Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rage 2 (confirmed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

goon_magee wrote:
    Sounds very light on content, 10 story missions with the story ending just as it gets going.

If there is only 10 missions what is the point of the open world? :confused:
    Just do what Dishonored or the New Wolfenstein are doing with large open levels. Glad I waited for the reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

ERG89 wrote: »
    If there is only 10 missions what is the point of the open world? :confused:
    Just do what Dishonored or the New Wolfenstein are doing with large open levels. Glad I waited for the reviews.

I think that approach would maybe work a lot better. The gamesradar review said something similar, along the lines of the campaign feeling like it would be more suited to a more structured approach.

You don't even visit two of the main regions in the game as part of the campaign. Makes me wonder if the roadmap actually was cut content given how sparse content seems to be at launch. It's strange how a roadmap is continuously lambasted when it's tied to an online live service game like the Division or Anthem, but when a single player game launches in what sounds like an incomplete state the roadmap garners relatively little attention.

I've not played the game, so I'm speculating of course. I'll probably still grab it, blast through what is there and flog it in CEX once done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Not liking the sound of it being that short, but, if it is short it just means i'll get Days Gone for €20 in a week or so.

Played a couple of hours this eve. Seems good, combat feels great but the open world is definitely lacking.very empty, and not in a desolate but believable way, more it just feels flat and artificial as Avalanche open world's tend to feel. Definitely excited to play more though as the gameplay is on point.

I have to call out the upgrade system, it is unnecessarily convoluted. I'm sure it'll make more sense with a bit more time invested, but it's a bit overwhelming when you first jump in.

Yeah, as above, only a few hours in. THe story, if you can call it that, is just there to tie in all the locations I'd imagine. Even the main character references it (imo) with a line like 'Tell me where to go and what to kill' - 'You catch on quick'. Although, it's still very early days, the story may get better.

Weapons and abilities, again as above seems a bit convoluted. You can unlock perks, and each perk can then be upgraded. But it doesn't tell you everything about it, so I figured out that you can only upgrade each level of a weapon once, and depending the perk you pick for that level, you will lock out the other options. No idea if you can change this down the line, and not sure if it also works that way with the ability perks. Early days. Could also just be information overload at this point though.

It's violent, like super violent. Loved how you picked your character and what happens immediately afterwards, especially if you have a good look and you get the comment. One of the main characters is a hoot, lovely language. Haven't met Danny Dyer yet, but can't recall if he's an NPC, a playable voice over for your character, or he was just in it for the marketing. If his voice over is an option for my character, it could warrant another playthrough.

Oh, and no sound or music in the menus. Even spending points on abilities/unlocks doesn't make a sound. I've come to expect some sort of bar filling sound, but nothing until it's unlocked. They need to add some nice BGM to the menus. But the audio in game, so far, is good. Playing around on the sewer mission for one of the contacts, and the bgm was heavy and meaty and gave a sense of urgency. But it doesn't play with the game. A few times, the bgm would make a loud sound and from other games I expect it to mean that there's an enemy nearby, but there isn't.

So far, I am really enjoying it, and I'm taking my time. The map is already getting a bit busy, but again I think it's information overload at this point. Also, it's gas that each mission has a difficulty indicator, but I've no idea what level I am. Can't find it.

• Advertisement

Definitely a fun game. My map is also littered with icons as well, and I also have yet to make sense of the difficulty indicators. Done a level 3 roadblock last night and breezed through it, so went and attempted a nearby level 3 bandit den....completely different story which ended in me dying on all three attempts and calling it a night.

Looking forward to getting stuck in properly at the weekend, hopefully make some sense of all the systems at play and get some more abilities unlocked. I only have dash and shatter at the moment. I don't see using shatter to send an enemy over a cliff edge in a mess of blood and guts ever getting old :pac:

I actually don't mind the vehicle handling (for the default vehicle at least) neither. I thought I would hate it and reviews have called it out consistently, however I enjoyed the sense of weight behind the vehicles and didn't have any issues with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

10 hours does seem short but then I think back to Fallout which, if you stict strictly to only story related missions, can be finished in a similar time...but no-one does that! Of course, not sure how rich or deep the world is outside the main narrative.

10 hours does seem short but then I think back to Fallout which, if you stict strictly to only story related missions, can be finished in a similar time...but no-one does that! Of course, not sure how rich or deep the world is outside the main narrative.

I think that's the main complaint, there isn't much to do outside of the main missions, as anything worth doing you will have already done to get upgrades. World does seem empty, but if you look at it from the games lore, you'd be crazy to be out in the wildlands in this type of game, so they'll probably use that as an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

combat shotgun is great craic

Very quiet in here, thought there would be more playing and talking about this.

It's a solid shooter, no denying that. I'd imagine it will be most fun near the end once you're superpowered. Couple of more hours played last night, nothing new to add, didn't really unlock anything fancy. Still a bit disappointed about upgrading the guns where you can only select 1 upgrade per level. Nowhere explaining that, and I'm stuck with a shotgun with extra rounds but still slow ass reloading, would have preferred the quicker reloading had I known before upgrading.

I'll definitely finish this, but at this moment I can't see myself holding onto it. It's fun, zany, loud, explosive, but does appear empty outside of the towns. May pick it up again down the line, but most likely will trade in once I'm finished. Saying that, I haven't really had a good few hours at it, so i've tomorrow off work to play it and can make a better decision then.

But it is most definitely fun.

• Advertisement

Haven't played much outside of launch night as I had a pesky work do. Going to get stuck in tonight for a couple of hours.

I have to agree with all that's been said above, great shooter, perhaps a not so great open world game at times. Though I have to admit that when I have been playing I have had so much fun with the combat that I don't really notice that what I'm doing is really nothing more than the busy work. Not sure how true that will.ring when I've been doing the same activities over and over again, but for the time being it still feels fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Played about 4 hrs last night, love it.

Shotgun is amazing! If it is short like people say i will just concentrate on the side mission and then trade it in whilst the price is still high.

Put some more time in tonight, unlocked the shotgun which has taken the combat to a new level of fun.

Gunplay here really is second to none. I really do wish there was a fast travel system though. Once I've found a location, the world is so drab that I've no desire to drive their a second time if I don't complete the objective first time round. I get that it's a wasteland, and supposed to be empty, but this is lifeless in the wrong sense of the word. It doesn't feel like a believable place, it's just a mess of convoluted dirt roads and nothing in between.

But....once I get to a location and get to lay down the law with the shotty again, all is forgiven cause the combat is just that good. I'm having such a love/hate relationship with the game, on one hand I can't stop playing but simultaneously can't wait for it to be over lol.

It has seriously whetted my appetite for Doom Eternal though!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Slam super power is fun! Smashey smashey!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

So if you liked the first one, you’ll like this one too?

So if you liked the first one, you’ll like this one too?

I'd say so. I'm enjoying it a lot, but that's largely due to the combat. The open world is as forgettable as they come, though it's stuffed with content that allows you to let loose with the fantastic combat. As crazy and out there as the marketing for this game made everything seem, the world is surprisingly drab and lacking in personality.

I was just looking at the physical sales, meaningless without digital sales as well obviously, but selling only a quarter of the physical copies that the original game did is not a good look.

Yeah, it has great ideas and the gunplay is fun, but it doesn't have the draw to bring you back each time imo. I'm struggling to get through it, so I reckon I'm gonna plough through the main story and trade it in while it's still worth money. If they can add to the empty open world, i'd probably pick it up again down the line.

It's wide open for an amazing MP game though, like CoD. I can see it happening, and most likely in a BR type I reckon, some Wasteworld Deathmatch or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

This one came along very much under the radar, i swore off it after the dev's started to rip into Jason Schrier for pointing this out before launch and being fairly unprofessional.

Will wait for it in a sales if i do get it.

I don't think the developers targeted Jason Schrier? They made a tongue in cheek post in response to a Forbes article which examined the low key nature of the game's launch, and Schrier followed up with his own opinion on the Twitter response to the Forbes article.

I could be wrong but I don't think there was anything directed towards Schrier himself. In any event the tweet was clearly meant to be a joke in keeping with the attitude of the game. The author of the article has even gone on to say it's no big deal and that the response to his article was "on brand".

I'm not necessarily saying it was a smart move to come out with such a post, but people are really reading too far into that tweet. Schrier especially pisses me off sometimes. He puts out quality pieces sure, but he is a seriously righteous prick.

I'm actually getting hit with so many audio bugs on the one X that the game has become unplayable. Three evenings in a row I've had audio kick in, be it music or a certain sound effect, with it then proceeding to continuously play on a loop, with all other audio being muted while the bugged effect or track keeps playing.

Two nights in a row it was music that kicks in when you're in combat, it just continuously looped over and over, no other background music would play at all, even when restarting the game. Tonight it's the vehicle entice audio and racing soundtrack, done a race, completed it, left the track and the engine noise and song that played during the race just keep repeating on loop.

Game is an absolute dumpster fire from a technical perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

goon_magee wrote: »
    I don't think the developers targeted Jason Schrier? They made a tongue in cheek post in response to a Forbes article which examined the low key nature of the game's launch, and Schrier followed up with his own opinion on the Twitter response to the Forbes article.

I could be wrong but I don't think there was anything directed towards Schrier himself. In any event the tweet was clearly meant to be a joke in keeping with the attitude of the game. The author of the article has even gone on to say it's no big deal and that the response to his article was "on brand".

I'm not necessarily saying it was a smart move to come out with such a post, but people are really reading too far into that tweet. Schrier especially pisses me off sometimes. He puts out quality pieces sure, but he is a seriously righteous prick.

Sorry been a busy week so not had a chance to respond, i wasn't sure who was causing what in all the stuff on rage but as it was Bethesda and i barely heard anything about the game i kinda had an idea it wasn't perfect.

Hopefully they build on it.

Speaking of the races and the audio, I've had the audio issue after a race, where it's just the revving of cars. I fast travelled and it was gone on the next load.

But a bigger issue I've encountered with the races is the first time I try one. Each and every time, I will always lose the first race. I'll pass everyone, but about 1/3rd of the way through the second lap one of the AI cars just teleports to the end. Retry and I win, and every subsequent race after that. But once I leave the area and come back, the same thing will happen again, every time!

I've tried reloading saves and no joy, only thing seems to solve it for me is if I totally power the system down, very strange.

I've also had that bug as well, I was well clear of the pack the entire way and was left wondering why I actually ended up coming in second lol. I've also had a few full on crashes to the Xbox dashboard from the races so something sketchy going with them for sure.

Yeah, same happened again last night so it's definitely a bug. It is a Bethesda game, so I was expecting bugs and errors, and in fairness I can't really complain aside from the above, everything else has been working fine.

Just, it feels flat outside of combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Not a bad game the driving is horrific tho, like wildlands bad.

I gave in today and flogged this. Not a bad game by any means, just awfully uninspired outside of combat. I was only about halfway through the game, so my intention is to see what state it's in once they've added the free updates and story expansions, and potentially pick it up once it's been fleshed out a bit more.

I just couldn't bring myself to keep playing in its current form. I'd sit down, load the game up and drive a few hundred yards before immediately turning it off again. Just didn't grab me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Nailed on day one purchase for me.

Only concern is that I will forget I have those all powers and use the same ones over and over :(

Sooooo...about this so i finished this tonight about 20-25 hours, cleared a lot of camps and other things, main story could be done in a lot less imo.

But something was bothering me as to why I only had 2 powers in the bottom left and 2 were empty, after I finished it I googled it and FFS I missed 2. Honestly thought I had every ark found :(

So to sum up I was worried I would use the same powers over and over and again and did because I was a spa :pac:

Barrier and Vortex were the 2 main ones I didnt get....and Focus in passive.

Used mainly Shatter, Grav Jump/slam and Overdrive to finish the game, died mostly due to my own stupidity.

Driving is horrific and only noticed convoys after I got the predator and chased after one for about 30 minutes pointlessly, so i completed 0 convoys.

Been trying since Saturday to plough through this, but as magee above said, I get a few hundred yards down the road and I've lost all interest again. Don't think I'll be able to finish it, so gonna trade it in while it's still worth a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭Ardent

Less than 20 quid on Steam currently. Worth it at that price?

• Advertisement

Ardent wrote: »
    Less than 20 quid on Steam currently. Worth it at that price?

Made by Avalanche Studios the masters of making open world games where you see everything there is to see in 2-3 hours and take another 40 to complete. Have decent fun mechanics but then the repetition kicks in and kills the fun. Mad Max, Just Cause are decent games ruined but unnecessary flooding of the maps with repetitive filler.

Advertisement