Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you spend on rent/mortgage?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Gael23 wrote: »
    It’s a 2 bed apartment so sharing with one other. Will take home ~€2.4k a month and €900 for this place. It’s in South Dublin also.

Sounds pretty decent, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

How does that work for you? Do you find you have enough left for everything else.
    I’m single and I have decent savings already so I’m good that way. I’m getting a €10k pay rise for this job so I guess most of the extra will go.

I can get by month to month, with a bit of mindful budgeting.
    I save a little too ~10%
    I'm not in the capital though, so cannot attest to the place!
    You should be grand with your pay rise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

About 15% of my salary on my mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Thread belongs in Acommodation & Property. Please note the local charter there if mods reopen the thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Thanks Baggly, thread re-opened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

So many people pay much more than 40% for rent. The other option is sharing or signing up for a social welfare assistance (or both).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It’s a 2 bed apartment so sharing with one other. Will take home ~€2.4k a month and €900 for this place. It’s in South Dublin also.

You'll live like a hermit.

40% is way too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

15% on mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Around 15% currently - mortgage on apartment.

In the process of buying a new place (house), which will probably double my current monthly payment but am keeping existing apartment which will pay for itself + small surplus after taxes and other costs.

I occasionally get a bonus pay check so the plan is the chip away at the principal of the PPR over time to reduce the term and/or repayments. Ideally 20% or less would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

35% of my net goes on renting a room :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

23% of our combined net salary goes on our mortgage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

14% of combined salary on mortgage.

This is a kind of how long is a piece of string question though. A lot of people pay a high proportion of wages to housing in their early career then as time passes and their salary goes up that percentage comes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

About 27% of combined salaries on mortgage for a 4bed in Ashbourne

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

17% of combined take home on current house - first house was ~30% of combined with payback on loans for deposit/stamp duty first home rose to 40% for first 3 years .
    Them times were tough

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Percent of earnings is a useless number. You'd better consider how much you get to keep after regular expenses and see if you can live off it comfortably, uncomfortably or struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

On our baseline mortgage repayment we pay 15.8% of our household Net income (single income household).

We voluntarily overpay our mortgage up to 27% of Net pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

9% of net household income with two people working. 40% is an awful lot and well above the norm imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

28% of our net pay goes on rent each month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

40% is an awful lot

Agreed
    well above the norm imo.

Disagreed. I wouldn't say it it well above the norm, especially with the current rental prices in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

mortgage is 1750- about 17% of our combined monthly net take home pay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,373 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The State charges ~15% of income for rent of social housing.

I assume this is what is the maximum acceptable level of accommodation cost

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Disagreed. I wouldn't say it it well above the norm, especially with the current rental prices in Dublin

41%, renting a fairly old house in South Dublin (single income family).

I know lots of people stuck in same situation. Happy to move for cheaper in any normal market, but there's no price variation across greater Dublin region now, basically anyone leasing a converted garden shed to a waterside apartment is looking for 1000+ per room. It's that or move away and spend 2+ hours a day in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Cocobongo

We pay €1,100 p/m from our take home €6,500 combined. It’s not bad as being 16%, but still is a huge amount for a small flat when you think about it, some people seem to be paying lower % too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

15% of our combined net pay goes on the mortgage each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

37% 1750 for a 2 bed that genuinely, is in dire shape with very dated appliances and furniture. When we see brand new ones going for 1850 we feel very ripped off. South Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

34% on mortgage.

However percentage is a bad number, consider disposable income after all bills are paid.

Also, people fail to consider wage growth, mortgages (I know you're considering renting) stay fairly stable but wages/salaries tend to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lasalle

20% for 3bed mortgage, single income family of 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Dawido

€60 from €2250 net pay which is about 2%. Living with parents arm but migrating soon as housing is broken in this state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Bought my house in 2010 and mortgage was about 990 at the time, I was earning 36000 a year or about about 2700 a month take home so it was 35% at the time.
    Now the girlfriend lives with me we take home a combined 8000 approx and mortgage is 930 now so it's about 11.5% of combined. Felt both were manageable to be honest, more so now obviously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,158 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Talking to a lad who was in the US for years. When he first arrived an uncle of his advised him he be paid by the month(4 week) in the job he was going into. He said his rent should cost him no more than a weeks pay, he should be able to have a good lifestyle on two weeks pay and to save a weeks pay out of every check. He always followed this thinking

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement