Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London protests for second Brexit Vote

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

lawred2 wrote: »
    Doesn't sound Irish at all. Irish people are relatively well politically engaged.

However it does sound very British. Ignorant ill informed tropery.

I would like to disagree but....

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

It was idiotic in the first place to put a yes/no vote to referendum when there wasn't a clear two choice option.

The Blasphemy Law Referendum on Friday is a clear yes/no choice. Take it out of the constitution Yes, or leave it in No.

If the British agree to a clear absolute deal to their leaving. Then I think a second referendum can be held because there will be a definitive choice between what Remain and Leave actually mean.

Considering the consequences of the original Brexit Referendum, it should have been a multiple choice on the ballot, and then a further run off. Something like Remain completely/Remain but there must be special concessions for Britain/Leave no matter what/ Leave while making concessions to the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

On an aside, David Cameron opted for a simple yes/no referendum. He could have offered a multiple choice referendum giving other options like should they withdraw from the Nice treaty or the Maastrict treaty. They would still be signed up as EEC members. Forcing a simple yes/no choice backfired spectacularly. Unless the UK competes for world trade, they will regret Brexit. I cannot see contemporary Brits competing like they did in the days of empire. Kids will not salvage pallet nails from the Thames or climb up chimneys to clean them out. Maids will not curtsy their masters anymore nor do workers have the stomach for long hours picking oakum. The workhouses are of course gone and there is the costly welfare state to maintain.

I just don`t see Britain competing with China. In any case, without serious competitive practices, tight fiscal discipline and the power of the block that comes with large trading areas, the odds are stacked against them. I still think another referendum would be an affront to democracy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I love Fintan's thoughts on Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,602 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This post has been deleted.

So part of your reason for not supporting a 2nd referendum is the threat of violence from the brexiteers if the vote goes against them...

Right. So much for the 'will of the people'

If Brexit happens, the 'skeptics' won't be silenced, they'll be blamed for all the problems caused by brexit itself. It'll be a complete disaster, but rather than Farage and Mogg etc accepting responsibility, they'll start blaming the EU, and May, and the 'soft brexiters' and Ireland, and immigrants, and 'globalists' and whoever else they think they can scapegoat for the problems of their own making.

Advertisement