Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When does one become an "Oulwan"?

Options
  • 11-06-2013 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Is it when you reach a certain age or become "old" in your head?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

When one becomes invisible to the unfairer sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

I like it - the "unfairer sex"..... yes when you hit a certain age you become invisible to men - or else they offer you their seat;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

i was on here a few years ago and people were talking about ads they hated. Someone said they hated the ad with the oulwans drinking tea and talking about socks. Oulwans? the only ad I knew was the barry's tea ad with some ladies after a night out drinking tea and slagging each other off. Thing is: they were all a few years younger then me and I had no idea I was an oulwan :o

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

Ignorance is bliss Lynski I guess. When gardai, doctors, nurses and other professionals are all younger than you - this could be an indicator too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

As a woman, when you decide you look ridiculous in leggings & instead opt for slacks & a comfortable top that dosent reveal all your bits 'n boobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

When you see someone for the first time in many years who was famous when they were young and they are in the same age bracket as you.

In my case, the best example I can think of is David Essex. Couldn't believe it a few years ago when I saw him on TV, a grey-haired, wrinkled man. Then I looked in the mirror and lo and behold what did I see...no prizes for guessing!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

CUCINA wrote: »
    In my case, the best example I can think of is David Essex. Couldn't believe it a few years ago when I saw him on TV, a grey-haired, wrinkled man. Then I looked in the mirror and lo and behold what did I see...no prizes for guessing!

Cucina, I saw him on TV not long ago and I couldn't believe it was him! He's still good for his age I suppose, but where did that gorgeous young fella with the twinkly blue eyes go?

I saw him many moons ago when they were recording the follow up to "That'll Be The Day". "Stardust", it was called. They shot part of it at Belle Vue in Manchester and I went with a few friends - had a great time. Trouble is, I never realised it was so long ago - 1974 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

poppyvally wrote: »
    As a woman, when you decide you look ridiculous in leggings & instead opt for slacks & a comfortable top that dosent reveal all your bits 'n boobs

I mustn't be an owlwan so! ;) I have rediscovered fancy underwear...

When you realise the men you fancy are the ones you used to regard as 'old'!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Age (and oulwanism) is a state of mind. Sadly it's other peoples minds rather then yours that decides.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

when you find your sleeping with a granny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

getz wrote: »
    when you find your sleeping with a granny

Or grandad :)

Mollywolly wrote: »
    Or grandad :)
    checkmate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

When the Kids on the street call you "Mister"

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

When people humour you by saying "There's some great articles in Irelands Own"

when you can only do three times in a night what you could do six times a night

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

When, as in my case the other night, you discover the "oulwans and oulfellas" site for the first time, have a look to see what all these old people are doing and then realise to your horror that you can identify with many of the posters!

Actually, one post that really caught my eye was where someone was describing how they used to tape songs from the Top Twenty show presented by Tom Brown on Sunday nights on BBC radio, That's exactly what I used to do. That would have been in around the early/mid Seventies. One of my favourite songs then (and even now) was "I Feel Love" by Donna Summer.

And you know the really sad thing? I still have a pile of cassette tapes of my work from that time, in the attic! I'll really have to bite the bullet one of these days and throw them out...hmmm...that gives me an idea for another thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭almostbroke

you know you're an oulwan when you decide to go back to college and find you're older than the teacher....

and.....when it takes you all night to do what you used to do all night......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

When your teeth become like the stars.

They come out at night. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

You become an oulwan when you no longer care what people think about you or worry that people mightn't approve of what you do with your life. You are here for a short time - make sure it's a good time. Growing old disgracefully is the way to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

CUCINA wrote: »
    ........Actually, one post that really caught my eye was where someone was describing how they used to tape songs from the Top Twenty show presented by Tom Brown on Sunday nights on BBC radio, ......

Whaaaaa?

Tom Brown ?

Shhhhrrrllly shome mishtake ?

Dont you mean Alan Freeman ?

( God I miss The Light Program & Music w y Work, and what about hearing Terry W Fight The Flab .................. AND LOSE ............. in the afternoons ? ) )

( Come to think of it, the Brits have been fighting the flab for 50 years now - its only recently that they trotted out the Diabetes Bogeyman - )

Nevermind. The answer to the question is : you become an Oulwan when you discover that you are married to an Oulfella.

HTH

Olddog

( not Ouldog, no, never, - I'd be shot - )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

When you are past your 'best before date'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

jos28 wrote: »
    When you are past your 'best before date'.

Thankfully the gang in here were born long before 'best before dates' were even thought of!! Rock forever youse guys! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Thankfully the gang in here were born long before 'best before dates' were even thought of!! Rock forever youse guys! :P
    I remember when this was all glass milk bottles and pennyworth o'sweets

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

When does one become an "oulwan"?

In my case, sometime after therapy, hormonal treatment, an eye-watering surgical procedure and recovery; successful negotiations with Mrs. BrensBenz on access to her wardrobe and crate of smellies; change my FaceBook status and join the local bowls club. Otherwise, by age, I already qualify.

Having lots of spare time lately; being entirely immune to pain; in the interest of science and to answer your question more accurately, I could sign up for this process and measure the time from "start" to when a boy scout offers to help me across the road. If you urgently require an answer to your question, I could call VHI today and (ahem) get the ball rolling. PM me (whatever that is.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I am not an oulwan in the head but I can't fool a flight of stairs, and my birthday suit needs ironing.

Rube, doncha know all deese rules also apply to 'oulfellas too. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

But Jellybaby I am a youngfella really LOL

I don't really qualify for either ... errr ... Do I?

We can have you tested for 'oul-fulness Rube! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

When you find yourself considering beige items of clothing in M&S!

• Advertisement

sudzs wrote: »
    When you find yourself considering beige items of clothing in M&S!

We did that in the 70's! In fact, everything was brown and beige then, I could tell you about my wallpaper but I don't want to frighten you. :)

Advertisement