Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free CocaCola in pub

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Quite the distance you have to travel if you're in Cork :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,550 ✭✭✭✭zell12

There are five locations in Cork
    Desist from floccinaucinihilipilification

• Registered Users Posts: 23,310 ✭✭✭✭ted1

bazz26 wrote: »
    Coca Cola hardly need to increase advertisement of giving away stuff for free, they are probably one of the most recognised brands on the planet. Why have a hard push to give it away when they can sell it anyway? This is probably more favourable to certain pubs whose trade is down because of drink driving laws. Look at the participation map, towns and cities where public transport is available outside the door are almost non existent. This is a marketing exercise more for the publicans than Coca Cola, to get people into pubs spending money on booze, giving a designated driver a free soft drink is an attempt at bringing their friends to the pub that may have stayed at home rather than risk drink driving.
    I’m sure coke would find this true their CSR fund assuming they have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Not surprised by the low take up on this by bars. Pre-internet being a popular thing the bars I worked in were happy to take the few free cases and then never offer the promotion. Probably told now their name was going on a website.
    Heck the bar I work in (in a county totally unrepresented on the site) has a car park where cars are clamped if left over night. So if you pop in for some food and a drink but end up having two or three you have the option of driving over the limit, a 120 euro fee the next day, or finding some other way to get your car home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

0PWbqSS.pngWhere is County Offlay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

pubs should be shamed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,123 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Seems like for Irish pubs every day is like Moe's on St Patricks Day:

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

You have a few options if you visit Derry / Londonderry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

The thread title is misleading.

People are thinking they are getting free Coca Cola for the night when its aimed at designated drivers.

Maybe thats why pubs are reluctant to give out free bottles.

Its not a bargain for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Wexy86

My families pub has done this for the last decade, this was the first year the coke rep didn’t mention it or try push it. Normally if you order over a certain amount of stock for Christmas coke throw in x free crates, never in all the years has the take up rate been more than what you were given in addition to the order so its never cost the publican any money to do it. We’re just doing own own designated driver mineral promotion this year without coke leading, ruralish pub so wouldn’t get people taking the piss for mixers but can see how it could happen in towns and cities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

I'd be too embarrassed to use this when ordering with a pint for myself. Prefer to just get ripped off by the 3euro for a coke

• Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Skerries wrote: »
    4 bars and they spelled The Watermill wrong

nah it's what you say when you ask for the drink...

"Water.... I'll (get my coat)"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Zaph wrote: »
    I'm not sure why people are slagging off Coca Cola, surely it's the greedy publicans who are at fault? Coca Cola can't force a pub to join the promotion, but I'd guess that many publicans don't want to get involved with something that a) involves giving away something for nothing, even if they will be reimbursed for it; and b) potentially reduces the number of customers buying alcohol, especially at this time of the year. The concept of social responsibility probably has never occurred to most of them. The ironic thing is that they'd probably sell more alcohol if a group knew they had a guaranteed safe lift home as this might persuade them to stay for an extra drink or two.
    It's always the greedy publicans fault...

Strange however, that Coca Cola haven't even mentioned anything about this promotion to us. What I don't understand from your post is why a group can't organise their own safe lift home without this promotion? Maybe your guess is a load of crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Well said Zaph.
    Publicans simply won’t join the coke deal because if they sell a coke they paid about 40c and retail it for about €2. If they take part in this offer then Coke replace the coke they’ve given out free with another bottle of coke and so they lose their €1.60 margin.

Incredibly shortsighted when you think how many extra drinkers would accompany the person getting the free soft drink!

take into account 23% of every including soft drinks goes to the government on vat! So it’s far from €1.60 profit to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

heffoo wrote: »
    So it’s far from €1.60 profit to be fair
    It would be very rare to see it for 2euro a bottle though. It is not just VAT anymore, there is the sugar levy/tax thing too.
    alane20 wrote: »
    A bit off topic but i was in 3arena last night, it was my turn for designated driver, i think it was 4.10 for a bottle of coke, dirty robbing ****es,
    4.10 in 200ml bottles works out 11.64 a pint. Or at least 3 bottles to fill a pint glass, I hate this idea that 2 bottles and a rake of watering down ice is "a pint".

If I owned a pub it would be cans of coke, or a cheaper version poured from a 2L bottle, maybe still get a 200ml incase some freak wants it, but charge accordingly, likely more than the can. Might even get some own brand stuff in. Cans are 37.5cent in tesco at the moment in multipacks. These likely state "from a mulitpack not for resale individually" on them. This has no legal bearing at all. So I would stock a few legit retail singular cans too and price them accordingly, so if I do get some whinger I can give them the expensive option that they insist upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

When I was 17 I went to a pub somewhere in town with a few mates, it might have been the Portobello, but I can't remember. I was a very sheltered kid.

I had a really bad fake ID and didn't want to risk it because I was bricking I'd get the rest of the lads kicked out. But I wanted an excuse to as not raise suspicion. So when the bartender asked what I wanted to drink I panicked and said I wasn't drinking because I was designated driver. She goes "seriously" and asked what car I drove, then gave me a free coke. I was absolutely chuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

rubadub wrote: »
    It would be very rare to see it for 2euro a bottle though. It is not just VAT anymore, there is the sugar levy/tax thing too.

4.10 in 200ml bottles works out 11.64 a pint. Or at least 3 bottles to fill a pint glass, I hate this idea that 2 bottles and a rake of watering down ice is "a pint".

If I owned a pub it would be cans of coke, or a cheaper version poured from a 2L bottle, maybe still get a 200ml incase some freak wants it, but charge accordingly, likely more than the can. Might even get some own brand stuff in. Cans are 37.5cent in tesco at the moment in multipacks. These likely state "from a mulitpack not for resale individually" on them. This has no legal bearing at all. So I would stock a few legit retail singular cans too and price them accordingly, so if I do get some whinger I can give them the expensive option that they insist upon.

Ever see the Simpson episode where Homer designs the car? Your pub would be a similar design.

Coke did a really poor job at this but it takes groups like the VFI and others to make something like this a success, publicans to a lesser extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

mikeym wrote:
    And the pubs make money off the empty bottles.

No we don't. They're non returnable, as are 90% of products now. I have a bar in Cork and we were not approached about this, heard nothing about it and I'd say neither did anyone else nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

In fairness to publicans this year Coca Cola have a very bad offer to get this you have to buy so many Fanta/sprite coke/Diet Coke and water and fruice and a few other bits and then you be lucky to get less than 100 free bottles of Diet Coke won’t make it ordinary coke because of the sugar tax, most bars would not be able to justify getting the offer as a lot of the stuff you are left with.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Dave147 wrote: »
    No we don't. They're non returnable, as are 90% of products now. I have a bar in Cork and we were not approached about this, heard nothing about it and I'd say neither did anyone else nearby.
    Just another myth here but nobody makes money from empty’s even when they where returnable as they where on deposit so they’re all paid for on delivery and refunded on collection.
    Sorry quoted your post accidentally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Sure a tin a lilt costs about 25cent with the deals in the supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

rubadub wrote: »

What I can never understand is why publicans here don't use splash guns like the USA. No bother with bottles, better for the environment and no need to buy cheap rotten cola.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Del2005 wrote: »
    What I can never understand is why publicans here don't use splash guns like the USA. No bother with bottles, better for the environment and no need to buy cheap rotten cola.
    Splash guns need gas, cooling and a water supply. Which means they're taking up a huge amount of space in a bar or they're taking up space in the beer lines. As well as that, the carbonation is very poor quality even if you do have a quality syrup.

Del2005 wrote: »

Water quality is 99% the reason, you need 100% consistant pressure and what happens if the water goes off for a few hours, which it does regularly. You are now using alot more which means bigger and more costly filtration systems, that are contracted by volume which of course is increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Adyx wrote: »
    Splash guns need gas, cooling and a water supply. Which means they're taking up a huge amount of space in a bar or they're taking up space in the beer lines. As well as that, the carbonation is very poor quality even if you do have a quality syrup.

No they are not - a splash set up saves space- both on the shelves on bar by not having bottled Coke and in the store rooms. They also save a publican costs by not having the need for staff to stock shelves, take large deliveries of crates into store rooms or sort empty bottles back into their crates for collection. Publicans should realise how much effort goes into moving stock like this around the place compared to just having a couple of kegs in the cold room and gas outside it. Spash is far more efficient on labour and space than stocking individual bottles.

Plenty of pubs around the world use splash systems without problems. McDonalds have done it for decades now, Weatherspoons have it too. I doubt these companies use it if it isnt better than serving individual bottles which need to be stored, stocked and then sorted and then returned.

Both huge companies, smaller independent cannot implement such a system with huge outlay.

I love the way people assume they know best and obviously the people who have worked in the industry all their lives don't know anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Snotty wrote: »
    Both huge companies, smaller independent cannot implement such a system with huge outlay.

I love the way people assume they know best and obviously the people who have worked in the industry all their lives don't know anything.

Falling numbers actually going to their establishments attest to this in fairness.

Genius, love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Snotty wrote: »

Of course they could, Ive seen lots of pubs with splash systems for soft drinks abroad, it is not rocket science and it saves a publican labour costs over serving individual bottles as they do now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

wasnt the vintners assoc one if the first to come out whining when the latest drink/drive limit was passed?

Advertisement