Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"jokes that women just don’t get"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Yeah, wimminz over-reacting again - hardy-har...that musta taken you hours to come up with - yet you still can't see the irony? Did you bother to read the OP?

No hardy har from me- yet more putting-words-in-my-mouth from yourself, didn't take me hours either, ( and tbh i'm sure if i made that comment to yourself the ban hammer would be out:rolleyes:)
    i replied within 46 mins, and yes i did read the OP, you're presuming an awful lot Ickle.
    I haven't compared making rape-jokes with ED (an issue that hasn't and is unlikely to ever affect me directly) - I've compared my hypothetical dismissal of male opinion on how ED affects men, on a forum where men post to hear male opinion - with comments made about female posters over-reactions because they happen to come from a part of the world where rape is a 1-in-4 or 1-in-5 chance rather than 100% guaranteed. It would be arrogant and inappropriate of me to make such comments in such an environment.
    ok then, glad thats clarified:)
    Given your multiple references to over-reaction, posting just to defend the frankly indefensible and the transparent passive-aggressive approach, you'll forgive me for being cynical that it's me that got the job done, "sweet lamb". ;)

i didn't post just to defend Victor, you accused him of
    attacking female posters , and
    dominating the discussion ,
    'Poh poh-ing, and being
    condescending you also asked him a question, he answered, and you chided him, how is that defending the indefensible:confused:

Those are your words not his.I also note the mutual thanks whoring is alive and well. whats with the sweet lamb thing?..... i meant it as Sweet lamb o' jaysus... i.e incredulty or similar.... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Yeah, that must be it...thanks whoring - female posters agreeing they should be free to discuss issues on a forum set up for just that function rather than have threads turned into an endurance test in clarification, explanation and justification...who'da thunk it. :rolleyes:

Maple wrote: »
    Please note, the Ladies Lounge exists so that female posters may debate topics from a female perspective. It does not exist as a place for female posters to have to constantly validate those held opinions and beliefs against disgruntled male posters. Indeed having to do so is both wearing and kills debate.

Hi Maple , i agree- but just to clarify- i am neither disgruntled nor looking for ladies to validate their opinions, indeed it seems the reverse is true. But it is a ladies forum so don't really have a problem tbh. i have issues with condescension towards male posters, just because their male- and the oul "this is the LL.." mantra is trotted out far too often as poor excuse for debate, yet again its just one (male) opinion.
    The issues raised on this forum i find interesting due to the nature of my work, and my contact with several volunteer and social services that aid women and children of both sexes that are victims, so i do not not take lightly what others might and the issues i mainly comment on , on boards in general , are highly contentious topics, hence what appears sometimes to be a 'gnarly' posting style, for this impression i apologise, but my intentions are of the best kind.- just an fyi from where i'm coming from , i may not be the most articulate.:o
    thebullkf, please do not use the term "sweet lamb" again when debating directly with another poster. It is both condescending and inflammatory
    Sweet Lamb was meant as a kinda expletive, a nicer version of 'oh ffs' or a term of incredulty. not as condescension. tbh i thought that was pretty clear....:confused:

Yeah, that must be it...thanks whoring - female posters agreeing they should be free to discuss issues on a forum set up for just that function rather than have threads turned into an endurance test in clarification, explanation and justification...who'da thunk it. :rolleyes:

good stuff Ickle- i ain't looking for any of those things, stop assuming thats what i or other male posters want ffs.

several points i raised and you pick up on the one you can make some spin out of. Typical.

Good night, and good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Last 2 posts should have been taken to PM if you have an issue with moderation on this thread. Do not derail it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Taking the article at face value that it is suggesting women and men have vastly different experiences online and this is a negative thing I want to know what do people think should be done about it?

Does anyone want to try and change this by laws preventing such behaviour? Would such laws not be a massive blow to freedom of speech? If not laws would people prefer this to change more as a social awareness? Like how drinking and driving while always illegal through media campaigns became completely socially unacceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Maguined wrote: »
    Would such laws not be a massive blow to freedom of speech?

somehow I always find the "freedom of speech" argument come up in discussions of women-orientated discussion forums, blogs, site etc. often men can tend to shout down women, and so it's hard for me to take those arguments as anything else than guys wanting their "freedom" to shout down women. they want their freedom to drown out women's voices.

this is why I tend to stick to either private forums or forums like this one.

*this is sort of a general point, not directly replying to you as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If not laws would people prefer this to change more as a social awareness? Like how drinking and driving while always illegal through media campaigns became completely socially unacceptable?

Social change would be the ideal, but it is unfortunately something that is and will be quite slow to happen because the sort of attitudes discussed here are so deeply entrenched in certain sectors of society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭atila

Are ye not giving way too much validity to the mutterings of semi literate anonymous clowns on this thread? Is the simplest way to deal with something not to just ignore,dismiss or avoid?

• Advertisement

Links234 wrote: »
    somehow I always find the "freedom of speech" argument come up in discussions of women-orientated discussion forums, blogs, site etc. often men can tend to shout down women, and so it's hard for me to take those arguments as anything else than guys wanting their "freedom" to shout down women. they want their freedom to drown out women's voices.

this is why I tend to stick to either private forums or forums like this one.

*this is sort of a general point, not directly replying to you as such.

I did not mean freedom of speech directly to a women-orientated discussion but completely in a general sense. Freedom of speech generally gets the leeway in social settings while it is completely disregarded in formal settings, ie ones freedom to speech is never respected in a workplace, an employer cannot used his freedom of speech to make a sexist comment as there are laws against this (let's ignore the efficiency of enforcing these laws but they do exist) where as in an informal social setting ie a total randomer could make a sexist comment to someone in a pub and there is no law against this as they have their freedom of speech.

So in a general sense do people believe internet forums such as boards should be left with their freedom of speech like a public place like a pub would or do you think it should be more regulated and enforced like a workplace would be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I did not mean freedom of speech directly to a women-orientated discussion but completely in a general sense. Freedom of speech generally gets the leeway in social settings while it is completely disregarded in formal settings, ie ones freedom to speech is never respected in a workplace, an employer cannot used his freedom of speech to make a sexist comment as there are laws against this (let's ignore the efficiency of enforcing these laws but they do exist) where as in an informal social setting ie a total randomer could make a sexist comment to someone in a pub and there is no law against this as they have their freedom of speech.

So in a general sense do people believe internet forums such as boards should be left with their freedom of speech like a public place like a pub would or do you think it should be more regulated and enforced like a workplace would be?

What freedom of speech? There isn't any such thing. Anywhere. Every country with freedom of speech rights has numerous exceptions and addenda.

Sorry, but demanding freedom of speech and claiming to have a right to such always strikes me an incredibly teenage complaint.

atila wrote: »
    Are ye not giving way too much validity to the mutterings of semi literate anonymous clowns on this thread? Is the simplest way to deal with something not to just ignore,dismiss or avoid?

I don't think it's that the clowns are getting validated, it's that in specific circumstances posters don't want nor feel they should have to listen to their drivel. While the WWW is far too big to tackle as a single entity and so the vast majority must be ignored, dismissed or avoided - I don't think anything ever changed in our own backyards just by letting the clowns roam unabated and just hoping things change on their own...especially when the clowns make a point of coming looking.

I don't think freedom of speech gets unlimited leeway in social settings, though - and laws and rules are really just a step up from that. We are constrained by social etiquettes all the time, so while there may not be any official laws against opening your mouth and letting whatever you want fall out - there are certainly consequences; not least how you are viewed by others, being avoided, getting physically or verbally abused, etc, etc.

I'm going to follow on from Links point regarding women-orientated discussion because it's relevant to this discussion in this forum. While I'd certainly rather there was less crap to deal with on the net in general, I have to accept lots of sites could not care less about whether their respective posters are bullying, are sexist or muppets who have put off hundred/thousands of other posters.

I think it would be largely impossible to police curbing free-speech wholesale but even if it weren't, I'm not sure the laws require much more tightening; I'd much rather people just had the cop on to know what is appropriate to post where and I'm happy having the choice to avoid places where they cannot and no system is in place to deal with it.

There is no freedom of speech on Boards and that's one of the things that attracted me to the site given my previous experiences regarding what passes for the norms on some other sites. I think the balance here is pretty spot-on...some behaviour is not allowed at all and some areas are specifically off-limits to certain behaviour but generally there is a forum to suit everyone - that way the majority of the users are happy the majority of the time.

iguana wrote: »
    What freedom of speech? There isn't any such thing. Anywhere. Every country with freedom of speech rights has numerous exceptions and addenda.

Sorry, but demanding freedom of speech and claiming to have a right to such always strikes me an incredibly teenage complaint.

I am not demanding anything, just asking the question would people be in favour of having laws forbidding these comments or what other alternative do they suggest to counter the current online culture?

The article points out a problem, I want to know what do people suggest as the solution. Ickle has pointed out the impracticality of bringing in national laws to try and combat this so what is the alternative?

The Ladies Lounge exists for a place for women to discuss things from their perspective as they get shouted down by men in the rest of the forums so how do you create a friendly enviroment for women across the entire site so TLL is not actually needed? Would posters here support a site wide ban on any sexist comment or joke?

I do not mean to come across as demanding anything, I am just trying to ask questions so I can understand the debate better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I think that by imposing an outright ban on something, you aren't dealing with the actual issue, just the symptoms of it. Like going to your doctor with a broken leg and he just prescribes you painkillers.

I try not to offend people much, and if I do, I apologise. I don't demand my rights to free speech and rabidly defend my perceived right to hurt people. Why would someone actually want to do that so much?
    If a 'joke' is known to upset or offend certain groups, I certainly wouldn't go blabbering it to all and anyone. I think 'Okay, so that's offensive. I won't say something like that again.' I don't need to argue over why I think it's not offensive, because I'm able to understand that if I've never been in the situation / had x happen to me, therefore while it may not be offensive to me, it might be to someone who has been in that situation / had x happen, or even heard the same 'joke' for most of their life.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Free speech is a concept, not a reality and freedom to speak/write/broadcast is highly contextual.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Free speech seems to me to be often abused by many people who cry about it. If often seems to me to be a moan about their argument being torn to shreds and just not standing up, you see it often on this site.

There are some idealists who believe in it but I just can't see how it would work, particularly with the Internet now a mainstream thing.

As for the OP, I agree it can happen and those that bully tend to be a very vociferous minority. I'd be careful of going too far with it, "make me a sandwich" can be funny if used in the right context. Putting a stop on it would throw the baby out with the bathwater, the baby being a sense of humour in this case.

It's all about context and the 2 extremes usually miss it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

'Make me a sandwhich' can be funny but there is a point were repetition kills the joke.

K-9 wrote: »
    Free speech seems to me to be often abused by many people who cry about it. If often seems to me to be a moan about their argument being torn to shreds and just not standing up, you see it often on this site.

And the flip-side is it's also often cited by those who enjoy bullying, insulting and being a complete PITA to try to validate why they should be able to hide behind their internet anonymity and say things they'd never have the stones to say in real life...it's like the modern day equivalent of some thug shouting "I know my rights!!". I do agree with you though, I think the ideal would be somewhere in the middle...
    K9 wrote:
    As for the OP, I agree it can happen and those that bully tend to be a very vociferous minority. I'd be careful of going too far with it, "make me a sandwich" can be funny if used in the right context. Putting a stop on it would throw the baby out with the bathwater, the baby being a sense of humour in this case.

It's all about context and the 2 extremes usually miss it.

I appreciate I've got quite a dry/dark sense of humour and I'm not a fan of universal censorship in general but I've seen "make me a sandwhich" used in a zillion contexts and I've yet to think "wow, that was a funny retort - what a clever poster"...

I know other memes that have gotten so old and tired that it actually becomes unfashionable to use them - I suspect that because it's only aimed at a minority on the internet, and it's mostly that minority that's bored of hearing it - it'll keep being churned out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Kooli wrote: »
    However if I were a white, straight, middle-class man, I think it would be a lot more difficult to recognise privilege because I haven't had the personal experience of being without it.
    So I do understand why it can be important for men to 'get it'. What I don't understand is why they don't just accept that they don't 'get it', and why they have to keep trying to convince us that we're mistaken.

Playing devil's advocate here (as opposed to mealy mouthed whataboutery) but have you ever considered that not being a privileged, white, straight, middle-class man you just don't get some of the problems these people experience. Do you ever wonder if people who tick all these boxes might be suffering and maybe you just don't get it as how could they possibly have anything to worry about.

A disturbing number of people who fit in all those boxes are desperate enough to want to kill themselves, often because they feel they can't talk about problems that shouldn't be problems because they're the most privileged people in the world.

Yet nobody would think twice about saying "I'd kill myself if I had to wear that."

I think I've gone way off on a tangent now, sorry about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

on the issue of gender identity online I have never used a gender identifying handle on any site ever. It really never occurred to me to specify whether I was male or female when signing up anywhere and when I think about it I am happier being non descript. I don't think of it as being a cop out, it probably does make life easier where male is the assumed gender and I do actually feel privileged when I am considered a "he". I am treated the same as them and that's all I would ask for given the opportunity. On the other side of the coin, there are some women who actually have serious man issues. (as in the ones who's aggression I have been on the receiving end of)

• Advertisement

Playing devil's advocate here (as opposed to mealy mouthed whataboutery) but have you ever considered that not being a privileged, white, straight, middle-class man you just don't get some of the problems these people experience. Do you ever wonder if people who tick all these boxes might be suffering and maybe you just don't get it as how could they possibly have anything to worry about.

A disturbing number of people who fit in all those boxes are desperate enough to want to kill themselves, often because they feel they can't talk about problems that shouldn't be problems because they're the most privileged people in the world.

Yet nobody would think twice about saying "I'd kill myself if I had to wear that."

I think I've gone way off on a tangent now, sorry about that.

:rolleyes:

Look really I think we need a remake of the film white man's burden but from a gendered point of view maybe then people will get it.

Yes the gender constructed we have in society to negatively effect men, I don't doubt that what so ever but you know what the article was about how being a minority or a perceived minority effects women and how we are treated and sidetracking it like this is a way of refusing to look at that issue,
    it is a distraction.

If you want a thread on how gender constructs limit and hurt men by all means start one in humanities or in the Gentlemens club or even in AH, I will happily contribute to that thread and not side track it about women's issues.

Sharrow wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

If you want a thread on how gender constructs limit and hurt men by all means start one in humanities or in the Gentlemens club or even in AH, I will happily contribute to that thread and not side track it about women's issues.
    do you think it would be possible to do that here? Not that I would but is it possible that a topic that deals with how men are discriminated against could be discussed in tLL?

No it is not the remit of the forum to have that discussion here and serious ffs why do people keep trying to force it to happen, it is infuriating that we can't talk about the topic the thread was opened on with out it being sudden about men and men's issues. There are other forums for that.

Seriously it is getting to the point were this thread has become an example of what the piece I posted is about, men insisting that the main narrative is about them or caters to them and their world and societal views and experiences.

Kanoe wrote: »
    I don't think of it as being a cop out, it probably does make life easier where male is the assumed gender and I do actually feel privileged when I am considered a "he". I am treated the same as them and that's all I would ask for given the opportunity.

See why should you have to masquerade or lie by omission to be treated the same?
    Why should male be the assumed gender?
    Why should anything else be treated as other/lesser?

I have to admit the whole "what about men" thing is getting a bit old
    and i used to be on the other side of that opinion

No it is not the remit of the forum to have that discussion here and serious ffs why do people keep trying to force it to happen, it is infuriating that we can't talk about the topic the thread was opened on with out it being sudden about men and men's issues. There are other forums for that.

Seriously it is getting to the point were this thread has become an example of what the piece I posted is about, men insisting that the main narrative is about them or caters to them and their world and societal views and experiences.

I was genuinely just curious as to whether that conversation could be had here, I just had a look at the charter because I wasn't sure what is or isn't up for discussion. It says topics for discussion form a female point of view, I could discuss the above, from a female point of view.

See why should you have to masquerade or lie by omission to be treated the same?
    Why should male be the assumed gender?
    Why should anything else be treated as other/lesser?
    It shouldn't but I'm not masquerading or lying. there is no doubt that that life is by far easier as a male though.

It's not a "what about men" thing at all, it's about individuals and how quick we are to assume X about them because we know Y.

I was genuinely just curious as to whether that conversation could be had here, I just had a look at the charter because I wasn't sure what is or isn't up for discussion. It says topics for discussion form a female point of view, I could discuss the above, from a female point of view.

Then start another thread.

It shouldn't but I'm not masquerading or lying. there is no doubt that that life is by far easier as a male though.

Plenty of people seem to have doubts that it is.

It's not a "what about men" thing at all, it's about individuals and how quick we are to assume X about them because we know Y.

Nice try but that's the same thing under a different guise, the premise of the thread was about the lack of awareness and assumptions made about women
    and the treatment there of, of women, due to y'know being women or what is assumed they should be or do due to being women not about individuals.

• Advertisement

I should have been clearer, life is much easier for me, as perceived male.

Nice try but that's the same thing under a different guise, the premise of the thread was about the lack of awareness and assumptions made about women
    and the treatment there of, of women, due to y'know being women or what is assumed they should be or do due to being women not about individuals.

I am unable to parse this sentence, try as I might. Can you make it a little clearer?

I am unable to parse this sentence, try as I might. Can you make it a little clearer?
    the thread is a discussion about male privilege. Discussing individual non gender based issues is irrelevant as women may suffer these things too, on top of what they have to endure for just being women. get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

No it is not the remit of the forum to have that discussion here and serious ffs why do people keep trying to force it to happen
    I completely agree that threads focusing on women's issues shouldn't be derailed by discussion of men's issues. However why on earth should threads on how gender constructs affect men be banned from this forum outright? If we want things to change then we've got to all get behind it - not just women fight women's fights and men fight men's fights with no support or interest for 'the other side'. It makes me so happy to see men supporting women or vice-versa, white people standing up for minority races etc.

I get your point but it would be nice to be able to have the discussion on how gender constructs effect women and the knock on effect on online interactions and abuse, cos that just does not seem possible with out the derailing and distractions.

do you think it would be possible to do that here? Not that I would but is it possible that a topic that deals with how men are discriminated against could be discussed in tLL?

Totally - but I'd hope that a multitude of female posters keep jumping in with whataboutery, dismissing men's experiences, making ridiculous statements about things they clearly don't have a clue about and making a concerted effort to completely derail...only in the interests of equality and fairness, loike. :)

One person's discussion is another's derailing obviously - a debate can't survive without a counterpoint.

So, having established in post #1 that individual women are prone to suffer stereotyping due to identifying with a certain group what's next - agreement, disagreement and solution. We've had the first two and until we get some examples of solutions the thread will inevitably drift off course or go around in circles.

How to remove/nullify the male privilege?
    Identify and exemplify it. Maybe nobody will 'get it' first time but let's not make the assumption that because someone is male he won't 'get it'. The privilege is not, I take it, that of being allowed to be a dick on the internet (it's not a particularly enviable privilege) but of not being hassled for your gender.

Does it serve a purpose to turn the tables and act the dick towards male members (pardon me, Vicar)? Probably not.

Does it make sense to ask reasonable-minded male users not to act the dick? Most likely just preaching to the converted.

So you're left to deal with the dicks, of whom some are being dicks because they're anonymous, some by imitation, some because they're just dicks. Do you really want to have to deal with them? Is there any point? This might be the bit that people have the hardest time 'getting' because in order to understand it they have to either draw a parallel with their own experience (and piss everyone of with their whataboutery) or be subjected to it themselves until they realise how draining it can be.

Otherwise it's just "what do you want us* to do about it"

*don't you hate when there's an asterisk with no proper explanation?

One person's discussion is another's derailing obviously - a debate can't survive without a counterpoint.

I must have missed the memo about the purpose of this forum being debate...
    This forum is for the discussion of topics from a woman's point of view.

Perhaps it's this assumption that each point made here requires debate and input from an opposite stance that's causing many of the issues highlighted in the article/this thread...?

Sharing and discussion =|= debate.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I hadn't actually considered that not everything was up for debate.

i goin off to get my man cards back

Fair enough, I hadn't actually considered that not everything was up for debate.

Well - and I'm obviously just speaking for me as a LL poster here, I'm not posting in bold, I'm not modding just incase there is any great confusion on the matter - but I would take it for granted that if a poster wanted a general debate on a political matter they'd post in politics, if they wanted a general debate about understanding disability they'd post in humanities, if they wanted a general debate on a parenting matter they'd post in parenting, so on and so forth...the fact that female posters choose to post in a forum where the opening line of the charter is "This forum is for the discussion of topics from a woman's point of view..." would suggest to me, at least, that they don't want a general debate as could be had anywhere else on the site - they want a discussion that is protected by and respects tLL charter...mainly "a discussion of topics from a woman's point of view".

Now, clearly, not all women have the same point of view so that doesn't mean it's going to a giant yes party either - but it does mean a discussion about issues affecting women from a woman's perspective, and that can be done whether the authors of the posts are male or female - as opposed to a couple of women post and the rest of the thread is taken up by male posters telling them why they are wrong, how it can all be fixed or what issues men have to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, fully agree the "What about free speech?!" whinge is nearly always by people who just want to act like dicks to others.
    Although some people who aren't interested in being dicks, but want to show the world how open-minded they are ("Nazis are entitled to express their opinion") demand free speech across the board too. Bizarre though how they're more concerned about the rights of e.g. far-right skinheads than the rights of those who are at the receiving end of the latter's bullying...
    I completely agree that threads focusing on women's issues shouldn't be derailed by discussion of men's issues. However why on earth should threads on how gender constructs affect men be banned from this forum outright? If we want things to change then we've got to all get behind it - not just women fight women's fights and men fight men's fights with no support or interest for 'the other side'. It makes me so happy to see men supporting women or vice-versa, white people standing up for minority races etc.
    I don't think that happens here though - if a discussion of something touches upon how it affects men, in a constructive manner rather than a confrontational, hostile one by the usual victims of imagined misandry here, then it doesn't receive mod intervention, as far as I know anyway. I remember starting a thread on sexual harassment, and some guys posted about their experiences - literally just recounting their experiences (there was no "What about men?!" subtext) and it didn't cause problems.

I understand where Pickarooney is coming from about white males feeling unable to talk about their issues, and the huge problem of male suicide. I don't think anyone would argue against that, but stuff like "The most persecuted group is white, western, christian, middle-class males" is just laughable, and such men feeling suicidal is hardly, I'd wager, due to being members of that group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

neither had I :confused:
    I don't think that happens here though - if a discussion of something touches upon how it affects men, in a constructive manner rather than a confrontational, hostile one by the usual victims of imagined misandry here, then it doesn't receive mod intervention, as far as I know anyway. I remember starting a thread on sexual harassment, and some guys posted about their experiences - literally just recounting their experiences (there was no "What about men?!" subtext) and it didn't cause problems.

I understand where Pickarooney is coming from about white males feeling unable to talk about their issues, and the huge problem of male suicide. I don't think anyone would argue against that, but stuff like "The most persecuted group is white, western, christian, middle-class males" is just laughable, and such men feeling suicidal is hardly, I'd wager, due to being members of that group.
    I didn't say that happens here. I wasn't supporting any viewpoints like 'white males are the most persecuted group' etc. It just seemed that some posters thought TLL an inappropriate forum for discussion of issues affecting men...I wanted clarification on that because I thought that would be a mistake

http://www.doctornerdlove.com/2011/11/nerds-and-male-privilege/all/1/

I want to tell you a story.

A few years ago, I was dating a girl who was decidedly not nerd curious. She tolerated my geeky interests with a certain bemused air1 but definitely didn’t participate in ‘em… not even setting foot inside a comic store on new comic day. She’d wait outside until I was done… which could be a while, since I was friends with several of the staff.

She came in the store exactly once, after I’d explained that no, it’s a pretty friendly place… well lit, spacious, organized and with helpful – and clearly identified – staff members who were willing to bend over backwards to make sure their customers were satisfied.

She was in there for less than 4 minutes before one mouth-breathing troglodyte began alternately staring at her boobs – evidently hoping that x-ray vision could develop spontaneously – and berating her for daring to comment on the skimpy nature of the costumes – in this case, Lady Death and Witchblade. She fled the premises, never to return.

When both the manager and I explained to him in no uncertain terms as to what he did wrong he shrugged his shoulders. “Hey, I was just trying to help you guys! She couldn’t understand that chicks can be tough and sexy! Not my fault she’s a chauvinist,” he said.

And that was when I shot him, your honor.

So with that example in mind, let’s talk about a subject I’ve touched on before: Male Privilege and how it applies to geeks and – more importantly – geek girls.

Male Privilege: What Is It, Exactly?

I don’t think I’m breaking any news or blowing minds when I point out that geek culture as a whole is predominantly male. Not to say that women aren’t making huge inroads in science fiction/fantasy fandom, gaming, anime and comics… but it’s still a very male culture. As such, it caters to the predominantly male audience that makes it up. This, in turn leads to the phenomenon known as male privilege: the idea that men – most often straight, white men – as a whole, get certain privileges and status because of their gender.

(Obvious disclaimer: I’m a straight white man.)

In geek culture, this manifests in a number of ways. The most obvious is in the portrayal of female characters in comics, video games and movies. Batman: Arkham City provides an excellent example.

To start with, we have three of the male characters of Arkham City:

MenOfArkhamCity.jpg

Here we have the brooding vigilante, the psycho ICP fan and The Doctor

Then we have three of the female characters:

womenofArkhamCity.jpg

Here we have the dominatrix, the crazy hooker and Exotic Fanservice Girl...

Notice how the differences in how they’re portrayed and costumed? The men are fully clothed and deadly serious. They are clearly defined: the mighty hero, the ominous villains.

The women are all about sex, sex, sexy sextimes. With maybe a little villainy thrown in for flavor. They may be characters, but they’re also sexual objects to be consumed.

I will pause now for the traditional arguments from my readers: these characters are all femme fatales in the comics, all of the characters in the Arkham games are over-the-top, the men are just as exaggerated/sexualized/objectified as the women. Got all of that out of your systems? Good.

Because that reaction is exactly what I’m talking about.

Y’see, one of the issues of male privilege as it applies to fandom is the instinctive defensive reaction to any criticism that maybe, just maybe, ****’s a little ****ed up, yo. Nobody wants to acknowledge that a one-sided (and one-dimensional) portrayal of women is the dominant paradigm in gaming; the vast majority of female characters are sexual objects. If a girl wants to see herself represented in video games, she better get used to the idea of being the prize at the bottom of the cereal box. If she wants to see herself as a main character, then it’s time to get ready for a parade of candyfloss costumes where nipple slips are only prevented by violating the laws of physics. The number of games with competent female protagonists who wear more than the Victoria’s Secret Angels are few and far between.

The idea that perhaps the way women are portrayed in fandom is aleetle sexist is regularly met with denials, justifications and outright dismissal of the issue. So regularly, in fact, that there’s a Bingo card covering the most common responses. Part of the notion of male privilege in fandom is that nothing is wrong with fandom and that suggestions that it might benefit from some diversity is treated as a threat.

But what is that threat, exactly?

In this case, the threat is that – ultimately – fandom won’t cater to guys almost to exclusion… that gays, lesbians, racial and religious minorities and (gasp!) women might start having a say in the way that games, comics, etc. will be created in the future. The strawmen that are regularly trotted out – that men are objectified as well, that it’s a convention of the genre, that women actually have more privileges than guys – are a distraction from the real issue: that the Privileged are worried that they won’t be as privileged in the near future if this threat isn’t stomped out. Hence the usual reactions: derailment, minimization and ultimately dismissing the topic all together.

As much as my nerdy brethren wish that more girls were of the geeky persuasion, it’s a little understandable why women might be a little reticent. It’s hard to feel valued or fully included when a very vocal group insists that your input is irrelevant, misguided and ultimately unwelcome. It’s small wonder why geekdom – for all of it’s self-proclaimed enlightened attitudes towards outsiders and outcasts – stil retains the odor of the guy’s locker room.

How Male Privilege Affects Geek Girls In Real Life

Don’t make the mistake of thinking male privilege is solely about how big Power Girl’s tits are, fan service and jiggle physics in 3D fighters. It affects geek girls in direct, personal ways as well.

Remember the example I mentioned earlier with my then-girlfriend in the comic store? Her opinions were deemed mistaken and she was told she didn’t “get it”… because she was a girl.

Y’see, one of the issues that nerd girls face is the fact that they are seen as girls first and anything else second. And before you flood my comments section demanding to know why this is a bad thing, realize that being seen as a “girl” first colors every interaction that they have within fandom. They’re treated differently because they are women.

We will now pause for the expected responses: well that’s a good thing isn’t it, girls get special treatment because they’re girls, guys will fall all over themselves to try to get girls to like ‘em so it all balances out.

If you’re paying attention you’ll realize that – once again – those reactions are what I’m talking about.

Y’see, nobody’s saying that women don’t receive different treatment from guys… I’m saying that being treated differently is the problem. And yes, I know exactly what many of you are going to say and I’ll get to that in a minute.

Male privilege – again – is about what men can expect as the default setting for society. A man isn’t going to have everything about him filtered through the prism of his gender first. A man, for example, who gets a job isn’t going to face with suggestions that his attractiveness or that his willingness to perform sexual favors was a factor in his being hired, nor will he be shrugged off as a “quota hire”.

A man isn’t expected to be a representative of his sex in all things; if he fails at a job, it’s not going to be extrapolated that all men are unfit for that job.

A man who’s strong-willed or aggressive won’t be denigrated for it, nor are men socialized to “go along to get along”.

A man can expect to have his opinion considered, not dismissed out of hand because of his sex. When paired with a woman who’s of equal status, the man can expect that most of the world will assume that he’s the one in charge. And, critically, a man doesn’t have to continually view the world through the lens of potential violence and sexual assault.

Now with this in mind, consider why being a girl first may be a hindrance to geek girls. A guy who plays a first person shooter – Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield, what-have-you – online may expect a certain amount of trash talking, but he’s not going to be inundated with offers for sex, threats of rape, sounds of simulated masturbation or demands that he blow the other players – but not before going to the kitchen and getting them a beer/sandwich/pizza first.

Men will also not be told that they’re being “too sensitive” or that “they need to toughen up” when they complain about said sexual threats.

Men also won’t have their opinions weighed or dismissed solely on the basis of how sexy or attractive they are. The most common responses a woman can expect in an argument – especially online – is that she’s fat, ugly, single, jealous, a whore, or a lesbian – or any combination thereof – and therefore her opinion is irrelevant, regardless of it’s actual merits. This is especially true if she’s commenting on the portrayal of female characters, whether in comics, video games or movies.

Men can expect that their presence at an event won’t automatically be assumed to be decorative or secondary to another man. Despite the growing presence of women in comics, as publishers, editors and creators as well as consumers, a preponderance of men will either treat women at conventions as inconveniences, booth bunnies or even potential dates.

Many a female creator or publisher has had the experience of convention guests coming up and addressing all of their questions to the man at the table… despite being told many times that the man is often the assistant, not the talent, only there to provide logistical support and occasional heavy lifting.

Men are also not going to be automatically assigned into a particular niche just based on their gender. A girl in a comic store or a video game store is far more likely to be dismissed as another customer’s girlfriend/sister/cousin rather than being someone who might actually be interested in making a purchase herself. And when they are seen as customers, they’re often automatically assumed to be buying one of the designated “girl” properties… regardless of whether they were just reading Ultimate Spider-Man or looking for a copy of Saint’s Row 3.

Of course, the other side of the coin isn’t much better; being dismissed for the sin of being a woman is bad, but being placed on the traditional pillar is no less insulting. Guys who fall all over themselves to fawn over a geek girl and dance in attendance upon her are just as bad.

The behavior is different, but the message is the same: she’s different because she’s a girl. These would-be white knights are ultimately treating her as a fetish object, not as a person. It’s especially notable when it comes to sexy cosplayers; the guys will laude them for being geek girls and celebrate them in person and online. They’ll lavish attention upon them, take photos of them and treat them as queens…

And in doing so, they’re sending the message that women are only valued in geek culture if they’re willing to be a sexually alluring product. Everybody loves Olivia Munn when she enters the room ass-cheeks first as Aeon Flux, but nobody is particularly concerned by the girls dressed in a baseball tee, jeans and ballet flats. One of these is welcomed into geek culture with open arms, the other has to justify their existence in the first place.

What Does All of This Mean To You?

The reason why male privilege is so insidious is because of the insistance that it doesn’t exist in the first place. That willful ignorance is key in keeping it in place; by pretending that the issue doesn’t exist, it is that much easier to ensure that nothing ever changes.

Geek society prides itself on being explicitly counter-culture; nerds will crow about how, as a society, they’re better than the others who exclude them. They’ll insist that they’re more egalitarian; geeks hold tight to the belief that geek culture is a meritocracy, where concepts of agism, sexism and racism simply don’t exist the way it does elsewhere. And yet, even a cursory examination will demonstrate that this isn’t true.

And yet geeks will cling to this illusion while simultaneously refusing to address the matters that make it so unattractive to women and minorities. They will insist that they treat women exactly the same as they treat guys – all the while ignoring the fact that their behavior is what’s making the women uncomfortable and feeling unwelcome in the first place. They will find one girl in their immediate community who will say that she’s not offended and use her as the “proof” that nobody else is allowed to be offended.

Changing this prevailing attitude starts with the individual. Call it part of learning to be a better person; being willing to examine your own attitudes and behaviors and to be ruthlessly honest about the benefits you get from being a white male in fandom is the first step. Waving your hands and pretending that there isn’t a problem is a part of the attitude that makes women feel unwelcome in fandom and serves as the barrier to entry to geeky pursuits that she might otherwise enjoy.

Bringing the spotlight onto the concept of male privilege as it exists in nerd culture is the first step in making it more welcoming of diversity, especially women.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

On the subject of privilege, I read an extremely good article by someone I know on another forum, and she really makes some fantastic points: http://skepchick.org/2011/12/sacrificing-privilege/

Also, http://skepchick.org/ is pretty awesome in general ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Sharrow that is a fantastic article. Between numerous recent experiences in real life and a good few posts on this thread I was really beginning to loose faith in men's ability to get this concept. Sorry I know that's a generalisation, but when u put up with a v sexiest workplace it gets to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

While i understand what the guy is saying, as a male he is 4 times more likely to die a violent death than a woman (stats based on 2005 figures for America).

Given that the argument seems to be that women don't tend to joke about rape/assault because of the swing in stats for sexual assault and domestic violence would it not make sense to apply the argument to his WoW scenario that men will subconciously find themselves referring to crimes that don't affect them as badly rather than joke about one that does i.e murder?

By and large i agree with what he is saying, I don't think it's nice to have an opinion shouted down simply because of your gender, or to be told to "get over" something which may deeply affect you.

I do kind of embrace the theory that the internet leads to a faceless pack mentality and brings out the worst in some folk.

Isn't that a tad disingenuous?

I mean maybe I'm wrong - but how many of these violent deaths are down to the guy putting himself in a position where he's more likely to die a violent death?

By this I mean being part of a drugs gang for example. Most of the violent deaths you hear about on the news here are gang shootings.

So yeah - whilst men may be more likely to die in these circumstances - its really not going to be something I as a male would worry about because I'm not involved in any kind of gang - and no one really wants me dead. (the mods on boards don't know where I live:pac:)

Then when it comes to muggings rape etc - I really would just be far more aware if I was female. The bottom line is if I were a mugger I'd far sooner target a 5'10 woman than a 5'2 male of the same build. On average the chances of them fighting back just seem far reduced.

I dislike this "privilege" meme mostly. I think it's being hijacked a lot in recent times by chancers - but in the case where you quoted - it probably is fair comment

#96 is so true
    i remember a friend going ballistic at the number of times she got asked at MTG games "oh did your boyfriend teach you to play?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I dislike this "privilege" meme mostly. I think it's being hijacked a lot in recent times by chancers
    isn't that one of the attitudes "privilege" seeks to challenge?

• Advertisement
Advertisement