Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When does one become an "Oulwan"?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

When to think it is ok to wear footwear that reveals your toes that are not A for summer or B heels. or when you think it is ok to wear tights or socks and sandals.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

0lddog wrote: »
    Whaaaaa?

Tom Brown ?

Shhhhrrrllly shome mishtake ?

Dont you mean Alan Freeman ?

( God I miss The Light Program & Music w y Work, and what about hearing Terry W Fight The Flab .................. AND LOSE ............. in the afternoons ? ) )

( Come to think of it, the Brits have been fighting the flab for 50 years now - its only recently that they trotted out the Diabetes Bogeyman - )

Nevermind. The answer to the question is : you become an Oulwan when you discover that you are married to an Oulfella.

HTH

Olddog

( not Ouldog, no, never, - I'd be shot - )

No, Tom Brown it was...he would have announced to the world what the new entries were...some weeks it was Gilbert O'Sullivan (Oh Claire, Get Down), or The Simon Park Orchestra, or Charles Aznavour (She) etc., etc.
    I was also An Alan Freeman fan, but he was on Saturday afternoons when I listened to him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

CUCINA wrote: »
    No, Tom Brown it was...he would have announced to the world what the new entries were...some weeks it was Gilbert O'Sullivan (Oh Claire, Get Down), or The Simon Park Orchestra, or Charles Aznavour (She) etc., etc.
    I was also An Alan Freeman fan, but he was on Saturday afternoons when I listened to him...

Ta-daa! Well, whaddya know, you're right! I thought it should be Alan Freeman as well. OG, that's what's known as a 'silver moment' for you and me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Browne_%28broadcaster%29

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

For men it's when you keep and cherish a "special stick" in the shed solely for stirring paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭miss misty

Layinghen wrote: »
    You become an oulwan when you no longer care what people think about you or worry that people mightn't approve of what you do with your life. You are here for a short time - make sure it's a good time. Growing old disgracefully is the way to go :D

Totally Agree.... don't worry what other people think any more, live each day as if it was your last. :):)

• Advertisement

For men it's when you keep and cherish a "special stick" in the shed solely for stirring paint.

Time to 'fess up. Not only men! :o My paint shtick is in the shape of an old wooden spoon! Tee-hee!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

.... when one finds oneself sleeping with a pensioner? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

But surely the pensioner is the Owlwan
    and you're the youngwan. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Yep I am the dolly bird all right:)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you have to ask the question, you're probably already there.

But signs and symptoms are:
    Groaning when you pick something up off the floor.
    The floor seeming further away when you do.
    Computer screens become strangely blurry, and newsprint gets smaller.
    You grow more hair where you never had any, and less hair where you always had some.
    You listen to Radio 1 because modern music stations are just so noisy!
    You wonder where children get all their energy.
    You wonder why teenagers are so lazy and feckless.
    You wonder who the heck that aulwan in the mirror is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

A poem for all us oulwans

WARNING - by Jenny Joseph

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
    With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
    And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
    And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
    I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
    And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
    And run my stick along the public railings
    And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
    I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
    And pick flowers in other people's gardens
    And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
    And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
    Or only bread and pickle for a week
    And hoard pens and pencils and beer mats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
    And pay our rent and not swear in the street
    And set good example for the children.
    We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
    So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
    When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Layinghen I really like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

I think it is a brilliant poem. In the US there are Red Hat Societies for women over 50. In fact I believe there is a chapter in Ireland. Just a group of mad Oulwans who put on their red hats and purple and meet up for tea parties and go away for week ends and basically enjoy living.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I know a couple of the mad hatters living in the USA. Some of the branches can be a bit 'uptight' in their outlook but then there are others that are magnificently insane with a real lust for life. The overall impression of the hatters is good though.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    I know a couple of the mad hatters living in the USA. Some of the branches can be a bit 'uptight' in their outlook but then there are others that are magnificently insane with a real lust for life. The overall impression of the hatters is good though.

Sour grapes OG, 'cos they wouldn't let you join! :D

In what way 'uptight'? I might fit in. :)

Advertisement