Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

How are you so misinformed then? What media do you consume?

Surely shinners polling near on 30% and the way greens tearing emselves apart as they prepare to go more leftish adds credence to his post?

Was also under impression,most of rising stars in us politics are of a v.left variety,to extent they wouldnt be out of place in europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

How are you so misinformed then? What media do you consume?

I subscribe to the NY Times and have free premium access to the Irish Times so those are my main two. I’ll scan the headlines on the Indo too, but don’t usually click in now they’ve gone paid-for. I pop on to the New Yorker occasionally and the Economist now and then.

Other than that, I’ll click into articles from all kinds of news sites that my friends post on Facebook and LinkedIn. And here on Boards.

Then there’s podcasts, of which I’d have about 15-20 I listen to on a monthly basis. And then of course I follow activists for causes I care about directly on Instagram.

Disagree with me all you want. I may be many things but misinformed I am not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

I've been anti-gun all my life. Now that I see the riots everywhere I'm thinking I would like a gun.

These mobs of people on twitter aren't far off mobs of people wielding pitchforks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

KiKi III wrote: »
    I subscribe to the NY Times and have free premium access to the Irish Times so those are my main two. I’ll scan the headlines on the Indo too, but don’t usually click in now they’ve gone paid-for. I pop on to the New Yorker occasionally and the Economist now and then.

Other than that, I’ll click into articles from all kinds of news sites that my friends post on Facebook and LinkedIn. And here on Boards.

Then there’s podcasts, of which I’d have about 15-20 I listen to on a monthly basis. And then of course I follow activists for causes I care about directly on Instagram.

You are spectacularly misinformed.

Let me just quote what you said a few minutes ago.

"Left wing movements haven’t been this energised and united in years"

The nearest Left wing movement to us is the UK Labour Party one of the biggest in Europe.

It has been decimated....precisely because it is disunited....it will be out of power for 10 years most likely....this is happening right now, it is not my opinion...it is reality.

The Democratic Party in the US is headed for the same fate in 5 months time...you can't see it coming because you are being conditioned to believe otherwise by the content you are consuming...

Rioting, online activism, pulling down statues, defunding police will not convert in the ballot box!

Nope. I consider the choice of Corbyn or Johnson, or indeed Trump/ Biden to by symptoms of how broken politics is generally in both countries.

If I lived in either country, I’d rally around the causes that matter to me rather than a party per my previous post.

Read good-er.

I agree with the first half of this post..

I think half the problem though is this whole push to activism around issues, or the whole identity politics..
    Just leads to division.. everyone trying to push in different directions..no conjoined thinking..no idea about how issues affect each other..No looking at other points of view.. It's lead to a lot of people who are too stupid to be involved in politics being involved..
    It's really adversely affected discourse I think..

• Advertisement

The pendulum which has swung to the right and alt right over the last five years is about to swing back left.

Social media sites are standing up to blowhards like Milo Yiannopolous and Katie Hopkins who offer no solutions and simply fan the flames of hate.

Left wing movements haven’t been this energised and united in years.

Which ones, and how are they doing this standing up as you call it; since apparently you only read the New York Times/Independent.

Unless you mean Twitter and Youtube banning them - well that's just censorship and bullying by big corporations against individuals; and it's not the will of the people - a few loudmouth SJWs maybe, but hardly the masses.

You are spectacularly misinformed.

Let me just quote what you said a few minutes ago.

"Left wing movements haven’t been this energised and united in years"

The nearest Left wing movement to us is the UK Labour Party one of the biggest in Europe.

It has been decimated....precisely because it is disunited....it will be out of power for 10 years most likely....this is happening right now, it is not my opinion...it is reality.

The Democratic Party in the US is headed for the same fate in 5 months time...you can't see it coming because you are being conditioned to believe otherwise by the content you are consuming...

Rioting, online activism, pulling down statues, defunding police will not convert in the ballot box!

We already went through this... left wing movements aren’t defined by the last UK election. Not sure why you’re so focused on that one particular election except that it’s the only one that even vaguely proves your point.

Johnson had the benefit of facing a spectacularly poor opposition, with a leader who couldn’t reconcile his personal euroskeptic views with his party’s desire to remain.

In the most recent US elections, the mid-terms, democrats took back the house, and States that were until recently considered safe for Trump like Iowa are turning purple just a few months out from the election.

Which ones, and how are they doing this standing up as you call it; since apparently you only read the New York Times/Independent.

Unless you mean Twitter and Youtube banning them - well that's just censorship and bullying by big corporations against individuals; and it's not the will of the people - a few loudmouth SJWs maybe, but hardly the masses.

Twitter’s decision to fact-check Trump’s tweets signals social media sites starting to take responsibility for how fake news is spread by high-profile users on their platforms.

We already went through this... left wing movements aren’t defined by the last UK election. Not sure why you’re so focused on that one particular election except that it’s the only one that even vaguely proves your point.

Johnson had the benefit of facing a spectacularly poor opposition, with a leader who couldn’t reconcile his personal euroskeptic views with his party’s desire to remain.

In the most recent US elections, the mid-terms, democrats took back the house, and States that were until recently considered safe for Trump like Iowa are turning purple just a few months out from the election.

I understand how important it is to you to dismiss the absolute battering the UK Labour party received....the worst in 60 years...but it is the nearest Left wing movement...it is also massive...

I'm not trying to be antagonistic I've been spectacularly misinformed myself on plenty of occasions, I did not see the Brexit result coming, I did not see the Trump election coming, the media I was consuming at the time led me to believe that both results were impossible...those media outlets told me the world would end if Trump got elected or if the Brits voted to leave the EU.

Turns out none of those things happened...

Media is peddling a constant cycle of hysteria, my advice is to stay away life is too short.

Twitter’s decision to fact-check Trump’s tweets signals social media sites starting to take responsibility for how fake news is spread by high-profile users on their platforms.

Again, don't be fooled, the tech industry has been the biggest spenders in the Lobbying industry in Washington for at least a decade, they all have huge monopolies and have paid good money to secure their positions....they need Trump out of office....they will play their part.

• Advertisement

You're definitely having a laugh - well done :D

Unpopular Opinions - That's the thread title, you don't actually have to believe or hold a possibly unpopular opinion to proffer it :pac:

Could be a strong case of Poe's law on this one. Fair play for getting so many annoyed if that's your intent :p

I'm not trying to be antagonistic I've been spectacularly misinformed myself on plenty of occasions.

Still are, but haven’t learned enough from your past mistakes to have any humility around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ah, but your perspective is so very limited and old-fashioned. Youth based left-wing movements coalesce around issues rather than political parties. Think climate change, BLM, #MeToo, or Repeal here in Ireland. Young people realise that politics is broken and as such are resourcefully utilising activism to achieve their goals rather than jumping through the hoops of traditional party structures designed to keep them out.

Climate change is on the agenda. Abortion is free, safe, and legal. Gay people can marry. Slut shaming sexual assault victims, while still common, is far less socially acceptable these days.

And Donald Trump, who was meant to sail hrough two terms is on shaky grounds even though his opponent is Joe Biden.

I’ve never felt more hopeful.

I dunno this may be unpopular....
    I have a feeling in another 30 years time people will be pining for the simple life of the 1970's, where you could smack a woman on the arse and she would take it as a compliment/laugh it off. And when women had to stop work when they got married. Men were men - and women were women. And had set defined roles. Children had loads of freedom and could wander on thier own exploring. The nuclear family unit was something to aspire to Mammy - Daddy and kids. It was days where people were not as fat as they are now. When people used to cross the road and look around. Strangers would engage in conversation.

Now we have moved from that to discussing what pronoun people identify as.
    Now kids have to have arranged play-dates and are mostly reared by strangers (nurseries) and not thier own parents. Now even single mothers are re-branded as 'one parent families'. There are strange new movements such as 'fat acceptance' no matter how idiotic and nonsensical they may seem - they are given credence. The word 'Shaming' added to the end of everything as a defence mechanism.

Most people are falling over themselves to try and be politically correct. Comedy has being ruined because of this - with some comedians being given lists of stuff they cannot say. Just in case one person finds offence on another groups behalf. That is if such people are not stuck looking at thier phones while walking around.
    Buzz words and new fads or causes coming and going every few years/months because of the internet - 'mental health' and so on. Climate change activists not being called out on thier hypocrisy (example using mobile phones made from precious metals and flying) as it does not fit a narrative.

It will be mad altogether in 30 years time. thankfully I will be an auld git if I live that long so I will not be expected to abide by new societal norms.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Again, don't be fooled, the tech industry has been the biggest spenders in the Lobbying industry in Washington for at least a decade, they all have huge monopolies and have paid good money to secure their positions....they need Trump out of office....they will play their part.

Yeah, the massive tax cut he gave them was really hard on them...

Still are, but haven’t learned enough from your past mistakes to have any humility around it.

Ya...I'll give you that.

My style isn't always what it might be...doesn't make me wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

2u2me wrote: »
    I've been anti-gun all my life. Now that I see the riots everywhere I'm thinking I would like a gun.

Right-wing nutjobs running around with guns. What could possibly go wrong?

I'm more interested in Ireland than the UK or US (both of which are basket case shit-holes, hell-bent on self-destruction). For the first time in our history, both right-wing parties are in government and the party that won the popular vote will lead a strong, coherent left-wing opposition. As a left-leaning voter, I feel confident about the future.

No doubt some tedious 'well actually' merchant will be along now to tell me how spectacularly misinformed I am. And the blink-and-you-miss-him rereg will call me an 'NPC' because he heard that term on some site for Elliot Rodger wannabees and thinks it makes him sound cleverer than he actually is, which wouldn't be very difficult, tb perfectly h with you.

Right-wing nutjobs running around with guns. What could possibly go wrong?

What on earth are you talking about? The only nut jobs I see running around the last few weeks are coming from the left-wing.

What on earth are you talking about? The only nut jobs I see running around the last few weeks are coming from the left-wing.

You missed the armed men storming the Capitol in Michigan because the barbers were closed then?

You missed the armed men storming the Capitol in Michigan because the barbers were closed then?

Yeah I must have missed that among the thousands of other stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Sorry, I still wouldn't trust the likes of you with a gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I tried to into it and give it a chance, but couldn't stick it for the reasons you give. Might watch a really big game if there is something on it.

--

Anyway unpopular opinions

I do not like a lot of popular series/films

1) Game of thrones - gave up after seven episodes (was a struggle that far) - wooden characters and dialogue - dragged like mad. Lots of close ups and overly dramatic music when feck all was happening. Plus just naked riding put in as filler when they could not think of dialogue.

2) Love/Hate - gave up after one and a half episodes could not take it seriously. Instead of being 'afraid' of the gangsters with put on 'hardshaw' Dublin accents I would laugh. It was like Fair City.

3) Lord of the rings or any of those quest type stuff - I got bored at the climbing the mountain trek bit, and switched off.

Game of thrones was good for 3 seasons. Utter repetitive nonsense after this

I am re-watching love hate. By god the acting is tosh, but it’s a very watchable series. Interesting, and keeps you interested..

I think what made Love/Hate good was that it wasn't s##t...

Our national broadcaster is a cesspool of talentless individuals, many of whom are 3rd generation RTE employees who haven't an ounce of creativity or ambition...this is reflected in RTE's output, where the main course is the Late Late Show, a stale show long past it's sell by date.

So, when Love/Hate came along, we were all a little taken aback that such a standard could be reached by RTE...it was of course, an outside production, but nonetheless, something RTE could be proud off, which they did by completely overhyping the thing as it went on....like only RTE can.

How can an organisation so large and so well paid can produce such low standards so consistently I often ask myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The band madness were musical geniuses, there are far more critically acclaimed musicians that wish they could compose and play as good as them.

a corollary from Silentcorner's point,

Listening / Watching RTE sometimes, the distinct impression is quickly that the Program is trying to walk the viewer / listener down the Program's own Opinion and Take and, while not outwardly disapproved, different viewpoints are not worthy consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

walshb wrote: »
    Not nonsense at all.

Huge bandwagon of rugby support because it’s seen as being cool to support it. So many pretending to support it because it’s in fashion.

I have always been a fan of rugby and from a working class background. Went to a DEIS school and support a rugby team I feel a real connection with. Unlike most soccer fans here who are glory hunters for English soccer teams like Man United, Liverpool etc. Then all they do is **** on the Irish league

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have always been a fan of rugby and from a working class background. Went to a DEIS school and support a rugby team I feel a real connection with. Unlike most soccer fans here who are glory hunters for English soccer teams like Man United, Liverpool etc. Then all they do is **** on the Irish league

Yes, there are many actual genuine fans..I know this.

Rugby in Ireland has recently attracted many many pretend fans; at least that is the feel and vibe for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

And a lot more people who "support" rugby do so to be seen to be above working class.

In fact, during this hiatus on sport, I haven't heard one person say how much they are missing the rugby. Not one. Which goes to show how much of a bandwagon a sport it is.

I can't wait for the rugby to get back up and running. But your attitude is genuinely fascinating. I've seen a few people with this attitude before. Why would you feel like an underclass because someone else follows a particular sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

walshb wrote: »
    Rugby in Ireland has recently attracted many many pretend fans; at least that is the feel and vibe for me...

Is this what we are now calling female rugby fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

2+2=4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I can't wait for the rugby to get back up and running. But your attitude is genuinely fascinating. I've seen a few people with this attitude before. Why would you feel like an underclass because someone else follows a particular sport?

It's not me feeling like an underclass, it's others who don't know the rules of the game or wouldn't even watch the PRO14 (particularly if its on TG4) that suddenly become experts when the national team are playing, and just have to be seen to be a rugby fan. As if its a more worthy sport to be following or something.

Advertisement