Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London protests for second Brexit Vote

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

mad muffin wrote: »
    The thing is… gay marriage and abortion only affect a small minority of the population. The vote ended in the right result.

Brexit affects everyone. Even us in Ireland and we didn’t vote on it.

Also adding that gay marriage for example has no external dependencies whatsoever, unlike Brexit, where its obvious that Brexit leadership had failed what they were supposed to do to achieve success of the cause they were selling before the vote.
    For sure there should be consequences to that.

Btw - where are things with the Russian influence over the Brexit vote ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Did you vote in the Abortion, Marriage, et al referendum here after Ireland re ran Lisburn. The UK electorate were lied to and deceived, and it has lead to the whole sh!testorm they are now in. I hope they get a revote, now that they know, or at least has a better idea, on what it really entails.

well then the youth should have gotten off their votes and gone out to vote.
    But they couldn't be arsed.
    Now they have to pay their price so maybe next time they won't be so lackadaisical about it.
    And just because a few hundred thousand people are out protesting doesn't mean anything.
    What if they did a new referendum..it barely got through and all the people who voted no went out and protested and demanded a new vote?
    I'm pretty sure the yes voters would tell them to frak off and suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Blazer wrote: »
    well then the youth should have gotten off their votes and gone out to vote.
    But they couldn't be arsed.
    Now they have to pay their price so maybe next time they won't be so lackadaisical about it.

this is something I agree with, but I think the price could be how they need to work harder at fixing it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

PCX wrote: »
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">"Let's get back to being the British Empire" - this leave voter at the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SaveBrexitRally?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw&quot;&gt;#SaveBrexitRally&lt;/a&gt; in Harrogate explains why he doesn't want a <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PeoplesVote?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw&quot;&gt;#PeoplesVote&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;Read more about the Brexit marches taking place across the UK here: <a href="https://t.co/yjolYwzM8j"&gt;https://t.co/yjolYwzM8j</a> <a href="https://t.co/HUQIZmxoLH">pic.twitter.com/HUQIZmxoLH</a></p>&mdash; Sky News (@SkyNews) <a href=" 20, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js&quot; charset="utf-8"></script>

Putinbot malfunction…

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

F*ck off Europe, we all voted out,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

mad muffin wrote: »
    Putinbot malfunction…

No I'm not a putinbot but I am really bad at embedding stuff apparently!:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Massive majority voted to Repeal and for gay marriage, Brexit was close and the voters were lied to.
    Cameron told the big lie that if he did not get any concessions from the Eu he would vote for Brexit and recommend voting for Brexit .

He got nothing from the Eu and did the opposite of what he said he would do = He lied .

That Referendum started with Cameron's lie .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Surely Scotland will get their Independance vote (and probably leave), before there is another Brexit (only 2yrs since last one).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It was the will of the people at the time of the vote.

And now it's not.

If the will of the people was that the marriage equality bill didn't pass, then should that be that. "sorry gay people, tough ****, go be equal somewhere else"

The will of the people 35 years ago here is that there should be no abortion and no divorce . Same sex marriage wasn't legal until the will of the people changed .

The will of the people changes in the time between general elections.

Brexit is more important than all of those in the sense that it's even more final. If theyd voted remain and not triggered article 50 they could have voted again and triggered it at a later date. If they leave it's not just a case of having a vote in a few years and jumping back in.

Surely Scotland will get their Independance vote (and probably leave), before there is another Brexit (only 2yrs since last one).

This was my point earlier. Leavers seem very hypocritical in this regard. Surely the UK is just a smaller version of the Eu (though much "worse" in their opinion seeing as the other parts have less control ) and Scotland, Wales and NI should be set free from distant rule of London?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

FTA69 wrote: »

good luck then. dont forget to pay the bill before you leave. put in euros as sterling will drop like a stone after

So just leave and stop looking for all the benefits of being in the Eu

• as sterling will drop like a stone after

On another note if brexit happens and the sterling drops in value massively I’ll be delighted. Ordering left and right off amazon for half nothing.

On another note if brexit happens and the sterling drops in value massively I’ll be delighted. Ordering left and right off amazon for half nothing.

Assuming the difference won't be made up of import taxes seeing as you'll be buying from outside the eu.......

This was my point earlier. Leavers seem very hypocritical in this regard. Surely the UK is just a smaller version of the Eu (though much "worse" in their opinion seeing as the other parts have less control ) and Scotland, Wales and NI should be set free from distant rule of London?

Indeed, instead of Brexit v2 after just 2yrs. Scottiland (and NI) should have a say on their future in light of the cluster**** of centrist political mis-management from the folks around the private bars of big ben.

Perhaps a new 'celtic nordic union' could be the way forward for Scot/NI/Ire, Sweden & Denmark are getting the EU-jitters and Norway has a load of oil that would be a great guest at any party.

explain your logic on this ? UK stopped manufacturing decades ago. goods will be more expensive for people earning in sterling

Would there be no import taxes and duties to pay? (If hardon brexit occurs).

If you order something of value direct from the US/China it will involve additional fees.

not a chance will Scotland vote for independence.
    They're terrified of being on their own as they're highly dependent on the uk..all those nice big sums of money that were floated around from their oil revenues was just lies so they're ****ed if they back independence.

not a chance will Scotland vote for independence.
    They're terrified of being on their own as they're highly dependent on the uk..all those nice big sums of money that were floated around from their oil revenues was just lies so they're ****ed if they back independence.

Every chance indeed of an Independent Scotland, they didn't want brexit and yet they have it, and it's not going to well.

Would there be no import taxes and duties to pay? (If hardon brexit occurs).

If you order something of value direct from the US/China it will involve additional fees.

ah . forget about the taxes side. if your currency is worth alot less than before the cost of importing goods made in another country will be alot more. Do you understand exchange rates and the implications of that ?

• Advertisement

• explain your logic on this ? UK stopped manufacturing decades ago. goods will be more expensive for people earning in sterling

Perhaps. I don’t think that would happen immediately following. Amazon will have paid whatever price for the intake of stock at the time. Maybe there will be an immediate price hike but I guess I’ll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Massive majority voted to Repeal and for gay marriage, Brexit was close and the voters were lied to.

On both sides.

Every chance indeed of an Independent Scotland, they didn't want brexit and yet they have it, and it's not going to well.

yes but they will have to apply for EU membership...and there's not a chance Scotland would meet the criteria for membership financially.

ah . forget about the taxes side. if your currency is worth alot less than before the cost of importing goods made in another country will be alot more. Do you understand exchange rates and the implications of that ?

The only thing certain in life is death and taxes, Fx rates are volatile and subject to change with the wind (may be of benefit, but may not).

Perhaps. I don’t think that would happen immediately following. Amazon will have paid whatever price for the intake of stock at the time. Maybe there will be an immediate price hike but I guess I’ll see.

you are in for a rude awaking

• you are in for a rude awaking

Yeah I’m gonna be sorely disappointed. I’ve planned my whole years Christmas and birthdays around this. :pac:

yes but they will have to apply for EU membership...and there's not a chance Scotland would meet the criteria for membership financially.

An emotive vote, especially in light of the current situation doesn't care much about small print or consequences.

What you are implying is that no small break-away country can ever leave the EU (and have the option to join) Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I never said I'd oppose those efforts. Where did I say that?

My initial point was, if people who were and still are anti abortion or anti gay marriage asked for a referendum to have the yes vote(s) overturned would they get it?

The answer is no.

I'm asking why should Brexit be treated differently.

If there was evidence to suggest public opinion has reversed on these issues them there should be second referendums.

Those that fear a second vote do not do so out of democratic principles, but they only fear that they will be beaten.

There is a tendency to treat politics like sport, "you were beaten, get over it". I think the discussion on how society is set up is far more important than that however, and if you believe in something it is your right to object to it to the very end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Accumulaor wrote: »
    The Scots rejected Independence only a few years ago . = Not a Real Country

If the SNP had won the Scottish Independence referendum by 52% to 48% would the SNP be calling for another referendum ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

We're trying to fcuk off but you cnuts keep having protests. Make up your minds.

Advertisement