Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumors, Gossip, Transfers etc 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

In terms of what the Championship club pay in wages around 350k a year is on the lower side of things.

Plenty of players have been over 24 and still left the league for a fee. I'm not saying it's any reflection on my opinion of Towell, which is high. The fact is if English championship clubs desperately sought Towell they would have offered him a contract last winter when he went on trial or paid a fee last summer in order to get ahead of other clubs.

Clubs wanted to see how he'd do for another season perhaps. He's just joined the Championship leaders, I would say that would mean a fair few other clubs missed out on him. What's this 'desperately' stuff about? Just because a player isn't signed after a few games of playing good doesn't mean they might not have a strong interest in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

The fact is if English championship clubs desperately sought Towell...
    Who said anything about "desperately"?

Regardless, it's quite possible he was approached by clubs before now and turned down the offers to see out the season with Dundalk. It's fairly common knowledge that there have been a number of clubs from around Europe showing an interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I never said that. Go on have a look for it. What I said was he could expect to play at league one level now. Are you telling me you expect him to pull on a Brighton jersey and away he goes?
    He'll be looking to get some game time this year and give Hughton something to think about and hopefully increase his game time gradually.

You said it looked as though he would have to start in the lower leagues and work his way up. This was wrong.
    Poor endictment of the league as a whole this one. He went over last year looking for a championship club and there were no bites.
    Now the best that has come up is a league 2 club that are saying they'd be interested but they haven't bothered to send anyone over to scout him yet.
    It's looking like if he wants to play in England he'll have to start in lower league and work his way up. Says alot about what they think about LOI too. I think some people got carried away with Long, Mcclean and Coleman stories.

Originally you're argument was he is not good enough for championship level as no championship club had come in for him. Now a championship club has come in for him and you're changing your argument saying he won't play with them.

Forrester was in a similar situation with having a young family and he had to take a punt on peterborough as no championship club wanted him. I feel Towell will have to do likewise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Dylan McGlade going to Pats..... bit of a let down considering he was hyping up that he was going to Wigan.

Not convinced that's the right move for anyone involved. Hugely talented but was very hit or miss for us in terms of end product. Wigan would have a proper academy and much better coaching setup than any LOI club so I can kinda see him going to Pats, not being able to break into their starting lineup and stagnating a little.

Another year of first team football probably would have benefitted him a lot more because he doesn't seem capable yet of going on to be a key player in the Premier Division just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

CSF wrote: »
    Not convinced that's the right move for anyone involved. Hugely talented but was very hit or miss for us in terms of end product. Wigan would have a proper academy and much better coaching setup than any LOI club so I can kinda see him going to Pats, not being able to break into their starting lineup and stagnating a little.

Another year of first team football probably would have benefitted him a lot more because he doesn't seem capable yet of going on to be a key player in the Premier Division just yet.

What position does he play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Think it is a good move for the lad. Great talent and I think his consistency will improve as he matures. Will only be twenty in new year. If he can get around 20 appearances would be a decent year. Pats seem to be giving youngsters a chance. McGrath made a decent amount of appearances.

A move to a mid to lower level Premier side would be ideal but think he might manage around 20 games for Pats be decent awell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Horgan has re-signed with Dundalk. Very important signing after losing Towell.

monkey9 wrote: »
    What position does he play?

Anywhere in the 3 behind the striker really. Very technically gifted, sometimes to the point of trying too much pretty even when the simple option was there, but a joy to watch when it comes off. Not a huge amount by way of end product yet hence my comments above.

If developed correctly he will be quality, but while Desmond and Connolly were ready to leave because they'd already shown themselves to be too good for the First Division I think McGlade should stick around with Doherty who has nurtured him this far. Probably no better place for a young player to be if they want ton improve themselves in the LOI at this stage than us and this includes UCD.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Think it is a good move for the lad. Great talent and I think his consistency will improve as he matures. Will only be twenty in new year. If he can get around 20 appearances would be a decent year. Pats seem to be giving youngsters a chance. McGrath made a decent amount of appearances.

A move to a mid to lower level Premier side would be ideal but think he might manage around 20 games for Pats be decent awell
    20 starts? In the league? Don't see that at all if their current attacking options are sticking around.

20 starts? In the league? Don't see that at all if their current attacking options are sticking around.
    20 appearances in all competitions, could be a good impact sub late on against tired defences

• Advertisement

20 appearances in all competitions.

Yeah that's not what's best for his individual development. He may earn a few extra quid, but he won't be in any better a youth system and won't be getting the first team football he'd need to push on.

When you've only a few months of first team football (about 20 starts total) to speak of literally anywhere, it's nuts to go shaking things up by moving so soon unless he'd be going to somewhere with a proper academy that could take him to the next level, namely England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Dundalk re-sign Horgan while we re-sign Ian Turner.

If he is even in €1 a week it is €1 wasted.

gimmick wrote: »

You're being linked with Dylan Connolly though who IMO will be better than Horgan

Can't say I've heard of him. Who is he? Position etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Very ott reaction. Turner will be a fantastic squad option, I was actually a bit pissed off when we let him go in the first place but he needed game time and Limerick obliged. Im sure Limerick fans will tell you he's upped his handy-ness the last year, won POTM for October aswell.

Can't say I've heard of him. Who is he? Position etc?

Was with us the season before last. Nominated for Young Player of the Year not just for the First Division but the whole LOI. Class act. Plays as a wide striker on the right. Went off to Ipswich at the end of last season but seems to be coming home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Connolly was brilliant for Shels in 2014.

Connolly would be a brillant signing for Dundalk. Think it could be a very good move for him on loan. Could develop alot under Stephen Kenny. Would agree also that he can be better than Horgan

CHealy wrote: »
    Very ott reaction. Turner will be a fantastic squad option, I was actually a bit pissed off when we let him go in the first place but he needed game time and Limerick obliged. Im sure Limerick fans will tell you he's upped his handy-ness the last year, won POTM for October aswell.

Couldn't disagree more. Always found him lazy and uncommitted. Wouldn't go near a 60/40 much less a 50/50. Didn't know how to track back either. Thought he was very poor in the first division and out of his depth in the premier. I hope he is the back ups back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

CHealy wrote: »

Turner is the epitome of a meh signing. He couldnt hold down a place under a few managers and was consistently braindead tactically, Dunleavy was doing the work of 2 men in that respect a lot of the time. Need to start adding actually quality to the starting lineup rather than padding out the squad, this is such an obvious and easy signing.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Turner is the epitome of a meh signing. He couldnt hold down a place under a few managers and was consistently braindead tactically, Dunleavy was doing the work of 2 men in that respect a lot of the time. Need to start adding actually quality to the starting lineup rather than padding out the squad, this is such an obvious and easy signing.

We should only be in for guys who will strengthen the first team not guy who weaken the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

The difference in Ian Turner in the last third of the season was frightening. He was unplayable at times. This was a marked transformation from the guy who'd mostly flattered to deceive for over a season and a half before that. If he carries his most recent form back down to Cork with him he'll be worth a starting place, never mind a bench one. Could go either way though.

Couldn't disagree more. Always found him lazy and uncommitted. Wouldn't go near a 60/40 much less a 50/50. Didn't know how to track back either. Thought he was very poor in the first division and out of his depth in the premier. I hope he is the back ups back up.
    Corholio wrote: »

I obviously see more in him than ye, must be my Football Manager experience. Will be interesting to see what happens, I really think he can push on.

I will say though, this is far from the "leaders" and "top quality" signings JC was talking about a few weeks back. We still need a quality striker just to name one, bar Bolger, its been dead so far.

Iv seen Turner alot for Limerick. He is a decent Premier player but not a good signing for Cork, too one dimensional cant see him starting ahead of Beattie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

The difference in Ian Turner in the last third of the season was frightening. He was unplayable at times. This was a marked transformation from the guy who'd mostly flattered to deceive for over a season and a half before that. If he carries his most recent form back down to Cork with him he'll be worth a starting place, never mind a bench one. Could go either way though.

Turner seemed to like the style of play Russell implemented at Limerick. Playing out from the back and playing the ball on the ground. If Caulfield changes Cork's playing style he could be a decent addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Was with us the season before last. Nominated for Young Player of the Year not just for the First Division but the whole LOI. Class act. Plays as a wide striker on the right. Went off to Ipswich at the end of last season but seems to be coming home.

Connollys missus due in a few months afaik so most likely he'll be moving back to Ireland on loan at least I'd imagine for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

If he signed he would the 1st sub for our front 3.

Assuming its McGrath Fagan Timlin

dreamers75 wrote: »
    If he signed he would the 1st sub for our front 3.

Assuming its McGrath Fagan Timlin
    Where is Conan Byrne off to?

Connollys missus due in a few months afaik so most likely he'll be moving back to Ireland on loan at least I'd imagine for the season.
    If he comes back over here for that reason, I'd say it is very unlikely he will be back over there unfortunately. Hope he sticks it out there...........or becomes charitable and comes on loan to us.

• Advertisement

Where is Conan Byrne off to?

No idea, hasnt been signed by us. Was offered a deal from us and Bohs I believe.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    No idea, hasnt been signed by us. Was offered a deal from us and Bohs I believe.

Interesting, hadn't really seen him leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Interesting, hadn't really seen him leaving.

He wasn't great last season compared to his usual standards. I'd hate to see him leave though. He can still recapture his old form. He's a super player, a great outlet on the right side.

The Football Association of Ireland and TRACKCHAMP are pleased to announce a ground-breaking partnership which will see every SSE Airtricity League game live-streamed, outside Ireland, from the start of the 2016 season.

The deal, which will run for an initial four years and has been internationally benchmarked throughout the tender process, establishes TRACKCHAMP as the official video and data partner of Irish football.

TRACKCHAMP will provide an additional source of revenue for the FAI, while improving engagement and performance within the SSE Airtricity League. Up to 15 jobs are expected to be created across the country to maintain TRACKCHAMP as the ultimate data tool to assist in the improvement of performance, on the pitch and in the boardroom.

Throughout next season more than 250 SSE Airtricity League games will be streamed live online, providing global reach, brand awareness and visibility for the League, clubs and its players.

Welcoming the partnership with TRACKCHAMP, John Delaney, CEO with the FAI said: "We are constantly striving to improve the SSE Airtricity League. The introduction of exciting new technologies which will increase global reach and will allow clubs to gather increased technological analysis can only be good for the national game."

Martin Fureder of TRACKCHAMP said: "For us, this is about the democratisation of football. TRACKCHAMP is designed specifically for the ambitious leagues to help bring them closer to the likes of the Premier League and Bundesliga. We are confident that our technology will widen fan engagement and generate new commercial revenue streams for our partner leagues."

The FAI were supported by Steven Burton, Head of Sports Data & Integrity at Coachman's LLP.

About TRACKCHAMP
    TRACKCHAMP is a joint venture between CHYRONHEGO, the world leader in real-time tracking technologies and bwin.party digital entertainment, the global online gaming company which is listed on the London Stock Exchange. They have brought the best of both experiences together to enable a new way of capturing sports and to provide League and Federations with a platform to boost exposure, player performance, and to create revenue streams.

TRACKCHAMP's many unique features include live-streaming, data collection and video analysis, which will provide a plethora of stats and data to give a substantially more in-depth overview of Irish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Holy f*ck. They actually did something good :eek::eek::eek:

http://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai-signs-up-trackchamp-as-video-and-data-partner

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

TRACKCHAMP will provide an additional source of revenue for the FAI

Safe to assume the clubs will see none of this so

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Will the clubs see any money from this directly?

There's no way they'd get away with that, especially with clubs starting to complain about not getting any TV money.

This is a godsend for me. I can't get to away games, apart from Harps this year. I get out of work too late to get anywhere else in time. I can watch all the Rovers away games live now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

My sentiments exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The Football Association of Ireland and TRACKCHAMP are pleased to announce a ground-breaking partnership which will see every SSE Airtricity League game live-streamed, outside Ireland, from the start of the 2016 season.

So no use to those of us not abroad?

What platform do this crowd use? Is it a Bet365 setup where you have to be signed up and betting to view a crap stream or is it something normal?

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Use a VPN should be able to find a way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I'm sure you'll find a way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

This is only for outside of Ireland.

This is only for outside of Ireland.

VPNs cost about €2 per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

That's bloody fantastic. I'm in shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

This is unbelievable news. That's pretty much every single LoI game broadcasted week in, week out. This was one of the suggestions in the Conroy Report, as put forward by some of the fans. So it's good to see that: 1) the FAI are listening somewhat to the fans and 2) some bit of the report has been implemented.

The clubs may still get something from it. Unlike the domestic deal, each individual club withheld their own international TV rights. So, I believe that they would been fully within their rights to prevent this deal if they weren't happy with the terms. Which means that it's likely that they either got something from it or else accepted no direct payments, as they were happy with the fringe benefits that it will bring (extra exposure, greater sponsorship potential etc.)

They won't be streamed domestically, because of the existing domestic rights deal with RTÉ. But that's probably okay, as well, because we don't want it to impact on match-going attendances, much like the way the UK have the Saturday 3pm blackout.

This is the quality of the IL's streaming coverage (which also use Trackchamp), so we'll probably be seeing something similar.

Defiantly very good news. Don't see how some people are trying to put a negative angle on it. It will help clubs attracts sponsors in the long term and im sure clubs will benefit financially from the deal

Mars Bar wrote: »

No cos they can actually go to the matches?

I would be against any streaming that allows say Cork fans to watch an away game vs us without Pats getting paid.

This could be a very good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The nordies have this in for the last few years. I think they got 500k in a one off payment between 12 clubs. After that it's small money between each of them.
    Good for exposure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Delighted with this. A good opportunity for me to see all matches, as it hasn't been the case since moving to Cork. I assume a proxy will work if it's not for Irish residents?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement