkham as backs and skills coach.

If Munster fail to qualify for the quarter-finals of the Champions Cup, surely that is the end game for JVG? Many were surprised (this poster included) that he got the head coach role in the first place. From the bits I have seen Munster since he took over, I don't think that the southern province have expanded their game, during the South African's tenure as head coach.

I will be interested in what other posters think, about the direction Munster are heading under JVG. Another thing that I noticed is the difference in physique between Munster and Leinster. Some of the Munster players look bulky, a bit big. While Leinster look fitter, trimmer, leaner and more sharper as evident in their two performances against Northampton. Any thoughts on that will be most greatly appreciated by this poster!

Not a hope in hell.

If Munster had Leinsters group we’d be topping it also. You can’t compare a game against Sarries, whixh was also going to eh attritional, to a game against Northampton who play much more expansive play.

We have just started a new coaching set up, and already there is signs of a much better and fluid attacking system.
    Combined with what already was, and has continued to be, one of the best defences out there.

2European and league semi finals, losing to Leinster Sarries and Racing. Not that far behind at all and very close to where we need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Is there any word on Beirne? Hopefully not as bad as it looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Are you serious??????????

We're not even three months into the season and Munster are a team that is evolving and improving all the time. Compare yesterday to the semi final in Coventry, we have improved significantly, even after massive injury issues.

It takes time for all the pieces to fit together but we have possibly the best coaching team in Munster's history and I'm excited. I've sat in rooms where JvG has talked about his vision, his plans and I have every faith in him.

Comparing us to Leinster gets us nowhere. We don't have the playing population, the rugby schools or the money. We have to play the hand we're dealt.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think Munster have almost certainly taken a step forward from where they were. The belief and organisation in the side is at another level to what it was and that was evident yesterday.

With that said, I'm not sure how much can be read into the Saracens double header. The first match was dirge ruined by the weather and the second was a game of kick tennis for the most part. Neither team were at full strength. Munster lost a couple of guys during the game and Saracens were possibly undercooked with the big names who played having one match in 6 weeks.

I'd expect both teams to improve in the coming months but I reckon Saracens will improve a lot more. Itoje, Barrit, Williams, Goode, Skelton etc. will transform that team when they're all fit and have some games together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Really you can't expect huge changes this season with a whole new coaching team. One of them who only joined the team recently. Also the majority of senior squad not available for preseason and the start of season.

So not sure why anyone would anyone would look for his head....

I do think if it was the same coaching ticket as last year then maybe some questions might be raised.

I do find it strange to talk about the best coaching ticket in Munster history?? bit of an insult to the previous coach's who have won major trophies for Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I do find it strange to talk about the best coaching ticket in Munster history?? bit of an insult to the previous coach's who have won major trophies for Munster.

I did say possibly and I mean in terms of calibre and time and place. The coaches who delivered silverware in times past are heroes. Munster said they got their first choice coaches this season, from an international search. My point was that we've never been in that position before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

So a win in Paris and a BP win in Thomond against Ospreys, and hope that either Ospreys or Racing can stop Saracens from getting 5 points. Not seeing it, Racing are in great form.

mystic86 wrote: »
    So a win in Paris and a BP win in Thomond against Ospreys, and hope that either Ospreys or Racing can stop Saracens from getting 5 points. Not seeing it, Racing are in great form.

They aren't in great form, they are doing really badly in the T14.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

They aren't in great form, they are doing really badly in the T14.

If we beat Racing and Sarries beat Racing, where does that leave us? That bonus point would have been really handy..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

If we beat Racing and Sarries beat Racing, where does that leave us? That bonus point would have been really handy..

Racing would still be top.

Munster have a point more than Saracens in the pool so matching Saracens will leave Munster ahead and 10 points would guarantee Munster finish ahead of Saracens.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Munster are well capable of beating Racing in Paris. Racing are not a great team. They're capable of great rugby and moments but they are vulnerable. They've won 3 games this season in the T14 including losing at home.

Win in Paris and Munster will top the pool. There's a solid chance.

troyzer wrote: »

I'm talking about the race to finish 2nd in the group.

Munster have a point more than Saracens in the pool so matching Saracens will leave Munster ahead and 10 points would guarantee Munster finish ahead of Saracens.

Indeed. Nothing I said contradicts that?

Saracens are at home for that Racing game.

mystic86 wrote: »
    Indeed. Nothing I said contradicts that?

Saracens are at home for that Racing game.

Are you guys saying, we win away to Racing and we go through? That's good enough for me, there was some serious steel in Munster yesterday, if we bring that to Racing, I think we have a good chance.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Munster are well capable of beating Racing in Paris. Racing are not a great team. They're capable of great rugby and moments but they are vulnerable. They've won 3 games this season in the T14 including losing at home.

Win in Paris and Munster will top the pool. There's a solid chance.

As long as Racing prevent Saracens from getting a BP win.

I didn't think of that, I was only looking at the race for 2nd. Interesting.

troyzer wrote: »

How? If they lose both they stay on 17 points, or even with 2 LBP they would be on 19, we would be on 20 if we win in Paris and get BP win at home to Ospreys..?

WE'RE NOT OUT OF IT YET LADS! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

if Munster and saracens get 5 against the Ospreys that leaves it at:

Racing 17 played 4
    Munster 16 played 5
    Saracens 15 played 5

One win and Racing top the group in all likelihood ( Munster in theory could still catch them if they win 5-0 in Paris and racing only get 4 in London.)

Munster match sarries they come second at worst. Probably need 18 points minimum to get through as ulster and Leinster group both look like hitting at least 18

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Munster are evolving their playing style. Larkham is making a mark. They're going in the right direction.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

On the coaching ticket thing for me, realistically JVG will be given until the end of next season I would imagine.

On paper, Rowntree and Larkham look like an upgrade on Fla and Felix (as much as I liked them). Especially in attack, our style has clearly been evolving and that’s going to take some time.

Add in Snyman and De Allende arriving next year, it all points to JVG being given some time.

As an aside, those 2 signings haven’t been made official yet tho, right?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

aloooof wrote: »
    On the coaching ticket thing for me, realistically JVG will be given until the end of next season I would imagine.

On paper, Rowntree and Larkham look like an upgrade on Fla and Felix (as much as I liked them). Especially in attack, our style has clearly been evolving and that’s going to take some time.

Add in Snyman and De Allende arriving next year, it all points to JVG being given some time.

All the coaching staff are signed up until June 2022, so JVG won't be going anywhere until at least then unless he decides to leave himself.

And JVG himself picked Larkham and Rountree so he is most definitely not 'being given some time'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

aloooof wrote: »

Nope, just speculation in media and confirmation from Munster that there was discussion but nothing finalized.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

All the coaching staff are signed up until June 2022, so JVG won't be going anywhere until at least then unless he decides to leave himself.

And JVG himself picked Larkham and Rountree so he is most definitely not 'being given some time'

I think we agree (my clunky wording notwithstanding; it’s been a long weekend).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Or if IRFU decide to fire him.

So he's going nowhere unless either side decides that he is in fact going somewhere.

Advertisement