Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alternative Battery For 12v devices (dash cams etc)

Options
  • 01-12-2012 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I've a few dash cams installed and although they don't drain huge power, if you leave them plugged in for any long periods without using a vehicle, the battery will go flat. I know you can buy some power regulating device but I recall it being pricey enough and was thinking that you'd buy a 2nd battery for the same price.

I was wondering if there was any possibility of having a set up with two batteries where:

Battery 1) This is the regular Car Battery and will be connected to battery two
    Battery 2) This only ever gets its power from Battery 1 and only gets charged when the engine is running, so will never feed from battery 1 unless the car is running. This will eliminate the main battery (which starts the engine) from draining from use of such electronics while parked. If parked for long periods of time, the electronics will simply turn off due to low power and battery 2 will drain. The electronics will start once the engine is turned on so you'd never be without your dash cam while driving even if battery 2 has been dead a few days. Battery two could have numerous devices connected and would probably be best to be stored in the vehicle itself?

Is this possible at all and if so, would it be a complicated set up? What kind of battery would I need for battery two?

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Do you want the dash cams to record when you are away from the car? If so a second battery is a good idea - but it must be properly fixed in place so that it does not become a missile in the event of an accident. You would set up a charging circuit from the main battery using a relay so that the auxiliary battery is only connected to the main battery when the engine is running. The relay and cables need to be fairly substantial to carry a high charging current when a flat auxiliary battery is connected to a fully charged main battery.

If you don't need the cameras to run when you are away then just power them via an ignition switched relay so they are off unless the engine is running.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Maybe a small alarm battery wired up as the second battery, as the poster above says connect a relay which will charge the second battery when the engine is running. You'll pick up an alarm battery for €11 in most wholesalers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies. Yep, I'd like the cameras running while the engine is off, which I have been doing, but it drains the main battery a bit too much. When you say the cables will need to be fairly substantial, do you mean thickness wise (like jump lead cables) or something else in that it's asking for too much to be able to charge the aux battery from the other battery when the engine is running?

So my idea above IS possible? I know a decent auto electrician who should be able to sort it out for me anyway if so...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I haven't a clue how it's done, but I know it's possible.

We have a fleet of vans with 2 batteries, 2nd battery is under the passenger seat. They are also equipped with inverters to power laptops etc on 240v.

It's not been the most reliable set up, but we do suspect that they may be using something drawing a lot more power than a laptop on the inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

If you were to put a second battery in the boot that was joined to the main battery you would need a good length of battery cable. This is expensive enough. Plus you have the job of running the cable the length of the car which could involve removing a lot of trim.

Anyone who may of had installed a large sound system (when they were all the rage a few years ago) may be able to help you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Straight forward enough...

Grab a split charge kit form here:

http://www.rawcomponents.co.uk/split-charge-kits

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Grab a 70 amp relay for a few quid and wire in a split charge. I've done it before, I'll see if I can find a diagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

Check out any of the 4x4 overland supplier websites, they would have a lot of experience in dual battery systems, deep cycle batteries and wiring kits for overland trips.. They should stock everything you need. Unfortunately it isn't cheep if done properly

http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=2&Itemid=14

I haven't a clue about electrics in general so I think I'll just get that auto electrician on the job and get it done properly.

R.O.R., do you reckon they are being overused in the vans for more than laptops which is why they aren't working so well? If it was just powering a dash cam, would there be problems?

I'd be happy to keep the batteries in the cab of the vans under the passenger seats and twof the vans the battery is under the driver seat, the other 2 under the bonnet so just probably a case of trailing one in from there?

If I was to get the supplies ready for my auto electrician, including the batteries, would anyone know what I'd need for the job to be completed?

Thanks for all the help so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Yep, I'd like the cameras running while the engine is off, which I have been doing, but it drains the main battery a bit too much. When you say the cables will need to be fairly substantial, do you mean thickness wise (like jump lead cables) or something else in that it's asking for too much to be able to charge the aux battery from the other battery when the engine is running?

So my idea above IS possible? I know a decent auto electrician who should be able to sort it out for me anyway if so...

It is certainly possible, using the relay setup mentioned. If I was doing it myself, I would probably make up a voltage monitor so the aux battery supply cuts off when its voltage falls below a certain level, but the simple ignition controlled relay setup is simple enough to do.

Standard car lead acid batteries are not designed for deep discharge, more than 20% charge removed is not great for them, which is why they dont seem to last as long when powering invertors etc, as their capacity would indicate.
    They are designed for short, high current deliveries, for starting engines, and then as a power supply for powering electrical items, while being kept charged.

Fairly substantial cable that was mentioned, was in terms of thickness, measured in mm square here. It would`t have to be as heavy as jumpstart leads, 10 square flex would be more than adequate. Flex is used as its more resistant to vibration than standard electrical cable would be. It would be an idea to fuse the + cable as it leaves the main battery, with something like a 50 amp fuse, to protect the cable to the aux battery in case of a short circuit. This cable then goes through relay contacts, normally open, and this relay only closes when the ignition is on.

As you know an auto electrician, you should be sorted easy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Ask in the camping forum - leisure batteries and split charge relays are fitted to campervans. I did use a standard car battery in mine for convenience but a sealed deep cycle job shouldn't cost much more.

Ask in the camping forum - leisure batteries and split charge relays are fitted to campervans. I did use a standard car battery in mine for convenience but a sealed deep cycle job shouldn't cost much more.

Yea the deep cycle ones are much better suited to this type of task alright.

Best thing to do for me is probably just link the auto electrician to this thread. Found him through boards in the first place :) Thanks again everyone!

My auto electrician has linked me to these relays to buy: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-CAR-BIKE-12V-70A-5-PIN-CHANGEOVER-RELAY-SWICH-X-5-/400165310746?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item5d2bb6111a#ht_5019wt_754

Just wondering if anyone knows what cables I should get and any recommendations on a 500amp or so battery that would last a while and will be safe in the cab? I think I remember hearing something about batteries in cabs needing to have sealed tops so the acid can't come out?

Would these batteries suit for this?

The power consumption is stated here: http://dashcamtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Itronics-ITB-100HD-Specifications.png

(12v/0.12A)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ritar-RT12120EV-12v-12ah-EV-series-battery-BRAND-NEW-12M-RTB-warranty/180727344181?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=008&category=48619&cmd=ViewItem

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ritar-RT12180-Sealed-Lead-Acid-Battery-12v-18Ah-cell-/390338630094

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ritar-RT1290-Sealed-Lead-Acid-12V-9Ah-battery-cell-/390338629689

I'd like the camera to be able to record for at least 2 days after the engine turns off. I don't know if any of the above batteries would suit though? Seem ok price wise and shipping is fair too.

Would these batteries suit for this?

The power consumption is stated here: http://dashcamtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Itronics-ITB-100HD-Specifications.png

(12v/0.12A)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ritar-RT12120EV-12v-12ah-EV-series-battery-BRAND-NEW-12M-RTB-warranty/180727344181?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=008&category=48619&cmd=ViewItem

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ritar-RT12180-Sealed-Lead-Acid-Battery-12v-18Ah-cell-/390338630094

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ritar-RT1290-Sealed-Lead-Acid-12V-9Ah-battery-cell-/390338629689

I'd like the camera to be able to record for at least 2 days after the engine turns off. I don't know if any of the above batteries would suit though? Seem ok price wise and shipping is fair too.

The first one in the list is a deep cycle battery, which means they can usually be dicharged by 80%. It is a 12AH battery.

As your camera takes 0.12 amps, the battery in theory would power it for 100 hours.

If we take discharging the battery to 20% as the limit, this means 80 hours would be the limit of the camera use. As you are looking for 2 days use, that would be 48 hours and so only discharging the battery by 50%, which would be even better for the battery.

When I am doing similar with running items from batteries, I usually use a multimeter to see and confirm the exact current draw of the item, but if it is definitely 0.12 amps or less, then 48 hours use will use about 50% of that 12AH battery capacity.

Thanks a lot for that explanation robbie. I haven't a clue when it comes to amps etc so that helped a lot. I'll probably just order 4 of them so, have them shipped to parcel motel and down to me for €3.50 and hopefully get them EX VAT too so should cost me <€110 for the whole lot and then get these http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-CAR-BIKE-12V-70A-5-PIN-CHANGEOVER-RELAY-SWICH-X-5-/400165310746?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item5d2bb6111a#ht_5019wt_754 and I think all I need then is the cables but maybe the auto electrician has them so that will hopefully be everything for the job.

Just thought I'd post back here, but I'm looking for someone to finish this job for me. My regular auto electrician made a start but it's not working as planned (battery doesn't power the dash cam even after a few hours driving and being charged) and he isn't really getting back to me about finishing it.

Check out this thread where I'm looking for suggestions of an Auto Electrician: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83478513#post83478513 or reply here of course!

I finally had this done and it was set up and working perfect.... until....

The set up was Van - Alternator - Main battery - Aux Battery (Ritar here: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ritar-RT12120EV-12v-12ah-EV-series-battery-BRAND-NEW-12M-RTB-warranty/180727344181?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=008&category=48619&cmd=ViewItem ) - Dash camera. So the main battery was providing the charge to the ritar battery, with the main battery obviously being charged via the alternator. I had an auto electrician set all this up and it cost me a lot, but then I noticed smoke coming from the set up and one of the wires was really hot. The auto electrician got back onto me there and said he thinks it's because the ritar battery isn't big enough to take the 14 or so volts that the alternator is pushing out.

Is the battery I bought not capable of doing the job so and if not, would there be similar sized batteries that would be? I don't have space for a regular sized car battery which the auto electrician suggested so if I could get it in the same kind of size as the ritar above it would be great. I thought the RITAR was capable of the job :confused:

There might be the possibility, assuming there is an isolating relay in use for when the engine is off, that the aux battery running low on charge, and when the van is started, the discharged aux battery being directly connected to the fully charged main battery and alternator, causing too high a charge current flow into the aux one.

Some sort of charge controller might help. Even if no smoke etc was seen, if the aux battery is simply connected to the main one directly on engine start, with a low charge state, it probably wont last long, especially if it is a lot smaller than the main one.

Which wire was hot, and what size is it?

Does the aux battery have Max charge current written on it?

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot for the reply!

This is from the ebay page of the battery. It says recommended maximum charge is 3.6a? nothing about volts there? http://ebay.ups-direct.co.uk/public-pic/1wiRRKn_large.jpg

There's some more info here too: http://ebay.ups-direct.co.uk/public-pic/dzSZZ9B_large.jpg

I'm not sure which of the wires was hot but I think it may have only started happening once the aux batteries were flat. Not definite on that though. The wires are pretty small anyway.

Do you reckon I could get away with a charge controller while still allowing the camera to start up as soon as the ignition is on with a flat aux battery, or would the aux battery need to charge for maybe half an hour before the camera will have enough power to operate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

This is from the ebay page of the battery. It says recommended maximum charge is 3.6a? nothing about volts there? http://ebay.ups-direct.co.uk/public-pic/1wiRRKn_large.jpg

There's some more info here too: http://ebay.ups-direct.co.uk/public-pic/dzSZZ9B_large.jpg

I'm not sure which of the wires was hot but I think it may have only started happening once the aux batteries were flat. Not definite on that though. The wires are pretty small anyway.

Do you reckon I could get away with a charge controller while still allowing the camera to start up as soon as the ignition is on with a flat aux battery, or would the aux battery need to charge for maybe half an hour before the camera will have enough power to operate?

A big Can of worms is when the battery is flat some reason

I did not see any circuit diagram for this set up

the big thing with cars is really AMPS
    Amps are simple enough the small lights on cars are about 1/2 amp
    car battery of 40 amp will run this lamp for ~80 hours eg 40/0.5= ~80
    head lights are about ten amps the two of them so 40 amp battery will mathematically run the head lights for 4 hours ( in reality is less than 1 hour ) as the load is so large it like average human male to carry 100 kilos it wrecks the whole system

Car batteries under very heavy loads heat up and throw away lots of energy as heat much as over burdened human will do

Car flooded acid batteries are best when they have small loads like max ~4 amps load on ~40 amp car battery for short periods like ~2 hours max so 80% the battery power remains behind

The problem is the average medium sized car car has main battery of lead acid flooded type approx ~40 to 60 amps ( can be sealed lead acid SLA flooded acid type) which often reaches full charge at about ~13.5 to ~14 volts

The second battery is what is called a SLA sealed lead acid but critically AGM acid glass mat and it has some important ant differences as it often fully charged at lowwer voltage rates ~13 to ~13.5 volts

With this type of set up in car where voltage spikes come from car generators when both batteries are fully charged these small differences in voltages probably wont show up as issues

When the two batteries are full the alternator wont detect that one battery is very small compared to the other as it will supply very little power to each battery

The fun starts when one battery is much lower voltage and is in this case a lowwer capacity.

The smaller battery recommended maxim charge rate is ~3.5 amps
    (in realty these AGM batteries are real robust and can take much more than that for short periods but does reduce life times a tad )

When the normal car with ~40 amp battery starts up if the battery is flat say 10 volts the normal recommended charge rate for the flooded acid type is ~10% of capacity or 4 amp rate .To stuff into a battery at ~4 amps to reach full charge of 14 volts the alternator must produce more voltage than the battery to push the power into the NOMINAL ~12 volt battery.The alternation power source is ~18 volts ( at full speed can be as low as 16 volts on tick over ) and that will is higher than 12 volts so power goes to the lower power source 12 volts
    (battery at ~12 volts is empty and ~14 volts is full and ~10 volts is flat. The car battery with engine off under heavy loads like all lights on wipers on aircon on and radio will drop to down ~12 volts if its fully charged and reads ~14 volts at rest )

We can see that large voltage swings are the norm in the system so voltage isn't a exact thing it can float from ~11 to ~16 volts safely .

If the car battery is broken the full 18 volts hits the headlights with 50% more power and the head light bulbs blow very frequently

If the car battery ~40 amps is flat the 18 volt alternator will be much higher power than ~10 volt battery and power from the alternator will rush to the flat battery .
    As the battery fill up the heat Resistance from battery will stop the power entering the battery so fast .
    When the battery is ~14 volts the heat resistance will completely stop the 18 volts entering the battery .
    It similar to bike pump as the Tyre fills with air it get harder to pump air into the very full bike Tyre but the early part of filling the empty bike Tyre goes quickly

Now for practical real world stuff the alternator can supply ~35 amps of power way more than the ~4 amps the battery is supposed to take .
    What happens is the flat car battery will soak up the full 35 amps of the power the alternator supplies for some few minutes .
    The voltage will rise to ~12 volts .At that time the instead to be ~18 volts and ~35 amp pumping into ~10 volts the extra voltage ~12 volts will block and reduce the ability to pump power into the battery so it will be more like ~12 volts and ~10 amps going in .
    Later about half hour when the voltage gets to ~13 volts the Resistance will increase and it will be more like ~13 volts and ~5 amps charging probably
    ~5 amps is close to recommended ~4 amps

It will then as the voltage creeps up to ~14 volts slow down a lot until finally after two hours total the battery is full at ~14 volts and the charging from alternator will be 18 volts and 0 amps entering the battery . The difference from 18 volts to 14 volts isn't enough pressure or difference to stuff any power into the battery and so charging is effectively stopped

The graph if one existed would show the more the voltage goes up in the recharging the less amps can go into battery until eventually when full no amps go in. It means often that the flat battery t is ~80% full in the first hour of charging and the second hour will only put in the battery the remaining 20 %

The average amps that went in each hour was ~20 amps ~4 times more than the recommended rate .The flooded acid batteries can take this abuse a few times but run your battery down 20 times in row and the flooded acid battery will be lead scrap .

The important thing to see is that for some few minutes when the battery is totally flat the battery was getting ~9 times the recommend charge rate of ~4 amps it was getting some ~35 amps

If the flooded acid flat battery was a ~20 amp battery it would then be getting some ~36 times more than recommended rate as the recommended 10% rate charge rate for that would be ~2 amps

If the flooded acid flat battery was a ~12 amp battery the battery would be getting some ~50 times the recommend charge rate for a flooded acid of 10% only ~1.2 amps

In this case we have a AGM battery that can accept instead of the flooded acid version 1.2 amps it can take ~3,5 amps about ~25% of capacity (for short periods )

If we hit this AGM battery if it ~10 volts and flat with 35 amps from a alternator that is ~10 times it recommended charging rate
    Its gonna be problem for certain parts and battery life and its usually the wires that suffer .
    As the battery fills up quickly the voltage will rise quickly and soon the amps hitting the AGM battery will drop to more like ~4 amps closer to recommended rates

The AGM batteries ability to soak up incredibly high charge rates for short periods is what protects it from the many baboons that practice the dark art of adding extra batteries to cars

If you add extra battery to the car like this and when the car stops and the design is all batteries stop a simple light weight cable able to take a few amps will be enough to keep the system to run for years without problems as the car alternator will have two batteries similar voltage always full and rarely putting more than a few amps back into batteries.
    That would be what most second battery use would work at the second battery to run some light or radio for a hour or two no big deal .
    When the car starts again the 12 amp battery might have used 20% of its power some 2.4 amps and the alternator will supply ~5 amps for a few minutes and very quickly that will be less than 1 amp charge rate for a 1/2 hour or hour and its full again

The fun starts of the 12 volt AGM battery is flat or empty and the alternator starts to send some ~20 to ~35 amps at this battery
    If its typical set up with ~20 amp wire everthing is gonna heat up .
    The battery cant take in 20 to 30 amps probably takes in 10 amps tops .The other extra amps start to have to find a way to get lost so they create heat in the battery plates and if that isn't enough they create heat in the wires.
    When things heat up they lose the power as heat .
    Now often this heat up time span isn't that long and the battery charges up and the wires and battery cool down and nobody is the wiser .

However if there some extra issue that takes longer to get power into AGM battery the plastic on the wires often start to melt and smoke .
    Heated up enough and the story could well will turn into a fire and often that fire will not be covered by fire insurance as it will be classed as act of baboon or similar

Solutions are many

some are real stupid simple take the second battery out of the car plug it into charger and charge it up then the alternator will see two full batteries and not supply much amps and no heating

Create some type of resistor in the circuit to soak up the extra amps while battery is charging .Risks then making alternator run longer time with more amps and making alternator hot and burning out alternator .The alternator can only give ~35 amps for short periods it is only meant to dish out ~12 amps continuous in cooler climates and less in warm climates

Supply a separate independent battery to the Camera .If you have two of these batteries then put one on charge in the house and the other on the camera in the car

Alternatively get a low power 220 volt AC adapt or for the cigarette lighter

Buy with the 12 volt AGM battery a 220 volt plug in the wall charger .Start up the car switch on the AC power plug in the wall charger connect it to 12volt AGM battery and charge it up as you drive
    If the AGM battery is very flat the system will still only allow a few amps to recharge it so it wont risk to recharge very fast . This system will work if you do lots of long journeys and battery gets full charge often .This system will fall down if there is lots of short journeys and will require extra charging back at home or adding in second battery at home recharging. In summer adding a small solar panel of 0.1 amp to the AGM battery might sort that problem out

More complex and expensive is to change the wires to the battery to massive wires able to take 35 amps and more because the car battery can also help to charge as the 14 volts from it will want to go into the lower 10 volt smaller battery so possibly more than 35 amps is heading to the small AGM battery .It will require extra circuits to detect the high amps shut everything down .If the circuits fail then your depending on the sheer size of wires to not allow them to become hot enough to melt the plastic .In summer time this might not be enough and fire will become the risk.
    Your also often going to need electronic components like diodes which allow electricity to flow only one direction .These electronic diodes often take away voltages and the loss of voltage can mean longer times to charge up but worse can mean the battery never reaches full charge stopping at 80% charge

Alternatively there can be combination systems with temperature or amp flow sensors but that getting very complex

My preference i would be to keep it simple stupid and use the two AGM battery with two charger trick and the AC electric unit in the car .Then its not really part of the car wiring system its accessory like a car cooling fan and like all good accessory to the crime if the car caught fire and was destroyed the blame would be on the OEMS of the components and not on some uninsured baboon electronic head in the street who wired it for you

yes from a electric efficiency point of view increasing 12 volts to 220 and then bringing it back down to 12 volts to charge a battery is brain dead instead to supply 2 amps needed you now need 4 amps to the same work as the losses are large but its pretty baboon proof :D

If money isn't a problem then you need to make all the electronic circuit solutions that can limit the power to the AGM to max at 7 amps for a few minutes and then to stay below 3.5 amps after that .

The two battery solution has the advantage you can go take the battery out when its 50% empty if it parked for few weeks just rotate them in every couple days .
    BALL PARK figure
    A battery that is only used partially like when it drops to 80% capacity is recharged will return 1000 cycles
    If the batteries in more harsh use never go below 50% capacity continual use they will return some ~500 cycle life or 1000 days use .Two of them will return ~2000 days use .
    If there is only one battery always flattened say 80% used every time it will return 200 cycles at say three day to the cycles that 600 days use or with replacing second a 1200 days . (In warm countries with larger solar panels that could work well as the one battery would probably never go below 50%)

The ball park rule for AGM battery WHEN UNDER LOAD eg starp a 20 to 50 watts light load across it and measure the voltage under load .
    If the voltage reading is 13 volts then it is full .If the reading is 12 volts its empty .If it 12.5 volts it half full
    easy

Good luck

Yea sounds like a high current into the discharged aux batteries when they are paralleled with the fully charged main battery when the relay closes to parallel them. Even if the supply wiring was not showing signs of overloading, the aux battery itself wont last long probably, as in charge cycles.

Does the camera need to work from the aux battery when the engine is off, and stay on while the engine is started, without interruption?

Wow derry, that is some reply!! What can I say? That's probably one of the most detailed and thorough replies I've ever received in my whole 15,000 posts on boards :D Thanks a lot for all the info, it took me about 2 hours to get through the whole thing between doing different things on the computer, I've a better understanding on how it's working now for sure, but still not sure what the best option is to take.
    • Most important of course is to have no risk of fire, at all.
    • Next is to have camera constantly running while vehicle in use
    • Next is to not have to do anything in order to have the camera running while vehicle in use. Anything such as having to charge a second battery at home and connect it before I start a journey will definitely not work. I just know I won't have time for that and especially if somebody else will be driving the vans. I just want the vans to be able to sit up and not have their main battery drained (other than regular non usage draining) and then when they are needed to be driven, they can be driven without any messing about. Even plugging something in before the journey starts and having to plug it out once the ignition is off is too much effort. It just won't be done as it's supposed to be so I can't see it working :(
    • Next is to have camera running for some time after engine turned off

between the batteries, wires no show auto electrician and the guy who hooked it up last which was working fine until the discharge of the aux battery, I've spent over €400. That kind of money just to have the cameras rolling when the ignition is off is A LOT! I can't really justify spending much more on it. What kind of price are we talking to get things the way I want them above?

Bruthal, if there's a slight interruption between off and on I don't mind, like a minute or so, I wouldn't like the van to be driving much longer without the camera rolling though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

I like to post for all the forum as they sometimes get my car out of the dung heap so like to return the favor

I am 5 months of the year on the road in Europe in summer doing lots of mileage and camping or similar as i go along This means the car is my communications center so for example i pull up to macdonalds car parks keep engine on to run the system and air con in hot countries and find the free Wi Fi service and surf the net with my computer whatever is needed

I run lots of stuff in my car i am like small esb with double adapters electric plugs and extension blocks with 5 connections driving my two laptops my 19 inch large screen for computer three mobiles my two camera my 12 volt coffee water heater and anything else that needs charging all on the passenger seat so the few rare passengers have to go in the back seat . Yes there has been a few smoking events in the beginning until i sorted it all out but the car is old 20 years old with no fire insurance on third party so not the end of the world for me if it goes up.I often lock the car with engine running in large open shopping car parks to keep things charging keep the air con on so car is cool when i get back as i only use one large primary car battery 70 amp to run my 2 liter diesel car Toyota Carina as it too much trouble costs more than i like to spend to do the secondary battery systems LOL

I had the secondary battery solution for year in the passenger well using jump cables as the connector but reguired me to disconnect manulay the jump cables and if I forgot the two batteries were run down so gave up on the solution as the marine boat switch solution needed to much work to the already very cluttered dash board with all sorts of extra lighting connected in

OK van is different in some small ways

One thing important to know is many vans have large alternator typically 65 amps so if you get large charging event like empty battery getting recharged a lot of amps and lot of heat can go to the wires .Doubling the amps will approximately quadruple the heating in wires so mistakes in the system can often lead to more expensive melt downs usually burning out expensive alternators or worse setting fire to the Van .
    So guys that why I tend to prefer to avoid the solutions that are accessories as it is very hard to design cheaply effective solutions for when the secondary battery is empty #
    The ability to cool the system for secondary battery is dependent on clever often expensive electronics or good user knowledge for individual there is KISS to solve these problems like connecting on trickle battery charger to bring secondary battery up to full charge to balance the charges so both batteries are now fully charged .
    Like i said when the two batteries are fully charged the circuit is easy and no problems but if one or worse both batteries are flat the melt down event can take place . MUlti car or van users the system has be baboon proof and that is difficult unless you use accessories route of the cigarette lighter or similar

If anybody every want to have second battery directly connected to the primary main battery and alternator the best cable to use is the stuff they use for jump starting the car .Also if they go into a marine boat shop who often have second battery solutions of large sizes with large alternators there exists a large switch with suitable dash boards where both batteries can be charged or the main battery alone can be charged and the secondary battery can be isolated to protect the main battery ( not good solution for using if your loaning out your car or getting many drivers to use at requires knowledge of the correct manual switching )

If it was me i would probably go the KISS route again
    I would opt to put a larger AGM battery 20 or 40 amp hour or if needed a larger battery like a 60 to 100 amp i would then go for deep cycle or marine battery in place possibly probably under the seat .The size of battery is depending on your wait time needs
    I would get a suitable 220volt AC convertor best is one that says more than 75 watts power and often the 150 watts versions are cheaper often about 50 euros in Aldi/lidl or in electronic shops ( a van can easily drive a 300 watt version but small cars might have problems but 500 watts is probably over kill and possibly causing other problems with heat dissipation ).
    Then rather than plug it into the cigaret lighter I would hard wire solder or similar it into the wires to cigarette lighter easy for most electrical guy to do .
    (Pay attention to the fuses in the cigarette lighter they can vary from 10 amps to 30 amps with many in larger cars about ~15 amps . A 15 amp fuse can give ~20 amps for short periods before blowing .If the fuses are 10 amps might be better idea to run 20 amp cable to battery instead and put in 20 amps fuse to protect the 220 AC adapter running a ~15 amp charger as you need a few amps head room for the 220 AC charger )
    The tricky bit is you need to ensure that when ignition is turned off the cigaret lighter isn't getting power to keep the 220 AC unit running as that would pull down the power of the main battery .Luckly with most cars and vans these cigaret lighter units switch off automatically when the ignition is stopped ( some don't so you got to check that the 220 AC unit switches off when engine is shut down).
    Then get the suitable battery mains charger to charge battery plug it into the 220volt AC unit and to ensure it cant be unplugged so solder the three pin plug permanently in place one pin the earth pin soldered should be enough or glue or strong duck tape whatever . Its important for the 220 AC unit to get air to keep cool and the larger 150 watts versions will tend to less hot than smaller 75 watt versions In vans therer is often gobs of space under the dash or under the seat where the unit can be strapped into so it is hidden away still gets lots of air to cool and be out of the way from getting kicked by passengers feet and legs so forth .If that is the case duck tape might be enough to keep the plug permanently in place but dont wrap tons of duck tape the machine needs its metal cooling fins and air holes to lose heat it can create ( less of a problem in colder Ireland) If its really away For the positive and negative to battery solder or bolt it on so it cant be undone .
    Now the wait time is the deciding factor is the average wait three days or five days or two weeks .
    We can assume weekends will be probably be the guts of 2,5 days or 24x 2.5 = 60 hours .The camera will use about ~0.12 amp better to say ~0.15 for losses in 60 hour that is ~ 60 x ~0.15 = ~9 amps .This means the 12 amp battery will be discharged to 75% every weekend which would be fairly harsh regime for lead AGM batteries as there is ~52 weekend in year
    For head room 50% is better so 18 amp AGM battery would be 50% down over weekend .
    This solution suggests that the vans would be driven most all the day during the week and the reserve battery would be kept topped up.
    However if we dealing with situation where rest times tended to be average of one week a larger battery would be needed
    One week 7 days by 0.15 equals = 170 hours and to require minimum 26 amp hour preferably 50 amp hour
    For price reasons it often cheaper to get 70 amp deep cycle marine battery for this than to AGM 50 amp.
    A 70 amp deep cycle marine battery will cost about €150 sometimes less but a 50 amp AGM will cost about 200 upwards as they are very expensive after 20 amp sizes .Its often cheaper to get three 18 amp AGM than to buy one ~50 amp AGM .A electricain can strap together a two or three 18 amp AGM in Parrnell no problem but the charger needs to be suitable to charge the the bigger unit so can get tad messy if your not clued in .
    A 70 amp deep cycle battery can easily run for one week and be less than 50% empty ensuring good life cycles and its easy to buy good charger of 15 to 25 amps to charge it up .Larger charger costs can be larger some €150 to 200 euros .Larger 15 to 25 amp car type chargers also need air to keep them cool and tend to be car battery sized
    This will give lots of head room if the majority of the wait times are one week the battery will still be more than half full after one week .If the odd time the wait time was longer it would take ~460 hour to be run down or 19 days

within these rough rules it would be pretty plug and play and fire and forget
    If time spans were expected to exceed these times frequently that would really be best to wire up electric extension leads that could connect to the battery chargers and keep them topped up preferably permanently while waiting or at least one day every week or so .There is no limit to the size of battery and chargers you can put in to run the cameras in the van for even one year
    but half the van would be a battery and the van would need to travel for 24 once year to recharge the batteries

Suitable solar panels can keep a 70 amp battery topped up even in Ireland if van never moved for one year but the solar panel would be big nearly half a square meter and where to put it on van roof would be issues but mostly solar panels are mad money when a electric extension cord is fairly cheap and they sell them in water proof versions .If the yard has trucks that would crush the extension cables make shallow trench put inside wavin and concrete over or run across the yard on suitable high poles above largest trucks and vans and have then fixed into the ground well to survive the strong Irish wind .
    If non of that is possible a good Honda 1000 watt or similar high quality petrol generator can be dragged out to the van and hooked in to charge up the camera battery after it has been there a week or so .8 hours running at about 1 liter an hour costing 12 euros will charge the battery up (probably less more like 5 hours and 6 euros)
    the smaller cheaper solar panel wont be able to keep the battery fully charged but they could extend the time some extra days so instead of 450 hours on 70 amp battery a 10 watt or might add extra day the time to 25 days winter and 35 days summer . A 10 watt solar panel will be average of 5 watts or 0.5 amp in midday in Ireland at noon summer and less in the morning and late in the day average of ~0.08 amp in 24 hours in winter or ~0.1 in summer

the big technical issue is if the average wait time was one week and for some reason there was some exceptional episode the van didn't go for three months 90 day the deep cycle would be flattened after some 20 days with no solar panel and 30 day with solar panel of 10 watts meaning the battery would be 60 to 70 days flattened to zero volts .That could wreck most battery's even the AGM types one month left flat and idle with load on it would sulfate the plates and unlikely the battery will ever charge again .
    It would require a suitable solution of recharging the battery with adding on extra large solar panel supplying a electric lead extension or running the vans motor in static for few hour every week to keep extra battery protected .
    If a non solar panel version was left for 30 days and the battery has run out after 20 days it would reduce the life span of the battery the being empty for ten days .Everything after 1 days with empty battery is always bad with anything exceeding 10 days becoming high risk regions to wreck the battery for good
    There exists electronic systems that can switch off the camera or battery to protect battery if the voltage get too,low like 11 volts
    Possibly the camera has fail safe to switch off when voltage is too low protecting the van battery .If not then there might exist add on for camera that does this but if they exceed the price of new battery not sure if they will be worth it
    simple switch on van when battery is empty is cheapest solution but easily forgotten chore .

It better to have some idea the wait times average and the expected occasional longest times to figure the real world results
    Also usefull to know life span of vans is it to be year or couple year s.for many years the bigger battery solutions are better .For one or two years smaller batteries worked harder are probably better and give the batteries shorter life spans

Derry

Wow derry, that is some reply!! What can I say? That's probably one of the most detailed and thorough replies I've ever received in my whole 15,000 posts on boards :D Thanks a lot for all the info, it took me about 2 hours to get through the whole thing between doing different things on the computer, I've a better understanding on how it's working now for sure, but still not sure what the best option is to take.
    • Most important of course is to have no risk of fire, at all.
    • Next is to have camera constantly running while vehicle in use
    • Next is to not have to do anything in order to have the camera running while vehicle in use. Anything such as having to charge a second battery at home and connect it before I start a journey will definitely not work. I just know I won't have time for that and especially if somebody else will be driving the vans. I just want the vans to be able to sit up and not have their main battery drained (other than regular non usage draining) and then when they are needed to be driven, they can be driven without any messing about. Even plugging something in before the journey starts and having to plug it out once the ignition is off is too much effort. It just won't be done as it's supposed to be so I can't see it working :(
    • Next is to have camera running for some time after engine turned off

between the batteries, wires no show auto electrician and the guy who hooked it up last which was working fine until the discharge of the aux battery, I've spent over €400. That kind of money just to have the cameras rolling when the ignition is off is A LOT! I can't really justify spending much more on it. What kind of price are we talking to get things the way I want them above?

Bruthal, if there's a slight interruption between off and on I don't mind, like a minute or so, I wouldn't like the van to be driving much longer without the camera rolling though.

How long do you need the camera to work after the van engine is turned off?

Wow, thanks again Derry, I'm almost falling asleep here so don't have time to read and reply to all that at the moment but will tomorrow.

Bruthal, even if it was only a day, I'd be happy to settle for that if it wasn't going to cost me anymore and just worked as I wanted..

derry wrote: »
    More complex and expensive is to change the wires to the battery to massive wires able to take 35 amps and more because the car battery can also help to charge as the 14 volts from it will want to go into the lower 10 volt smaller battery so possibly more than 35 amps is heading to the small AGM battery

The reality is, both the main battery and aux battery will be locked in parallel with each other when the alternator is charging them. With both in parallel, the voltages on both batteries will be the same apart from small volt drop on the linking wires (negligible), and so for the alternator, it will be like a single battery with cells out of balance with each other, and charging each other.

So for example, if the large van battery was at 13.5v, it would pull the discharged and smaller aux battery up close to that voltage, and so the alternator would not be supplying much more current to the aux battery than if the aux was naturally at 13.5v. But the main battery would be supplying a fair current to the aux, as if it was a bad cell in one single battery, since they are now batteries in parallel.

The alternator has a rectification and regulator circuit, I wouldnt think it would go much over 14 volts or slightly above.

If a resistor was used to control the charge to the aux battery, it would dissipate heat at I^2 x R, which would be high at even low currents.

Wiring to carry 35 amps would not be massive. 6 square flex would easily carry that. That is a bit bigger than the wiring to power 5 amp headlamp bulbs alright, but a lot smaller than the starter motor cables.

Bruthal, even if it was only a day, I'd be happy to settle for that if it wasn't going to cost me anymore and just worked as I wanted..

Well the reason I ask is, if you used a timer circuit to switch off the camera after maybe 30 hours, or a voltage sensor to cut it off after a certain discharge voltage is reached by the secondary battery, it would prevent over discharge, and so also prevent high charging currents when the van is started.

It would be better if the secondary battery was the same capacity, or close to capacity of the primary too.

What` s the longest the camera has been left running on the aux battery without any charging?

• Advertisement

Thanks again, I haven't had it hooked up long enough to be able to test that properly so haven't a clue how long it would last. If a voltage meter cut off was a simple and cheap solution that could be an idea, or a timer even set to 24 hours or so. Just something that would give me some recording time once the ignition is off and won't wreck the batteries after a few months or cause and risk of fire.

Advertisement