Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pull up bar for larger door frame

Options
  • 15-05-2019 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

I recently purchased a Power Bar 2, having seen it recommended here.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerbar-assembly-Folds-Design-protectors/dp/B00376I6G4/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=power+bar+2&qid=1557919090&s=gateway&sr=8-3

While it seems solid it does not fit my door frame, which has an unusually high and deep architrave being in an old building.

Online searches found very little variation in the basic designs of the door-frame mounted pull up bars available and far less that give any proper dimensions to allow me to choose something that fits.

Is there any location, online or bricks and mortar shop, that people can recommend for finding something that would suit me?

Any help with this is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭xckjoo

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I recently purchased a Power Bar 2, having seen it recommended here.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerbar-assembly-Folds-Design-protectors/dp/B00376I6G4/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=power+bar+2&qid=1557919090&s=gateway&sr=8-3

While it seems solid it does not fit my door frame, which has an unusually high and deep architrave being in an old building.

Online searches found very little variation in the basic designs of the door-frame mounted pull up bars available and far less that give any proper dimensions to allow me to choose something that fits.

Is there any location, online or bricks and mortar shop, that people can recommend for finding something that would suit me?

Any help with this is much appreciated.

I too have weird doors and never found a pull up bar to fit them. Had to do some lateral thinking and ended up putting a bar across my attic hatch and hanging rings from it. Works well for me

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

xckjoo wrote: »
    IHad to do some lateral thinking and ended up putting a bar across my attic hatch and hanging rings from it. Works well for me
    I do this, I have used a barbell but it can roll, so I got a rectangular block of wood off an old pallet which does not shift much.

I had plastic rings but got wooden ones and much prefer the feel of the wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into the attic solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

If you're not against doing some minor damage that is repairable. Get two 6 inch screws and put them in at a downward angle. Prop your bar across them and you're good to go. When you're leaving take out the screws and fill in the holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Sorry if I'm hijacking but my question kind of relates. I'm struggling for reps on the door frame pull up bar. Anyone recommend resistance straps to help out. Not quite sure what I'm looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Sorry if I'm hijacking but my question kind of relates. I'm struggling for reps on the door frame pull up bar. Anyone recommend resistance straps to help out. Not quite sure what I'm looking for.

You can get some resistance bands, e.g. at D8 Fitness, that you can loop round it and reduce the resistance you're pulling

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm struggling for reps on the door frame pull up bar. Anyone recommend resistance straps to help out. Not quite sure what I'm looking for.

I have used old inner tubes from bikes as a cheap option. I do not like using resistance bands for chinups, I would rather do "negative only" reps -I would stand up on a chair to get in the upmost position then lower yourself down in a controlled manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

You can get some resistance bands,

, that you can loop round it and reduce the resistance you're pulling

Thanks that's just what I'm looking for

rubadub wrote:
    I have used old inner tubes from bikes as a cheap option. I do not like using resistance bands for chinups, I would rather do "negative only" reps -I would stand up on a chair to get in the upmost position then lower yourself down in a controlled manner.

Does this aid in increasing strength?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Does this aid in increasing strength?

What rubadub described is doing the negative (lowering) portion as slow and controlled as possible. It's a building block to improving ability to do full pull ups

Advertisement