Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Actress...

• 12-02-2012 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

Just watching the Baftas there and Stephen Fry made a joke about women wanting to be called actors until there is an award category for 'best actress'
    Do you think that there should be separate categories or just have one single 'best actor' to cover both? Surely it is still just acting, regardless of gender? Or are the two categories necessary for displaying m/f role models?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Had this conversation with someone about whether foreign films should be separate from the "main" films, along with animation and shorts. I would guess that it's for the sake of prolonging award broadcasts (because they make quite a bit of money). Otherwise, there would only be one acting award (male, female, supporting all in one) and one film award and that wouldn't do because the advertisers need to get their money's worth.

I guess to sum up, I think that acting is acting but that if there is going to be such a thing as "awards season" and all these award shows, there needs to be categories to justify having them.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

I'd keep it as is but call it the "best female or best male actor" award

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

They're two different roles so there should be two different awards.

You can't give the hurler of the year award to the footballer of the year. Playing a woman and all the physical, emotional characteristics of such requires different skills to playing a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah but its still women playing women and men playing men. And its all just acting. Whats the difference between acting as Thatcher to acting as Hoover? ( J Edgar, not a vacuum cleaner )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

WindSock wrote: »
    Yeah but its still women playing women and men playing men. And its all just acting. Whats the difference between acting as Thatcher to acting as Hoover? ( J Edgar, not a vacuum cleaner )

You just happened to pick 2 characters who wore frocks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I agree with the person who said they should be "Best Male Actor" and "Best Female Actor". They fulfil different roles, but either way the person is an actor regardless.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

WindSock wrote: »

Hilary Swank won and Oscar for Boys Don't Cry and Felicity Huffman got nominated for Transamerica, both in the Best Actress category.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Hilary Swank won and Oscar for Boys Don't Cry and Felicity Huffman got nominated for Transamerica, both in the Best Actress category.

Cate Blanchett should have got one for I'm Not There too.

I dunno, I don't have a problem with it being split by gender provided the same accolade is given to both winners.

It would be interesting to see if there was an overall acting prize, who would win.

The Oscars are a circle-jerk popularity contest in a lot of ways, especially for the top prizes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Had this conversation with someone about whether foreign films should be separate from the "main" films, along with animation and shorts. I would guess that it's for the sake of prolonging award broadcasts (because they make quite a bit of money). Otherwise, there would only be one acting award (male, female, supporting all in one) and one film award and that wouldn't do because the advertisers need to get their money's worth.

I guess to sum up, I think that acting is acting but that if there is going to be such a thing as "awards season" and all these award shows, there needs to be categories to justify having them.

The awards season always gets me down. But if I had to sit through a ceremony; it would be for "foreign films" as a lot of stuff that comes out of the UK these days is self-congratulory award chasing bumf. IMHO, of course.

Yes, but it is still just acting out a role. It doesnt require either to be male or female. Neither possess seperate strengths and weaknesses, not in the same sense as sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Jaye Davidson was nominated for best actor as a man playing a woman, and Linda Hunt won a best actress awared for playing a man, not even a trans character she just played a male role in The Year Of Living Dangerously, same as Glenn Close in Albert Nobbs.

The only good thing that would come out of there being only one category for best actor and best supporting actor would be the oscars would be about an hour shorter :pac:

Well the point isnt even about males acting in female roles and vice versa. Again, its all just acting so separating them into categories seems irrelevant. They don't have a best female director category for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I work in film and most people on set just say actor, none of this actor/actress rubbish. They are all just acting regardless of wither some people think playing a male or female character requires "different skills"....by that logic we'd have a dozen different awards for best teen, best middle age, best historical, best OAP etc etc You just have director, producer, cinematographer - no need to gender assign those roles. Drives me mad sometimes, just like when people say "male nurse" - he's a bloody nurse, get over it!

But I get the logic behind it as that's what people are turning on the show to see so the more acting awards they have the better as far as the award show producers are concerned. The average viewer wants to see Brad Pitt or other random "celebrities"

Having different awards for foreign films is slightly different as those are generally not open awards but ones the country puts forward for selection and are very helpful in getting countries with much smaller film industries some recognition on an international stage plus films nominated for that award can still be nominated for the main best picture nod while an actor can't also be nominated for best actress or vice versa.

Advertisement