Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Call for reform of motor tax system

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

mikeecho wrote: »
    The old cc based system wasn't all that bad.

Well up to a 2l which was €710. (I regularly paid 710)

Anything over 2000cc and the government lost the plot.

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/motortaxinfotype.do

I think if they were fairer with the 2000cc+ rates we could go back to that.

But I think they'll go with a bhp/Kw based motor tax system for EVs.
    It doesn't have to be a fair system .
    It's just a system for generating revenue.
    After all . It's a tax.

Taxing on useage isn't feasible, the infrastructure needed will never exist here. People talk about zones, they talk about the m50, the canals as boundary markers.

What about the rest of the country ?

It is if it's put on the fuels. System already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭mikeecho

saabsaab wrote: »
    It is if it's put on the fuels. System already there.

How do you tax electricity, and yet still have it affordable to boil the kettle and toast the bread.

Electricity is already taxed just add a cent or two per KW. Easy. Confine it to fossil fuel generated if you like too.

Electricity is already taxed just add a cent or two per KW. Easy. Confine it to fossil fuel generated if you like too.

It's not just motor tax that they need to recoup, it's all the lost revenue from fossil fuel, that is already taxed to the hilt.

1 or 2 cent per KW isn't going to make up that shortfall. If you think it will, you're living in Cuckoo land.

It's not just motor tax that they need to recoup, it's all the lost revenue from fossil fuel, that is already taxed to the hilt.

1 or 2 cent per KW isn't going to make up that shortfall. If you think it will, you're living in Cuckoo land.

I doubt that I am. Dependence of fossil fuels is though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Humilde

This particular topic of road tax collection seems to be a favourite of all of those who know **** all about driving cars and the transport system in general. This eejit advises the government, just imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,283 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How do you tax electricity, and yet still have it affordable to boil the kettle and toast the bread.

It might need to go down a similar route of green diesel where you ban useage of domestic electricity in vehicles and increase electricity costs on the public charging network. €1500 fine for plugging the car in to your home..mad I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,720 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A car is a car is a car, making the single mom who can't afford a new car to pay 4 times the tax on her older car makes no sense. Cars over 15 years old should be on a set rate, 400. And if a person wants to drive a 15 year old 5.0 petrol well he'll be paying the duty on the fuel as an extra tax,
    right now you have no right to run a big powerful older car, you're taxed out of it.

A car is a car is a car, making the single mom who can't afford a new car to pay 4 times the tax on her older car makes no sense. Cars over 15 years old should be on a set rate, 400. And if a person wants to drive a 15 year old 5.0 petrol well he'll be paying the duty on the fuel as an extra tax,
    right now you have no right to run a big powerful older car, you're taxed out of it.

Not a bad idea but I would think an increase in fossil fuel is needed too to help limit mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Those wearing lycra would be on the highest tax band :D

Special super tax band for anybody found making aggressive GoPro videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Or how about a universal car tax of €400 for everyone regardless of the make/model or size of the car/engine. You buy a car, you pay car tax. No nonsense about engine size or how much or little you use the car. No one is discriminated against, no one can complain.

Abolish the ridiculous two tier system at present and introduce this for all cars and trucks on the road.

I’d leave the vintage class alone.

Or how about a universal car tax of €400 for everyone regardless of the make/model or size of the car/engine. You buy a car, you pay car tax. No nonsense about engine size or how much or little you use the car. No one is discriminated against, no one can complain.

Abolish the ridiculous two tier system at present and introduce this for all cars and trucks on the road.

I’d leave the vintage class alone.

Not a bad idea a transport 'tax' for all. I'd add an extra tax to the fossil fuels too.

Not a bad idea a transport 'tax' for all. I'd add an extra tax to the fossil fuels too.

There is already 220% tax on petrol (in various guies)

Excise, Vat, carbon, Nora.

Petrol costs about 40¢/l pre tax

So, I don't know what difference adding more tax will do.

The whole mention of motor tax reform, isn't primarily sighted at the ice driver. It's aimed at the ev.
    EVs are to cheap to run and tax.
    The government needs to get more money from those drivers.

You can tax and ban ice out of existence, but then what. .. you've just killed the goose.

The ev becomes the new goose.

Some bedtime reading.
    https://www.storyit.com/Classics/Stories/goldengooseegg.htm

Too much greed results in nothing

Advertisement