Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DNA Analysis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

jos28 wrote: »
    Forgive me if sounds like a stupid question but I've only used Ancestry during 'free' offer times or briefly when I started researching. As I mentioned previously I have my DNA results, I've been messaging the suggested connections. I suppose I really need to see their trees to make the most of this. Can some kind person recommend which subscription would be best. I'll probably only subscribe for a month just to get what I need. Suggestions would be much appreciated.

If you have your results I'd recommend giving GEDmatch a try.

I only heard about it from this thread so I'm only a novice but it's free so give it a try before paying at ancestry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Forgive me if sounds like a stupid question but I've only used Ancestry during 'free' offer times or briefly when I started researching. As I mentioned previously I have my DNA results, I've been messaging the suggested connections. I suppose I really need to see their trees to make the most of this. Can some kind person recommend which subscription would be best. I'll probably only subscribe for a month just to get what I need. Suggestions would be much appreciated.

If you're going for a subscription to Ancestry I'd recommend the Worldwide one as it gives you access to all the records across the globe. I'd also recommend uploading your raw DNA data to FTDNA, with a tree, for more hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭jos28

Cheers, I followed Gedcom instructions here yesterday so here's hoping something shows up there .

Wyldwood wrote: »
    If you're going for a subscription to Ancestry I'd recommend the Worldwide one as it gives you access to all the records across the globe. I'd also recommend uploading your raw DNA data to FTDNA, with a tree, for more hits.

Thanks Wyldwood, I'll definitely do that. Cheers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Just make sure that you remember to cancel within the month so that you don't get into a rolling subscription. You're right, though, I hadn't considered that I wouldn't be able to make connections with the DNA results. I just sent in my sample yesterday so we'll see how long it takes. I suspect August based on what other people are reporting.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Thanks Pinky, I've set the Google calendar to remind me to unsubscribe :D
    Not having much luck ploughing through the connections yet but here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

Got my ancestry results back last night

Ireland 83%
    Great Britain 15%

Low Confidence Region
    Iberian Peninsula 1%
    Europe West 1%

Surprised Italian didn't show up seeing how I have a lot of Italians in my family tree but they are a good bit back in it so I assume have been diluted out on my side of the family.

Matched with the Irish in Galway DNA community which ties in with the Irish side alright and it found a coupe of 3rd cousins and lots of people further out.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

JamboMac wrote: »
    Had some fun with GedMatch, but don't understand some of it or what its telling me.

West european = 57.05
    east european = 9.82
    mediteranian = 24.29
    west asia = 6.69
    northeast asian = .32
    south asian = 1.82

Anybody understand some of the gedmatch tools could explain what they are telling me.

These numbers are meant to be ancient, as in all Europeans will turn up with some Asian in there. They're not meant to be taken at face value.

Wyldwood wrote: »
    My big gripe is all those matches who don't bother to upload even a basic tree with family names. No hope of finding common ancestors if there are no clues given. Also, the number of people who don't reply to queries is frustrating, makes me wonder why they bother doing the DNA test.

The vast majority of people testing at this point are doing it purely for the ethnicity percentages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

RGM wrote: »
    These numbers are meant to be ancient, as in all Europeans will turn up with some Asian in there. They're not meant to be taken at face value.

No i understand this one, but not some of the tools as their is zero explanation from it. Like in one it's telling me Amerindian at 1, I would assume that this couldn't be from all European settlers. If it's designed to point out Native American genes somewhere.

Maybe 1000 of years ago somehow or the tests are pretty much bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 MAGZERFLOOD

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

I'm currently just using the essentials subscription at about £10 per month so I can see trees and contact people. It's the cheapest subscription. I personally don't find Ancestry very good for Irish records. I don't want to pay extra for a worldwide subscription when I might never use it or just look at the odd record. My subscription is purely for use with my DNA results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Ireland 64%
    Great Britain 25%
    Scandinavia 5%
    Low Confidence Region
    Finland/Northwest Russia 3%
    Europe East 2%
    Europe West <1%

Ulster Irish Community - spot on with other research.

61 days from acknowledgement to results.

Now for GedMatch...

I got my results months ago but I might as well post what I got.

Ethnicity Estimate
    Ireland 96%
    Great Britain 2%
    Finland/Northwest Russia 1%
    Scandinavia <1%

Genetic Community
    Connacht Irish (Very Likely 95%) broken down to:
    • North Connacht (Likely 60%)
    • Galway (Possible 20%)

My paternal aunt didn't have Finland or Scandinavia so that must come from my mum's side. The results are as expected. My family are all from Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

The frustration at having so many DNA matches... with no Family Tree....

I think the advertising push for the DNA testing (certainly from Ancestry) has brought a new wave of people who are obviously interested in genealogy but didn't realise that they would have to do some ground work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Mine is much as expected:
    78% Irish
    15% British
    6% European
    1% West asian [Turkey, Armenia etc] - that's the bit I want to know more about.

My genetic community is north midlands, not surprising as 3 out of 4 grandparents came from Dublin/Meath/Westmeath. But no mention of the great granny who came from Inishbofin.

As with others, feeling frustrated with those who are linked, but no family tree put up, or family tree private or who use initials or aliases so you can't even guess where the relationship is. One very odd second cousin match with a V.H. who is linked with a tree managed by someone else. Someone else hasn't a clue who this VH is and how he/she came to be linked with their tree.

srmf5 wrote: »
    I got my results months ago but I might as well post what I got.

Ethnicity Estimate
    Ireland 96%
    Great Britain 2%
    Scandinavia <1%

Genetic Community
    Connacht Irish (Very Likely 95%) broken down to:
    • North Connacht (Likely 60%)
    • Galway (Possible 20%)

My paternal aunt didn't have Finland or Scandinavia so that must come from my mum's side. The results are as expected. My family are all from Connacht.

It's common for anyone of Irish heritage to show small amounts of Scandinavian. It doesn't necessarily indicate a Scandinavian ancestor within a meaningful time frame. This goes for most small percentages that pop up.

If you have Irish heritage, you have Viking heritage as well. It's a certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

There's also fact that trace regions might actually be noise. If you click on any component it will give you a range. So for example I have 89% Ireland, but the range is 77-100% -- they select the middle of the band.

Trace regions particulary those with >1% are often just noise.

dubhthach wrote: »
    There's also fact that trace regions might actually be noise. If you click on any component it will give you a range. So for example I have 89% Ireland, but the range is 77-100% -- they select the middle of the band.

Trace regions particulary those with >1% are often just noise.

Fair point. In the case of Scandinavian traces in the Irish population though, I tend to think it's not a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Ancestry.com denies exploiting users' DNA
    A leading genealogy service, Ancestry.com, has denied exploiting users' DNA following criticism of its terms and conditions.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40045942

• Advertisement

It's common for anyone of Irish heritage to show small amounts of Scandinavian. It doesn't necessarily indicate a Scandinavian ancestor within a meaningful time frame. This goes for most small percentages that pop up.

If you have Irish heritage, you have Viking heritage as well. It's a certainty.

I'm well aware that it's probably from Viking times or that it's just noise but I just found it interesting that my aunt didn't have it. Especially since there's a Knott on my mum's side with the surname supposed to be Scandinavian in origin. It's not proof of it or anything. It's just interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Fair point. In the case of Scandinavian traces in the Irish population though, I tend to think it's not a coincidence.

I'm guessing my 2% Middle East is noise...haven't an iota where that would have come from!

If groups of close relatives and groups administered by a particular person were to only count as one each, I now have 18 matches through Ancestry with whom I can document the relation. Like most of you, I can't go back all that far with my tree, so these are all fourth cousins or closer (with a couple exceptions). I think that's wild. The number of people taking these tests now, particularly in America, is crazy.

If groups of close relatives and groups administered by a particular person were to only count as one each, I now have 18 matches through Ancestry with whom I can document the relation. Like most of you, I can't go back all that far with my tree, so these are all fourth cousins or closer (with a couple exceptions). I think that's wild. The number of people taking these tests now, particularly in America, is crazy.

I have about 118 from 1 3rd cousin to mainly 4th cousins, if you click on those people it will say their ethnicity and how you are linked.

I have about 118 from 1 3rd cousin to mainly 4th cousins, if you click on those people it will say their ethnicity and how you are linked.

No, it will estimate the relation (which is often wrong) and if both of you happen to have a tree it may show a hint if a connection is apparent. But most people don't have trees, or have very bad ones. I'm talking about documented connections, as in I know exactly how we are related.

No, it will estimate the relation (which is often wrong) and if both of you happen to have a tree it may show a hint if a connection is apparent. But most people don't have trees, or have very bad ones. I'm talking about documented connections, as in I know exactly how we are related.

I think that's ancestrys hope lots of up-selling although one potential 3rd cousin has over 1,000+ on his tree. But many haven't logged in 2 years. I think if you where adopted the DNA and tree thing is more important then for the rest of us.

Also can't do a lot since previous generations didn't keep any history.

I think if you where adopted the DNA and tree thing is more important then for the rest of us.

Also can't do a lot since previous generations didn't keep any history.

What? The "tree thing" is the entire point of this board.

What? The "tree thing" is the entire point of this board.

Some people's trees have black holes, some family trees can't be fully built, if the paperwork is no longer their or the person who knows is gone. Genealogy isn't 100% about trees.

So some links may not be able to be fully defined for whatever reason. I come from a massive family I didn't go searching for more cousins and many others do the same. I got back 4 generations with the limited knowledge that I and my parents had.

But documentation after this is difficult as things could have been destroyed and some information isn't online and you need to travel to these locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Just got my results earlier. Kind of as I expected. Irish with a sprinkling on British and Viking. ( You'll grab that 1% viking from my cold dead hands!)

Europe 99%

Ireland 94%
    Great Britain 2%
    Iberian Peninsula 1%
    Scandinavia 1%

West Asia < 1%
    Low Confidence Region
    Caucasus

Genetic Communities

Kerry
    Ulster Irish

Ancestry has given me 84 4th cousins and 1 possible ancestor link

How long does Gedmatch take to complete?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Gedmatch: usually overnight or 2 days at most.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement