Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you spend on rent/mortgage?

Options
  • 11-06-2019 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭

I’m looking at renting this gorgeous apartment but it’s 40% of my wage every month just on rent.
    Is this average these days or what do people spend?

Comments

Gael23 wrote: »
    I’m looking at renting this gorgeous apartment but it’s 40% of my wage every month just on rent.

depends on yr income and what the rent is

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

40% is too high.

We spend about 18% on our rent, and we are saving another 30% for mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’m more talking about proportions but the rent is €900 a month which is 35-40% of my take home salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

25% of my take home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Its high enough but definitely not unheard of. Would you really want 40% going on that alone though?

• Advertisement

I’m more talking about proportions but the rent is €900 a month which is 35-40% of my take home salary.

rent is 25% of my takehome, two of us in a one bed tho!

another 25% into savings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

too much - walk away. It's probably a kip, not as advertised or you will be sharing with 20 other optimistic people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

14% of two combined incomes. 40% is unworkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

40% seems high, when renting I aimed to keep it below 25% of take home.

Currently paying 15% on a mortgage with another 15% on commuting, not ideal but if the job goes so does the commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

E750 pm, 4 bed semi, Kells approx 12% of household take home

Very much the exception I know & we are very lucky, no increase in 4 years living there. Our landlord lives abroad & is happy just to have a family looking after the place at rent that covers her mortgage

after a 4 year wait with one thing and another hoping to start our house built later this year....if we can get a builder...

• Advertisement

It’s a 2 bed apartment so sharing with one other. Will take home ~€2.4k a month and €900 for this place. It’s in South Dublin also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

It’s a 2 bed apartment so sharing with one other. Will take home ~€2.4k a month and €900 for this place. It’s in South Dublin also.

Any travel costs?

amcalester wrote: »
    Any travel costs?
    Supermarket, work and gym are all within a half mile radius. Only travel cost would be going down home at weekends so €20-25 on those weeks. Plus Luas into town if I wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Not renting atm, but my husband and I have a combined monthly income of €2500, and average rent for a 2 bed in the area we need to be in is €1600 pm so... I'd love to only pay 40% on rent!

900 for own bedroom near luas in a decent place....

i mean look i hate to say it but thats not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭endacl

About 5% ish on two mortgages.

We got lucky with timing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭ZilkyG

€1950 per month rent for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We pay approx 20% of monthly net Income (excluding Child Benefit) on our Mortgage. Single Income Family.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,154 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Roughly 10% of my monthly wages. (Halfs on the mortgage with my OH).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Not quite 40, but mine is 39.76% of my monthly salary :(

• Advertisement

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Not quite 40, but mine is 39.76% of my monthly salary :(
    How does that work for you? Do you find you have enough left for everything else.
    I’m single and I have decent savings already so I’m good that way. I’m getting a €10k pay rise for this job so I guess most of the extra will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The mortgage for me is similar - 40%, but we are two paying so more like 22%

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm single and renting a one bed just outside Dublin. It works out about 1/3 of my income. I'm lucky though, most places go for far more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

I pay €855 in Rathmines. I used to live on Talbot Street and paid €625 for that.

While expensive, my current place has everything I could possibly need in walking distance and it’s safe, has a lovely atmosphere and I’m allowed have my doggo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I have mortgages on a few properties. The rent is covering them all, and I own the apartment I’m living in outright. The family home had the mortgage paid off a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

12%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    I pay €855 in Rathmines. I used to live on Talbot Street and paid €625 for that.

While expensive, my current place has everything I could possibly need in walking distance and it’s safe, has a lovely atmosphere and I’m allowed have my doggo.

That sounds excellent for Rathmines.

We have had 2 different people leave their jobs in my place recently, both because they couldnt find anywhere affordable to live and there is another guy just been told his LL is selling the property so he is looking to leave Ireland altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You should probably ask in your regional forum OP to get numbers for people around you rather than on a national level.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Our house is 600 Euro a month between us, so spend 300 a month on rent each. My take home pay varies every month, but it's approx 2200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

25% of monthly net pay.

but we went for a shorter mortgage.

Advertisement