Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-06-2016, 14:57   #1
pinkypinky

Off topic: chat

I know there's not much going on the genealogy world but there's no reason we can't chat.

So this is a first for our board: an off topic chat thread. Please be nice!

So where's everyone gone these days? Are you all on summer holidays?

I'm not but I did just sit outside on freshly cut grass enjoying my lunch and my book (Ready Player One by Ernie Cline - love it!)
Advertisement
01-06-2016, 17:42   #2
Hermy

Pinky banned for off topic post!

I've been footing turf the past few days which has kept me away from my family tree.
Hot weather for it but there was a welcome breeze today.
(2) thanks from:
02-06-2016, 22:23   #3
pedroeibar1

Great idea for a thread but IMO it would be best to keep it somehow linked to a geno theme?

I'm been working on a work (non-geno) project, not an easy one, nearly there, missing the good weather, will get it off my desk in the morning, hopefully get out of town before the traffic gets frenetic and then 'enjoy' the w/end gardening "in the vastness of my country estate!" For me gardening is probably equally painful as having to read science fiction (no offence Pinky!)

I sent in a piece to the IGRS a while back for their "80 at 80" project - I had one 'on the stocks' which I adapted and sent off but that has prompted me to think about writing about an event in a collateral branch of my family involving a family rather than an individual. That needs to be done for posterity so it will occupy me for the autumn nights.
02-06-2016, 22:36   #4
pinkypinky

I've also submitted a story to the IGRS 80th archive. I chose my gg grandfather who had a 31 year army career.
Thanks from:
02-06-2016, 23:04   #5
pedroeibar1

I hope he was on active duty and not in the guardhouse! I hope it will be included - do you know what the response has been like to the call for articles?
Advertisement
03-06-2016, 09:27   #6
pinkypinky

Good response but we'd like more. People are generally positive about reading them but less proactive about writing them!!
Thanks from:
04-06-2016, 22:57   #7
pedroeibar1

Although it is early yet, the time passes very quickly! Any other Boardsies risen to the IGRS challenge?
07-06-2016, 21:49   #8
Thomas from Presence

I'm too obsessed with dead people to be bothered by holidays!
07-06-2016, 23:16   #9
spurious
Category Moderator

Maybe I will write about my 'twice baptised, twice married, outlived the husband, went to the US and damn near outlived everyone there too' great great grand-mother.
Advertisement
07-06-2016, 23:17   #10
L1011

I feel I should try write something on the two interesting tree entrants (one is not a blood ancestor, but the mother of a stepmother of a direct ancestor) that take up a lot of my time and that I've found a lot on; but I'm not sure I could make it interesting enough. I also need to fill in an RIC ancestors site survey for someone on here for one of them before I do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious View Post
Maybe I will write about my 'twice baptised, twice married, outlived the husband, went to the US and damn near outlived everyone there too' great great grand-mother.
If this was a few years later than now, and the potential subject lives a little longer, I have a potential "third wife outlives the first wife by 100 years" coming up, and its not even that scandalous age wise.

Last edited by L1011; 07-06-2016 at 23:20.
Thanks from:
08-06-2016, 09:32   #11
pinkypinky

Write all of these people up! They sound great.

Some tips: I fleshed out my gg-grandfather's story. I knew he was in the army so I looked at where his regiment went over time and what was happening in those places while he was there. Came away with a more rounded picture of him, and only wish I had a photo to accompany the biography. His army record gives a description which apparently included tattoos, but they fail to say of what!
Thanks from:
08-06-2016, 12:39   #12
pedroeibar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
I feel I should try write something on the two interesting tree entrants............
Keep Condition No.5 in mind .............
The work should focus upon the life story of ONE Irish-born ancestor or relative, with their provenance clearly stated. Please do not submit extended family histories as these will not be acceptable.
08-06-2016, 13:24   #13
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroeibar1 View Post
Keep Condition No.5 in mind .............
The work should focus upon the life story of ONE Irish-born ancestor or relative, with their provenance clearly stated. Please do not submit extended family histories as these will not be acceptable.
Separate essays would be required anyway, they never met!
Thanks from:
08-06-2016, 13:57   #14
pedroeibar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
.......... His army record gives a description which apparently included tattoos, but they fail to say of what!
I have a WW1 record that does give the tattoo description
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tattoo.jpg (31.4 KB, 40 views)
08-06-2016, 16:17   #15
pinkypinky

This guy was pre-WWI - I have also seen war records with tattoos described.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion