Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My next step, PT or mobility coach

Options
  • 03-05-2019 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

So I've being going the gym the last 2 years or so on and off, the problem is I know I have terrible form and when things get to heavy I either injure myself or I'm afraid to keep pushing myself, so I eventually give up and therefore don't make progress.

I've had a very significant injury to my knee in the past, a tibial plateau break that has had 4 surgeries. This severely limits me as the maximum ROM I have is around 95degrees. On top of that, the flexibility on the rest of my body is pretty poor.

My question is, should I be looking to go to a movement/mobility expert and do a program with them before hiring a personal trainer? Or even a physio? So that I have good mobility going to the PT and therefore they can teach me good form from the start? Or should most personal trainers have a really good knowledge of the flexibility/mobility stuff, so I can jump straight in and go to one of them?

Any advice is welcome. I just want to do it properly and get it right this time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

First off I hope your injuries are improving and you are ok.

With your question about a coach ideally a PT "should" have a good knowledge of mobility but most do not and the quality of PTs varies wildly. I would advise looking for a coach who has a proven track record of doing this work. It also depends on what your overall needs are if your focusing on the big 3 lifts for example you would just need to base mobility for these and to work on what you need day to day to move better and improve on your injury. A lot of PTs should have the knowledge to show you the basic form you need for your training but great coaches will program that would for you well which is worth it in my opinion.

I hope this helps you somewhat there are also some decent resources online which I would be happy to send on if you want.

Advertisement