Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Birdnuts wrote: »
    No one comes out good from this report - it does mention the issue of sewage discharges but nitrate losses from farmland also get alot of coverge with the SE and South Midlands seeing the most severe deteriation on that front. Also quiet shocking how the number of "pristine" water bodies has collapsed to virtually nothing since the 80'S:eek::(

nitrogen use in agriculture has been flat in ireland since the 1980's at around 300k tons per year if i remember correctly. Obviously it varies from year to year but the trend is flat

Also farmers are much more aware of nitrogen usage these days with the bloody cost of it so it use of fertilise is much more targeted

Also from a slurry point of view we are now using trailing shoe and dribble bars which are meant to reduce the threat of pollution - these didn't exist in Ireland in the 80's

So it is easy to blame nitrate losses from farming but the reality should point to a different source because the reality (that word again) is that we are NOT using any more fertiliser than the 80's and we are better (supposedly anyway) at making use of the fertiliser that we do use

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Panch18 wrote: »
    nitrogen use in agriculture has been flat in ireland since the 1980's at around 80k tons per year if i remember correctly. Obviously it varies from year to year but the trend is flat

Also farmers are much more aware of nitrogen usage these days with the bloody cost of it so it use of fertilise is much more targeted

Also from a slurry point of view we are now using trailing shoe and dribble bars which are meant to reduce the threat of pollution - these didn't exist in Ireland in the 80's

So it is easy to blame nitrate losses from farming but the reality should point to a different source because the reality (that word again) is that we are NOT using any more fertiliser than the 80's and we are better (supposedly anyway) at making use of the fertiliser that we do use

Nitrogen use fell between the late 90's and 2015 - but has been rising since then according to a piece I saw in the IFJ a couple of weeks ago . I suppose many will make the link between that recent rise and the lifting of milk quotas. Rising amonnia emmissions are also being flagged

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/forestry-enviro/environment/options-to-reduce-fertiliser-use-will-need-to-be-implemented-at-farm-level-epa-38087938.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭alps

Too many farmers couldn't give a damn.....

Simple as this now....those without the slurry storage, who blacken ground mid winter, who constantly moan that regulations are only for eejits..

Well, they'll cost us all plenty now...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Depends on your county council, department wont bother you at the minute anyway once you go off the radar, i.e dont submit any information re land farmed

You'll be snookered by the bord bia inspection eventually. Every year it's getting more onerous. It's meal dockets they look for now. Next year it'll be fertilizer records, carbon audit aside.

The last inspection I had they need to know about your watercourses.
    Inspection time has increased too from an hour at the very start to now just over three hours.
    Other than bord bia it only takes a phone call from some erroneous neighbour with a grudge to get you landed with a council inspection.

Edited: to say BB also need to know how many acres you farm in the latest inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

alps wrote: »

Simple as this now....those without the slurry storage, who blacken ground mid winter, who constantly moan that regulations are only for eejits..

Yes - I think those in the industry with a bit of commonsense know that the sight of slurry tankers going full blooded over land in late autumn/early winter is a pretty toxic image at every level that does not go unnoticed by the non-farming community, especcially this year and its relentless late autumnal downpours. As others have mentioned on this thread - the days of derogations and indulgences on such issues are coming to an end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Yes - I think those in the industry with a bit of commonsense know that the sight of slurry tankers going full blooded over land in late autumn/early winter is a pretty toxic image at every level that does not go unnoticed by the non-farming community, especcially this year and its relentless late autumnal downpours. As others have mentioned on this thread - the days of derogations and indulgences on such issues are coming to an end.

The pity is it's the ones in derogation that are currently subject to the most inspections that are most likely the most compliant.

It's the farms that as stated above that receive no bps that get no inspections that feel they'll be no consequences that should be looked at. I'm saying that as I know a few of those in my locality where anything could go.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,148 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

When I ring our local county council now to tell them their sewerage line is overflowing into the river they tell me it's irish water I should be ringing. In fairness it hasnt happened in a while but I can never understand how they dont realise that the sewerage isn't coming to the plant anymore

Well it certainly doesn't go unnoticed by the river..

I'll pull you up on derogation though...ive seen the map of the special concern catchements, and it is in no way related to the map of derogation farms.

Derogation farms have on going inspections, and have to at the very least sign a declaration that the required slurry storage is in place. Derogation does not automatically equal problem, I'd argue quiet the opposite, and until all farms are subject to the same inspection protocol, we will have guys spreading and leaking chyte goodo..

Groundwater is near perfect, that's what would have been more at risk from derogation farms.

The problem is runoff from slurry spreading at the wrong time, from dirty yard and roadway runoff and from la k of slurry storage..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,148 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

It's like sticking the 2 fingers up to the people who do have things in order. Wet ground here so more or less 6 months slurry storage needed. Never get to spread 15th January as ground is always too wet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Well it certainly doesn't go unnoticed by the river..

I'll pull you up on derogation though...ive seen the map of the special concern catchements, and it is in no way related to the map of derogation farms.

Derogation farms have on going inspections, and have to at the very least sign a declaration that the required slurry storage is in place. Derogation does not automatically equal problem, I'd argue quiet the opposite, and until all farms are subject to the same inspection protocol, we will have guys spreading and leaking chyte goodo..

Groundwater is near perfect, that's what would have been more at risk from derogation farms.

The problem is runoff from slurry spreading at the wrong time, from dirty yard and roadway runoff and from la k of slurry storage..

It's worth having a look at the full report. There's a lot of different maps in it.

There's also the time lag of 5-10 years before water quality responds to changes in management that is likely to start showing as we've upped n usage by over 50,000t Inthe last 5 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭straight

Fella near us has doubled up his cow numbers with feck all slurry storage. He's out with the rain gun twice a week every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭straight

One of the lads just found a camera in one of the chicken houses. There’s no way of entry without a key and the key is well hidden outside. Whoever placed the camera must’ve hidden in the bushes and waited to see where the key is hidden...

Be careful folks, there are people out there that want to nail agriculture.

Some balm pots out there

https://bigthink.com/technology-innovation/livestock-disruption?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1575747126

It's worth having a look at the full report. There's a lot of different maps in it.

There's also the time lag of 5-10 years before water quality responds to changes in management that is likely to start showing as we've upped n usage by over 50,000t Inthe last 5 years

If it's not in the groundwater, then that not the route to the rivers. It leaves runoff to be the source, and the result from runoff is damn near immediate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

straight wrote: »
    Fella near us has doubled up his cow numbers with feck all slurry storage. He's out with the rain gun twice a week every week.

Well if u listened to the mantra from lots of farmers for last few years it was load on cows first then worry about everything else ,lads were in such a rush to expand and keep up with Johnny next door

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

If it's not in the groundwater, then that's not the route to the rivers. It leaves runoff to be the source, and the result from runoff is damn near immediate.

There's what moves into rivers from runoff, surface soils, and multiple depths below that. The deeper you go, the slower things change (for good and bad). When nitrates was introduced there was a couple of years after that before there was any sign of improvements and it certainly looks like the effects of more cows in the south east is starting to cause changes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Kerry have forward contract out for today only 32.4 cents - 20% of your milk next year summer months !
    Would u take it ?

Kerry have forward contract out for today only 32.4 cents - 20% of your milk next year summer months !
    Would u take it ?

I’d normally jump at an offer like that but if only a 1 year scheme ,no .milk base price for next year will be that and possibly more for full 12 months of 2020.if over 2 years I would fix tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

this may have been discussed elsewhere.... i was just looking at some pics of a river in New Zealand bursting its banks... its summertime over there.... have they had alot of rain etc... was this just a freak event does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Knew there had been some flooding in Wellington.
    Some pics on this link;
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/118070384/weather-relief-allowing-crews-a-good-window-to-clear-si-highway-blockages

Looks like a good bit of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

See an artical in AGRI land on head locking barriers. Anyone price them lately. Tempted to stick a few in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭jaymla627

So paddy Irisman has to have clover included in any grass mixes he uses for reseeding under derogation rules but then he has to go and spray it off and kill the clover he's just sown as the EU is banning clover safe sprays from October 2020, that's another einstein moment from our public sector

What are you spraying a reseed for? Just graze it with light stock.

Water John wrote: »

Have ground rented of a lad that done the above, on 40 acres after reseeding, plagued with docks now, and has to be sprayed twice yearly, batsh*t crazy not spraying a reseed if their is dock seedlings and weeds coming into it

jaymla627 wrote: »
    So paddy Irisman has to have clover included in any grass mixes he uses for reseeding under derogation rules but then he has to go and spray it off and kill the clover he's just sown as the EU is banning clover safe sprays from October 2020, that's another einstein moment from our public sector

There’s a day comming when we as farmers will just have to say enough is enough re all these extra nitrates regulations etc and decisions made by pen pushers which are going to have a negative effect on how we farm and make a living ,at a presentation by a bord via rep this week we were given a fancy presentation on all the great work they do ,how our clean grass fed image is such a bonus when they go to sell products and market it also the extras constantly been added to bord bia audits .were doing all the work taking all these new things on board but for frig all extra return .times like now we need a strong committed ifa,sadly it’s not there but after these elections I hope there’s a big change

Water John wrote: »

Post emergence spray arguably more important than pre,

Doing a false/stale seedbed will get rid of most of the weeds.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    There’s a day comming when we as farmers will just have to say enough is enough re all these extra nitrates regulations etc and decisions made by pen pushers which are going to have a negative effect on how we farm and make a living ,at a presentation by a bord via rep this week we were given a fancy presentation on all the great work they do ,how our clean grass fed image is such a bonus when they go to sell products and market it also the extras constantly been added to bord bia audits .were doing all the work taking all these new things on board but for frig all extra return .times like now we need a strong committed ifa,sadly it’s not there but after these elections I hope there’s a big change

Not going to spend another euro here on complying with ever lengthening regulations, I probably need to put another 100k here to tighten the thing up, slurry storage wise etc but in all likelihood, with the stroke of a pen even if I done the above, in a year our twos time, something else will be brought in and your non-compliant again overnight, our allowable stocking rates will be cut....
    Lads cant be expected to mortgage farms in some cases to comply with nitrates and have the rug pulled out from then at the whims of politicians and public servants

Did anyone push the bord Bia rep on product price, if they actually achieve it ( which they do with butter anyway) and where the money disappears to before it gets back to us..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I think the day is here J

If we leave it much long to stand and fight it will be too late. The anti farming agenda already has far too much air time and power. If we don’t act soon it’ll be over before we start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Power outages from 2am. Biblical rain with high winds and thunderstorms.
    One of the generators was hard to get going because it kept blowing fuses, then it worked away the finest.
    I must put it on the list to give them a run every few months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement