Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Valentines day plans/ideal plans

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

@californiadream
    I think that entirely depends on the type of relationship you're in, but I bet most guys would prefer not to be with someone who would kill them for not buying flowers. It's selfish and childish to demand presents imo.

They'd be 100% right not to get in a relationship with them. It's exactly as you said, selfish and childish to demand presents.
    But, and maybe I've been lucky in life, none of my friends would ever dream of demanding a present. So I'm always curious as to the type of friends some people have that would demand.

As it stands, it's a day in my mind to tell the people you love that you love them. So what if it's a commercial day. I can't see how my relationship would be affected by saying I love you. But I can see how it would be affected by refusing to say it because it's deemed a silly day.

I can, and do, tell my bf I love him throughout the year. If I see something he'd like in a shop I buy it for him. He surprises me with silly things throughout the year. There doesn't have to be a 'day' for it, but that doesn't mean because there is I'm going to ignore it.

If Valentine's Day makes people smile for a few minutes then it's worth it imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Would love to hear a guy's view on this. Do they feel pressurised into buying flowers, going for a meal etc? Do guys honestly think their gf/wife would kill them for not getting them the best things?
    I'm sometimes baffled at how women view other women and the type of 'friends' they have.

Anyways, I've decided to cook lasagna for my boyfriend so he can bring it into work with him. Gonna leave out a small present for him too. It's only about $25 worth but who cares. :)

My girlfriend wouldn't kill me if I didn't get her anything, she's not a demanding/material person, however, I'd get more enjoyment out of giving her something, a small gift or a flower.

So that just what I'm gonna do, I have a meaningful gift that I got a few shillings together for that I know she'll appreciate.

If anything she might kill me for actually getting her something as she knows I have no income currently :p

But sure I'll get enjoyment out of her reaction regardless :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We've never done Valentines the three years, this year he broke with that tradition, I'd bought steak for a nice dinner, and he was off out himself on an existing engagement.

Then through a fluke of nature, he met me tonight at the shops on my way home, we went for a quiet and very enjoyable dinner, and I came home to find a small statue I'd admired recently nestled in a gift bag with a card :)

It was very sweet I have to admit, I did want the statue and debated buying it (it wasn't very expensive, but I'm budgeting at the moment)

I was planning to do his nice dinner, and get his shirts ironed (not by me) this week, something he loves, so all worked out nicely for us with a minimum of tack.

It was very funny the amount of blokes in the shops with cards/flowers/chocolates under their arms!

I did wonder why the lady in the statue shop looked at me funny when I came in with him and asked if my chosen statue was still for sale!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Stheno wrote: »
    We've never done Valentines the three years, this year he broke with that tradition, I'd bought steak for a nice dinner, and he was off out himself on an existing engagement.

Then through a fluke of nature, he met me tonight at the shops on my way home, we went for a quiet and very enjoyable dinner, and I came home to find a small statue I'd admired recently nestled in a gift bag with a card :)

It was very sweet I have to admit, I did want the statue and debated buying it (it wasn't very expensive, but I'm budgeting at the moment)

I was planning to do his nice dinner, and get his shirts ironed (not by me) this week, something he loves, so all worked out nicely for us with a minimum of tack.

It was very funny the amount of blokes in the shops with cards/flowers/chocolates under their arms!

I did wonder why the lady in the statue shop looked at me funny when I came in with him and asked if my chosen statue was still for sale!!

I think thoughtful gifts like that are much better. I got my boyfriend a Gonzo plushie, cause that is what he likes!

I used to work in a shop that sold lots of Valentines gifts and plush bears. I would genuinely feel sick when you would see the guys buying the €100 Me to You bears and the €20 matching cards. Fair enough some girls collect them, but I feel the majority of guys were getting them because they think that is what all girls want. I do collect soft toys, but all of characters I like, not random grey bears if you get me! My boyfriend has gotten me Nintendo ones before, which is very thoughtful :) And I like when guys get a girls favourite flowers, rather than roses, if she has a preference. I don't think many girls would be sad with the generic gift of chocolates though!

My favourite part of working there at Valentines was serving the men who would buy two cards, one to a wife and one to a girlfriend :pac: Ratbags!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

My favourite part of working there at Valentines was serving the men who would buy two cards, one to a wife and one to a girlfriend :pac: Ratbags!

Haha my pal worked at a jeweller over Christmas - "I need a gift for a woman who is not my wife" :rolleyes: :pac:

I wouldn't be into the teddies either really, except if it was Hello Kitty. I've been a massive HK since I was about 9. My ex won me a kitty plush in a claw machine one Valentines, that was cool :)

We said we're doing cards, but I wouldn't be disappointed if I got flowers!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

More great cards!
    GOTvalentines.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think thoughtful gifts like that are much better. I got my boyfriend a Gonzo plushie, cause that is what he likes!

I have to admit it was really nice, he's a bit strange like that, before Christmas I mentioned I wanted a sewing box (really old fashioned I know) but I wanted somewhere to put needles and threads and buttons

He couldn't find one, then we were on holiday one day and came across an old fashioned haberdashers which I commented on.

He made all sorts of mad plans to get in there and check if they had sewing boxes, but was foiled when on the way back to the garage (we were in a village getting my exhaust fixed) I tootled on in and asked about them. Gutted he was, we still laugh about it!

But those are the best gifts, be it that he knows I can find a needle and thread to sew on a button, or that I love my elephant statue, they are full of meaning :)
    Twee. wrote: »
    Haha my pal worked at a jeweller over Christmas - "I need a gift for a woman who is not my wife" :rolleyes: :pac:

I wouldn't be into the teddies either really, except if it was Hello Kitty. I've been a massive HK since I was about 9. My ex won me a kitty plush in a claw machine one Valentines, that was cool :)

We said we're doing cards, but I wouldn't be disappointed if I got flowers!

I get flowers regularly depending on how domestic he is feeling, fresh flowers every couple of weeks is not unusual.

I think I might adapt my "I'd love a "insert item" to jewellery" heeeheeee

Isn't it funny how something thoughtful and unexpected means so much?

I get flowers regularly depending on how domestic he is feeling, fresh flowers every couple of weeks is not unusual.

I think I might adapt my "I'd love a "insert item" to jewellery" heeeheeee

Isn't it funny how something thoughtful and unexpected means so much?

That is so sweet! Fresh flowers are just beautiful, a real pick-me-up!

So far our regular little surprises are Cadbury Fudge bars :p

That is so sweet! Fresh flowers are just beautiful, a real pick-me-up!

So far our regular little surprises are Cadbury Fudge bars :p

He's the sweet tooth, not me, so I always make sure in shopping for groceries to get his favourite chocolate and biscuits :) This weeks surprise shop was Curly Wurlys :) (In case no one has picked it up at home we are very traditional, I shop/cook etc, but we share most other chores)

I love the flowers though, usually lillies (I love lillies) almost two weeks of seeing them brighten up the room!

And he always makes getting them a surprise, I arrive home and they are there in the couple of flower vases we have, cheering up the house!

Last year he apparently suffered a fit of madness and considered sending me flowers on Valentines to my new job! Sanity however prevailed and we had a non Valentines. He's set a precedent now though heee heeeeeeeeee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

My husband got me 24 roses! I did not expect that - he also gave me 2 cards and a dress. He did not make a fuss of something last week that is very important to me (5 years since my total oesophagectomy) so he made up for it.

Now to spend the day with my daddy, we will be visiting mummy's grave and putting flowers on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

So Ladies I have a Valentines related dilemma. Having always been single I have been dating a man casually since before Christmas. He asked my address last week so I thought great I'll get a card maybe. However he text a soppy message including apologetically the fact he deleted my address by mistake (ya right) so couldn't send one. I'm unsure as to how to reply! I'm a little disappointed I might add..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Tell him thanks for the thought and to wear clean cacks and you will see him later with some x's and o's at the end of the message. Then pick up his favourite confectionary and show up with it stuffed down your cleavage. Make some effort back like.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

WindSock wrote: »
    Tell him thanks for the thought and to wear clean cacks and you will see him later with some x's and o's at the end of the message. Then pick up his favourite confectionary and show up with it stuffed down your cleavage. Make some effort back like.
    <3 this :D

Won't see himself tonight but we just spent the weekend at a posh hotel celebrating our first Christmas/valentines as a couple so that'll do me. It'll be me, taped episodes of bones and the packet of love hearts he got me tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's a Tuesday, is there football on? :pac:

Barcelona vs Bayer Leverkusen. That'll do pig, that'll do. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Pizza, beer and the Champions League for me.

Roll on Bayer Leverkusen.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I believe the Oatmeal Valentine's Day cards are appropriate at this point. :)

I am totally getting one of those for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

WindSock wrote: »

Hmm very tempting!

I opted for a "Oh haha the flowers are gorgeous, you shouldn't have, thanks". Not one for mind games or such but the first day of my life I was ever expecting/likely to get a valentines card I didn't get one:(. Damn singledom and this lousy day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I am in my apartment making a philosophy presentation (WHY we are doing philosophy this semester is beyond me) for college. Later I think I'll clean my room and then bed early because I've a deadly exciting programming lab in the morning. :( That's my Valentines!

I just got flowers delivered to work. I'm likely to kill him (at least I assume it was him, there was no card :confused:) But nonetheless it was very nice seeing as he's out of country. My Mam gave me a box of milktray last night, I'm going to scoff them while watching the biggest loser tonight!

• Advertisement

I just got flowers delivered to work. I'm likely to kill him (at least I assume it was him, there was no card :confused:) But nonetheless it was very nice seeing as he's out of country. My Mam gave me a box of milktray last night, I'm going to scoff them while watching the biggest loser tonight!

Awww that's sweet :)

I'm home alone working late :)

Well oh my goodness! I came home from the library at half nine to find a dozen roses waiting for me, and a little note saying "hope the essay is going well x". Such a surprise, so delighted!

Well oh my goodness! I came home from the library at half nine to find a dozen roses waiting for me, and a little note saying "hope the essay is going well x". Such a surprise, so delighted!

Aren't the surprises so "happy"?

Aren't the surprises so "happy"?

Too happy! God I think my face was sore from smiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mcmacness

Spent the evening eating myself into oblivion with my housemate who's also single. Who needs a man when you have prawn cocktail crisps? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

I got beautiful flowers delivered to my work yesterday. I was really surprised and delighted, mostly because I'm working overseas with an NGO and I can't imagine it was very easy for himself (who is back in Ireland) to organise a flower delivery here. There's certainly no Interflora where I live. Don't know how he did it but I was chuffed, especially since it's our first Valentines apart in 4 years.

My colleagues thought it was the sweetest thing, they don't do Valentines here at all but loved the idea of it. They kept coming into my office to fawn over the flowers! Couldn't wipe the silly grin off my face all day. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I went out to dinner with my boyfriend, and then onto the Tea Garden on Ormond Quay. Great place!

I made him brownies and he gave me a chain with a little crane charm attached.I love cranes so it's a really thoughtful present.:)

The most romantic part?This morning,when I woke up with an upset stomach and he rang into work saying he'd be a bit late so he could look after me.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

We were both broke this year so we organised a night at home and cooked dinner together. Mr.Boyfriend bought me flowers and a few other treats but the best present was to my daughter. She is 6 years of age and a real girly girl, and he bought her a single red rose, a kinder egg (her favourite), and gave her a card too. She was thrilled to bits and he helped her put her rose in water and put it by her bed and she wanted it beside her "all night". To see her so thrilled was the best present he gave me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

ellieh1 wrote: »
    We were both broke this year so we organised a night at home and cooked dinner together. Mr.Boyfriend bought me flowers and a few other treats but the best present was to my daughter. She is 6 years of age and a real girly girl, and he bought her a single red rose, a kinder egg (her favourite), and gave her a card too. She was thrilled to bits and he helped her put her rose in water and put it by her bed and she wanted it beside her "all night". To see her so thrilled was the best present he gave me.
    I am delighted that your boyfriend gave that to her - you have a good one!

My husband rang me up to check my food press - he had a card in there also :)

I am currently unwaged so I got him fabric pens that I will print on a t-shirt - also got white baby vests for my son that I will print on and will personalise a bib for my daughter.

The creche helped my son to make a card, box, sweets and muffin for me - my son, husband and I ate the sweets and muffin but the box and card are my treasures.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

ellieh1 wrote: »
    Loveliest post I have read in a very long time. That is the most heart warming story. What a lovely man.

Advertisement