Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6 Time Graffiti Tag Attack Victim!

• 12-01-2014 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, my van has been targeted at least 5 times by taggers (actually lost track but it's at least 5 times, pictures have numbers to indicate attack number). Also the ? is a bit of signwriting that was hanging off, this could have been anything so don't want to say it was someone walking by, but you never know :) I don't believe there's any motive other than a clean van in a somewhat dark and hidden parking place. I've never fallen out with anyone in the area and would be a peaceful and friendly enough lad. I can even appreciate the artistic effort and styles of some of the better graffiti out there, but this is beginning to annoy me.

It's not like I run a huge company who can just call in a cleaning crowd and knock it off as an expense every time, I've been out there scrubbing it all off myself each time and breathing in whatever chemicals I'm using and then the chemicals of course have to go somewhere after too.

I'd really prefer not to have to park elsewhere as it's really the only spot close by I don't have to worry about a car parking behind it so I can open the tail lift etc when I need.

Some of you may have seen my thread looking for a surveillance set up for the van which never got realised but just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to deter/identify the culprits at all and opinions what you'd do in the same situation?

6fCCZ5_thumb.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

cormie wrote: »
    just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to deter/identify the culprits at all and opinions what you'd do in the same situation?

If it is happening regularly, like a few times a week, I'd be staying in the van overnight. Then I'd introduce them to my friend Mr Baseball Bat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That's the thing, it's only happening every so often, the 6 attacks are spanning more than a year from 1st to last :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

BMJD wrote: »
    If it is happening regularly, like a few times a week, I'd be staying in the van overnight. Then I'd introduce them to my friend Mr Baseball Bat.

Dunno about the Bat as with the laws in this country the OP would be the one who'd get done :rolleyes: , but I'd probably park up across from it in a car with plenty of twinkies and coffee - stake-out style!

The bigger problem you'll also have of course is the cops will probably have no interest in this sorta thing so you can scare them off but if they come back there's not much you can really do legally

Irish justice system for ya :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

is CCTV on your premises or house an option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I know you don't want to,but you have to park it somewhere else. That is your sole and only option in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

Thanks for the replies. Ah the internet, have started to get identities of a few of them already :) They have already been reported to the Gardai too, but I'm not sure what can be done unless they are caught in the act?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Having dabbled in this dark art many many moons ago ;) I'd wager a bet these lads live close enough to you or you live close to train tracks or the like

- pics 1 - 4 - looks like you were hit by the same lads 'HWC' crew - and one in particular CEK several times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Is the van alarmed? maybe installing a proximity sensor if you have a free slot on the alarm,while it wont stop them it might deter them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Keep the tags and report them to the Garda / Council. They do keep a database of the tags and occasionally when they are caught, they are produced as evidence. Not huge publicity here but definitely in the UK they are being more proactive. I know at least two guys got collared in Dun Laoghaire / Bray a few years ago, and they pulled out a massive file of previous "work".

You could install a basic DVR system on the truck, not a problem and relatively easy to do. Depends how much you want to spend however. If you got a decent 2 or 4 channel DVR from China and some small cameras, you could get set up for about €300 I'd say. The issue is alot of these guys would cover their faces when undertaking such activities. Some don't but I'd wager your success rate would be very low.

Alternative perhaps is a clear vinyl wrap. When sprayed, you can remove and replace the wrap. If that works out cheaper than cleaning the paint, could be an option. In addition, and I'm not expert, spray paint would have an issue adhering to some plastics / vinyls. I guarantee you 3M or similar produce a wrap that is 'anti paint' for use in industry etc.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot for the very helpful replies everyone. The clear wrap idea is one I haven't thought of before but would probably be pricey enough and as I've signwriting on it already, may not adhere to the surface very well, also a few scratches etc from tree branches and the likes.

Well I'm glad to say I've had some good feedback privately about this so it appears I'm not the only one. Eringobragh's wager seems close anyway (other than calling it a dark "art", there's no art here :)) They are close by and in Greystones too and it does seem there's a profile being assembled on them and it's probably only a matter of time before they are brought forward for it. Every bit of evidence like this will help I guess and probably increase any fine/community service time/jail time for them.

They are probably nice enough lads and everything, just need to mature a bit. Although I'm a lot more forgiving than a lot of people attacked 6 times would be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A problem too is that once the vandals sees someone else tagging it they will think "fair game" so it's important to get rid of the tags pronto.
    It's referred to as "Broken windows theory" in psychology.

You can look into "anti graffiti coating" to protect the van. They exist for buildings, not sure about vans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Unless KERS has moved, he's from North Dublin, not Greystones so I don't think they're locals. Been about 7 years since I've talked to the lad all the same, could well be out that way.
    I'll post up in FB that you've had enough, I have a friends of friends added.

FWIW, they probably think the van is owned by the company rather than yourself, a sort of "moral code" would say not to write on a van owned by an indavidual.
    Vans are high targets though as they move around a lot.

Cheers for that :) Kers is a new one, one or two of the others are local from what I've been told and one from Greystones too. I guess the question is, does the tag mean it's them, or are others copying their tags and saying "oh Kers couldn't come out tonight, we should do his too" haha.

You get a bit of other lads throwing up theirs mates tags but I'd say if the tag's there then they were too.
    A few lads took note. :)

Is the van near or on route to the skate park from the dart?
    You'd get a load lads into skating that are into graffiti too.

Don't forget to inform the Gardai. If the same tags are all over the shop on other cars and buildings the vandals hopefully will get done at some point, and they may need your statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I've read that WD40 is great at removing spray paint and pen from car bodies, not sure if it will attache the clear coat so maybe try some on the back of a door... Try leaving a note or print some on the stick them on the back windows so they know you are a one man company so maybe they will stop.

WD40 is safe on car paint so you might want to give that a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

CianRyan wrote: »
    ===
    FWIW, they probably think the van is owned by the company rather than yourself, a sort of "moral code" would say not to write on a van owned by an indavidual. ==.

Some code, individual who have company with 100 vans is still an individual.

cabb8ge wrote: »
    Some code, individual who have company with 100 vans is still an individual.

Hence the inverted commas, I know English isn't your first language but you should have a bit of cop on before attacking a post like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Hence the inverted commas, I know English isn't your first language but you should have a bit of cop on before attacking a post like that.

I didn't think he was attacking you post IMO. Seems he was referring to the taggers behaviour rather than what you wrote specifically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

WD40 does work well to echo an above post. Takes a bit of elbow grease but it does work.

Petrol will have it removed in seconds if you don't mind possible effects on the laquer underneath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thanks again for the replies folks. Didn't try WD40, but tried nail polish remover which works pretty well. Unfortunately I didn't do it right to begin with and what was happening is I was putting too much on and it would send streaks down the van and the streaks were the worst to get out, had I just got a thick cloth and done small circular wipingwith it, it would have been a lot cleaner and easier to get off I Think and would have covered a smaller area. The wall of the van is a kind of honeycomb material too and there's tiny little bumps and getting in here needed something stronger. I ended up using Cellulose thinner and it was a lot stronger although I'd prefer not to be using any such chemicals.

No skate park around here from waht I know.

A few lads took note. :)

Thanks for the efforts CianRyan but seems a few lads isn't enough. Got attacked again :mad:

Can't even make out the tags!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Based on what Cian was saying that taggers can sometimes have a 'code', would a sticker stating that the business is independently owned help? Something similar to what Fastway Couriers have on their vans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Swarfega do a "Graffiti Remover" in a spray - it takes off the marker very easily. Takes seconds.

Looks like Ames maybe?
    Not someone I'm familiar with.

A sticker to say the van is privately owned might be an idea alright.

If you weren't with Van Tasks I'd say if you can't beat them then join them. Have the whole thing painted well by a few of our better known artists. (Maser for example)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Looks like Ames maybe?
    Not someone I'm familiar with.

A sticker to say the van is privately owned might be an idea alright.

If you weren't with Van Tasks I'd say if you can't beat them then join them. Have the whole thing painted well by a few of our better known artists. (Maser for example)

You have your car done, yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Or kick their heads in and tell the little scrotes to go get a job

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks for the efforts CianRyan but seems a few lads isn't enough. Got attacked again :mad:

Can't even make out the tags!

That really sucks OP.
    I find the best thing for removing marker is white spirit, its not too aggressive on skin and won't damage the paintwork. Also works wonders on tar spatter.
    Give it a try, its great stuff.

You have your car done, yeah?

I've been playing with the idea of a daily that I just paint myself (as above) and then leave it to get at scratched as it wants, I just need the spare cash and to get the ball rolling on my project so as not to get distracted.

I love detailing but it gets a bit stressful over time, having a shiny and a scratchy just seems like the right idea. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭scottp68877

Don't really know what you could do to stop them but this stuff might come in handy. It's a graffiti remover.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000P0KNIE
    Seems to have good reviews and they say it leaves the original paint unharmed.

Advertisement