Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Windows 7 to 10 for free (still works)

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Can windows 8 be upgraded for free?

Yep.. the product key should be embedded in the chipset (if it came preinstalled with W8) so if you upgrade or install 10 cleanly it should pick up that key and activate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

SickBoy wrote: »
    It will

Unless you are doing a clean install i.e. you remove 7 and load 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Unless you are doing a clean install i.e. you remove 7 and load 10?

That's not an upgrade though.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Upgrade first and then later do a fresh install. If the upgrade does not work it will tell you why. At least that way you will know if you key is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just buy a Windows 10 key on ebay for less than €5. Go for a seller with lots of good feedback if you aren't sure. It's not illegal but the keys are usually not meant for consumer/retail so potentially could be 'deactivated' in the future. If that did happen you could just buy again or use Windows 10 with the watermark which isn't that intrusive. People have been doing it for years since Windows 10 came out and Microsoft don't seem to care, the thinking is that they are happy as long as people are using their OS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Just buy a Windows 10 key on ebay for less than €5. Go for a seller with lots of good feedback if you aren't sure. It's not illegal but the keys are usually not meant for consumer/retail so potentially could be 'deactivated' in the future. If that did happen you could just buy again or use Windows 10 with the watermark which isn't that intrusive. People have been doing it for years since Windows 10 came out and Microsoft don't seem to care, the thinking is that they are happy as long as people are using their OS.

That's very true, ms certainly aren't as bad as they used to be about the activation lark. X.P. was unusable if there were activation problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Yeah, since they started following Android and iOS's lead, collecting data etc.. The price of the OS doesn't seem their priority anymore. I've often seen keys go for €1 or €2 on ebay.de or rakuten etc.. with English.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Ello :) Just did a clown clean Windows 7 install, oem key not working. If I buy a W7 key, would it be a straightforward upgrade to W10 then? Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

Liamalone wrote: »
    Ello :) Just did a clown clean Windows 7 install, oem key not working. If I buy a W7 key, would it be a straightforward upgrade to W10 then? Ta

You won't be able to buy a Win 7 key.
    Why not buy a Win 10 key instead?
    Do a fresh install - doesn't take long at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

wandererz wrote: »
    You won't be able to buy a Win 7 key.
    Why not buy a Win 10 key instead?
    Do a fresh install - doesn't take long at all.

Fresh install failed thrice, and left a boot option despite failing. After trying three times it gave me three boot options, all failed W10 ( "

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I got a Windows 7 machine updated without issue thanks lads.

Advertisement