Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish "influencers"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,279 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ulster wrote: »
    Ireland just doesn't have the climate for influencers. It's a sheep mentality here.

Are influencers by definition not 'Shepherds of the flock'?

Regardless of geographical boundaries etc

:confused:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭SheroP

Late to the party I know, but there’s a sham that really grinds my gears, perhaps intentionally or not, who spends every day eating burgers and chicken wings, I’m convinced the chap is somewhere on the spectrum , no offence to anyone with a medical condition, but his behaviour is ridiculous, and if that’s what an influencer does, count me out !! Rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

bertsmom wrote: »
    Oh I agree the make up side of things I just find a bit irritating like why have a filter on showing cosmetics it's pointless, the customer has no idea what it would look like.
    My issue with that particular Dublin instagrammer that I spoke about is her wildly stupid and sometimes downright dangerous notions for example she was saying how she wanted to lose 28 pounds in 28 days which whilst as an adult I can see she's just an absolute fool a younger or just more vulnerable person may think that's a perfectly healthy goal which I think is where regulations are needed and consequences for these stupid notions are warranted.
    Same one also said they 'adopted' their new pup which would lead one to believe they adopted from a reputable shelter but no this one just 'got' the dog from people they knew but was happy to let people think they had rescued. That as well as the chocolate increasing your heart by 30% just makes me annoyed and also angry that people would believe what these people say and take it as facts instead of the complete nonsense it is. I think the one I'm on about would do any business more harm than good anyway.

Whoever that is, is a complete dope. Having an enlarged heart is not a good thing. I mean, chocolate wouldn’t have that effect anyway but why does she think having an enlarged heart is something to aspire to?

Whenever I hear a grown man talking about "influencers", positively or negatively, whatever respect I had for him (usually very little, to be fair) drops considerably.

This poster speaks the truth. Having strong opinions about influencers means you are spending too long on the internet and are highly gullible by nature. You really shouldn’t let things you see or interact with online create such strong emotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I love how they constantly incorrectly spell chancer as influencer.

Photogenic Beggars is my preferred description.

• Advertisement

Never mind bog-standard "influencers": even being a genuine celebrity doesn't impart any sense of mystique any more. 20 years ago and before, "famous" people seemed to live on a different plane to mere mortals. It felt like you were either famous or you weren't . Now if I saw a famous person walk past me I wouldn't care at all. Everyone is a public figure nowadays, visible on the internet; it's just a matter how famous. Also, celebrities can't get away with being their natural selves nowadays because if they ever have an off moment they know it will go viral and they will suffer due to this. I think I'm just so blunted from constant media and information supply since 2008 that I just don't care about famous or so called influential people I'm supposed to acknowledge are significant. Pre broadband we were all more starved of information about famous people (and just every subject in general) so there was still mystique and wonder in people and things.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I just dont understand why businesses give these morons free products.
    Free advertising. Placing ads is very expensive. Sending a few free samples ...practically free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

I live in a village of maybe 300 people. We have at least two "local influencers". I sh1t you not two of them. That's almost one percent of the population influencers!! They are regularly cited in the local media as an "influencer". The lad is about 23/24 and from what I understand never worked a day in his life. He was captain of the local club Minor football team a couple of years back when they reached the county qtr finals and you would think he was captain of Ireland the way he swaggers around the place. A girl of about 19 thinks she is one of the Kardashians. Fake tan, glossy hair, the whole lot as she heads to the local shop. She goes to some Institute of Technology to study marketing and it seems she applies every thing she learns to herself. Apparently they are constantly on TikTok posting sh1te with silly ears and stuff. They have a few thousand followers each and are seemingly making a living from it. Your ones mother is fierce proud of her daughter.

We've reached peak bollockology with this generation.

touts wrote: »
    I live in a village of maybe 300 people. We have at least two "local influencers". I sh1t you not two of them. That's almost one percent of the population influencers!! They are regularly cited in the local media as an "influencer". The lad is about 23/24 and from what I understand never worked a day in his life. He was captain of the local club Minor football team a couple of years back when they reached the county qtr finals and you would think he was captain of Ireland the way he swaggers around the place. A girl of about 19 thinks she is one of the Kardashians. Fake tan, glossy hair, the whole lot as she heads to the local shop. She goes to some Institute of Technology to study marketing and it seems she applies every thing she learns to herself. Apparently they are constantly on TikTok posting sh1te with silly ears and stuff. They have a few thousand followers each and are seemingly making a living from it. Your ones mother is fierce proud of her daughter.

We've reached peak bollockology with this generation.
    Well if they are making a living and paying taxes ..good for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

How can anyone make a living from only a few thousand followers? Asking for a friend.

• Advertisement

Not my demographic at all! I would not follow 'celebs' who are promoting stuff.
    I can see why people do though monkey see monkey do etc. Some people like the glamour and want to imitate them.
    I had no idea that it was such handy money for them them just mentioning a few products.

I didn’t follow a celeb because she was promoting stuff but because I enjoy her acting. Then she started promoting stuff.

Otherwise I have no interactions with influencers and I don’t see why they annoy anybody else. For me Instagram is basically photos.

By the way it’s clear that the anti influencer brigade here are following the influencers.

How can anyone make a living from only a few thousand followers? Asking for a friend.

Well some would have tens of thousands of followers. Ireland can support jobs in local radio and free newspapers with tens of thousands of listeners or readers. Or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Never mind bog-standard "influencers": even being a genuine celebrity doesn't impart any sense of mystique any more. 20 years ago and before, "famous" people seemed to live on a different plane to mere mortals. It felt like you were either famous or you weren't . Now if I saw a famous person walk past me I wouldn't care at all. Everyone is a public figure nowadays, visible on the internet; it's just a matter how famous. Also, celebrities can't get away with being their natural selves nowadays because if they ever have an off moment they know it will go viral and they will suffer due to this. I think I'm just so blunted from constant media and information supply since 2008 that I just don't care about famous or so called influential people I'm supposed to acknowledge are significant. Pre broadband we were all more starved of information about famous people (and just every subject in general) so there was still mystique and wonder in people and things.

Totally agree with you about everything pre 2008 the saturation of information of celebrity and normal people's lives really has taken away any privacy firstly.Then the mystique from people.sometimes less is more ...

I imagine most who are over 25 have other jobs etc.

One guy who has a channel called matt does fitness showed how much his vids earned on youtube for a year.

It was like 200k or something. That is not including deals. But he built up a following over years. Also his videos are really well edited and look professional and he has an amiable personality ...and he looks like this

hemob6zz7r331.jpg

and he has a son who he makes intros with and its prob like responsible for most of his followers.

Thus he covers all his basis ...bros like him for his fitness tips and comedy ..girls like him for luca and his hot bod and his really cool chill wife who they can relate to. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Boscoirl wrote: »
    On of the saddest things I saw was one Irish influencer, can’t remember her name but she went out with an Irish rugby player, was on the cover of one of those news paper magazines. And the caption was something like “I didn’t know how to tell my followers my father had cancer”

I know who this is. She truly is one of the most unlikeable ‘celebrities’ this country has ever produced. A complete narcissist airhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Remember, if you question influencers, you are sexist:

Female influencers make up over 77% of the industry and the majority of our followers and consumers are women. If you bring it back to economics, our industry contributes millions into Britain's GDP annually. If the industry was mostly male and the product on offer were cars, I am convinced the stigma would not be so rife.

Sorry, but it stinks of sexism.

What's even more irritating to so many is that these young women are making bank. They make huge amounts of money through social media selling clothes, beauty, sex toys and lifestyle goods. With influencer marketing set to be worth $15 billion by 2022, they are dominating the industry.

They make your clothes look nice, they get the holidays you want to get. To question them is completely wrong...

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/living/2020/0729/1156228-jessica-megan-on-why-hating-influencers-stinks-of-sexism/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Is it not sexist that 77% of the industry is female? Where's the equality there?

Is it not sexist that 77% of the industry is female? Where's the equality there?

Maybe they will introduce gender quotas?

Haha just kidding, not a chance.

Yet the men still get paid more despite having fewer followers ...

https://www.bizjournals.com/bizwomen/news/latest-news/2020/01/gender-pay-gap-among-influencers-grows-as-audience.html?page=all

• Registered Users Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I really don't understand (read: care) how people make money from IG and the likes, so I can't refute it. But is there any stats on what they make money on vs the other gender? It's not a black and white industry in the slightest. Maybe male IG's make more money for the company they're advertising than women do? Maybe more people buy what men are touting? I don't know any of this, and I don't care enough to try and find out (a quick Google didn't return anything much).

But it was tongue in cheek anyway. I couldn't care less if more men/women do a certain job, as long as they're right for the job is all I care about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I really don't understand (read: care) how people make money from IG and the likes, so I can't refute it. But is there any stats on what they make money on vs the other gender? It's not a black and white industry in the slightest. Maybe male IG's make more money for the company they're advertising than women do? Maybe more people buy what men are touting? I don't know any of this, and I don't care enough to try and find out (a quick Google didn't return anything much).

But it was tongue in cheek anyway. I couldn't care less if more men/women do a certain job, as long as they're right for the job is all I care about.

I would assume it's to do with the brand, I would think the majority of beauty products and fitness clothing would be promoted by ladies. Men would be more shaving products, protein drinks etc ...these can be promoted by both of course

Ig is also a very fad based tech as well, so if you are not keeping up to date with the latest trend then that affects your earnings more than your gender I would say...the way you look also has huge effect on the "follower" count resulting in more cash...

Why didn’t you pick the two top google searches above your link to make your argument? Did it not suit your narrative?

Perhaps the market that female influencers cater towards is over saturated with, idk, other female influencers? And thus, in an entirely unregulated market that doesn’t even make note of payment in kind (goods such as clothes, make-up, hotel stays), more women competing against each other will bring down their own profit?

Except of course for those who really perform well.

Cosmopolitan already had an article that showed female influencers with over 100,00 followers fairly outperformed male influencers.

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Why didn’t you pick the two top google searches above your link to make your argument? Did it not suit your narrative?

Perhaps the market that female influencers cater towards is over saturated with, idk, other female influencers? And thus, in an entirely unregulated market that doesn’t even make note of payment in kind (goods such as clothes, make-up, hotel stays), more women competing against each other will bring down their own profit?

Except of course for those who really perform well.

Cosmopolitan already had an article that showed female influencers with over 100,00 followers fairly outperformed male influencers.

Firstly I would like to challenge your outrageous assumption that pointing out inequalities for women is a narrative rather than the truth.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/heatherleighton/2020/01/16/study-finds-a-pay-gap-between-male-and-female-influencers/

I find it absolutely ridiculous that you would rate studies on such pay gaps based on how they turn up in google searches. I assume you realize how ridiculous that would be.
    A new report from influencer analytics company HypeAuditor found that male Instagram influencers on average are earning more than female influencers, with the gap rising more in higher audience tiers.
    The report’s findings are based on survey responses from more than 1,600 influencers from over 40 countries with a tiered following range from 5,000 to over 1 million. Of the 1,600 respondents, 69% were female and the remaining 31% were male. The payment breakdowns were split into four categories: per post, per story, post and story, and post, story, and video (not IGTV).

The quality of the study is what matters to someone who really understands such matters. Not how it shows up in a google search.

This was an international study covering 40 developed countries.

And Hype Auditor who conducted the study is one of the biggest companies that is known for providing authentically checked and vetted results on influencers and not being fooled by bought followers and marketing etc.

Its EVEN a topic that is WIDELY discussed in the marketing industry.
    https://marketingland.com/women-make-up-majority-of-influencer-community-earn-less-than-male-influencers-262193
    Seventy-seven percent of influencers are women, but they’re earning $108 les per post than male influencers, according to a recent study.
    Pay gap highest on YouTube

“When segmenting the data by channel, we noticed that YouTube had the highest gender pay gap,” said Guy Avigdor, COO and co-founder of Klear, “Overall, we found a 33% gap across all other platforms, yet YouTube was 5% higher with a 38% pay gap between men and women.”
    Klear analyzed more than 2,500 influencers across Instagram, Facebook and YouTube during all of 2018 and discovered the only industry where women influencers earn more than men was the travel industry, with women taking in $615 per post on average compared to the $570 per post rate earned by male travel influencers. (Ironically, across the industries measured, at 39% the travel industry contains the highest percentage of male influencers.)
    In the lifestyle industry, where women make up 88% of the total number of influencers posting branded content, they are earning as much as $200 less per post than men. According to Klear’s data, women lifestyle influencers earn $466 per post versus $672 earned by men

Black women are paid less than white women. I think since YOU trust cosmo over fobres (basically a women's fashion magazine )...you will allow me this.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/reports/a35352031/race-inequality-influencer-pay-gap/

Inside the influencer pay gap: Why are Black women being paid less for their posts?

Hype auditor in particular is used to dealing with the peculiarities of the influencer industry.

Although the article i have should you about black women being paid less than white women ..which i suspect is accurate.

I would rate FORBES better than cosmo for journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Is it not surely up to the influencers or their management agency that they signed with to negotiate the best contract for them?
    If female influencers earn less then maby they need to negotiate better. Isn't Andrea Roche the main agency in Ireland for this, as a female led agency perhaps its a failure on their part maby.
    I really can't see how gender inequality is at play here, it's not like it's a traditional role that's been male dominated for decades it's a relatively new industry thus a level playing field.

bertsmom wrote: »
    Is it not surely up to the influencers or their management agency that they signed with to negotiate the best contract for them?
    If female influencers earn less then maby they need to negotiate better. Isn't Andrea Roche the main agency in Ireland for this, as a female led agency perhaps its a failure on their part maby.
    I really can't see how gender inequality is at play here, it's not like it's a traditional role that's been male dominated for decades it's a relatively new industry thus a level playing field.
    I actually cannot tell you how it works. But I would assume it differs from person to person.

I do think a lot of agencies that represent young women....end up exploiting them. That is no judgement on Andrea Roche however.

Whilst i accept its a new field. A lot of the deals they get ..are from male dominated fields. Like car ads etc. Or whatever.

Perhaps they want someone who attracts ...a male audience of a certain age.

I think the gamer take over has a lot to do with this. I mean some of their content is AWFUL ..dewie die pie ..nothing against him ..but tis unwatchable a lot of the time.

But perhaps this audience is where the money is.

They say only men can sell to men and only women can sell to women. With a few exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Jesus, we d litterly sell sh1t to each other

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Jesus, we d litterly sell sh1t to each other
    yup

I need a support group ...i bought a jade roller.

We even buy parts of our own lives ....we literally pay people to take pictures of our own lives to sell to us. So we can 'own' those moments.

When you go for a walk with pretty scenery ...what do you do ...take a pic ...put it on instagram ...own it then sell it.

Go a party with friends ..own the moment then sell it on fb or instagram ..

Not judging ...maybe its a force for good ...i dunno ..but its how it is

Its my first instinct ..if i go to a gathering (not doing it now of course) is to posses that moment ..take a pic ..then put it in fb or whatever ...i guess if i am honest it sells an image of me

We even buy parts of our own lives ....we literally pay people to take pictures of our own lives to sell to us. So we can 'own' those moments.

It's one of the main reasons why I've never done social media beyond forums, I truly find that world bizarre. are people actually experiencing experiences anymore? There's an astonishing amount of money being made from all of this, and we re consenting to it all as well, truly bizarre

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It's one of the main reasons why I've never done social media beyond forums, I truly find that world bizarre. are people actually experiencing experiences anymore? There's an astonishing amount of money being made from all of this, and we re consenting to it all as well, truly bizarre
    Yes ..its our culture. It primes us for this ...materializing of our lives.

I am very bad for social media. ...not sure what hit i get out of it.

I see things of friends ..lovely people ..and they organize things ...for pictures ....i wonder if they and I myself plan our lives for it ..or even just events.

Sorry if i seem ..daft to be talking like this.

• Advertisement

I am very bad for social media. ...not sure what hit i get out of it.

It's a dopamine hit, hence why we re virtually addicted to it, it happens to us on all platforms, including boards, and its a fundamental part of their business model. Its been a very clever marketing strategy, get us addicted by playing on a fundamental human need, I.e. human connection, and let the money roll in, oh and data mining is virtually tax free, so happy days!

Advertisement