Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish "influencers"

Comments

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Speaking of tax, how do these influencers declare their income to Revenue?

Pay and File.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

RebeccaK21 wrote: »
    No, people don't experience experiences anymore! I think it's so sad that most don't even realise this. Maybe its easier to see now with the pandemic, but having been to tons of parks and beaches in the last year, the majority of people are glued to their phones, taking pics and videos for insta/SC/whatever. I truly don't see the point - the experience of going wherever/doing whatever isn't even memorable because it wasn't an experience to begin with, just an extended photoshoot. And the photos are for social media, not just for the person anymore. https://www.eonline.com/news/703309/this-phone-free-old-lady-has-reminded-the-world-to-stay-in-the-moment-see-the-pic This is a stupid clickbait pic but the old lady is the only person enjoying the moment.

you cant see sh1T at an event anymore because of arms up in front of you with phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Floppybits

It can't be easy being an "Influencer". I know it looks easy, just post a few videos or pictures, get the followers and bam you are up and running. But it seems to be a 24/7 job where you are constantly creating content and constantly hustling and that if you take any time away or take a break you will become irrelevant. I often wonder are this people able to have a normal life, can they actually switch off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Pay and File.

How are they set up?

Ltd company, sole trader?

How to do engage contracts to get paid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

How are they set up?

Uh isn't that up to each individual influencer? One might trade through an LLC, another might be a sole trader etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

How are they set up?

You could just as easily point to any industry containing mainly sole traders/one person companies and wonder how are they paying taxes.

I can't imagine too much of their income is paid in cash so you can be confident that any tax dodgers will be caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

RebeccaK21 wrote: »
    No, people don't experience experiences anymore! I think it's so sad that most don't even realise this. Maybe its easier to see now with the pandemic, but having been to tons of parks and beaches in the last year, the majority of people are glued to their phones, taking pics and videos for insta/SC/whatever. I truly don't see the point - the experience of going wherever/doing whatever isn't even memorable because it wasn't an experience to begin with, just an extended photoshoot. And the photos are for social media, not just for the person anymore. https://www.eonline.com/news/703309/this-phone-free-old-lady-has-reminded-the-world-to-stay-in-the-moment-see-the-pic This is a stupid clickbait pic but the old lady is the only person enjoying the moment.

So true, I went travelling in South America 2 years ago and most people were just at the tourist spots for the pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The whole tax system is open to corruption for any non-PAYE jobs. People are buying furniture, computers, paying utility bills, meals out, petrol/diesel and much more and writing it off as tax. And qualified accountants are being paid to instruct them all how to do this. And it’s all done completely legally!!
    The mind boggles when it comes to these influencers who are taking multiple trips to Dubai and staying in the finest of 5 star hotels out there. I don’t think these trips are a fiddle of our taxes but instead wealthy locals are paying to see these love island chicks in their bikinis.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Lemmiwinks86

Has anyone seen this? The cheek of this absolute bollox. As if some of us want to be getting a measly €350 a week! I know I would like to be back at work anyway!! I know he’s a known attention seeker but this is a bit below the belt! As if getting €350 a week is something to be happy about!!

The whole tax system is open to corruption for any non-PAYE jobs. People are buying furniture, computers, paying utility bills, meals out, petrol/diesel and much more and writing it off as tax. And qualified accountants are being paid to instruct them all how to do this. And it’s all done completely legally!!
    The mind boggles when it comes to these influencers who are taking multiple trips to Dubai and staying in the finest of 5 star hotels out there. I don’t think these trips are a fiddle of our taxes but instead wealthy locals are paying to see these love island chicks in their bikinis.

You're kind of contradicting yourself there

• Advertisement

If you want to know what they are doing in Dubai... google Dubai porta potty.... it should explain things 🀮

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Has anyone seen this? The cheek of this absolute bollox. As if some of us want to be getting a measly €350 a week! I know I would like to be back at work anyway!! I know he’s a known attention seeker but this is a bit below the belt! As if getting €350 a week is something to be happy about!!

I didnt really understand his point of view. Anyone claiming PUP are doing so because their industries are closed.

Im sure a lot of people are happier to be getting e350 tax free for no effort.

When I started my current job I was on less than e400 and I'm not on massive amounts more. And it's not an unskilled job.

Im sure a majority of the ones getting the full amount who worked in those kind of jobs are happier staying put.

Big difference between someone earning e500+ in a 9 to 5 staying on PUP and someone in there 20-30s who work in cafes, shops.
    He above was talking about the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭basill

Speaking of tax, how do these influencers declare their income to Revenue?

I suspect they don't or at best only declare the cash income which would be harder to hide as it would most likely be remitted electronically to their bank accounts. Similar to Revenue reviewing Airbnb accounts recently they should be writing to influencers and their agencies and undertaking audits. All the "freebies" are a benefit in kind and will need to be declared as such with tax paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Im sure a lot of people are happier to be getting e350 tax free for no effort.

When I started my current job I was on less than e400 and I'm not on massive amounts more. And it's not an unskilled job.

Im sure a majority of the ones getting the full amount who worked in those kind of jobs are happier staying put.

Big difference between someone earning e500+ in a 9 to 5 staying on PUP and someone in there 20-30s who work in cafes, shops.
    He above was talking about the latter.

There is Tax due on PUP payments.

They also have to legally declare if the photo/video they post contains paid sponsorship. It has to be clearly identified from the outset.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭chooey

bertsmom wrote: »
    There are some that I follow and find brilliant but these are all people running a business and using their Instagram profile for marketing whilst giving advice and tips on what they sell ie. A paint shop that recommends which product for which job etc BUT there's others like one Dublin girl who is an absolute shambles always giving out wrong information and always on the beg. Her latest thing was saying this particular brand of hot chocolate could increase the size of your heart by up to thirty per cent!!! This kind of rubbish is very dangerous and I think should be dealt with by immediately taking down the account not a weak half assed apology.
    They are so quick to say they are being bullied or trolled then when people call out their lies or complete misinformation. Definitely needs a lot more regulation and stricter standards for all the 'lifestyle and makeup' and health and fitness instahuns.

I saw that one. I don't follow her anymore but a friend was telling me about it and I went to have a look. I honestly do not know how she has her following-there is nothing influential about her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,863 ✭✭✭hynesie08

This your first time experiencing paul stenson?

hynesie08 wrote: »
    This your first time experiencing paul stenson?

I’m fully aware he’s a giant prick but this really riled me! I would give anything to be back I’m my job. I know he’s an attention seeker but that was too much. So many people have been affected and I do not know one person that “chooses” to be claiming PUP. it’s not a choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

'Influencers' are chancers alright :p
    But money for old rope. If people are dumb enough to watch them, then fair play for those making money off it. Let's be realistic tho many of them are barely gonna make anything. But hey, don't try don't succeed.

Any tax evasion by fraudulently claiming personal expenses as business expenses is not being done legally. Revenue catches up with everyone eventually, for example a number of years ago there was a big clamp down on one person companies paying mileage to the the one person for travelling to the one job all the time. You can be sure a high profile sector like these people are on their radar.

And yeah. the non-cash income is harder to capture but it is taxable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,863 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I’m fully aware he’s a giant prick but this really riled me! I would give anything to be back I’m my job. I know he’s an attention seeker but that was too much. So many people have been affected and I do not know one person that “chooses” to be claiming PUP. it’s not a choice.

And yet you posted it here, which made me check out their Facebook to see the replies. He caught you hook line and sinker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭HBC08

timple23 wrote: »
    It is a lot easier and cheaper for a company to post out/giveaway some products than to pay large amounts for an advertising campaign.

In some cases influencers are made sign contracts with these brands, as part of the contract they are basically told not to say anything negative about the items.

I follow someone who complained about a spoofer on instagram, they basically exposed someone who was pretending to be a qualified tradesman working on building sites, but in fact he was nothing more than a garage cowboy, thing is he was demoing tools worth over €1000, which I was deceitful. (Not from Ireland)

I'm nearly convinced a lot of this like,tag,share competitions on Instagram are rigged (unless done live with a randomiser), they are won by people who regularly post on Instagram and who the competition organisers think will post about the product they "won", therefore giving the company more free advertising.

I worked in a job a few years ago where our target market was 18-21 year olds.We often ran competitions on fb (the kids were still using fb then) The prize would be worth about €1500
    The winner as is often stated on these things was chosen at random*

* means one of the interns would spend half an hour figuring who had a lot of friends/most likes on their posts etc.
    You would be mental to do it any other way.

And yet you posted it here, which made me check out their Facebook to see the replies. He caught you hook line and sinker.

Wow. You are rude....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

So someone posting an image made you check out the Facebook page in question, and you're accusing them of falling for it?

Sounds like Lemmiwinks86 is the master influencer here, and you the influencee.

• Advertisement

So someone posting an image made you check out the Facebook page in question, and you're accusing them of falling for it?

Sounds like Lemmiwinks86 is the master influencer here, and you the influencee.

That's actually a good point! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

HBC08 wrote: »
    I worked in a job a few years ago where our target market was 18-21 year olds.We often ran competitions on fb (the kids were still using fb then) The prize would be worth about €1500

* means one of the interns would spend half an hour figuring who had a lot of friends/most likes on their posts etc.

That's not very legal

Any tax evasion by fraudulently claiming personal expenses as business expenses is not being done legally. Revenue catches up with everyone eventually, for example a number of years ago there was a big clamp down on one person companies paying mileage to the the one person for travelling to the one job all the time. You can be sure a high profile sector like these people are on their radar.

Sometimes, but not always. The Revenue have been playing their game long enough to spot tax cheats but do not have the man-power to check everyone. As long as ya declare in the ball park you will be fine. Ie, say you are a taxi driver and the average taxi wage in Dublin is, say I dunno, 45k a year. If you've been declaring 25k the last few years and show no-signs of having another job (PAYE, another business or even pension) you will get an audit. But declaring 39k (instead of 45k) and you will get away with it.

As for business expenses you'd be surprised what you can claim for :pac: Some people don't know about the whole tax depreciation of 12.5% - in terms of 'influencers' that could be 12.5% of your mobile, tablet, laptop and microphone cost. They could deduct price of clothes! Stating it's for use in their professional image :pac: Hell, a taxi driver could deduct that suit he bought for his mates wedding as working clothes :pac:

Sometimes, but not always. The Revenue have been playing their game long enough to spot tax cheats but do not have the man-power to check everyone. As long as ya declare in the ball park you will be fine. Ie, say you are a taxi driver and the average taxi wage in Dublin is, say I dunno, 45k a year. If you've been declaring 25k the last few years and show no-signs of having another job (PAYE, another business or even pension) you will get an audit. But declaring 39k (instead of 45k) and you will get away with it.

As for business expenses you'd be surprised what you can claim for :pac: Some people don't know about the whole tax depreciation of 12.5% - in terms of 'influencers' that could be 12.5% of your mobile, tablet, laptop and microphone cost. They could deduct price of clothes! Stating it's for use in their professional image :pac: Hell, a taxi driver could deduct that suit he bought for his mates wedding as working clothes :pac:

If they claim the full capital allowance for equipment that has both personal and business use, they're breaking the law.

If they claim for any clothes, they're also breaking the law. Only protective clothing is tax deductible. Your typical influencer will hardly be buying snickers trousers and steel toe boots :pac:

Every year, the information required on income and corporation tax returns increases. Revenue have the necessary to software to analyse this information for anomalies. If you're too far off the normal for your industry, and you can't explain it, you will be in bother.

In the taxi example, they could look at the fuel expense relative to the fee income.

Can someone please explain to my they are all so cringy and annoying.

the wife follows some of them on Insta and that Kieran Corrigan lad is the absolute pits.

Every day hes on the beg, forever looking for free stuff. and his voice like nails on chalkboard.

anyone else fed up with the influencer types at this point?

KC is the worst kind of begger I have ever came across!! When i did follow him and watched his stories my husband used to go mental at the very sound of his screaming voice! I had to unfollow because my nerves were at me because his stupid phrases and screaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

How can anyone make a living from only a few thousand followers? Asking for a friend.

When you're living in your parents spare room and the limit of your ambition is to one day convince them to convert the garage to allow you live in there then I suppose you will get by on a few thousand followers. Throw in that you don't pay for meals out etc because you threaten a bad review and they don't really need much at all

I’ve been contracting in the past and the amount I could claim was minimal. According to my accountant. A tiny percentage of mobile and broadband costs. That’s it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,304 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

gary550 wrote: »
    That's not very legal
    "Influencers" seem to be a law unto themselves when it comes to paid ads etc.
    Very very few follow the guidelines (putting appropriate hashtags etc).
    Why would they? Barely a slap on the wrist.

If they claim the full capital allowance for equipment that has both personal and business use, they're breaking the law.

If they claim for any clothes, they're also breaking the law. Only protective clothing is tax deductible. Your typical influencer will hardly be buying snickers trousers and steel toe boots :pac:

Every year, the information required on income and corporation tax returns increases. Revenue have the necessary to software to analyse this information for anomalies. If you're too far off the normal for your industry, and you can't explain it, you will be in bother.

In the taxi example, they could look at the fuel expense relative to the fee income.

Re: if your too far off from your normal industry ...
    That's exactly what I said. What you quoted.

Re: equipment for both professional and personal use.
    Now come on :pac:
    Take some freelance web designer. He'll be claiming that 12.5% each year off his laptop. It will be the same laptop he watches Netflix on in bed.

Re: looking at fuel for taxi man.
    "Ah sure, there were times Mr tax man I was driving around for ages trying to get a fare. I'm not the sort to park up at a rank to get a measly 7 euro fare then back again to the rank"

For someone who comes off as pretty well versed with taxes you don't seem well versed with people. Like, people fiddle.

Take some freelance web designer. He'll be claiming that 12.5% each year off his laptop. It will be the same laptop he watches Netflix on in bed.

"Ah sure, there were times Mr tax man I was driving around for ages trying to get a fare. I'm not the sort to park up at a rank to get a measly 7 euro fare then back again to the rank"

For someone who comes off as pretty well versed with taxes you don't seem well versed with people. Like, people fiddle.

You could say similar to a PAYE worker who gets a "free laptop" to work from home and also watches netflix or reads the news or book a holiday, i.e. using a work laptop for personal use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,304 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You could say similar to a PAYE worker who gets a "free laptop" to work from home and also watches netflix or reads the news or book a holiday, i.e. using a work laptop for personal use
    If a PAYE worker can do all that on their work laptop....the ICT department where they work should be fired.
    It's also not a free laptop...you kind of have to hand it back if you leave...

gmisk wrote: »
    If a PAYE worker can do all that on their work laptop....the ICT department where they work should be fired.

I have worked in multiple multi national companies for 20 years and PAYE workers do all that on their work laptops / computers, including the ICT departments.

The free was in inverted commas as a sole trader web designer as given in the example would still have to buy his own laptop for work.

Thanks, I think :D

I know people fiddle. I'm an accountant. I have seen many people face unpleasant consequences for their fiddling when Revenue catches up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Honestly I don't think revenue are really on the pulse of these people yet

I can point them to an "influencer" who has successfully avoided about 180k in VRT over the past year and a bit by driving around UK registered cars here, being so brazen as to park them in their drive :pac: if revenue was on it that wouldn't be happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

gary550 wrote: »
    Honestly I don't think revenue are really on the pulse of these people yet

I can point them to an "influencer" who has successfully avoided about 180k in VRT over the past year and a bit by driving around UK registered cars here, being so brazen as to park them in their drive :pac: if revenue was on it that wouldn't be happening

Must not have been reported yet.
    A Cork "influencer" was reported after showing how much cash she received for an appearance. Got slapped with a bill too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

can we bring back bloggers unveiled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

gmisk wrote: »

I work for a (small) multinational, and some fair personal use of laptops, phones and company photocopiers is approved of in the Company Handbook. The company have actively encouraged us to use our corporate Teams accounts (on our work laptops or mobiles) to keep in contact with friends and family during lockdown.

2 years ago we all got new laptops, and were given the option of buying our old ones for €1, the proceeds of which were donated to charity. Not free, but we got high spec laptops for almost nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

The number of Influencers in Ireland that have any value are very small, Pippa o Connor (maybe the exception) does well and charges high prices to promote any product but the vast majority have very little influence getting people to spend their money.

Companies are sick spending tens of thousands to Facebook, Google and online press where in theory an influencer should be able to target their target market more precisely.

The rate cards some Irish influencers have is laughable and aren't able to justify why they demands so much, one with 5000 followers will demand the same as an influencer with 100,000 followers.

I've dealt with influencers with over 2 million on YouTube 5,000,000 on Instagram and more on Tiktoc and you'd be surprised how little influence they actually have.

YouTube influencers are most influential and Instagram are very hit and miss. Just because a female has hundreds of thousands of followers it might not be because of there knowledge on a topic they have.

But it is true companies will through 000's at people even with a small following but it won't continue unless they can prove themselves.

Sosueme is way more successful (and rich!!) than Pippa!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

can we bring back bloggers unveiled?

Isn't there some site kind of like boards that is solely for talking nonsense about these type of people ?

My missus does be always laughing at it ,
    I'm not sure if your allowed mention it here but its called Tattle or something like that ?

There is no tax implication there at all.

As for the 12.5% taken down from personal laptops, I've never seen that. I have seen them expensed to a company where the IT worker has his own company, which is about as much tax avoidance as a plumbing writing off his work equipment.
    I have worked in multiple multi national companies for 20 years and PAYE workers do all that on their work laptops / computers, including the ICT departments.

The free was in inverted commas as a sole trader web designer as given in the example would still have to buy his own laptop for work.

Actually companies prefer to give contractors company owned laptops these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Thanks I was convinced I was going crazy about this. Two examples I saw;

Someone, well known on insta, who posted on their story that they were building, a week later they win a voucher for €500, they would need maybe €2000 worth of product to furnish the building, so handy way of getting them to choose that companies product. (They never posted afterwards that they used that company's product)

Another example, there was around 900 comments on the post, "5 people were picked at random", and then a randomiser was used on live. I had heard of 3 of the 5 people picked before this. One has a youtube chanel, another regularly advertises a podcast, forget the third. And of course the winner is then used for advertising by the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

EKRIUQ wrote: »

I've dealt with influencers with over 2 million on YouTube 5,000,000 on Instagram and more on Tiktoc and you'd be surprised how little influence they actually have.

Do you know what returns the business had from using these influencers? How would you measure the return? Referral code?

Sosueme is giving away an exercise bike worth €3K. She has partnered up with techno gym Ireland and is delighted to give it away to one of her lucky fans. All you have to do to be in with a chance to win is like her post, comment below about why you would like to get the bike, and share her post to your story. So I got no chance of winning the bike if I do all these things for my Queen??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Yea, I'd say that's very wide spread. I've a private Instagram account and I always feel there's little point in me entering competitions on the app because I'm not exactly great marketing material for a company's products.

To thine own self be true

Advertisement