Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Greatest Orator

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

Young Ireland ought to get a mention - Mitchel, Meagher, et al.

Burke was a well respected orator.

Grattan, the failed poet, probably wins though. 'Twas unfortunate his political achievements weren't as pretty as his words though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Michael Barrret wrongfully convicted of the Bombing of Clerkenwell in 1878 delivered a remarkable speech by all accounts
    "I have never wilfully maliciously, or intentionally injured a human being that I am aware of, no, not even in character, I love my country and if my life was ten times dearer that it is, and if I could by every means redress the wrongs of that persecuted land by the sacrifice of my life, I would willing and gladly do so - I will meet death without a murmur". http://archives.tcm.ie/westernpeople/2002/04/03/story6581.asp
    The next day the ''Daily Telegraph'' reported that he

“...delivered a most remarkable speech, criticising with great acuteness the evidence against him, protesting that he had been condemned on insufficient grounds, and eloquently asserting his innocence”.

One of the trial lawyers, Montague Williams, wrote:

“On looking at the dock, one’s attention was attracted by the appearance of Barrett, for whom I must confess I felt great commiseration. He was a square–built fellow, scarcely five feet eight in height and dressed like a well–to–do farmer. This resemblance was increased by the frank, open, expression on his face. A less murderous countenance than Barrett’s I have not seen. Good humour was latent in his every feature and he took the greatest interest in the proceedings.”

http://tripatlas.com/Michael_Barrett_%28Fenian%29

Does anyone have a link to his complete speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

Denerick wrote: »
    That rubbish about Paisley is just that, rubbish. Paisley's booming voice was the hallmark of the Ulster demagogue, be it at a public rally or in parliament. His opinions were horrible, but his manner of expressing them was electrifying.
    Reverend Ian Parsley's manner of expressing his views were about as was electrifying as a blind drunk Celtic supporter after a match against Rangers :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Reverend Ian Parsley's manner of expressing his views were about as was electrifying as a blind drunk Celtic supporter after a match against Rangers :rolleyes:

Oh just go away you boring partisan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

David Norris is definitely one of the best orators in Ireland today. He's animated, articulate and gets a myriad of points across in a way that can be understood by ordinary people. He can connect with all types of people (except homophobes :rolleyes:)which is one trait of a great orator. He should be president!:D

Daniel O'Connell gets my vote for the best orator in Irish history with all those monster meetings.

Paisley certainly knew how to stir a mob, but that's not a hallmark of a great orator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

You know, you might have something there. Is there a thin line between great orator and rabble rouser?

As someone who remembers the period I recall in my early teens seeing a direct connection in style between Paisley, Ian Smith in 'Rhodesia' with his racist screeds and Governor George Wallace in Alabama with his hate speeches of "segregation forever" fame.

They weren't so much swaying or influencing people with their words as feeding into the already established prejudices of their respective audiences.

My vote goes to Oscar Wilde who said - "we Irish...are the greatest talkers since the Greeks".

During one of the trails Wilde broke into a speech on 'The Love that Dare not Speak its name' that stirred the Victorian public in the court. His sentiments probably went against their prejudices but they were so stirred by what Wilde said that they all broke into applause.

Unfortunately, ultimately Wilde ended up in gaol anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

MarchDub wrote: »
    You know, you might have something there. Is there a thin line between great orator and rabble rouser?

As someone who remembers the period I recall in my early teens seeing a direct connection in style between Paisley, Ian Smith in 'Rhodesia' with his racist screeds and Governor George Wallace in Alabama with his hate speeches of "segregation forever" fame.

They weren't so much swaying or influencing people with their words as feeding into the already established prejudices of their respective audiences.
    Paisley got his doctorate from the segragationist and anti Catholic Bob Jones University in the 60's. While there he 'studied' the preaching methods of suprmascist crackpot evangelists of the deep south. Birds of a feather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Paisley got his doctorate from the segragationist and anti Catholic Bob Jones University in the 60's. While there he 'studied' the preaching methods of suprmascist crackpot evangelists of the deep south. Birds of a feather.

Thats like saying Question Time between the Taoiseach and the dail is of little use.

We all know it to be posturing and rhetoric but its the skill with with its done.

Oratory is not all about ideas or clarity or prose but delivery and passion.

You can equally say that the evasive qualities of Sinn Fein on issues they do not want to discuss is a skill.

Oratory is like political stagecraft and acknowledging the skill of Paisley may open the door for others to acknowledge the skill of those you support.

Take this

Paisley continued to denounce the Catholic Church and the Pope after the incident. In a television interview for The Unquiet Man, a 2001 documentary on Paisley's life, he expressed his pride at being the only person to have the courage to denounce the Pope. After the death of Pope John Paul II in 2005, Paisley expressed sympathy for Catholics stating

"We can understand how Roman Catholics feel at the death of the Pope and we would want in no way to interfere with their expression of sorrow and grief at this time." [16]

This was in contrast to Paisley's reaction to the death of Pope John XXIII in June 1963, when Paisley organised protests against the lowering of flags in public buildings after the death of the Pope. [17]

That was a piece of oratory that expressed empathy and connection.

Someone mentioned Pat Rabbitte - here he is in full oratory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

There was a guy who diied mid eighties , communist from Leitrim, use to love listening to him on the Radio , was in the Dail.

An old blue shirt made me listen to him, because of the quality of his oratory

There was a guy who diied mid eighties , communist from Leitrim, use to love listening to him on the Radio , was in the Dail.

An old blue shirt made me listen to him, because of the quality of his oratory

Are you maybe referring to John Joe McGirl? He was a great orator too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 butcher75

Currently Gerry Adams is probably Irelands best, you might not agree with his politics but he's a superb orator.

Advertisement