Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-03-2017, 17:15   #46
RGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowWow View Post
Looked at a recording of the LLS today - very interesting section on DNA and absolutely great marketing by Ancestry.

I'm waiting on my own results at present, but recently got my wife's. Whilst we can get all her European results, on the LLS the 5 people sampled had DNA results narrowed down to province/county. Is this available for all people tested?
No. That is a brand new feature still in testing that is not available to customers as yet. But if they're demonstrating it on TV, it can't be far away.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-03-2017, 19:27   #47
Boulevardier

I recently paid over 100 Euro to have my ancestral DNA done by a supposedly reputable outfit, only to be told I was "100% European."

That was it.

I have never felt so ripped off. Naturally, my request to get my money back was ignored.

I have not given up.

Can anyone tell me (by PM or on thread) the name of a decent company, and what I am likely to get for my money (and saliva)?

Thanks.
23-03-2017, 19:33   #48
spurious
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
I've used FTDNA - there is some exchange between companies but you have to pay to do it. Third party site gedmatch.com is the way to go.
Quote:
It's a site where you can upload results from the 3 main DNA testing companies.
I like GEDMatch. I just really wish some people would fill in their trees or reply to emails. I mean why would you upload your stuff and then not reply to matches?

Their eye colour prediction tool has been creepily accurate in my family's cases.
Thanks from:
23-03-2017, 21:33   #49
tabbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowWow View Post
Looked at a recording of the LLS today - very interesting section on DNA
on the LLS the 5 people sampled had DNA results narrowed down to province/county.
I suspect they are being over specific with regard to local pinpointing places of origin. While work is in progress, I do not believe it can yet be narrowed down so precisely.

For genealogical companies, DNA is a potential goldmine, hence the snake oil sales tactics.
23-03-2017, 21:40   #50
RGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbey View Post
I suspect they are being over specific with regard to local pinpointing places of origin. While work is in progress, I do not believe it can yet be narrowed down so precisely.
You would be surprised. Studies aimed at narrowing down that precisely have been going on for years. There is already a test out aimed at Brits that appears to be legitimate: https://www.livingdna.com/en-us/uk-regional-breakdown
Advertisement
23-03-2017, 21:41   #51
RGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulevardier View Post
I recently paid over 100 Euro to have my ancestral DNA done by a supposedly reputable outfit, only to be told I was "100% European."

That was it.

I have never felt so ripped off. Naturally, my request to get my money back was ignored.

I have not given up.

Can anyone tell me (by PM or on thread) the name of a decent company, and what I am likely to get for my money (and saliva)?

Thanks.
What company was it?
24-03-2017, 09:39   #52
dubhthach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbey View Post

For genealogical companies, DNA is a potential goldmine, hence the snake oil sales tactics.
From what I've read about "Genetic Communities" feature that's supposedly coming at end of this month (or in early April) is that it's based off using people in their database to find matches in specific region.

So for example in case of Healy-Rae he most closely matched people who had already tested with origins in region that mentioned.

Obviously for most accurate results you are going to need people with at least 4 grandparents (or prefable 8 great-grandparents) from same geographic region. This is one of the criteria for the up and coming Irish DNA Atlas (Royal College of Surgeons involved). To be in that study a person had to have all 8 great-grandparents from a specific geographic region of around 30km across. I couldn't take part myself as I didn't meet the criteria.

Given the age of the participants the average great-grandparent was born in the late 1840's so it will give us an idea of genetic substructure in Ireland around the time of the Famine.
Thanks from:
24-03-2017, 10:03   #53
pinkypinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubhthach View Post
Obviously for most accurate results you are going to need people with at least 4 grandparents (or prefable 8 great-grandparents) from same geographic region. This is one of the criteria for the up and coming Irish DNA Atlas (Royal College of Surgeons involved). To be in that study a person had to have all 8 great-grandparents from a specific geographic region of around 30km across. I couldn't take part myself as I didn't meet the criteria.
I'm the same: 6/8 are in it but there's 2 from another part of the country. I did consider submitting my aunt's DNA without telling her because she does fit the criteria, but then I decided that would be bold.
24-03-2017, 22:34   #54
torrevieja

Quote:
I'm the same: 6/8 are in it but there's 2 from another part of the country. I did consider submitting my aunt's DNA without telling her because she does fit the criteria, but then I decided that would be bold.
Don't tell her
Advertisement
28-03-2017, 14:24   #55
RGM

I just noticed that the new AncestryDNA "Genetic Communities" feature is now displaying on my profile. I didn't get an e-mail about it and it still says it's in beta. It has me as part of "Irish in Donegal East" and "Ulster Irish" (one being inside the other of course), which are both true, but nothing involving the rest of my tree.

Going back to third-great-grandparents, my tree breaks down as:
- 9/32 Donegal
- 6/32 Cork
- 4/32 Galway
- 2/32 Mayo
- 1/32 Roscommon
- 1/32 Offaly
- 1/32 Laois
- 1/32 Cavan
- 1/32 Derry
- 5/32 Unknown Irish (3 likely Ulster)
- 1/32 Scotland
Thanks from:
28-03-2017, 15:23   #56
hammy007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM View Post
I just noticed that the new AncestryDNA "Genetic Communities" feature is now displaying on my profile. I didn't get an e-mail about it and it still says it's in beta. It has me as part of "Irish in Donegal East" and "Ulster Irish" (one being inside the other of course), which are both true, but nothing involving the rest of my tree.

Going back to third-great-grandparents, my tree breaks down as:
- 9/32 Donegal
- 6/32 Cork
- 4/32 Galway
- 2/32 Mayo
- 1/32 Roscommon
- 1/32 Offaly
- 1/32 Laois
- 1/32 Cavan
- 1/32 Derry
- 5/32 Unknown Irish (3 likely Ulster)
- 1/32 Scotland
Roberta Estes wrote a good analysis about it:

https://dna-explained.com/2017/03/28...c-communities/
Thanks from:
28-03-2017, 15:26   #57
Mez1982

I have 2 genetic communities. Connaught Irish with a 60% likelihood and Munster Irish with a 20% likelihood. My ethnicity showed me as 77% Irish with 20% British thrown in and the rest in trace regions. There's absolutely no indication of where the 20% fits in even though I know 2 of my surnames are English and 1 being Scottish. I'm just hoping that as it's still in the beta stages that I'll eventually find out! One possibility is that my English connections havnt tested yet because this genetic communities update is going by your matches DNA and their trees..
28-03-2017, 15:34   #58
RGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mez1982 View Post
I have 2 genetic communities. Connaught Irish with a 60% likelihood and Munster Irish with a 20% likelihood.
It's interesting that you have those provinces with lower likelihoods and I just don't have them at all. I have Donegal East with 60 percent and Ulster Irish with 95 percent.

What percentage of your family tree would you say falls into Munster and Connaught categories?

Last edited by RGM; 28-03-2017 at 15:41.
28-03-2017, 17:04   #59
dubhthach

I've just logged in, they have me in two "Genetic communities" namely:

"Irish in Southern Ireland"

and "Munster Irish"

The labelling on second one is bit off if ye ask me, given it contains all of the historic province of Leinster (eg. south of line Galway -> Dublin).

Now my mother is from North Clare and my father is mix of Belfast and East-Galway/South-Roscommon. Both groups above seem rather vague, doesn't look like I got sub-divided into anything further.
28-03-2017, 21:27   #60
Mez1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM View Post
It's interesting that you have those provinces with lower likelihoods and I just don't have them at all. I have Donegal East with 60 percent and Ulster Irish with 95 percent.

What percentage of your family tree would you say falls into Munster and Connaught categories?
The funny thing is none for Connaught (that I know of). Majority of my mams side would have had Munster origins so I don't understand why I got so little for there and got so much for Connaught! My paper trail goes stops about 1835 or so.
Also just looking again, Munster spills up to Leinster so my dad's side as far back were Kildare with the origins in Cavan.

Last edited by Mez1982; 28-03-2017 at 21:49.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion