Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free CocaCola in pub

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Sure a tin a lilt costs about 25cent with the deals in the supermarkets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

rubadub wrote: »
    It would be very rare to see it for 2euro a bottle though. It is not just VAT anymore, there is the sugar levy/tax thing too.

4.10 in 200ml bottles works out 11.64 a pint. Or at least 3 bottles to fill a pint glass, I hate this idea that 2 bottles and a rake of watering down ice is "a pint".

If I owned a pub it would be cans of coke, or a cheaper version poured from a 2L bottle, maybe still get a 200ml incase some freak wants it, but charge accordingly, likely more than the can. Might even get some own brand stuff in. Cans are 37.5cent in tesco at the moment in multipacks. These likely state "from a mulitpack not for resale individually" on them. This has no legal bearing at all. So I would stock a few legit retail singular cans too and price them accordingly, so if I do get some whinger I can give them the expensive option that they insist upon.

What I can never understand is why publicans here don't use splash guns like the USA. No bother with bottles, better for the environment and no need to buy cheap rotten cola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Del2005 wrote: »
    What I can never understand is why publicans here don't use splash guns like the USA. No bother with bottles, better for the environment and no need to buy cheap rotten cola.
    Splash guns need gas, cooling and a water supply. Which means they're taking up a huge amount of space in a bar or they're taking up space in the beer lines. As well as that, the carbonation is very poor quality even if you do have a quality syrup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Water quality is 99% the reason, you need 100% consistant pressure and what happens if the water goes off for a few hours, which it does regularly. You are now using alot more which means bigger and more costly filtration systems, that are contracted by volume which of course is increasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Adyx wrote: »
    Splash guns need gas, cooling and a water supply. Which means they're taking up a huge amount of space in a bar or they're taking up space in the beer lines. As well as that, the carbonation is very poor quality even if you do have a quality syrup.

No they are not - a splash set up saves space- both on the shelves on bar by not having bottled Coke and in the store rooms. They also save a publican costs by not having the need for staff to stock shelves, take large deliveries of crates into store rooms or sort empty bottles back into their crates for collection. Publicans should realise how much effort goes into moving stock like this around the place compared to just having a couple of kegs in the cold room and gas outside it. Spash is far more efficient on labour and space than stocking individual bottles.

Plenty of pubs around the world use splash systems without problems. McDonalds have done it for decades now, Weatherspoons have it too. I doubt these companies use it if it isnt better than serving individual bottles which need to be stored, stocked and then sorted and then returned.

Both huge companies, smaller independent cannot implement such a system with huge outlay.

I love the way people assume they know best and obviously the people who have worked in the industry all their lives don't know anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Snotty wrote: »
    Both huge companies, smaller independent cannot implement such a system with huge outlay.

I love the way people assume they know best and obviously the people who have worked in the industry all their lives don't know anything.

Falling numbers actually going to their establishments attest to this in fairness.

Genius, love it :)

Snotty wrote: »

Of course they could, Ive seen lots of pubs with splash systems for soft drinks abroad, it is not rocket science and it saves a publican labour costs over serving individual bottles as they do now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

wasnt the vintners assoc one if the first to come out whining when the latest drink/drive limit was passed?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Of course they could, Ive seen lots of pubs with splash systems for soft drinks abroad, it is not rocket science and it saves a publican labour costs over serving individual bottles as they do now.

In fairness, you have no idea what you are talkng about. I worked in the industry for years, out of it now, we had a huge operation and I had a POC to implement a carbonated soda gun system in 3 bars, we couldn't do it due to the water quality, to compensate for that required €75k investment for each bar, this is completely separate to the actually system, that was just for a water storage and filtration system.
    But of course, you know better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I had a Pepsi which was from a splash gun and it was rotten.

It was in Weatherspoons in Dun Laoghaire.

Well now you are extrapolating your bad water problems to the whole country, that certainly isnt the case for everywhere. And if the water quality was so bad what were you serving customers who wanted a glass of water with their meal?

Advertisement