Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-08-2020, 23:19   #1
AllForIt

Woke-ism of the day

I think it's about time we highlighted the more wacky WOKE notions that are popping up in the media on a weekly basis nowadays, if any of them aren't at all. I'm putting this in AH in the hope it's a more lighthearted thread rather than not.

To start off here's 3 I've come across this last week alone.

Full Stops. Apparently full stops used in text messaging and the like are offensive to young people. Too much on the passive/aggressive side.Source.

Sky news are running a report this week that says one of the reasons black people are severely under-represented in pro swimming is because of their thick afro hair and standard swimming caps don't fit. I would have thought cutting your hair would be a solution to this problem but I suppose doing that would be discriminatory to hair.

Multi Grammy award winner Adele has been criticised for cultural appropriation, because she posted a pic of herself on Instagram sporting an African hairdo. I guess she's not into swimming. Source.

Do add the one's you come across as they arrive. I'll just make a prediction, exclamation marks will be next !

Last edited by Necro; 22-09-2020 at 21:38.
(90) thanks from:
1800_Ladladlad, 2smiggy, Abel Ruiz, ahnowbrowncow, Antares35, Approved User Assesment, a_squirrelman, Beaverpunisher, bfa1509, BK92, Blazer, Car99, Chris_Heilong, Clarence Boddiker, Corben Dallas, CtevenSrowder, daithi7, DavidLyons_, Day Lewin, DebDynamite, deceit, Del Griffith, DelaneyIn, dogbert27, DrSerious3, duffysfarm, duridian, ErnestBorgnine, Filmer Paradise, Flowergirl201, FrStone, gormdubhgorm, gozunda, Grizzly 45, HBC08, Hego Damask, imfml, IRE60, jim salter, jimmycrackcorm, jmayo, Jude13, JustAThought, Kar1994, Kingp35, leffesem, liamo77, maebee, Man with broke phone, mayomaffia, Metroid diorteM, Mic 1972, mieletech, muddypaws, New Home, NewMan1982, notharrypotter, nuac, OneLungDavy, Outlaw Pete, PARlance, pgj2015, Quazzie, REXER, rn, robman60, Samsgirl, scrumqueen, Season 2, sheepskin1234, Skid X, Smacruairi, Spleerbun, Squeeonline, teediddlyeye, The Davestator, the purple tin, TheMilkyPirate, timmyntc, toffee dave, tom1ie, TomSweeney, touts, tupenny, Turquoise Hexagon Sun, VicMackey1, Vowel Movement, WoollyRedHat, xieann, Yeah_Right
Advertisement
31-08-2020, 23:26   #3
Kylta

.(!!!).."!!!".
(4) thanks from:
31-08-2020, 23:28   #4
Your Face

Current Affairs/IMHO
31-08-2020, 23:35   #5
Goodshape

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllForIt View Post
IFull Stops. Apparently full stops used in text messaging and the like are offensive to young people. Too much on the passive/aggressive side.Source.
Oh that one's not so bad. I briefly skimmed the article and I don't think it's claiming offense? Just that it can be intimidating in a text message. That's true. I like it. The intimidating full-stop is a useful tool.

"fine"

vs

"fine."

You're in the ****-house if you're reading the second option and you know it.
Advertisement
31-08-2020, 23:36   #6
ILoveYourVibes

Quote:
I think it's about time we highlighted the more wacky WOKE notions that are popping up in the media on a weekly basis nowadays, if any of them aren't at all. I'm putting this in AH in the hope it's a more lighthearted thread rather than not.

To start off here's 3 I've come across this last week alone.

Full Stops. Apparently full stops used in text messaging and the like are offensive to young people. Too much on the passive/aggressive side.Source.

Sky news are running a report this week that says one of the reasons black people are severely under-represented in pro swimming is because of their thick afro hair and standard swimming caps don't fit. I would have thought cutting your hair would be a solution to this problem but I suppose doing that would be discriminatory to hair.

Multi Grammy award winner Adele has been criticised for cultural appropriation, because she posted a pic of herself on Instagram sporting an African hairdo. I guess she's not into swimming. Source.

Do add the one's you come across as they arrive. I'll just make a prediction, exclamation marks will be next !
You are more annoying that any wokism.
31-08-2020, 23:38   #7
nudain

Go wacky yourself off for a bit.
01-09-2020, 00:03   #9
DubInMeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Face View Post
Current Affairs/IMHO
No just bullsh1t as usual about being offended about other people being offended.
Advertisement
01-09-2020, 00:12   #10
AllForIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudain View Post
Go wacky yourself off for a bit.
Can't do that anymore. It's offensive to potential people.
05-09-2020, 00:23   #11
AllForIt

https://edition.cnn.com/style/articl...stick%20figure.

Various countries including Mumbai as per the article linked have gone to the trouble of changing the stick figures on their traffic lights to that of a female.

The problem with that is, would that not indicate that only woman can cross and visa versa.

05-09-2020, 00:28   #12
DubInMeath

Quote:

Various countries including Mumbai as per the article linked have gone to the trouble of changing the stick figures on their traffic lights to that of a female.

The problem with that is, would that not indicate that only woman can cross and visa versa.

Only in your head
05-09-2020, 00:30   #13
Birneybau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Face View Post
Current Affairs/IMHO
We can see through his crap over there
05-09-2020, 00:32   #14
Birneybau

Quote:

Mumbai isn't a country, galaxy brain
05-09-2020, 00:47   #15
AllForIt

I sense a very strong acceptance of Woke ideas around there. That's fine. Won't stop me ridiculing them though.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion