Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-09-2016, 22:03   #31
pinkypinky

I'm just home after a day out and already thinking about what I'll tackle tonight. Such a nerd.
Advertisement
10-09-2016, 22:12   #32
L1011

I'm starting to wonder how all of you have so much more to look up - all I can think of are bigger families (my fathers side acted traditionally COI even if some generations were RC - often two/three kids max) or I really did spend FAR too much at the GRO in the past.

I did sometimes bring my mother and/or my partner in to break the daily limits. More than once.

Or you're working down far more than I do?
Thanks from:
10-09-2016, 22:17   #33
Hermy

I need staff for all the work I've made for myself!
10-09-2016, 22:23   #34
pinkypinky

I also worked the relative train but I have a full time job so my visits to the GRO are limited and so are my funds.

I'm also going over everything in my tree and making sure I have every possible cert now that I can.
11-09-2016, 00:00   #35
Jellybaby1

O.M.G. Searching for one family and just saw a marriage record not connected to me where the bride and groom had the same surname, living at different addresses, not unusual you might say, however their fathers have the same names too?? I'm gonna take it that the registrar made a mistake, and move on quickly!
Advertisement
11-09-2016, 00:07   #36
pinkypinky

I've found that there were two girls of roughly the same age in Dublin called Dorothy Walters, both had parents called George and Mary. And they grew up near each other but are totally unrelated.
Thanks from:
11-09-2016, 09:41   #37
Tullyneasky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybaby1 View Post
O.M.G. Searching for one family and just saw a marriage record not connected to me where the bride and groom had the same surname, living at different addresses, not unusual you might say, however their fathers have the same names too?? I'm gonna take it that the registrar made a mistake, and move on quickly!
It may not be a mistake, Jellybaby. I have a similar situation, where the bride and groom had the same rare surname and both fathers were called Denis (different occupations, though). Turned out they were cousins (church register showed dispensation). Both mothers were called Ellen, too! You won't believe what they called their children....
Thanks from:
11-09-2016, 11:07   #38
pedroeibar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
I'm starting to wonder how all of you have so much more to look up - all I can think of are bigger families.......Or you're working down far more than I do?
I’m in that position also – I’ve not much to follow-up on. For many of us I think the age /generation gap is important – my grandparents were born in the 1890’s, so it never was difficult to obtain info. on them – family knowledge, gravestone ages, etc. But most are not in the online GRO as most of their deaths are post 1965. Seven of my eight GGparents were born pre-1864, so GRO does not help on births. Researchers now in their twenties - thirties would have far more people in the GRO records.

Prior to the launch of the GRO online, I used CLDS and copied/saved the GRO references, refining them as more info became available, until I had it narrowed to 1 or 2. Knowing children’s birth dates put me on track for parents' marriages, and the NLI baptism microfilms provided the necessary info. The few of those GRO searches have now been done, I’ve left the GRO reference on file but not bothered to copy the certs., because ‘readers’ change whereas GRO references do not. (I have often saved NLI baptism s as .jpgs).

Where I had a few minor successes was on death certs – normally bereft of geno. information, one gave – as the informant - the married name of a first cousin 2 x removed (born 1890’s, daughter of my GGaunt) One other birth is eluding me, post 1915, but a death should be there so I've to work with just one half of the equation.....

But, do I really need this far out? Where does one stop? How much detail is enough?
Thanks from:
11-09-2016, 13:59   #39
KildareFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroeibar1 View Post

But, do I really need this far out? Where does one stop? How much detail is enough?
Never enough - I started collecting information on everyone with my surname in the general area where my great great grandfather was born. I have an excel spreadsheet with nearly 5000 names now. I've managed to find the links between various branches of the family by checking back on what seemed to be irrelevant information...

Another great grandparent was born on an island, and I'm busy setting up a database on all who were born there - they were all related to each other. Happy days.
Advertisement
11-09-2016, 16:13   #40
Jellybaby1

I really wish I'd created a good Excel spreadsheet. I used to use one and I unfortunately let it drift but I understand how useful it can be for cross referencing. Something to do in the winter of my life, which has more or less already begun.
11-09-2016, 17:24   #41
pinkypinky

I've really opened up my great-grandmother's family, who have a really common surname and a lot of children. I've finally figured out which of 9/17 children lived to adulthood and married most of them off, found the next generation.
11-09-2016, 23:54   #42
mod9maple

Through a birth record in 1866 I just discovered my great great grandparents were in Castleblayney Workhouse. Breaks my heart imagining such a thing. He was noted as being a pauper.
13-09-2016, 00:28   #43
Jellybaby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollymoo19 View Post
We may not do knighthoods, but you can vote to make her a rockstar
http://anglo-celtic-connections.blog...oting-now.html
http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/

John Grenham = Silver
Claire Santry = Bronze

"The "gold award-winners", Superstar Genealogists, will be posted tomorrow."
http://anglo-celtic-connections.blogspot.ie/
Thanks from:
13-09-2016, 08:13   #44
hjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybaby1 View Post
http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/

John Grenham = Silver
Claire Santry = Bronze

"The "gold award-winners", Superstar Genealogists, will be posted tomorrow."
http://anglo-celtic-connections.blogspot.ie/
Well deserved to both!

Now, how do we go about getting Boards.ie/Genealogy nominated for next year!
(3) thanks from:
13-09-2016, 09:15   #45
pinkypinky

Gold goes to Maurice Gleeson!

http://anglo-celtic-connections.blog...ealogists.html
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text