Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meghan & Harry: WE QUIT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

mariaalice wrote: »
    I consider the queen a great woman she is head of the UK biggest tourism organisation and works very hard. The rest I am not sure what they do.

Its a bit selfish of Harry it will land more work on his brother.

She is the head of State. As a head of State she does what she has to do and has done it well. The working hard bit in relation to waving at people and declaring things open sticks in my craw. That is not hard work. That's the role of of the extended royal family and in no way, shape or form can it be classed as hard work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Turned on the TV while making breakfast earlier and caught the last 5 mins of the repeat of last night's Tonight show on Virgin Media. They had a video call with some run of the mill snooty Royalist type. He was saying how Harry has been ruined, he was always a jack the lad, enjoyed a few drinks and always had his chest out and he doesn't do that any more. Yeah pal, its called growing up. He's a married man and a father now. It was followed by that d*ckhead Ivan Yeates calling her a charlatan! Typical West Brit talk.

Fair play to them, a grown man making the best decision for himself and his family.

If if found out that my granny plotted the murder of my mother and my uncle was a paedo, I would separate myself from my family too!! :-)

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    Turned on the TV while making breakfast earlier and caught the last 5 mins of the repeat of last night's Tonight show on Virgin Media. They had a video call with some run of the mill snooty Royalist type. He was saying how Harry has been ruined, he was always a jack the lad, enjoyed a few drinks and always had his chest out and he doesn't do that any more. Yeah pal, its called growing up. He's a married man and a father now. It was followed by that d*ckhead Ivan Yeates calling her a charlatan! Typical West Brit talk.

Fair play to them, a grown man making the best decision for himself and his family.

If if found out that my granny plotted the murder of my mother and my uncle was a paedo, I would separate myself from my family too!! :-)
    Yeah, I was with you til the bit about the Queen plotting to murder his mother. His mother was a manipulative attention seeker who deliberately courted press attention. She had a public fling with Al Fayed in a deliberate attempt to make another man jealous. She died as a result of being in a speeding car that crashed whilst being pursued by the press she deliberately courted to publicise the fling. The phrase 'hung by your own petard' springs to mind. She was far from the innocent victim she tried to portray herself to be. A serial adulterer with married men who never passed up an opportunity to be photographed doing her great deeds of charity (hugging people ) . If you want a toxic female royal there she is right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,550 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'm sure auld lizzy is fairly happy Harry has quit. Has anyone mentioned the ( quite obvious) elephant in the room. So it pretty much suits everyone I'm sure this was discussed during talks. The only thing I think ,is that H&M were either so frustrated/ pissed off they just threw a hissy fit before the queen could release a statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Fair points:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Yeah, I was with you til the bit about the Queen plotting to murder his mother. His mother was a manipulative attention seeker who deliberately courted press attention. She had a public fling with Al Fayed in a deliberate attempt to make another man jealous. She died as a result of being in a speeding car that crashed whilst being pursued by the press she deliberately courted to publicise the fling. The phrase 'hung by your own petard' springs to mind. She was far from the innocent victim she tried to portray herself to be. A serial adulterer with married men who never passed up an opportunity to be photographed doing her great deeds of charity (hugging people ) . If you want a toxic female royal there she is right there.

You do realise that comment was tongue in cheek! I am well aware of how Diana died. I am sure if there was any conspiracy that it was a plot against her demise it would have more than likely come out by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Keep in mind that this is all coming after the Prince Andrew scandal and Charles’ talk about downsizing the Royals anyway. After Charles, William & Harry were “the heir and the spare”, but the arrival of William’s sprogs pushed Harry several places down the line of succession. The same thing happened to Anne and Andrew too, and I’m sure the lessons learned there are in Harry’s mind too.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

You do realise that comment was tongue in cheek! I am well aware of how Diana died. I am sure if there was any conspiracy that it was a plot against her demise it would have more than likely come out by now.

Ah OK. Still, I managed to get a rant in about the 'people's princess ' so no harm done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Good for them I'd say. Harry always seemed to be more free spirited and his choice of wife confirms it, he could have a lady if he wanted to but clearly he didn't.

He now has a son and the treatment of royal children is atrocious; if he can protect him some he definitely should. How they made the two boys walk behind their mother's coffin holding it together in front of the entire world was terribly sad, and now little George is already wheeled out with William and Charles to keep promoting the family of cheaters and abusers. What kind of conversations about harbouring Andrew Harry was privy to we can only guess. Diana was no saint but as a 20 year old she didn't stand a chance in her marriage, rotten from day one. Even prince Phillip was a complete and unabashed cad back in the day, cheating on the queen right and left in plain sight, photographs and all.

He is not beholden to them like William is so good luck to him and his family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Load of balls :pac:
    What does it exactly mean? He is minted. He is a royal despite whatever he may say. Even if he loses his money he'll just tap the royal family or his brother / father for some money.

Doesn't mean a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What does it exactly mean? He is minted. He is a royal despite whatever he may say. Even if he loses his money he'll just tap the royal family or his brother / father for some money.

Doesn't mean a thing.

He'll hardly need to tap anybody. She is worth 5 million and he inherited 13 million, with an annual investment profit of 450,000 per annum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

He'll hardly need to tap anybody. She is worth 5 million and he inherited 13 million, with an annual investment profit of 450,000 per annum.

I think one of her engagement dresses cost over €60k. If they carry on at that rate. They might.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Seems like Harry, who used to be very close to his brother and sister in law, is now completely estranged from them and the rest of the family. I wonder what really happened.

Wonder if Wills ever calls him Harry Hewitt to wind him up. :pac::pac:

I think one of her engagement dresses cost over €60k. If they carry on at that rate. They might.

This stuff is sponsored, like Oscars gowns. If the fashion house is named, the garment is gifted or rented and not bought full price.

strandroad wrote: »
    This stuff is sponsored, like Oscars gowns. If the fashion house is named, the garment is gifted or rented and not bought full price.

How can a garment be worth that much money in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

I used to think Harry was alright but his recent stuff does give the impression that herself is steering the ship now. Ah well, won't be the last lad that happens to.

It's a status symbol, it's showcased on an Oscars actress or a celebrity and therefore marketed to petrodollars or financier milieus who will pay whatever is required.

strandroad wrote: »
    It's a status symbol, it's showcased on an Oscars actress or a celebrity and therefore marketed to petrodollars or financier milieus who will pay whatever is required.

It's disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

But that's the point. He's minted.
    So what does "leaving" the Royal family mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Doesn't mean a thing.

I don't get it... Is he no longer a prince? Surely this is just meaningless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I saw an interview with somebody recently (possibly Guggi) who said they had met Lady Gaga once in a smoking area in LA. The person noticed something strange about her fake eyelashes, but then realised that there was diamonds in them.

That's how stuff can be worth a lot more than they should...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

But that's the point. He's minted.
    So what does "leaving" the Royal family mean?

She can go back to Suits and he can pop on for the odd cameo playing 'English aristocrat in need of lawyer'.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Surely this is not true lol :rolleyes:

Prince Harry and Meghan trademarked their Sussex Royal brand on more than 100 items including pencils, socks and bookmarks more than six months ago.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7868315/Prince-Harry-Meghan-Markle-trademarked-100-items.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,965 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

She can go back to Suits and he can pop on for the odd cameo playing 'English aristocrat in need of lawyer'.

I gave up on Suits, what happened to her character in it? Did she live happily ever after?

I gave up on Suits, what happened to her character in it? Did she live happily ever after?

She married a prince in the end...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,965 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Surely this is not true lol :rolleyes:

Prince Harry and Meghan trademarked their Sussex Royal brand on more than 100 items including pencils, socks and bookmarks more than six months ago.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7868315/Prince-Harry-Meghan-Markle-trademarked-100-items.html

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112204602&postcount=200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Netflix are loving all this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

paw patrol wrote: »
    she seems toxic
    falls out with her friends , ditches her family , makes her husband give up his mates and now his family.

any critical opinion of her is racist :rolleyes:

She doesn't fall out with her friends from what I can tell, they are supporting her now? Her own family are incredibly toxic, from the way they have staged photos with the press, revealed personal matters, name called, judged and criticized... go over into the personal issues board here and you'll see many people going through these same issues with family and instead of accusing posters of "ditching families," they are encouraged to mind their mental health and instill what's called a healthy BOUNDARY on their toxic family. Now her father is out commenting on it all once again, he just can't keep his mouth shut.
    And as for Prince Harry, all this suggesting Meghan is "making" him do certain things is a huge insult. Basically saying he has no mind of his own, has no idea what he's doing when he himself has come out hitting hard against the media for treating her the way his mum was treated.
    When it comes down to it, why should Meghan be criticized? But she is and they are, for everything. For falling in love, for marrying, and having the audacity to try and make a difference where they can and live life their way. Sure they know things behind the curtain that no one else is privy to... it all alludes and points to a great amount of harm and they're right to break away from a stuffy, old fashioned and out dated, harmful institution. It sounds like it's not a full break, just a partial break honoring their commitments while honoring their own values and goals. Nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

I used to think Harry was alright but his recent stuff does give the impression that herself is steering the ship now. Ah well, won't be the last lad that happens to.

My Mrs wants to know exactly what you mean by this.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I don't really give two hoots about the Royals, but I really enjoying imagining the anti-Megan rage that some of the UK tabloids must be consumed with now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

boombang wrote: »
    I don't really give two hoots about the Royals, but I really enjoying imagining the anti-Megan rage that some of the UK tabloids must be consumed with now.

Piers Morgan classic headline in the Daily Mail website. I get the impression he isn't fond of the dynamic duo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

This announcement doesn't seem to mean much at all really. If they are not giving up their titles and house and money they receive from the taxpayers what's it all about? Is it just that they'll be having one very long holiday every year instead of lots of little ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

This announcement doesn't seem to mean much at all really. If they are not giving up their titles and house and money they receive from the taxpayers what's it all about? Is it just that they'll be having one very long holiday every year instead of lots of little ones.

I want to be financially independent, so i'll just hang on to this mountain of money, the mansion(s) of course, and i suppose the 24 hour armed guards, but after that - i'm just one of the boys, ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I want to be financially independent, so i'll just hang on to this mountain of money, the mansion(s) of course, and i suppose the 24 hour armed guards, but after that - i'm just one of the boys, ok!

You'd feel a little sorry for them alright though. They've only got £35 million between them so I suppose they need all the taxpayers money they can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Kate will be a great queen, she's beautiful too.

She knows what side her bread is buttered on, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Asitis2019 wrote: »
    Internal communication protocols.

Got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Liz and Co should change the name to the Royle Family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

The obsession of the forelock tugging Irish with the British royals - many of whom aren't even British - is rather strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

Meghan has been a target of the British press because she is:

1.Black
    2.American
    3.A Woman

They will now crucify her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/09/prince-harry-meghan-two-most-spoiled-brats-in-history-pundits-provoked-by-royal-rupture

The guardian have a roundup of the uk tabloid response to their announcement, its pretty funny/sad/crazy/insane to see some of the op-ed pieces pieces, amd the outright bitterness, hatred and quasi-racism on show. DM had the first 17(!!!) pages devoted to them today!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's disgusting.

Barring fast fashion, the cost for a lot of these items is often due the to the rarity of the materials, and the time and craftsmanship involved in it's creation, often running to years of someone's life (or spread across multiple people). Some of these items only exist to be admired so the artist can break even on what they sell it for, if a patron was unwilling to pay these amounts for the items, than the artists wouldn't create them, and be doing something much more mundane with their lives (maybe making hospital beds..., which we should all be doing apparently).

Now, some can effectively trick others into thinking something is worth more than the sum of it's parts and effort to put them together, and in that case, you're paying the excessive amounts for a trick of the mind (e.g. a banana worth $120,000 because no one else had done it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

They've basically kept everything but the job responsibilities. After they spent millions of taxpayers money funding a wedding and a house already.

Pretty obvious Meghan is calling the shots here. She wanted to be a princess but now doesn't like it so much. Shes separated him from his family, won't be too long before she gets bored of a prince who she has turned into a frog.

Divorce within 5 years, guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I love the way its all her fault, like he a little child with no choices or responsibilities.

Fair play to them I say, wouldn't really blame them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

MikeSoys wrote: »
    cant see how they will be financially independent without cutting back .. ummm how long will it last?

They are cutting back - they are giving up 5% of their taxpayer funded income. Coupled with their personal millions its really going to be tough for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I love the way its all her fault, like he a little child with no choices or responsibilities.

Fair play to them I say, wouldn't really blame them.

Yeah people are forgetting he completely cleaned up his act and became a pretty solid guy before he started going out with Meghan. And since they've been married she (his wife) has been relentlessly tormented and lied about in the media (most of which was demonstrably false or exaggerated). Not to mention he's so much further down the line of succession that a nuclear attack on Buckingham Palace on the Queen's birthday might not even be enough to see him on the throne, and that he has no huge reason to stay as a full member of the Royal Family and instead can do as much charitable work or anything else he wants by stepping anyway, while still ultimately retaining being Prince Harry...

I can't see why he wouldn't have made the choice he has. Why should he, his wife and child have to put up with any of that sh*t if they don't have to?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Thatsthejob

I logged on here just to see how big the discussion was and I amazed to see so many presumably Irish people bothered about Royals from a foreign country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I logged on here just to see how big the discussion was and I amazed to see so many presumably Irish people bothered about Royals from a foreign country.

Why did you need to log in to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

That's right, they're foreign, so foreign that they inhabit 1/5th of this island, plus the neighbouring island, so foreign that we speak their language, so foreign that we are addicted to their TV, so foreign because they're so so far away . . . .;)

I could go on.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Even cnn are giving alerts about this. It seems like it was a solo run by Harry and Meghan and the mood inside buck house is “disappointment”
    I find it interesting that the queen is 'disappointed' about Harry and Meghan going off to do their own thing, but hasn't said anything of the sort about Andrew hanging around and staying with a convicted paedophile

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement