Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When's calving starting 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

squinn2912 wrote: »
    My God that’s unreal bad form there. I hate twins nothin but hardship

Twins done right are usually your most profitable cow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Twins done right are usually your most profitable cow

Don’t agree with that pal. Very hard on the cow even when they do live. Often she favours one. Can cause issues going back in calf. Goes wrong too often to be hoping for it. Far safer with one good calf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,824 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Twins are a disaster. The cow puts everything into them and she falls apart. Feet are the big problem. Hate twins

whelan2 wrote: »
    Twins are a disaster. The cow puts everything into them and she falls apart. Feet are the big problem. Hate twins

Totally agree. I dont really think you can do them right. You can be lucky if she has enough milk to feed them and keep herself right. Ive a wee Sim heifer I bought last year and she had twins in autumn time. They’re doing well and weighed 180/200 kgs lately & she’s back in calf but it’s taken a lot of effort and even at that both calves just had to pick up hurts on their feet, bull will be left with it. That’s the best twins have gone in a while, more often than not we lose one.

Anyhow that’s my rant on twins done. Nothing calving tonight and a quiet shed, thanks be to Almighty God!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

and we're off, first one born on the slats this evening. Not due for another week.

Twins, bull and heifer, heifer born on slats, bull born with a slight pull. She slow to drink, him very lively. Thawed biestings and stomach tubed both, split 3 litres between them. They are settled and another cow has been moved to the calving shed with the blister out. Hopefully she will settle, pacing at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Twins, bull and heifer, heifer born on slats, bull born with a slight pull. She slow to drink, him very lively. Thawed biestings and stomach tubed both, split 3 litres between them. They are settled and another cow has been moved to the calving shed with the blister out. Hopefully she will settle, pacing at the moment.

Just back in from a calving.... Mother of God its wet!!!!

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Just back in from a calving.... Mother of God its wet!!!!

same here, she had a nice heifer calf - eager to suck but cow wouldn't stand still - had to stall her.

A cup of tea and off to bed. Hope they all behave until morning.

First if all, twins are a bad job in dairy ciws. Twins are not the same as a single and shouldn't be treated the same as a cow carrying a single , fairly obvious, a few kg of nuts help keep the condition. Ive had far more trouble with big single calves than twin calves,

• Advertisement

First if all, twins are a bad job in dairy ciws. Twins are not the same as a single and shouldn't be treated the same as a cow carrying a single , fairly obvious, a few kg of nuts help keep the condition. Ive had far more trouble with big single calves than twin calves,

It's not as bad if you know they are carrying twins you can look after them but the ones that surprise you can melt away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭emaherx

Struggling here with one of the twins born earlier in the week. Haven't had great luck with twins in the last few years.

Last year with one cow, the small twin died and she refused to take to the big one. I ended up fostering the calf on to another cow.

Definitely not a fan of twins, beyond look good for the photo album.

Another cow calved yesterday with a decent sized lively bull calf, gave her a little assistance but not much.

whelan2 wrote: »
    It's not as bad if you know they are carrying twins you can look after them but the ones that surprise you can melt away

Uf you see them getting thin , start feeding then extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

2 more today big pulls with the jack, needed vet with one as couldn't keep the head coming right... but 2 live calves and cows so we'll take that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Dozer1 wrote: »
    2 more today big pulls with the jack, needed vet with one as couldn't keep the head coming right... but 2 live calves and cows so we'll take that

Are they out of the charolais dozer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭jfh

Ive a cow that has calved her third set of twins in 3 years, she's had 6 calves in 3 years & she's only 5 yrs old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Would ye take notice of bloody slime hanging out of the cow most of the day? She’s springing away but probably a week out from her date. Chewing the cud all day. I would reckon she’s getting close.

emaherx wrote: »
    Struggling here with one of the twins born earlier in the week. Haven't had great luck with twins in the last few years.

Last year with one cow, the small twin died and she refused to take to the big one. I ended up fostering the calf on to another cow.

Definitely not a fan of twins, beyond look good for the photo album.

Another cow calved yesterday with a decent sized lively bull calf, gave her a little assistance but not much.

Same thing happened here. Another one took joint ill and the cow rejected the other calf. There’s one had 2 sets of live twins and A dead one last week. Hers that worked out were put on cows that lost their calves. I think it’s unwinnable.

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Would ye take notice of bloody slime hanging out of the cow most of the day? She’s springing away but probably a week out from her date. Chewing the cud all day. I would reckon she’s getting close.

I wouldn’t like that there’s blood in it. Hope she works out

They sure are limestone to be fair there just really tall like their sire and my old lad refuses to stop pushing on the feed so we've had words again

I've had thicker boned CH calves just a few factors making these ones tough calvings both sucked this evening and got up then. 2 more for the weekend due

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Just strapped on bicycle lights from Aldi or Lidl onto the tails of 2 cows. They have an elasticated strap which was easy to strap to the cows. The cows are easily spotted now on the calving cameras. I can monitor them better now before putting them into the maternity ward if needs be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Just strapped on bicycle lights from Aldi or Lidl onto the tails of 2 cows. They have an elasticated strap which was easy to strap to the cows. The cows are easily spotted now on the calving cameras. I can monitor them better now before putting them into the maternity ward if needs be.

Neighbours will be talking now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

Moocall lights :pac:

If I did that another cow would eat the light, choke on it and drop dead.

Some smart switches to turn on the shed lights remotely are a great job if you want a better view from the CCTV cameras.

Camera quality must not be great? Ours can read a tag at the top end of the shed. Clearer even in the dark

emaherx wrote: »
    Some smart switches to turn on the shed lights remotely are a great job if you want a better view from the CCTV cameras.

Lights are left on at nighttime for a better view. I have 5 different sections in the sheds which are covered by cameras. Sometimes it's hard to make out cows if cows are standing along the passages, at the water troughs or the feeding barriers. I can spot the cows with the flashing lights straight away. Hopefully it works out

Camera quality must not be great? Ours can read a tag at the top end of the shed. Clearer even in the dark

The camera system was upgraded this year. The guy who did the original cameras made a balls of it and I had to get a local company to sort out his mess. The cameras are covering a large area. I'm happy with the quality but can't zoom in and can't read cows tags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭jfh

That's very good, what kinda camera is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

How is she now, Any sign?

Have a cow here calved a week ago, calf was sideways and ended with bit of a pull - didnt wait up to see as was 5am a.m by the time got going to bed but ive a strong feeling she didnt clean. She's got 3 days of penstrip. She has the tail hooked a lot of the time but no smell..
    Any way of checking myself or would it be vet job?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

RD10 wrote: »
    Have a cow here calved a week ago, calf was sideways and ended with bit of a pull - didnt wait up to see as was 5am a.m by the time got going to bed but ive a strong feeling she didnt clean. She's got 3 days of penstrip. She has the tail hooked a lot of the time but no smell..
    Any way of checking myself or would it be vet job?

Get someone to hold the tail, clean the vulva and lube up your gloved arm.

Insert gently and feel around for cleaning either in the vagina or further in, through the cervix. It will feel like mobile, shreds of clothing; should not be difficult to differentiate from the wall of the birth canal.

It may be gone or the antibiotics may be stopping the smell.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

RD10 wrote: »
    How is she now, Any sign?

Yeah dead calf alright that’s how it goes

Yeah dead calf alright that’s how it goes

That was my first thought had one like that last year. Very frustrating. I got rid of the heifer in question if she did it again where are you?

Yeah disappointing to be carrying them all year without the return of a calf. I’ll leave her soak up and sell her as a dry cow. She would be on good order. Calf was perfect don’t know what happened - didn’t die during the calving process. Was dead already so something went a miss.

greysides wrote: »
    Get someone to hold the tail, clean the vulva and lube up your gloved arm.

Insert gently and feel around for cleaning either in the vagina or further in, through the cervix. It will feel like mobile, shreds of clothing; should not be difficult to differentiate from the wall of the birth canal.

It may be gone or the antibiotics may be stopping the smell.

Cheers, shes eating well now - cant see anything but just in case she'd have it retained inside

Bit of a mixed weekend here,

Lost the small twin calf last night after nursing it all week.
    Another cow calved, I was watching her all morning yesterday, stopped just to watch my Bulls go through the ring in Kingscourt, flicked back to camera view after the sale and she was licking the calf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

To quote Chaz Michael Michaels from blades of glory "the guy who invented crypto sure was an A hole"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    To quote Chaz Michael Michaels from blades of glory "the guy who invented crypto sure was an A hole"

Lot's of colour there anyway and a grand spot for the job.There's aaa special springer sale at work tomorrow and I see there's a few nice coloured heifers entered going by the Facebook page. The better half looked over my shoulder whilst I was perusing and remarked as to why I couldn't look at other women like a normal man and that I'm banned from purchasing.

8/29 landed just now black bull calf out of a lim/bb second calver. Didn’t progress much after the feet came out in an hour so threw the jack on her and he came without much force. They talk about a cow taking 2 hours but it’s very hard watching them especially at night and not intervening.

8/29 landed just now black bull calf out of a lim/bb second calver. Didn’t progress much after the feet came out in an hour so threw the jack on her and he came without much force. They talk about a cow taking 2 hours but it’s very hard watching them especially at night and not intervening.

Wee snap of her

• Advertisement

jfh wrote: »
    That's very good, what kinda camera is it?

Sorry pal I meant to reply to this. It’s a Hikvision camera. I probably paid a bit more than what some ones got them at but it’s great quality and has paid for itself several times over in the year

Little sim heifer born yesterday ready for what's coming tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Had a heifer hurt her back after calving last year, she eventually came right but never milked, the bull put her in calf again and she calved down yday with a nice AA bull. Mastitis in 2 quarters... once a problem always a problem

The cow with the twins has rejected the bull calf, aggressive and pucking him when he tried to suck. Put him with the cow that calved the heifer calf and she has taken to him no bother. What a relief.

18mths old only spotted her bag up last week would have calved herself but gave her a small help. Up and drank herself but a bit sideways on the back legs. Thank god it wasn't the CH bull got her..nice lm heifer calf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Nice airy looking shed there. What height is it to the eaves?

• Advertisement

Thanks Its fairly airy this evening :D
    Its 4m high at the eaves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Nothing like the smell of a storm in the air to bring em on, numbers 7 and 8 of the day on the way, perhaps a few more during the night. Sticking with the 50/ 50 theme for heifer/ bull ratio so far anyway

Back at it there now. No calves since Friday evening. Cleaned out calving sheds today and disinfected them while there was a break

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Little sim heifer born yesterday ready for what's coming tonight.

Looks a good job.

How much are they and do many calves throw them off or get tangled up in any way?

Dunedin wrote: »
    Looks a good job.

How much are they and do many calves throw them off or get tangled up in any way?

This is my first year using them. No problems yet anyway, didn't have any lose one or get tangled up. They are between 20 and 30 euro depending what type you get. I know a lot of fellas think they are a bit of a joke but I think they are the best yokes I ever bought. I have them on calves outside with a few weeks in bad weather and they never looked back for a minute. Buck leaping around every day when I'm checking them. Other years they'd be standing by a wall with a hump in their back shivering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement