Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fredgillis

I’ve a liking for the starlets.you would pick them up fairly handy.thats the fwd ones now from the boxy upwards.
    You’d want big money to get a clean rwd starlet these days.

look at the price of a toyota twin cam at the minute

madness and a plain jane of a yoke too

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

fredgillis wrote: »
    i'm no pro at either but can do bit of welding and bodywork, any eejit can do that and i'm genuine about buying a classic car and will post it up here when i do get one suitable.

Dont agree...............eejit welding and bodywork welding is different as chalk and cheese.

Still convinced its a windup:p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

why are auto not as popular as manuals?
    If you have to ask a question like that you have no clue of the market. Whatever about the increasing interest in modern automatics in new cars, nobody outside of America(or classic Mercs and the like) wants an old style autobox in a car like that.
    people talk about guys not being able to get insurance etc here in Ireland but they are asking enough for them
    And they're quite simply not selling at those prices. If you look at ads for those type of cars the number of days, even months they're up should tell you that. That Donedeal 300ZX I linked, nice car, manual, some recent and expensive work done on it, probably needs a bit of a small tidy up to make it "mint", but he's asking over double the price of a similar car in the UK. Which aren't exactly flying off the shelves over there either. Very popular market once, very niche market today.
    look at the price of a toyota twin cam at the minute

madness and a plain jane of a yoke too
    With a ton of local history, particularly in the North and loads of options for upgrades and are popular in other markets too and there are few enough of them left. Demand plus relative rarity plus a good aftermarket parts supply, plus old enough for classic tax/insurance equals value.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

Well, apparently any eejit can do a bit of welding and bodywork....

This thread is like a bad thriller movie where, despite knowing that it's a dire movie, you feel compelled to keep watching it to see if it can get any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

Just sitting here wondering who the bigger eejit is, the OP or the guy who buys from the OP!

Let him on and let him grow up!

• Advertisement

w124man wrote: »
    Just sitting here wondering who the bigger eejit is, the OP or the guy who buys from the OP!

Let him on and let him grow up!

Or us guys that keep feeding this:eek::eek::P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

kadman wrote: »
    Or us guys that keep feeding this:eek::eek::P
    Maybe, though a few years back I was over having a cuppa with my mechanic and there was a young bloke in the car trade there and he was buying and selling in a small way and successfully enough, but started to ask about flipping classics for fun and profit(there were a couple of 70's yokes in for servicing) and he was asking very similar questions, with a similar lack of knowledge about what was involved. Discovery channel car "shows" that do so called rebuilds in a week doesn't help the perceptions of many.

Plus of the two classics that were in the garage that day, one was a nice solid car owned by a chap who had some knowledge and took good advice, the other was a flashily painted heap of potential bills held together with faith and filler. The joke is the heap was bought by a guy with more money than sense well over what its value was(even if it had been a better example). Against the advice of others too. He just wanted it, but it was beginning to dawn on him the (not so)mobile money pit it was.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭irshmerc

Ferrari 275 GT, that's the kiddy ya wanna buy, trash the arse off it round the lanes for a while then flog it on for a few bobs profit...simples

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

One way of making money would be to buy a few 25 year old v8's for a few hundred each and put them in a shed for 5 years. You might actually make something on them.

Wibbs wrote: »
    If you have to ask a question like that you have no clue of the market. Whatever about the increasing interest in modern automatics in new cars, nobody outside of America(or classic Mercs and the like) wants an old style autobox in a car like that.

And they're quite simply not selling at those prices. If you look at ads for those type of cars the number of days, even months they're up should tell you that. That Donedeal 300ZX I linked, nice car, manual, some recent and expensive work done on it, probably needs a bit of a small tidy up to make it "mint", but he's asking over double the price of a similar car in the UK. Which aren't exactly flying off the shelves over there either. Very popular market once, very niche market today.

With a ton of local history, particularly in the North and loads of options for upgrades and are popular in other markets too and there are few enough of them left. Demand plus relative rarity plus a good aftermarket parts supply, plus old enough for classic tax/insurance equals value.

hi wibbs, one i looked at was classified advert in England and you're right, was not selling at that price
    here auction one, be interesting to see what this one goes for
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-300ZX-2-2-Manual-Targa-Fairlady-Low-Mileage-Sports-Manual-Gearbox/184141790651

So can i ask you wibbs - what is this car worth in your opinion? I might put in a bid myself

• Advertisement

hi wibbs, one i looked at was classified advert in England and your right, was selling at that price
    here auction one, be interesting to see what this one goes for
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-300ZX-2-2-Manual-Targa-Fairlady-Low-Mileage-Sports-Manual-Gearbox/184141790651
    I might put in a bid myself
    Well there's a perfect example head. OK let's say you won it for I dunno 2000 sterlings. Fine, now convert that to yoyos, add the various import and registration taxes and the cost of shipping/driving it here. Grand, now look at the car in the pics. And remember FG, cars always look better in photos. It needs paintwork, a quick slap of turtle wax won't cut it.

And then we get to the rust.... I've some idea and experience and holy horror of different 90's Jap Iron and when I saw the pics of the rear wheelarches a shiver went through me. That "surface" rust? That's both lower rear quarters needing welding and replacement metal and if it goes deep some pretty complex work. Not cheap. Even usually cheap chancers would ask for a chunk of change. To be fair to the seller they do say: "it needs new sills and some welding to the floor". Right well if the sills are gone and bits of the floor, that means the rot is way worse than it looks at first glance and if it's into the rear suspension points, jaysus, and as we've seen fixing the rear wheelarches is a major headache and expensive one. But let's say you went mad and did all of that, then it's full respray on top. That's no bit of MIG welding and a rattle can. How much do you think that'll all cost?

That's before how mechanically sound is it actually. It's a Japanese import, so unless someone imported it personally direct from Japan, the stated mileage and number of owners is about as accurate as a daily newspaper astrologer.

See how fast your 2000K would get out of hand? And then you'd have to find a buyer for it...

Well there's a perfect example head. OK let's say you won it for I dunno 2000 sterlings. Fine, now convert that to yoyos, add the various import and registration taxes and the cost of shipping/driving it here. Grand, now look at the car in the pics. And remember FG, cars always look better in photos. It needs paintwork, a quick slap of turtle wax won't cut it.

And then we get to the rust.... I've some idea and experience and holy horror of different 90's Jap Iron and when I saw the pics of the rear wheelarches a shiver went through me. That "surface" rust? That's both lower rear quarters needing welding and replacement metal and if it goes deep some pretty complex work. Not cheap. Even usually cheap chancers would ask for a chunk of change. To be fair to the seller they do say: "it needs new sills and some welding to the floor". Right well if the sills are gone and bits of the floor, that means the rot is way worse than it looks at first glance and if it's into the rear suspension points, jaysus, and as we've seen fixing the rear wheelarches is a major headache and expensive one. But let's say you went mad and did all of that, then it's full respray on top. That's no bit of MIG welding and a rattle can. How much do you think that'll all cost?

That's before how mechanically sound is it actually. It's a Japanese import, so unless someone imported it personally direct from Japan, the stated mileage and number of owners is about as accurate as a daily newspaper astrologer.

See how fast your 2000K would get out of hand? And then you'd have to find a buyer for it...
    Great post Wibbs, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I think one thing that the UK has that we dont seem to is multiple sales outlets - if you are wiling to put in some serious leg work and trawling of mags you could possibly find a hidden treasure thats totally undervalued by its owner - clean it up and make some money by making a better fist of the advertising of it - maybe a show etc

Another possible way to do it would be as was pointed out earlier - buy a good clean 27 or 28 yo car with a big engine ( SL500 comes to mind, but you'd need to know your sh*t ) and store it. ( Brexit might also be an issue ). It will be worth significantly more once it goes over the 30.

Lastly and easy way to make a small bit of money in classics, start with a lot of money !

Nissan 300zx got to 1500stg

Which is all it's worth, if that. Again you'd get it to Ireland and allowing for exchange rate add another 1000 or so? To repair the rust properly you're looking at least a thousand quid per side in welding and fab work and that would be a good price I reckon as I could see it getting to three thousand easily enough. Then a proper respray which will be another few grand on top. The car in half decent state could be running you more than 7000, before you look at the oily bits. If you went all out I could easily see the end result hitting near 10k. You could probably buy a mich better condition example that needs little work for around the 5-6k. As ever, it's far far better to spend more at the start to get a better car that needs less, than a "bargain" that will hoover your wallet clean after the new car glow has gone.

Which is all it's worth, if that. Again you'd get it to Ireland and allowing for exchange rate add another 1000 or so? To repair the rust properly you're looking at least a thousand quid per side in welding and fab work and that would be a good price I reckon as I could see it getting to three thousand easily enough. Then a proper respray which will be another few grand on top. The car in half decent state could be running you more than 7000, before you look at the oily bits. If you went all out I could easily see the end result hitting near 10k. You could probably buy a mich better condition example that needs little work for around the 5-6k. As ever, it's far far better to spend more at the start to get a better car that needs less, than a "bargain" that will hoover your wallet clean after the new car glow has gone.

never thought of that, thanks Wibbs

I have my heart set on an Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, Manual, 1996 or so model,
    I got 5000 here for one so if you guys have one or know of one Please let me know, even one needing a bit of TLC

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

But the ad said

"It has no MOT but could be easily restored". :pac:

I got 5000 here for one so if you guys have one or know of one Please let me know, even one needing a bit of TLC
    Look for one that needs as little TLC as possible, especially bodywork. People tend to look at the oily bits that make it go as the important part and it is, but what sends most cars of that vintage to the scrapheap in the sky is rust. Fixing that stuff gets pricey very quickly. let the previous owner take that hit, so you don't have to. Yes investing in an older car will make it more saleable, but very few things you'll invest in a car will make that money back when you come to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ferg44

very few things you'll invest in a car will make that money back when you come to sell it.[/QUOTE]

Oooo so true
    You will never make money ..
    I bought an xr3 with only 56K miles on it, paperwork to prove
    Looked good , drove lovely .
    Few mts later I decided to get a 'few jobs ' done with a friend that repairs ..
    Thing was off the road for next 2 yrs with all the rust he found underneath ,courtesy of all the well salted Scottish roads .
    cost was 1.5 times the price of car to make it safe ..

Looks good now , drives well.
    I m happy with it now

But no way on earth will I make money if I sell it
    You buy an old car for the idiotic love of it , not for the expected $ € signs !

• Advertisement

If you cant get an expert bodyworker to inspect your desired car,
    then you are risking all your hard earned cash.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    lol a 1996 Twin Turbo Supra for 5k.

I did say one needing TLC,

like the celica gt4 too but must be Carlos sainz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭saabsaab

If you are bringing in a classic under 30 years old from the UK there is a penal VRT tax on it no matter what you paid for it. Also the transport etc.

If you get something popular at least parts available over 30 years old 1990 this year you could do it maybe. Re-spray is costly so look for something that needs a polish/toiuch ups.

I'd look at MGB GT, Honda, BX, Saab, Mercedes and Volvo. Paint seems to be better on the last few listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

Absolutely no offence intended..... I think you should go back to the drawing board if you think you will buy a mk4 Supra twin turbo manual for 5k, honestly you need to do a lot more homework in relation to values of vehicles in order to be realistic....

Any sort of half good Mk3 3.0 injection auto supra will make 5k.... and they are on a completely different level price wise in comparison to the mk4.

any one tell me why this model of supra is so popular and the model before it not near as popular

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

You need to get on to “hells” and ask her to sketch out a supra.
    Fcukin goblin works garage. The bmw they built as a stunt drift car they spent the budget on a sh1te body kit and never changed the diff.
    It was a bag of painted up sh1te.
    It wouldn’t even diff a circle.

You need to get on to “hells” and ask her to sketch out a supra.
    Fcukin goblin works garage. The bmw they built as a stunt drift car they spent the budget on a sh1te body kit and never changed the diff.
    It was a bag of painted up sh1te.
    It wouldn’t even diff a circle.

did you see the supra they modified

well guys i looked at the 92 supra and its clean, nice car but no turbo, wouldn't pull you outta bed,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

did you see the supra they modified

No I gave up on goblin early on.couldnt be looking at it.its fairytale stuff

Advertisement