Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

fredgillis wrote: »
    what cars should i be on the look out for,
    looking for something that i could fix up, drive for a while and sell on,
    some that not lose value

is there particular cars out there that i should try and concentrate more on finding and those that should be avoided

The minute you bring home a car that needs "fixing up" ..you're losing money....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Why are you starting another thread asking the same question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

what cars should i be on the look out for,
    looking for something that i could fix up, drive for a while and sell on,
    some that not lose value

is there particular cars out there that i should try and concentrate more on finding and those that should be avoided

If you have very good metal fabrication skills, and are very good at welding light metal bodywork, and can spray paint to an acceptable level you may make money or at least not lose money. If you are lacking in any of the above, forget it.

Most classic car enthusiasts are in it for the love of the cars.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

pablo128 wrote: »
    If you have very good metal fabrication skills, and are very good at welding light metal bodywork, and can spray paint to an acceptable level you may make money or at least not lose money. If you are lacking in any of the above, forget it.

Most classic car enthusiasts are in it for the love of the cars.

And then you have to be able to pick the right car to invest all these skills, and money, and time into..

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fredgillis

on the look out now for a toyota supra, twin turbo if anyone can help me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

Medical help or otherwise ..... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Did you check how much insurance would be, if you can get any at all?

Don't want to sound like a prick here, but you seem to be running around like a headless chicken. Stop for a minute and think about what you want to accomplish here and what your skills are (or can be) and take it from there.

If you just want to make a bit of money on the side, I'd suggest you look elsewhere or get a second job. If it is a new hobby you want to explore, go for it, but beware it won't make you any money. If you are really good and / or lucky it won't cost you much or anything at all apart from lots of your time

Thing is, Dades is right. The OP doesn't have any love for classics.

TBH I like the idea of buying classics, maybe doing a little work to them, drive for a year or so and make a profit when i sell it again

unkel wrote: »
    Did you check how much insurance would be, if you can get any at all?

Don't want to sound like a prick here, but you seem to be running around like a headless chicken. Stop for a minute and think about what you want to accomplish here and what your skills are (or can be) and take it from there.

If you just want to make a bit of money on the side, I'd suggest you look elsewhere or get a second job. If it is a new hobby you want to explore, go for it, but beware it won't make you any money. If you are really good and / or lucky it won't cost you much or anything at all apart from lots of your time

I got trade insurance so no worries and you are fine, I like frank advice and do take it on board. I'm just a little excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

TBH I like the idea of buying classics, maybe doing a little work to them, drive for a year or so and make a profit when i sell it again

Well then, fair enough. As others have pointed out, it's not a route to make money, easy or otherwise. Buy a classic you like, and if in a year or so you make money on it, then good luck to you. Just don't be holding out that you WILL make money on it.

• Advertisement

What skills have you got that can aid you in your endeavvours??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

a very particular set of skills, skills he have acquired over a very long career.
    he will find your car and he will fix it for you.
    :D

(PS. its been a long weekend)
    kadman wrote: »

none really but was watching Goblin Works Garage there and they bought a supra, modified it a bit and got 27,500 stg for it

so what you guys think of this please
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/toyota-supra/23694216

also the supra the GWG done up was the newer model 1995 i think

none really but was watching Goblin Works Garage there and they bought a supra, modified it a bit and got 27,500 stg for it

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt until now, but it looks like you're just trolling.

You have no skills at all, welding,bodywork, electrical, or mechanical.

How are you going to buy the RIGHT car, and then do the necessary, sell it and make money. I'd say the whole forum would like that secret.

I know many guys, me included, with those skills, would find it impossible to make money at this type of work.

I call foul, I think you are winding us up:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

Goblin Works Garage....no more needs to be said.

You have no skills at all, welding,bodywork, electrical, or mechanical.

How are you going to buy the RIGHT car, and then do the necessary, sell it and make money. I'd say the whole forum would like that secret.

I know many guys, me included, with those skills, would find it impossible to make money at this type of work.

I call foul, I think you are winding us up:)

I can do general welding and bodywork and my friend is an auto electrician, i'm no pro more DIY guy.
    I am genuinely interested in buying something good, drive it for a while and sell it, i hope to make a profit but would not want to lose money on it

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt until now, but it looks like you're just trolling.

I'm not, was watching that yesterday and they modified a supra and got 27500 stg for it, surely if you buy the right car and do something different to it you can make some money

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-...supra/23694216

Genuinely interested in something like this but not sure, I looked on UK websites and they are all different prices and very few to compare them too here

• Advertisement

I can do general welding and bodywork and my friend is an auto electrician, i'm no pro more DIY guy.
    I am genuinely interested in buying something good, drive it for a while and sell it, i hope to make a profit but would not want to lose money on it

Now you've gone from no skills, to bodywork and welding in a couple of posts.:D

Sounds like a windup to me.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Like I said in my post on the first page, go and buy an MG, like this one perhaps:

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mgb-gt/24046008

Buy a cheap ok ish one, do it up a bit, drive it for a while, enjoy it, sell it on, you'll be the real life Mike Brewer, simples!

No point in going round and round in circles on here,

Popular car, parts are easy to get, they're always in demand, I think you should by it

And keep us posted on progress obviously ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm not, was watching that yesterday and they modified a supra and got 27500 stg for it, surely if you buy the right car and do something different to it you can make some money
    If this isn't a windup.... In essence you have zero clue of the Irish market. The UK market is very different, some models are more popular there and some less and the size of the market is many times larger, so comparisons are pointless. Never mind it's a very different insurance landscape. Some cars are "dirt cheap" here because they're uninsurable. You *might* have trade insurance, but your buyers won't. For someone apparently working in the trade you seem even more clueless than you ought to be.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Now you've gone from no skills, to bodywork and welding in a couple of posts.:D

Sounds like a windup to me.:P

i'm no pro at either but can do bit of welding and bodywork, any eejit can do that and i'm genuine about buying a classic car and will post it up here when i do get one suitable.

Wibbs wrote: »
    If this isn't a windup.... In essence you have zero clue of the Irish market. The UK market is very different, some models are more popular there and some less and the size of the market is many times larger, so comparisons are pointless. Never mind it's a very different insurance landscape. Some cars are "dirt cheap" here because they're uninsurable. You *might* have trade insurance, but your buyers won't. For someone apparently working in the trade you seem even more clueless than you ought to be.

TBH, I hoped to buy here cheap and maybe sell on The UK market for a profit,
    I buy and sell fresh cars like passats, kia, fords etc and completely different to classics and I admit I know very little about them.

Just this morning I was offered am nissan zx 300 twin turbo in England for 2800 in good condition, auto box, not sure if its good buy or not

but i appreciate all comments from everyone

TBH, I hoped to buy here cheap and maybe sell on The UK market for a profit

Yeah. Now we've seen it all :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Just this morning I was offered am nissan zx 300 twin turbo in England for 2800 in good condition, auto box, not sure if its good buy or not
    I would have thought that's about the money for an auto and if it's actually in good condition. Then you'd have to find a buyer here. There would be few of them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Yeah. Now we've seen it all :rolleyes:
    Funny enough U a few years ago you could have done that with a few more recent "classics", when the insurance premiums spiked to the point of daft and folks moved on from that scene into RWD German iron. Or grew up. :D Particularly with, but not just, the more powerful JDM import stuff. You couldn't give them away here, but the UK market was still buoyant. I pointed a few British lads on UK forums to the Irish classifieds at the time and they were pleasantly surprised even shocked at the value they could get. EG around 2012 one lad found a Renault Clio Williams here for 2500 euros, when even fairly rough ones were going for over twice that in the UK.

That market has contracted to pretty much nothing since then and the supply has all but dried up anyway. What's left is either being hung onto, utter dirt, or overpriced and never selling. EG this 300zx as mentioned. Lovely car, most certainly not dirt, but unless the chap falls into a meadow of four leafed clovers he's got zero hope of anything approaching that price.

Oh I agree. During the recession a lot of good classic cars went back to the UK. And I know something similar happened to a lot of Japanese young timers too. The market for them here was mostly younger lads, but they no longer could get any form of insurance. Not so sure if there's still money in that now though :D

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    I would have thought that's about the money for an auto and if it's actually in good condition. Then you'd have to find a buyer here. There would be few of them.
    why are auto not as popular as manuals? them nissan 300 zx is a stunning car

people talk about guys not being able to get insurance etc here in Ireland but they are asking enough for them

Advertisement