Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,853 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

ELM327 wrote: »
    I posted in a stinge thread but was so stingy I didnt include an example.

<reports post>

Ya feckin' stinge, yah!
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Tzardine wrote: »
    A friend of my wife is as tight as they get. Think of Tam in Still Game and you are getting there.

Her and her husband both in well paid public service jobs. They are going out about 15 years or so. Despite this, she refuses to open a joint account and insists of everything being split 50/50. We were all in Tesco recently and she bought about 7 euros worth of burgers and buns. She made her long suffering partner transfer her the 3.50 odd before they left the store.

She told my wife she has about 50 grand in savings. Despite this, they got married about 3 years ago and the husband paid for everything out of an inheritance. She didn't put a cent of her savings towards it. She is just the worst. She refuses to spend a cent of her savings. I swear she would not dip into it if she needed a life saving operation.
    She probably still has her communion money :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I still have my baptismal money

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    She probably still has her communion money :pac:

Probably has the husband's as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

A tale of double tightness. Firstly, my workplace is too tight to keep the place stocked up with washing up liquid, so it usually falls on myself and one other lad to replace it when its empty. Loads of other people use it, but I don't mind as I use it quite a bit myself.

Anyway, I bought an absolute enormous container yesterday which was meant to see out the year. Came in this morning and it looks like some tight so and so has siphoned off the top of it, and taken it home with them, about a quarter of the bottle is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Tzardine wrote: »
    Her and her husband both in well paid public service jobs. They are going out about 15 years or so. Despite this, she refuses to open a joint account and insists of everything being split 50/50. We were all in Tesco recently and she bought about 7 euros worth of burgers and buns. She made her long suffering partner transfer her the 3.50 odd before they left the store.

I'd say he's constantly on online banking transferring bitty amounts here and there. The poor chap.

The fact she made him transfer the 'tree fiddy' before they left the store is pathetic.

My friend's ex boyfriend was miserable. She'd ask him the odd time when they were out drinking if she could get a cigarette off him. He charged her €2 each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I have nothing but contempt for people who pull shit like that. They genuinely don’t see what’s wrong with it. SO entitled.

I have a relative that bought a tagging gun on eBay to reattach labels to clothes. She buys expensive dresses & outfits, wears them, washes them & reattaches the tags & goes back in with her receipt for a full refund.
    She tells people about too, as if its some badge of honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I have a relative that bought a tagging gun on eBay to reattach labels to clothes. She buys expensive dresses & outfits, wears them, washes them & reattaches the tags & goes back in with her receipt for a full refund.

I dont think thats really the same.The shoes that where brought back were unworn.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

dubstarr wrote: »
    I dont think thats really the same.The shoes that where brought back were unworn.

Oh please, no more about the shoes (boots). I wish there was this thread for the stinge stories and another thread to discuss the living daylights out of whether things are stingy or not. That way I could read the stinge stories and never, ever look at the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

dubstarr wrote: »

The post ODB was replying to was about someone who wears clothes, leaves the tags on and then returns them afterwards. It wasn't about the shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

SusieBlue wrote: »

That’s so... pathetic. I’m sorry that I’m insulting your relative in saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

I am a pensioner now but in ye olden days we were living on very little because we just did not have it. When we began saving for a house, the stingiest thing, and it makes me cringe when I think of it, was I took the bulb out of the radio. I must have saved about a penny in 15 years doing that, and do you know something else? I never put it back in. Anyone want to buy a radio bulb?...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

enfield wrote: »
    I am a pensioner now but in ye olden days we were living on very little because we just did not have it. When we began saving for a house, the stingiest thing, and it makes me cringe when I think of it, was I took the bulb out of the radio. I must have saved about a penny in 15 years doing that, and do you know something else? I never put it back in. Anyone want to buy a radio bulb?...

What is this misterious thing?

When you plugged in the radio, the bulb lit up the dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

When you plugged in the radio, the bulb lit up the dial.

Circa 1900, ye aul miser...

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭TopOfTheRight

I'd say he's constantly on online banking transferring bitty amounts here and there. The poor chap.

The fact she made him transfer the 'tree fiddy' before they left the store is pathetic.

But are we sure she's even a girl scout and not about eight stories tall and a crustacean from the Proterozoic era?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

one of the guys on our street puts wire on the gate at Halloween so the kids can't get in. same guy i did some work for years ago asked me would i like a drink before i left opened the press full of spirits beer etc and took out the tea bags. honest truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Sure a penny went a long way back then! ;)

Came in this morning and it looks like some tight so and so has siphoned off the top of it, and taken it home with them, about a quarter of the bottle is gone.

I've a shedload of workplace misers on my CV. Some places had toilet roll you could see through, it was that thin. I worked in a place years ago and was by far the youngest person in the whole shop. I used to bring in stuff to make sambos, a carton of milk and a newspaper every day. I'd sit down and do the crossword over lunch.

After about a month, I noticed that the same fellas would be hanging around my table as I neared the end of my lunch asking if I was finished with the paper. Two in particular would be competing against each other to get their spoke in ahead of each other. It degenerated to the stage where they'd ask me first thing in the morning "can I get a loan of your paper after lunch?".

One day I got stuck with a customer and was late getting to the break room. Found the two of them sitting at a table having taken the paper out of my bag and split the thing between them. "Didn't think you'd mind, like". I was raging, but didn't say anything. As I was putting it back together I noticed they'd done the crossword and all (well, started it and gave up after making a bags of it). I blew me top, nealry got in rouble over the outburst. Next day...."Can I get your paper after lunch?".

I stopped buying it for a while to see if either of them took the hint but then had to talk with the stingy feckers. Just brought a book in after that.

About 6 months later, a new fella started and they were up to the same with him, fighting over his paper. I had a word with him, told him what the story was. Little genius said "why don't we buy it every second day between us"? Next day, one of them walks into the canteen and is straight over to your man, who had no paper. The other one saw me doing the crossword and his face lit up. "Gis a shot of that paper when your finished?"......."sorry mate, I already promised it to someone". The image of that smug look vanishing from both their faces as I walked over and gave it to the new fella will stay with me forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I was on a job in an office for the past 3 days. The toilets have those huge rolls of bog roll where it comes out a small hole in the centre. There was one fella working there who would spend 15 mins in the jacks a couple of days a week, pulling out enough for himself to take home for himself and the wife, he had a huge plastic bag of it. He made no secret of it either.

He's middle management, so on about €75,000 per year, wife is a lecturer for last 20 years, so on about the same. No kids, mortgage paid off (as he seemingly reminds anybody who mentions house hunting).

• Advertisement

BeardySi wrote: »
    Sure a penny went a long way back then! ;)
    It sure did, you'r get half a flash bar, or 4 Aniseed (nancy) Balls!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It sure did, you'r get half a flash bar, or 4 Aniseed (nancy) Balls!

I'm only in my 40s.
    I remember getting 4 chocolate toffee logs for a penny- or a pack of Tayto for 6p when I was little. Comics were out of my reach- they cost 12-15p each.
    You know it wasn't so long ago!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I'm only in my 40s.
    I remember getting 4 chocolate toffee logs for a penny- or a pack of Tayto for 6p when I was little. Comics were out of my reach- they cost 12-15p each.
    You know it wasn't so long ago!

Tenpenny bags were all the rage in the 80's also. I wonder how many of the young uns on here are wondering how much it cost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

"Can I have my change in jellies please?" :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Christmas party time; when one stingy fcuker will always bounce out before the bill comes round and leave the rest of us to shoulder the tip. (lunch is prepaid - I made sure of that)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Christmas party time; when one stingy fcuker will always bounce out before the bill comes round and leave the rest of us to shoulder the tip. (lunch is prepaid - I made sure of that)

Get a fiver extra off everyone in advance- and split it between the tip and a donation to your favourite charity (MS Ireland seem to be a popular charity this Christmas).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Get a fiver extra off everyone in advance- and split it between the tip and a donation to your favourite charity (MS Ireland seem to be a popular charity this Christmas).

Might be stingy, but I don't want anyone telling me to donate to charity. I've no problem with giving to charity. I donate through work every month.

The above system would rub me the wrong way but might be preferable to having someone skip off without paying.

On a separate point, the topic of tipping came up in another thread recently. Whatever you think about tipping for great service, tipping by default is ridiculous.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I go to work with two friends, one of whom drives us because we live in the same building. I offered to pay her when I moved here and got into the arrangement but she said it was fine and just to buy her coffees now and then. The other girl, while informing her that I had offered, said 'but I'm not offering lol' which I thought was just how the friendship was, but she never contributes anything (not even buying our friend's coffees etc when we go for one) and always expects lifts to other places too.

I could post a good few stories but the other day took the biscuit. We went out for another friend's birthday and our friend didn't drive because the parking would've cost €20 and a taxi was €10 each way anyway (between three of us!!). Our friend started to insist that it would be at least €13 (BETWEEN THREE OF US) but we took a taxi anyway.

She got the one there, I got the one back, and of course I didn't expect our other friend to pay because she drives us to work and back literally every day. Driver friend tried to give me money towards the taxi back and I turned it down... but the other girl took it. This despite having tried to pressure her into driving us there in the first place and you can be sure she wouldn't have offered towards the parking. And it was €4 in total. Takes it to a new level.

We went out for her birthday last week and we all split the bill but paid for her part between us. Her boyfriend (not much better than her) made her split the bottle of water (€3) he'd gotten with him. No idea how people function like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Might be stingy, but I don't want anyone telling me to donate to charity. I've no problem with giving to charity. I donate through work every month.

The above system would rub me the wrong way but might be preferable to having someone skip off without paying.

On a separate point, the topic of tipping came up in another thread recently. Whatever you think about tipping for great service, tipping by default is ridiculous.

someone told me lately that she handed customers their bill in the restaurant and asked them did they want to leave a tip, i couldnt believe it, i work in a job where people often give you tips but i would never dream of asking them such a question and if i was asked the question, I definitely wouldnt leave a tip because i think its cheeky to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

someone told me lately that she handed customers their bill in the restaurant and asked them if they wanted to leave a tip

I know an aircraft captain who jumped out of the aircraft to remind the passenger that he hadn’t given him a tip. This is a guy who regularly cleans out the aircraft after landing and removes just about every consumable item, regardless of the fact that he is going to a hotel. Also saw him open his bag one day and it was full of hotel tea/coffee/sweetener sachets, he obviously had the hotel replace the stock every day and took them.

Advertisement