Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mary Robinson wants us all to become vegan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

wakka12 wrote: »
    Its perfectly reasonable to ecnourage something that would do so much good for the world
    Im not vegetarian but I think anyone who thinks shes pompous or just saying it for credit just feel guilty they are partaking in the demise of the planet and arent willing to even think about changing their lifestyle or inconveniencing themselves

Not at all. I’ve replaced my car with a bike. I work in renewable power. The point is, her class is hypocritical about this.

We should all eat less meat. The only way to fairly enforce that is coupons or ration cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

cereal crop mono culture beloved of vegans have huge issues in terms of soil depletion , displacement of wildlife, their own energy inputs. ireland is the last place on earth that should be worrying about eating meat.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Not at all. I’ve replaced my car with a bike. I work in renewable power. The point is, her class is hypocritical about this.

We should all eat less meat.
    The only way to fairly enforce that is coupons or ration cards.
    Poor Mary is a wee bit behind the times, again.
    https://twitter.com/SBakerMD/status/1049696517177503745
    The third graph there is the interesting one, agricultural emissions dropping but the rest of the emissions on a huge upward surge. People may have to look a bit closer to home than is comfortable to reduce emissions.

But, yeah, beef is the cause:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The thread is an example of why boards is becoming such a joke. She made a perfectly valid point, the same point climate scientists have been making, and the first page of the thread is nothing but a race to attack her. Boards.ie is full of the opposite of virtue signaling- people rushing to show off how reactionary and hate filled they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

For someone supposedly into their food production- your knowledge appears fairly abysmal tbh.
    Eathrin wrote: »
    I appreciate that you try to get people like me to shut up by using words like that! It's pretty cowardly. You can't address the substance of the argument so you try to bully.

The point there is - that's not my quote. And yes you were preaching. Much the same as previous tbh.
    If advocating for justice is preachy then so be it, but I know exactly what you're doing.
    Your own definition of 'justice'? Ah come on - less of the SJW stuff already ...
    Yeah you don't need to eat any of the above you know? That said, if you put any objective research into the area, you'd find that animal products are the far less ethical and far more environmentally damaging foodstuffs. Most soy is grown for animal feed for Christ sake...
    Vegan diets are far cheaper.

No vegan diet is locally sustainable here - that's the point. Vegan 'diets are cheaper because they rely on cheap imported produce from third world countries or on foodstuffs produced in areas with few if any environmental or ethical standards unlike locallly produced food. You will also find out if you do any bit of research that globally 85% of soya is grown to extract soya oil mainly used in processed foodstuffs. The left overs or waste product - 'soya meal' is mainly fed to animals. So yes soya grown primarily goes to feed humans - the left overs get fed to animals. Go figure.
    I don't mind if veganism is part of my identity. Everybody holds beliefs that are part of their identity. What's your point?The point of veganism is that you don't see yourself as better than anyone else. Vegans aren't the ones who take lives for a moment's sensory pleasure. I don't feel entitled to be damaging the earth needlessly so I do everything I can not to.
    Whatever your idea is about my life, i can assure you, apart from not exploiting animals I live a very normal life. Veganism can be for anyone.

You appeared to have adopted all the propaganda with little of the understanding. I wouldn't stress about it too much tbh ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Now that she's already hurt farmers feelings it would be a good time to tell them to stop dumping their waste in rivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Folks, nobody is being forced to do anything.

There are far bigger concerns to focus your energy on.
    No there aren't. This dying planet and the impending extinction of our species are the most important concerns facing us at the moment.

The permanently outraged meat eaters in this thread should reflect on their robbing of their grandchildren's future as they choke down each rancid bite of their steaks. The price they're paying for a burger and chips is the eventual annihilation of their lineal descendency, doomed to eventual societal collapse and premature deaths and the blackened promise of the human race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    No there aren't. This dying planet and the impending extinction of our species are the most important concerns facing us at the moment.

The permanently outraged meat eaters in this thread should reflect on their robbing of their grandchildren's future as they choke down each rancid bite of their steaks. The price they're paying for a burger and chips is the eventual annihilation of their lineal descendency, doomed to eventual societal collapse and premature deaths and the blackened promise of the human race.

I've never eaten a rancid steak and I doubt many others have. Where did you get that idea? I also don't have grandkids.

You should try a steak though, would go down much better than that dictionary you swallowed.

Meanwhile soybeans are killing the Amazon rain forest.

https://kids.mongabay.com/elementary/soy.html

As well of course the transport costs, much higher than the local farm to plate beef in the supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

..... each rancid bite of their steaks....

See that's where you're going wrong, you're supposed to eat them before they go green.

It's not red meat that's bad for ya, it's green meat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I read this as i enjoy my 2 pork chops.

I love animals. Wouldnt hurt a hair on the head if one of them. Ever. But i love meat. It doesnt make me a bad person. Just weak i guess but i couldnt be vegetarian never mind vegan. But i do admire those who are.
    Now Mary Robinson. Thats another post.

Patww79 wrote: »
    I've never eaten a rancid steak and I doubt many others have. Where did you get that idea? I also don't have grandkids.

You should try a steak though, would go down much better than that dictionary you swallowed.
    You can be as glib as you like. We'll see how funny you'll find it when the world around us crumbles as the sea levels rise. Our grandchildren will be land-refugees, fleeing like rats from the over-ripe fruits of the hubris of man and machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

You can be as glib as you like. We'll see how funny you'll find it when the world around us crumbles as the sea levels rise. Our grandchildren will be land-refugees, fleeing like rats from the over-ripe fruits of the hubris of man and machine.

Like I said, I don't have grandchildren. Nor do I care about anyone elses.

_

Lol. Private car? Public transport? Fossil fuels or carbon based energy to heat your home? Cheap imported foods? All these contribute to the number one major contributors to environmental pollution. But I guess that doesn't fit with the hyperbole does it

Seems like you swallowed that big ol propaganda pill there tbh WH and looks like it's given you the verbal scutters :pac:

Patww79 wrote: »
    Like I said, I don't have grandchildren. Not do I care about anyone elses.

^^^ Folks we have the winner. The most important thing you can do for this planet. Don't replicate. Kudos.

Now if only we could educate the veganistas .. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

when vegan food tastes as good as non vegan food, I will become vegan

Chips.

gozunda wrote: »
    Lol. Private car? Public transport? Fossil fuels or carbon based energy to heat your home? Cheap imported foods? All these contribute to the number one major contributors to environmental pollution. But I guess that doesn't fit with the hyperbole does it

Seems like you swallowed that big ol propaganda pill there tbh WH and looks like it's given you the verbal scutters :pac:
    "Propaganda."

Do you deny, then, that humans' dependence on those same fossil fuels has lead to our species' hanging on the precipice of extinction? You accuse me of propaganda and yet you stand here opposed to the scientific consensus. The rape of our planet and continued denial of same is our greatest shame, a thousand Holocausts, and you're laughing in the chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

We are eating too much meat anyway,
    Less on the plate
    I have gone a bit vegetarian, Milk, Eggs, Cheese and so on is much of my animal products these days,
    Would not touch a sausage, god knows what is in it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Not in Ireland. You know what cattle eat here? Grass. Even in winter. There is some animal feed but proportionality less than the US.

If you are importing soy it’s a cost to the environment.

:pac: I'm aware
    The point there is - that's not my quote. And yes you were preaching. Much the same as previous tbh.
    Okay good stuff
    Your own definition of 'justice'? Ah come on - less of the SJW stuff already ...
    I'm sorry that you see justice as a bad thing. Says a lot about one's character.

No vegan diet is locally sustainable here - that's the point. Vegan 'diets are cheaper because they rely on cheap imported produce from third world countries or on foodstuffs produced in areas with few if any environmental or ethical standards unlike locallly produced food.
    Give me the low down on a fully balanced diet, that is all produced in Ireland so? Literally give me your meal plan and show me how it accounts for all of your nutritional needs. This has nothing to do with veganism in any case. Can you show me a person who doesn't eat any imported food?

How much beef does Ireland export again?

I eat fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, seeds etc. I don't need any processed food.
    you will also find out if you do any bit of research that globally 85% of soya is grown to extract soya oil mainly used in processed foodstuffs. The left overs or waste product - 'soya meal' is mainly fed to animals. So yes soya grown primarily goes to feed humans - the left overs get fed to animals. Go figure.

First of all, I'm pretty sure you just made that up and can't back your claim with a source. 80% of Soy bean, that the Amazon rainforest is being chopped down to grow, is for animal agriculture. https://globalforestatlas.yale.edu/amazon/land-use/soy

And it's 67% worldwide
    https://globalforestatlas.yale.edu/land-use/industrial-agriculture/soy-agriculture

So get out of here with your fake sh*t
    You appeared to have adopted all the propaganda with little of the understanding. I wouldn't stress about it too much tbh ...
    Ironic that you have no self awareness

"Propaganda."

Do you deny, then, that humans' dependence on those same fossil fuels has lead to our species' hanging on the precipice of extinction? You accuse me of propaganda and yet you stand here opposed to the scientific consensus. The rape of our planet and continued denial of same is our greatest shame, a thousand Holocausts, and you're laughing in the chamber.

Are you living on air, or is it like Mary one law for the goose, another for the gander.

I don’t even think you’re a vegan. You would have said.

• Advertisement

:pac: I'm aware

Okay good stuff

I'm sorry that you see justice as a bad thing. Says a lot about one's character.

Give me the low down on a fully balanced diet, that is all produced in Ireland so? Literally give me your meal plan and show me how it accounts for all of your nutritional needs. This has nothing to do with veganism in any case. Can you show me a person who doesn't eat any imported food?

How much beef does Ireland export again?

I eat fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, seeds etc. I don't need any processed food.

First of all, I'm pretty sure you just made that up and can't back your claim with a source. 80% of Soy bean, that the Amazon rainforest is being chopped down to grow, is for animal agriculture. https://globalforestatlas.yale.edu/amazon/land-use/soy

And it's 67% worldwide
    https://globalforestatlas.yale.edu/land-use/industrial-agriculture/soy-agriculture

So get out of here with your fake sh*t

Ironic that you have no self awareness

In all of that you haven’t factored in (again) transport costs. Eating local food clearly reduces that carbon foot print. Therefore in a country with an indigenous and local dairy and meat production the carbon cost is often lower than fruits. Which have to be imported

I read this as i enjoy my 2 pork chops.

I love animals. Wouldnt hurt a hair on the head if one of them. Ever. But i love meat. It doesnt make me a bad person. Just weak i guess but i couldnt be vegetarian never mind vegan. But i do admire those who are.
    Now Mary Robinson. Thats another post.

Sorry to break it to you but you can't murder something you love. This is not the same as putting down a sick dog, we're talking about raising animals for the sole purpose of slaughter and doing so when they are effectively children.
    ^^^ Folks we have the winner. The most important thing you can do for this planet. Don't replicate. Kudos.

Now if only we could educate the veganistas .. ;)

Cool nickname. A lot of vegans are anti natalist already. No one trick ponies.
    Poor Mary is a wee bit behind the times, again.
    https://twitter.com/SBakerMD/status/1049696517177503745
    The third graph there is the interesting one, agricultural emissions dropping but the rest of the emissions on a huge upward surge. People may have to look a bit closer to home than is comfortable to reduce emissions.

But, yeah, beef is the cause:rolleyes:

I hope you're aware of the amount of methane produced by animal agriculture? Do you know how much more lethal methane is to the environment than even Co2?

"Propaganda."

But you're thd one going on about 'rancid' beef :pac:

I pointed out that fossil fuels and transport are in fact the planet's number one issue atm. So do yis do any of that - driving and such? or are you just ranting or something? Either way ye still have a bad dose of the verbal scutters there I'm afraid. Couldn't make head nor tail of most of it tbh ...

Cool nickname. A lot of vegans are anti natalist already. No one trick ponies.

Delighted to hear that ....

In all of that you haven’t factored in (again) transport costs. Eating local food clearly reduces that carbon foot print. Therefore in a country with an indigenous and local dairy and meat production the carbon cost is often lower than fruits. Which have to be imported

Pretty sure everyone eats (Or should eat) fruit. We can grow peas and beans in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There's a thread about vegans or vegetarian being 'preachy' here at least once a month. These threads are full of preachiness about how a meat based diet is better.

Why the fuck it matters to anyone that someone chooses not to eat meat is beyond me.

There's about as many foreign ingredients in processed meat as there is in soya or Quorn by the way. Some of them even use soya as a filling ingredient. If you don't want to give up meat because you enjoy it that's understandable but this shit about caring for the planet more than vegetarians is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

We need to get more food globally? Surely that’s a carbon producer. Did you mean locally?

Ireland is different from other countries that may have to import lots of food, in theory we don’t except what is not grown here.

There have already been food shortages. that's what started the war in Syria and the Arab spring in Egypt. Globally climate change is changing the way we produce food and it's availability. In many ways it's going to be one of the biggest impacts on humanity from climate change

I'm aware
    Okay good stuff I'm sorry that you see justice as a bad thing. Says a lot about one's character.Give me the low down on a fully balanced diet, that is all produced in Ireland so? Literally give me your meal plan and show me how it accounts for all of your nutritional needs. This has nothing to do with veganism in any case. Can you show me a person who doesn't eat any imported food?How much beef does Ireland export again? I eat fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, seeds etc. I don't need any processed food. First of all, I'm pretty sure you just made that up and can't back your claim with a source. 80% of Soy bean, that the Amazon rainforest is being chopped down to grow, is for animal agriculture. So get out of here with your fake sh*t Ironic that you have no self awareness

Yup not 'justice' btw but SJW for sure. It remains no vegan diet is locally sustainable and so mainly relies on cheap imported foods produced in areas with few if any environmental or ethical standards. (Which you are promoting!) But I see you don't care about any of that or the fuel miles and fossil fuel usage for some reason - odd indeed.

The trouble you see Eartrin is that veganistas rely on misinformation whilst really knowing feck all at all or failing to understand the actual facts. Unfortunately it doesn't stop them spreading the same bull crap (or as you call it 'fake ****') all the same lol.

You want the real facts about soya ?

Industry data* show that approx "85% of the world’s soya beans are processed, or "crushed," to produce soya bean oil and the crushed soya meal as a waste product of that process. See:

* Diagram
    http://www.kvsgs.com/en/images/stories/page/table29.jpg

* Data
    http://www.oilseedandgrain.com/soy-facts

* Method
    https://www.soya.be/soybean-oil-production.php

Soya meal is actually a waste product of the process of extracting this soya oil from the soya beans.

The most valuable component of crushed soya beans - oil, is primarily used for human consumption, although the proportion used for biodiesel production is growing rapidly, especially in the U.S. Soybean oil, extracted from the seeds of soybean, is one of the most widely consumed cooking oil across the world. See:
    https://www.spendedge.com/blogs/top-ten-manufacturers-soybean-oil-market

That waste product of the oil extraction process ie the meal is used to make animal feed. (For any given amount of soybean processed the Oil extracted accounts for approx 20% by volume whilst the remainder - waste product makes up 80%*).

* note this is where your '80%' figure comes from.

It would appear that most but not all of the waste 'meal' is diverted into animal and pet foods.

Of the 15% not used to make soya oil - "approximately 6% is used directly as human food, mostly in Asia. Other uses such as additives and derivatives for various industries account the remaining 9%.
    "
    So the majority of soya meal is being used to feed animals is in fact a waste product of soya oil production for human consumption. So all those acres in the Brazilian rain forest are not been cut down to fuel animal feed rather to produce soya oil for human consumption.

Happy now?

No need to make personal comments btw - remember the lowest form of argument which you tried previously? It didn't work then did it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Seen a sign in a shop the other week that I should have taken a pic of.

"I did not rise to the top of the food chain to become a vegan"

Advertisement