Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free CocaCola in pub

Options
  • 02-12-2018 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭

Get a free Coke drink in selected pubs this December.
    Alternatively request your Free Drinks Vouchers from a member of bar or waiting staff when you arrive at one of the participating venues.
    h5cm9qq.jpg?1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭893bet

Disappointing amount of venues!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

893bet wrote: »
    Disappointing amount of venues!

That’s actually shocking!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I might go have a few pints and then head to one of the 4 (!!) Venues in Dublin and get my coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

That is just pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Well that was poorly executed.

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote: »
    I might go have a few pints and then head to one of the 4 (!!) Venues in Dublin and get my coke.

At least you don’t have to travel half way across the country like some of us poor souls outside of Dublin :D

It’s a good idea but you would think that after 14 years it would be really after taking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

You'd want to be locked anyway to even think about going into some of those places!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

That is just a pathetic promotion.

Who ever the marketing person is should be fired.

Good for all those that ARE participating I hope it does work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

4 bars in Dublin! :confused:
    How to make a dogs dinner of a good offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Coca Cola should be embarrassed at what has to be the worst marketing campaign ever
    Not even every county represented

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,327 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

4 bars and they spelled The Watermill wrong

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm not sure why people are slagging off Coca Cola, surely it's the greedy publicans who are at fault? Coca Cola can't force a pub to join the promotion, but I'd guess that many publicans don't want to get involved with something that a) involves giving away something for nothing, even if they will be reimbursed for it; and b) potentially reduces the number of customers buying alcohol, especially at this time of the year. The concept of social responsibility probably has never occurred to most of them. The ironic thing is that they'd probably sell more alcohol if a group knew they had a guaranteed safe lift home as this might persuade them to stay for an extra drink or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

A pint of coke costs more than a pint of beer.

Thanks to the government and their sugar tax.

More should be done to give recognition to designated drivers.

And the pubs make money off the empty bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Zaph wrote: »
    I'm not sure why people are slagging off Coca Cola, surely it's the greedy publicans who are at fault? Coca Cola can't force a pub to join the promotion, but I'd guess that many publicans don't want to get involved with something that a) involves giving away something for nothing, even if they will be reimbursed for it; and b) potentially reduces the number of customers buying alcohol, especially at this time of the year. The concept of social responsibility probably has never occurred to most of them. The ironic thing is that they'd probably sell more alcohol if a group knew they had a guaranteed safe lift home as this might persuade them to stay for an extra drink or two.

Must be the fault of people drinking at home and off licences somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭alane20

A bit off topic but i was in 3arena last night, it was my turn for designated driver, i think it was 4.10 for a bottle of coke, dirty robbing ****es,

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Plenty of margin in selling soft drinks in pubs, probably more than in booze. So I can see why publicans and CocaCola wouldn't be enthusiastic about pushing this promotion more nationwide.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Plenty of margin in selling soft drinks in pubs, probably more than in booze. So I can see why publicans and CocaCola wouldn't be enthusiastic about pushing this promotion more nationwide.

But it’s Coca Cola’s concept.... why wouldn’t they want to push it to increase advertisement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

We used to run this in a hotel I worked in, it was rural and just run by ourselves. Same people always took advantage of it and in the end the only people using the vouchers were getting the soft drink as a mixer for someone else, we stopped it then. Brought in a free taxi instead.

Wonder will Heineken do something similar for Heineken 0%, now that would work

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

okidoki987 wrote: »
    4 bars in Dublin! :confused:
    How to make a dogs dinner of a good offer.

3 bars and 1 hotel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Snotty wrote: »
    We used to run this in a hotel I worked in, it was rural and just run by ourselves. Same people always took advantage of it and in the end the only people using the vouchers were getting the soft drink as a mixer for someone else, we stopped it then. Brought in a free taxi instead.

I’m assuming the hotel got the drink free from coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

But it’s Coca Cola’s concept.... why wouldn’t they want to push it to increase advertisement?

Coca Cola hardly need to increase advertisement of giving away stuff for free, they are probably one of the most recognised brands on the planet. Why have a hard push to give it away when they can sell it anyway? This is probably more favourable to certain pubs whose trade is down because of drink driving laws. Look at the participation map, towns and cities where public transport is available outside the door are almost non existent. This is a marketing exercise more for the publicans than Coca Cola, to get people into pubs spending money on booze, giving a designated driver a free soft drink is an attempt at bringing their friends to the pub that may have stayed at home rather than risk drink driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Zaph wrote: »

Well said Zaph.
    Publicans simply won’t join the coke deal because if they sell a coke they paid about 40c and retail it for about €2. If they take part in this offer then Coke replace the coke they’ve given out free with another bottle of coke and so they lose their €1.60 margin.

Incredibly shortsighted when you think how many extra drinkers would accompany the person getting the free soft drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Coke don't make as much profit as the publican from coke. A pint of coke costs more than a pint of beer and there's less taxes on soda so the coke makes more profit for the publican.

Don't know why this is a promotion. Anytime we are out drinking and someone is driving they don't put their hand in their pocket, it's the least the drinkers can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

mikeym wrote: »

Well that's simply not true. Soft drinks have long been more expensive in bars than beer, well before a sugar tax was dreamed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

A mineral cost more before the sugar tax so not the governments fault this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

ted1 wrote: »
    I’m assuming the hotel got the drink free from coke.

No, it wasn't a coke promotion, we just did it ourselves to get more people in, a bottle of coke was 40c (5-6 years ago), wasn't any large cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

A pint of coke cost more than a pint of beer looooong before any govt levy on sugar tbh.

And the sad thing is, apparently the publicans get all their little Coca-Cola glass bottle mixers free from the brewery companies.

Nice little earner if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Start a rumor on t'internet. Yeah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭893bet

A pint of coke cost more than a pint of beer looooong before any govt levy on sugar tbh.

And the sad thing is, apparently the publicans get all their little Coca-Cola glass bottle mixers free from the brewery companies.

Nice little earner if true.

Not true though.

Advertisement