Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escaping to the countryside?

Options
  • 17-05-2019 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Ever get tired of city life? I know I have, Currently living in south dublin city centre and working in north Dublin, I’m tired of a hour sitting in traffic each way to get to work, tired of paying €3.50 per hour for parking, tired of little scruffs thinking they are gangsters, tired of junkies, cyclists, not having change out of two pints from a tenner (I know it’s been that way for ages) tired of walking Instagram accounts, tired of people looking down thier nose at people who have a €20 less than them in thier pockets, tired of trials by social media, tired of knocked together houses being sold for €500k just because of the postcode*

so that’s why I want to move to Leitrim, nice and quiet, just a few acres of land and a little cottage, potter around the garden, wake up in the morning to the sound of a cock a doodle doo, instead of a cock in a BMW driving in the bus lane. Get away from city life, just me and the country air, and a few retired freedom fighters and Semtex weapons dumps, get a job in a bar for €250 per week, that’s the dream. Anyone ever do it?**

* I realize most of these problems aren’t exclusively city related.

** probably not going to move to Leitrim or the arsehole of Ireland in the immediate future but thinking about it the last while and I need some inspiration.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

I Was VB wrote: »
    Ever get tired of city life? I know I have, Currently living in south dublin city centre and working in north Dublin, I’m tired of a hour sitting in traffic each way to get to work, tired of paying €3.50 per hour for parking, tired of little scruffs thinking they are gangsters, tired of junkies, cyclists, not having change out of two pints from a tenner (I know it’s been that way for ages) tired of walking Instagram accounts, tired of people looking down thier nose at people who have a €20 less than them in thier pockets, tired of trials by social media, tired of knocked together houses being sold for €500k just because of the postcode*

so that’s why I want to move to Leitrim, nice and quiet, just a few acres of land and a little cottage, potter around the garden, wake up in the morning to the sound of a cock a doodle doo, instead of a cock in a BMW driving in the bus lane. Get away from city life, just me and the country air, and a few retired freedom fighters and Semtex weapons dumps, get a job in a bar for €250 per week, that’s the dream. Anyone ever do it?**

* I realize most of these problems aren’t exclusively city related.

** probably not going to move to Leitrim or the arsehole of Ireland in the immediate future but thinking about it the last while and I need some inspiration.

Do it, you wont regret it not even for a second. Country life beats city life hands down. Apart from the smell of cow ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Gerry G wrote: »
    Do it, you wont regret it not even for a second. Country life beats city life hands down. Apart from the smell of cow ****e

That's just country air!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Lived and worked in Dublin, Belfast and London, now moved to rural Mayo and its a dream. 10 minutes for a largish town, 15 minute commute in the morning, large house on a acre with views of countryside for miles around. I could earn 3 times more in Dublin but would have less of everything else that makes life worth living.

Would I go back to Dublin, not a chance, Belfast or London, slightly better, but Dublin is a horrible place, full of scum, a sole crushing city with very few redeeming attributes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Try going here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Nothing beats an early Sunday morning walk in the countryside, seeing that clear blue sky through the trees before it clouds over, the birds whistling in your ears as you stroll through the trees, the slight scent of the grass as the dew brushes over your boots, the satisfaction of seeing a job well done on your hidden weapons dump. Bliss

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Social outcasts lashing out online instead of improving themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

I’m just tired 💀

Night all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

My wife and I moved to the countryside back in 2004 with our two sons . 4 and 13 year olds. The best decision we every made. In our children's favour it has worked out being away from bad influences etc . Our older son is now a guard whereas where he used to live he would probably be known to them. Now 15 years later my wife and I want the convince of town living.

I want it for the clean air. Been living with some of the worst air in the world for nearly a decade.

Hoping to move to a smaller city next to the beach within the next two years. When I'm older, I want actual countryside. Not sure about which country yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

My wife and I moved to the countryside back in 2004 with our two sons . 4 and 13 year olds. The best decision we every made. In our children's favour it has worked out being away from bad influences etc . Our older son is now a guard whereas where he used to live he would probably be known to them. Now 15 years later my wife and I want the convince of town living.

I understand the convince of town living, where I’m living now it’s €10 taxi journey away from O Connel bridge, very handy but that said it’s a €10 taxi journey from O Connel bridge.

Part of my thinking is the reason you moved to the bog for the sons, I don’t want my future offsprings idea of a role model to be of some gickbag driving a wanked out Audi with some gangster gee in the passenger seat.

• Advertisement

I get it y'all. You cant stand conflict, never could. That's why when you're brought to a place thats all about competition (for money, for pussy, for fame) you just cant hack it.

Truth is, you're never gonna make it. Never will. You might aswell lay down and surrender (Go to the countryside and be alone so no one can hurt your fee fees).

You cant hack it in the arena. Here in Dublin, its a young man's game. The worn and tired slink away quietly to moldy pubs to complain about whoever they cant fight (Liberals? Immigrants? Feminists).

Thats what you are. Worn. You used to be a sharp knife. But you lost your edge. This is the time of our lives and your death.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Built a house on a lifestyle block 18 months ago, put it up for sale this week to move back to town. Its not for us, things like useable internet, rubbish collection, a smaller mortgage and not spending 45 mins cutting the grass every week far outweigh the piece and quiet niceness of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I Was VB wrote:
    Part of my thinking is the reason you moved to the bog for the sons, I don’t want my future offsprings idea of a role model to be of some gickbag driving a wanked out Audi with some gangster gee in the passenger seat.
    Part of my thinking in regards to your response is a numpty trying to be funny but failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

sk8erboii wrote: »
    I get it y'all. You cant stand conflict, never could. That's why when you're brought to a place thats all about competition (for money, for pussy, for fame) you just cant hack it.

Truth is, you're never gonna make it. Never will. You might aswell lay down and surrender (Go to the countryside and be alone so no one can hurt your fee fees).

You cant hack it in the arena. Here in Dublin, its a young man's game. The worn and tired slink away quietly to moldy pubs to complain about whoever they cant fight (Liberals? Immigrants? Feminists).

Thats what you are. Worn. You used to be a sharp knife. But you lost your edge. This is the time of our lives and your death.

PaleSilentBufflehead-small.gif

Ah sk8erboii.. As usual, talking about life pretending he's got the wisdom of decades in the workplace, when he's 23.

Part of my thinking in regards to your response is a numpty trying to be funny but failing.

Honestly I wasn’t trying to be funny, just tired of little wannabe gangsters that seem to be everywhere in Dublin and in any major city, as much as you could raise a child to be a decent human, the surroundings in which they are brought up in will have a effect no matter how good the parenting is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I like the city ...plus nowhere is far from the countryside in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Ah sk8erboii.. As usual, talking about life pretending he's got the wisdom of decades in the workplace, when he's 23.

And coming across as a little fecker that needs a swift Colm Meaney while he's at it.

Built a house on a lifestyle block 18 months ago, put it up for sale this week to move back to town. Its not for us, things like useable internet, rubbish collection, a smaller mortgage and not spending 45 mins cutting the grass every week far outweigh the piece and quiet niceness of it.

Ultimately if I was to buy somewhere in the stcks I’d rent something similarly to what I’d be looking to purchase in, I’d rent it in the wintertime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Looks like we might be beaten to it

If you squint into the distance you can only see the hills...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Social outcasts lashing out online instead of improving themselves?

You wouldn't like it, no place for your skateboard Bart Simpson.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Hahahaha the state of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

F*cking pee diddely up in da house :o and where exactly might you taking us good sir; the bronx?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

City people (particularly on Boards) love taking the piss out of rural Ireland until it comes time to 'get away from it all' and hit up what they perceive to be the backarse of nowhere for a stag/hen do or a weekend away.

Feck off. They're as bad as all the gym bunnies who take over the pubs in December.

City people (particularly on Boards) love taking the piss out of rural Ireland until it comes time to 'get away from it all' and hit up what they perceive to be the backarse of nowhere for a stag/hen do or a weekend away.

Feck off. They're as bad as all the gym bunnies who take over the pubs in December.

One thing I’ve learned about dubs moving down the country is a lot of them try and live a Dublin lifestyle in the countryside. Which is pointless, as you can’t work and socialize in Dublin and live a hour and half away.

Bobblehats wrote: »
    F*cking pee diddely up in da house :o and where exactly might you taking us good sir; the bronx?

So you finally got it figured out huh? You talked the talk and walked the walk. You beat the best and killed the rest. You took all the cards until you finally became the dealer.

Well guess what? Now everyones playing chess.

You better watch your back. Its a dog eat dog world out there, Bob. And im the f*cking chinaman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

You're dead right to do this if the lifestyle isn't suiting you. Very painful to watch a family in your situation struggle on when it's not working out. The problems are endless when they do.

So you finally got it figured out huh? You talked the talk and walked the walk. You beat the best and killed the rest. You took all the cards until you finally became the dealer.

Well guess what? Now everyones playing chess.

You better watch your back. Its a dog eat dog world out there, Bob. And im the f*cking chinaman

A string of redundant clichés. You're saying absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

A string of redundant clich You're saying absolutely nothing.

If he was talking you could even call it verbal diarrhoea.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Its a good thing you're all beneath me. Otherwise, I might actually forget that I wasn't some crusty loser getting mad at Boards ie posts at 5 am in the morning.

This entire thread reminds me that its good to be a young person living in the city. I cant believe the utter bitterness that comes from people here. Does it come with age? Or do I have to spend several years being a social outcast and a failure like the rest of you?

Advertisement