Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭YNWA27

Toots123 wrote: »
    Are you given choices? Or just allocated.

Given up to four choices of district, but no choice of station.

You get to preference a station on your district visit.

4 choices are equally weighted

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Shz93

Would they expect you to work in your home town?? Dont think i would like that to begin with.

Is there not a rule that you can't work in your hometown? Wouldn't be a big of that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Throwaway36

Last year it was discussed that having your credit searched was a sign the vetting process was nearing completion given the cost involved. Now would be a good time for those also in FT to check searches on their account using Experian...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Army654

What grade did you get at AC?

I think fast track will all have medical in June
    Got a mid B, just dont want to be caught out with the medical before the op. But im pretty sure wont be for a long time yet

Last year it was discussed that having your credit searched was a sign the vetting process was nearing completion given the cost involved. Now would be a good time for those also in FT to check searches on their account using Experian...

What's your commission? Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Toots123

Morning guys all very quiet on the thread for a few days. Do you think we will receive out Merit numbers this coming week.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭MidwifeN

Morning guys all very quiet on the thread for a few days. Do you think we will receive out Merit numbers this coming week.

Think everyone is on a massive come down after that ordeal lol. Or maybe everyone is busy out running every spare minute now... not sure about merit numbers but I would doubt it toots last year they didnt hear for a full month after the email we got about passed to psni stages

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭E18

Am I the only one not wanting to hear for a while to allow more time to train for the pca? I am so unfit.

Thursday seems to be the magic day of the week for PSNI recruitment.

Fiver on thursday? Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Down2Business

YNWA27 wrote: »
    Thursday seems to be the magic day of the week for PSNI recruitment.

Fiver on thursday? Lol

I’ll raise your fiver to £7.50 for Friday 😂

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 SAPY

Anyone know how far down the ML they got in the last cycle?

SAPY wrote: »
    Anyone know how far down the ML they got in the last cycle?

Seen in the 1710 thread that in the last week or so, someone around 775 got a call for the June intake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Unknowndude

Seen in the 1710 thread that in the last week or so, someone around 775 got a call for the June intake.

Gives plenty of hope lol but suppose it depends on the size of the ML this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Toots123

Hopefully not too long until we get through this final parts. Running the legs of myself!lol

E18 wrote: »
    Am I the only one not wanting to hear for a while to allow more time to train for the pca? I am so unfit.
    100% more time the better lol

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Aimforstars

Anyone slightly nervous or really nervous about PCA. Mine is extremely soon. Taking day off my usual Sunday exercise but maybe will do exercise bike to keep legs ticking over.

Anyone slightly nervous or really nervous about PCA. Mine is extremely soon. Taking day off my usual Sunday exercise but maybe will do exercise bike to keep legs ticking over.

I’m getting quite nervous now, not for any obstacle in particular just for the feeling when your first lap starts and there is no going back...

Im nervous for that wall I have zero upper body strength its a bit ridiculous really lol. Bit jealous of any fast trackers getting tjeirs over with and being able to properly enjoy the Summer though

MidwifeN wrote: »
    Im nervous for that wall I have zero upper body strength its a bit ridiculous really lol. Bit jealous of any fast trackers getting tjeirs over with and being able to properly enjoy the Summer though

Same! My main worry though is the climbing wall on the last lap! lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Greyhound79

I'm just wondering if I will be allowed to dangle a jam doughnut on a stick in front of me to keep my momentum going??!! What's the chances?

I'm just wondering if I will be allowed to dangle a jam doughnut on a stick in front of me to keep my momentum going??!! What's the chances?

I'd need a Lidls 3 pack of them, minimum, to get me through it

Can you imagine that? Maybe some sweets instead so like a trail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Orbital1

MidwifeN wrote: »
    Don't worry about the wall! Is surprisingly mostly legs and there are foot pegs to assist you, practice fast pace moving across a balance beam... Also if I had to do it again I would practice walking up stairs hunched over lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11 B00724991 mc

Most important thing is to take your time too many people I hear worrying about getting a fast time etc just take each obstacle at a good pace u'll make up your time at the end in the sprint this is where u should put in a big effort. I wouldnt consider myself an athlete and passed with 28 secs to spare, it is tough course but not as daunting as people make out sometimes

Good realistic advice,I think taking your time and executing the obstacles correctly is definitely the way to go and like you said on that straight run you can make up some time. I haven't done it yet lol but that will be my approach and I will take a stopwatch with me and have a glance at it after 1 lap and that will tell me how I'm doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Kbe173

Good realistic advice,I think taking your time and executing the obstacles correctly is definitely the way to go and like you said on that straight run you can make up some time. I haven't done it yet lol but that will be my approach and I will take a stopwatch with me and have a glance at it after 1 lap and that will tell me how I'm doing.

Youre not allowed any type of watch on at all so its quite difficult to guage how youre doing. I went hell for leather from the start and it definately payed off cause I feel I was almost walking the 3rd lap!!
    Iv'e also done zero type of training the past 4weeks due to other commitments but if I had to do it again Id definately put a bit more effort in beforehand so my lungs didnt try to make their way out my mouth afterwards!!

Most important thing is to take your time too many people I hear worrying about getting a fast time etc just take each obstacle at a good pace u'll make up your time at the end in the sprint this is where u should put in a big effort. I wouldnt consider myself an athlete and passed with 28 secs to spare, it is tough course but not as daunting as people make out sometimes

Great advice

That's my watch out the window then lol that's sneaky not being allowed a watch lol do you get told there and then the time you got? Did you pass it ok kbe? Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kbe173

That's my watch out the window then lol that's sneaky not being allowed a watch lol do you get told there and then the time you got? Did you pass it ok kbe? Thanks for the advice

Yea I passed! Thank goodness, wouldnt want to do it again. I know, Id bought a stopwatch just because I thought it would give me motivation to quicken up etc but its hard to tell how much time has passed. I had to redo an obstacle too!

Good luck to all those with theie date soon!!

Just to be clear, I've checked it out a million times so pretty sure this is a stupid question. Do you hit the obstacles once and then do three laps round. Or is it 3 complete laps of the obstacles. I'm going to guess its the second one?

• Advertisement

Kbe173 wrote: »
    Yea I passed! Thank goodness, wouldnt want to do it again. I know, Id bought a stopwatch just because I thought it would give me motivation to quicken up etc but its hard to tell how much time has passed. I had to redo an obstacle too!

Good luck to all those with theie date soon!!

Well done! Especially having to re do an obstacle,it would be easy to panic a bit in that situation and you don't know how the time is going lol thanks,best of luck for the rest of your journey

Army654 wrote: »
    Just to be clear, I've checked it out a million times so pretty sure this is a stupid question. Do you hit the obstacles once and then do three laps round. Or is it 3 complete laps of the obstacles. I'm going to guess its the second one?

I'm near sure its 3 laps of the complete course (obstacles included) ,that's what I took from the wee video but I could be wrong lol

Gutted about the lack of watch, that would have been handy. Does anyone know if you do it it front of other candidates?

Army654 wrote: »

It’s 3 laps of obstacles unfortunately.
    Shz93 wrote: »
    Gutted about the lack of watch, that would have been handy. Does anyone know if you do it it front of other candidates?

Nope, everyone waits outside until it is there go. There is a bit of overlap, for example on your last lap the next candidate will enter the hall but you don’t notice.

Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up for me lol.

Do you find out straight away if you passed or not? Thanks for answering so many questions lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RedtopXCV

Do you find out straight away if you passed or not? Thanks for answering so many questions lol

I have heard they give you an envelope straight away telling you if you have passed or failed

Once everyone finishes, they will hand out envelopes. You are not allowed to open the envelope until you leave PSNI premises. Your results are printed inside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dromore_2019

Passed PCA today. Very tough going. Got a time of 3 mins 11 sec Not as easy as video makes it look. Think everyone in today found it tough enough. I made no errors which probably helped me achieve the pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Raini

Passed PCA today with a good time was over the moon as you really have no idea until you get that envelope. Good luck to all doing it. And please remember to tie your laces before going in!!!! This took about 6 secs off my time in there 😂🀦*♀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Raini

And well done to all who passed today!!

Orbital1 wrote: »
    Don't worry about the wall! Is surprisingly mostly legs and there are foot pegs to assist you, practice fast pace moving across a balance beam... Also if I had to do it again I would practice walking up stairs hunched over lol

Is the wall really more about legs? I would consider my legs stronger than core and upper body. How hunched over?

Congrats to all who passed today! You're superstars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Orbital1

Is the wall really more about legs? I would consider my legs stronger than core and upper body. How hunched over?
    It is mostly upward drive from the legs...
    Watch the video on the website and you will understand what I mean about hunching over when going up stairs...

Well done to those who passed

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gonzo94

Hi all :)

I've been lurking here for some time so decided to create an account. I passed the AC this year (52) after failing the IST in the last campaign by 1 point. I know it's probably a long way off for me but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the vetting forms? Do they ask for information regarding aunts and uncles? I have one particular uncle who I'm worried might cause me to fail the vetting.

Max respect to all those who have got this far!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MD4PSNI

Congrats to all the PCA passes!! Well Done!!

Does the hall still leave you feeling like you have a mouthful of blood and about to cough a lung up?

Gonzo94 wrote: »

I've been lurking here for some time so decided to create an account. I passed the AC this year (52) after failing the IST in the last campaign by 1 point. I know it's probably a long way off for me but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the vetting forms? Do they ask for information regarding aunts and uncles? I have one particular uncle who I'm worried might cause me to fail the vetting.

More immediate family e.g. siblings etc parents ... partners parents

Congrats! :) I had the same worry.

@Aimforstars Partners parents? is this still the case if you're unmarried? My partner is estranged from his Dad, but I think he's maybe be in bother in the past, I wonder would this affect me?

• Advertisement

Shz93 wrote: »

Congrats! :) I had the same worry.

@Aimforstars Partners parents? is this still the case if you're unmarried? My partner is estranged from his Dad, but I think he's maybe be in bother in the past, I wonder would this affect me?

Just write estranged then, I did

Advertisement