Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Too much oil - diesel

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Sorento and reliability really don't belong in the same sentence.............

Really?
    I've 95k kms troublefree and there's another 55k kms before the warranty expires so I'll see how that goes. What issues should I be seeing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Augeo wrote: »
    Really?
    I've 95k kms troublefree and there's another 55k kms before the warranty expires so I'll see how that goes. What issues should I be seeing ?

Brother in law had one, broke his heart, kept going into limp mode they never got to the bottom of it. Sore enough on diesel too. They did a deal with him in the end on a van they had as a call out vehicle, In fairness to Kia they never left him without transport and the van suited his needs better.

You don't seem to have extensive knowledge to share, thanks anyway :)
    I'm averaging 38mpg over 90k kms and also it's been 100% trouble free so I'm very happy with it.
    Service costs not at all expensive either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

kermitpwee wrote: »
    It's diesel, there is no other option. They don't overfill in main dealers, the oil put in is precise not a guess and top up job

How could an overfill not happen in a main dealers? Half the technical staff are probably dim witted apprentices on sub minimum wage who haven't a clue nor care less.

• Advertisement

I'm averaging 38mpg over 90k kms and also it's been 100% trouble free so I'm very happy with it.

Auto gearbox is soft, egr, injectors, turbo but realistically you can say that of any modern diesel. You can't compare them to a car imo, compare them to there competitors and they are OK.
    I do like them though, 90k isn't even 60 thousand miles, what year is it?

How could an overfill not happen in a main dealers? Half the technical staff are probably dim witted apprentices on sub minimum wage who haven't a clue nor care less.
    Yes I doubt they would be as smart as yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't post in this thread again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

So he got his car back. They explained to him that the car adjusts to the driving style/journeys and does regenerations based on past trips, up until he got his car serviced there was probably the same thing happening to the oil but because he had used some of the oil that there was no noticeable difference. When he got the car serviced in December they would have topped up the oil to the top levels and the additional short journeys meant that the levels went up.

They've reprogrammed the car to reset the journeys so this shouldn't happen again and when lockdown lifts the car will just adjust to the longer journeys again, there's nothing for him to do now.

TL;DR oil was topped up to theax at the last service, the short journeys since pushed the oil above the max levels because of the regeneration so they've changed the oil and reset the regeneration process.

Auto gearbox is soft, egr, injectors, turbo but realistically you can say that of any modern diesel. You can't compare them to a car imo, compare them to there competitors and they are OK.
    I do like them though, 90k isn't even 60 thousand miles, what year is it?

It's a manual, 181.

• Advertisement

Extensive knowledge? Hard to have extensive knowledge when the dealer didn't know what was wrong with it. He's happy with the van, I don't know what became of the Sorrento.

You'd one piece of info to back up your claim sorentos were unreliable.

You also reckon they aren't euro6 compliant iirc.

Essentially I queried your comment and you've shed no light.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It does happen though.

Sure weren't certain Trooper diesels known for doing this and then running on and on until they blew up? I forget the terminology. But flawed design so....boom!

Most likely DPF here. Driver who, like most, knows nothing about cars so goes for a diesel when they should have gone petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Sure weren't certain Trooper diesels known for doing this and then running on and on until they blew up? I forget the terminology. But flawed design so....boom!

Most likely DPF here. Driver who, like most, knows nothing about cars so goes for a diesel when they should have gone petrol.

Runaway diesel...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

An Ri rua wrote: »

Can happen any diesel, look up runaway diesels on YouTube

You'd one piece of info to back up your claim sorentos were unreliable.

You also reckon they aren't euro6 compliant iirc.

Essentially I queried your comment and you've shed no light.

To be fair i know nothing of 2015 on sportage issues, previous to that they were a ball of rubbish

To be fair i know nothing of 2015 on sportage issues, previous to that they were a ball of rubbish

Yes, I was referring to this chap...
    CoBo55 wrote: »

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

This went from a newish 5 series to a 6 year old Kia fairly quick.

Clareman wrote: »
    This went from a newish 5 series to a 6 year old Kia fairly quick.

2018 Kia

BIL's was 2015, complete ball of scutter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Clareman wrote: »
    So he got his car back. They explained to him that the car adjusts to the driving style/journeys and does regenerations based on past trips, up until he got his car serviced there was probably the same thing happening to the oil but because he had used some of the oil that there was no noticeable difference. When he got the car serviced in December they would have topped up the oil to the top levels and the additional short journeys meant that the levels went up.

They've reprogrammed the car to reset the journeys so this shouldn't happen again and when lockdown lifts the car will just adjust to the longer journeys again, there's nothing for him to do now.

TL;DR oil was topped up to theax at the last service, the short journeys since pushed the oil above the max levels because of the regeneration so they've changed the oil and reset the regeneration process.

Personally i do not believe all of that.
    I think the guy that said he need to pay for re-progamming made a blunder and just a cover-up story...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

FR85 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say banned. People need to do their research. We also live in a different world, there are no more high mileage travelling salesmen. The OPs mate like the rest of us, his situation may have changed. Car may have been bulletproof up until the pandemic.

I dont blame the customer, I blame the gob****es who sell them. When you go to buy a car you go in with key points you would like fulfilled, leather seats, boot space, bluetooth, buttons on a steering wheel ect and if they only have a deisel that meets these requirements then obviously that's what they are going to push. They are not going to ask you if you drive 50 miles a year of 50,000 miles a year. If they do get wind that you tootle around at 20mph everywhere they are not going to say: I'm not selling you that because it will be a worthless peice of scrap in 6 months.
    People see them as economical with a high mpg return but they dont know they are now built with the same fragile components as a kitten.

Agree - had a 5 series doing 50k miles a year and it was a trooper, changed job and sat on m50 for a year and it was a nightmare.

Its about the journey as much as the car.

Have an e-scooter now as i go nowhere haha

DPF are well known to cause issues on all diesels but got us all low tax so its a pay off. Had diesels for years, took one out of a passat altogether, BMW 5 series went bad but got rid of car as chain was ready to go and now a modeo 1.6tdci - I make sure i give it a good run every now and then just to give it a chance.

I do remember the BMW was a bit different - glow plugs supported dpf regen or some such nonsense and a failure in the relay on my plugs may have helped cause the blockage.

Passat with it gone passed all nct's and never had an issue to be fair. Only got the mondeo a year ago so it has barely moved at all.

Agree - had a 5 series doing 50k miles a year and it was a trooper, changed job and sat on m50 for a year and it was a nightmare.

Its about the journey as much as the car.

Have an e-scooter now as i go nowhere haha

DPF are well known to cause issues on all diesels but got us all low tax so its a pay off. Had diesels for years, took one out of a passat altogether, BMW 5 series went bad but got rid of car as chain was ready to go and now a modeo 1.6tdci - I make sure i give it a good run every now and then just to give it a chance.

I do remember the BMW was a bit different - glow plugs supported dpf regen or some such nonsense and a failure in the relay on my plugs may have helped cause the blockage.

Passat with it gone passed all nct's and never had an issue to be fair. Only got the mondeo a year ago so it has barely moved at all.

That's the thing. I equate regen/dpf to a string of old fashioned fairy lights, one thing goes wrong, sensor, glow plug etc and regen doesn't happen, before you know it the dpf becomes a clinker.

Advertisement