Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Ah fer fecks sake , that was 1979 !

Yes, I remember it well.

Me too ! ;)

I remember seeing them in Leixlip Castle supporting The Police shortly after 11 o'clock Tick Tock, I think ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

SeanHurley wrote: »
    I'm in DC Tempest.

how is young wardy doin? still lugging the heavy stuff for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭SeanHurley

how is young wardy doin? still lugging the heavy stuff for you?

Ha ha no not any more, he did kit out our rehearsal space for us there last year tho an he still comes to all the gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Me too ! ;)

I remember seeing them in Leixlip Castle supporting The Police shortly after 11 o'clock Tick Tock, I think ...
    Me too. I saw them in the Arcadia in Cork round about the same time and left cos I thought they were awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

old gregg wrote: »
    Me too. I saw them in the Arcadia in Cork round about the same time and left cos I thought they were awful.

They're lucky Boards wasn't around then so:D

I saw them in the Dandelion Market and thought they were ok.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

U2 had no problems doing a battle of the bands, it actually got them a lot of recognition.

Yeah, and if you read up on it, you'll find the Battle of the Bands competition U2 entered was rigged for them to win.

That's how show bizzness works.

I've been at "Battle of the Bands" competitions, where the only other people in the audience were the other bands waiting to go up and do their thing.

I really love (this is being sarcastic) all the ****ty little tricks played on kids in bands and their friends to get them to come to crap nights out.

But I shouldn't be negative.

Bill Cullen has turned my life around - even though he's on the verge of bankruptcy and only being bailed out by Fianna Failers changing the MOT conditions - so he can flog more cars, as his other business ventures are turning into disaster. BUT HE STILL HAS A POSITIVE ATTITUDE.

To be a success, you have to be positive and listen to Bill Cullen - the secret to sucess is getting up a 4 in the morning to sell penny apples to an empty street for five hours - because nothing opens til 9.

To be a success there are three things you must do; One: Bull****, Two: Bull****, Three: Bull****.

Saying that.

I'm running a battle of the bands with real serious prizes.

1. €250,000 of studio time.
    2. A major album release. On a new Major Irish record label.
    3. Pop superstar super success.

Entry: Must bring 50 of your friends and cousins from Coolock - €10 a pop at the door, and €50 entry fee for the competition. €1,000 gets you a headline slot. €4,000 makes sure you get in the top 3. €10,000 and the competion is your's.

krd wrote: »

Yeah, and if you read up on it, you'll find the Battle of the Bands competition U2 entered was rigged for them to win.

That's how show bizzness works.

I've been at "Battle of the Bands" competitions, where the only other people in the audience were the other bands waiting to go up and do their thing.

I really love (this is being sarcastic) all the ****ty little tricks played on kids in bands and their friends to get them to come to crap nights out.

Bill Cullen has turned my life around - even though he's on the verge of bankruptcy and only being bailed out by Fianna Failers changing the MOT conditions - so he can flog more cars, as his other business ventures are turning into disaster. BUT HE STILL HAS A POSITIVE ATTITUDE.

To be a success, you have to be positive and listen to Bill Cullen - the secret to sucess is getting up a 4 in the morning to sell penny apples to an empty street for five hours - because nothing opens til 9.

To be a success there are three things you must do; One: Bull****, Two: Bull****, Three: Bull****.

Saying that.

Entry: Must bring 50 of your friends and cousins from Coolock - €10 a pop at the door, and €50 entry fee for the competition. €1,000 gets you a headline slot. €4,000 makes sure you get in the top 3. €10,000 and the competion is your's.

Good stuff, Apples is so yesterday though. It's all hot cakes now as they sell like hot cakes ( has anyone ever bought a hot cake?)

Can I pay for all 3 winning slots out of my winnings?

[€10,000 and the competion is your's.

Is the extra apostrophe thrown in ?

Is the extra apostrophe thrown in ?

Big Deal Paul.

I've got more important things to worry about that apostrophes.

Like the Dublin rocks compilation I'm putting together. 10 of the hottest Dublin rock bands all brought together on the one CD - free when you sign up for a monthly donation to trocaire from one of those people who keeps wanting to shake your hand when you're walking down Grafton street or whatever.

I've just heard from Sony records - they're willing to pitch in another €250,000 recording expenses to my battle of the bands - that brings the prize up to €500,000 in recording fees. Looks like I'll have to adjust all my other fees to reflect what's in the pot. Can't go flushing that away.

Feck it , may I enter my band , "The Superfluous Apsotrophes" ?

• Advertisement

Feck it , may I enter my band , "The Superfluous Apsotrophes" ?

No point, I've already won first, second and third prize. and I have the receipts to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Like the Dublin rocks compilation I'm putting together.

oh oh I know that one. Thats where you collect a lot of big stones and pile them together isnt it?

No point, I've already won first, second and third prize. and I have the receipts to prove it.

Joking aside. There were people who used to make a living out of doing this kind of crap.

Good thing they're all gone these days.

And the bizzness is just left with solid, decent, honest people.

If you've got a great recording I'd love to hear it - so would all the industry insiders I know. I just need €250 for postage stamps to send it to the small players I know, €500 for the medium, and €1,500 for the big players. I can get you a big London showcase gig, with only industry insiders for €3,500.

Joking aside. There were people who used to make a living out of doing this kind of crap.

Good thing they're all gone these days.

And the bizzness is just left with solid, decent, honest people.

If you've got a great recording I'd love to hear it - so would all the industry insiders I know. I just need €250 for postage stamps to send it to the small players I know, €500 for the medium, and €1,500 for the big players. I can get you a big London showcase gig, with only industry insiders for €3,500.

Ok so, will cash do?

Stop being so negative.

When I met U2 first they were nobodies. And I couched them. I told them to stop being so negative. And then look at them.

The only problem with people in Ireland succedding is negativity.

And I am will to give my anti-negativity course at a reduced fee to anyone who has the balls to drop their negativity and put their money where their mouth is.......and stop whinging and become a SUCCESSS.

€250 for a four hour seminar - reduced fee for people on the dole - €200

SUCCESS IS WAITING FOR YOU - IF YOU'D ONLY DROP YOU NEGATIVITY.

SUCCESSS IS WAITING FOR YOU!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

And I couched them.

What, with one of these? :eek:

couch.jpg

Very funny TelePaul.

Very funny... but... also very negative :(

You know if you just dropped that negativity, there's no telling how far you could go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Or, horror of horrors, they think it IS good enough ?

for younger bands, this IS the case! Most young and inexperienced bands have no cash, and dont understand the recording process so they go to the dreaded "garage" studio who advertise on bebo/myspace. with offers like "300 euro for 12 hours, 10 song limit", they sound great (ironic pun :) ) to these bands, who think they can record an album in 1 day!!!!

That's not my quote there Frank

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

youre just too famous for your own good there paul

• Advertisement

for younger bands, this IS the case! Most young and inexperienced bands have no cash, and dont understand the recording process so they go to the dreaded "garage" studio who advertise on bebo/myspace. with offers like "300 euro for 12 hours, 10 song limit", they sound great (ironic pun :) ) to these bands, who think they can record an album in 1 day!!!!

Nirvana's Bleach was recorded in a day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleach_(album)#Recording

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

it says in the same article that the band were billed for 30 hours..

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

novarock wrote: »
    it says in the same article that the band were billed for 30 hours..

This is what happens when musicians and engineers are allowed to deal with money:

How many hous are there in a day?

I don't know? 24?

Then let's just round up to 30.

Sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭SeanHurley

I think they were billed for 30 hours because they did 6 five hour sessions no? December 24, 29-31, Jan 14 and 24?

SeanHurley wrote: »
    I think they were billed for 30 hours because they did 6 five hour sessions no? December 24, 29-31, Jan 14 and 24?

Yes, I was just joshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Saying that.

Agreed, positive attitude is key.. Focus & Bull****ting well are good also.

I'd also like to pay from the winnings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Yeah but it kind of sucks...is that drum intro in 'About a Girl' out of time?

TelePaul wrote: »
    Yeah but it kind of sucks...is that drum intro in 'About a Girl' out of time?

It sucked all the way to millions of units sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Lads did my 1st battle of the bands last night.... (honestly never ever done one)

it was rigged for us not to win, how weird is that then.... :D

• Advertisement

PMI wrote: »
    Lads did my 1st battle of the bands last night.... (honestly never ever done one)

it was rigged for us not to win, how weird is that then.... :D

So the plan worked?

We're actually considering not doing the Phantom thing.

There's another good gig we could do the same week...

I'm not against BOTBs, but I'd rather play a good gig I guess.

Who won the thing last night then?

Advertisement