Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How far would you go?

• 14-02-2012 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

After a thread on parenting I thought I would put the question here.

I've told my daughter who us 12 that if she is ever attacked by a male ( who intended to either abduct or rape her) ways to defend herself, now what I've told her us to attack the eyes, gouge the eyes out, bite them hard so hard they bleed and to even rip the skin with her teeth, in other words if the hand is over her mouth to prevent her from screaming ultimately bite down so hard she bites their finger off. Other ways would be to punch or elbow them in the throat. Knee them in the balls . I've also told her that getting blood, saliva and hair off her assailant will help in a conviction if she got away or he ran away and abandoned his attack. My 12 year old us well aware that some who are attacked don't survive.

Now would this be over the top, my own personal view is I will defend myself to the death he it mine or my attackers, I'm not going to lie there and take it to be murdered afterwards.

Now if it ever happened I'm sure nothing goes to plan. But with DNA technology if I were to die I would hope that I got the attackers DNA either in my teeth or under my fingernails, my blood on his clothes and so on.

Have any of you in the ladies lounge ever thought how far you would go or what you would do if you were attacked.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Maybe it's the day that's in it, but there's something incredibly discomforting about the thought of sitting here pondering how violent I would be willing to behave if I were attacked. The OP (post, not person) strikes me as odd, demeaning and wrong on so many levels.

For the record, I have been assaulted. Once by a stranger, once by someone known to me. In both cases for all the best laid plans, I froze physically, and in both cases it was my screams that saved me (the first got scared away, the second alerted my neighbours to call the police).

Is it good practice to suggest that someone use whatever means possible to escape from attack? Of course it is. Pondering the details of what organs are game for 'whatever means'? Nrrrrghgghgh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

if you took up Krav Maga its all defence techniques with emphasis on blunt trauma and weak points on a body, throat punching, foot stomping, fishhooking etc, as a guy I've often wondered if I could handle myself in a fight or if attacked by multiple assailants on a night out or something, have only ever been in two fights and they were a long time ago, completely unprovoked both times too. Knowing how to defend yourself if good but I dont sit around pondering where I'd punch someone if it came to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Maybe it's because I'm not a parent but I cannot see myself ever sitting down with a 12 year old child and advocating such violence to them like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I think it's a really strange question to be honest, you would like to think you would go as far as it takes to get away.

Also, sometimes you don't have an option but to just lie there. Once they get their weight on your arms there is not much you can do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Discussing the type of violence one would/should use when being attacked is really not an appropriate discussion topic for tLL.

Apart from being unnecessarily gratuitous it's also something none of us can say with any certainty until we're actually in that horrifying position so any discussion on the matter is moot.

For those reasons, thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement